Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Archangel_07
Msg: 53
Motorcycle rides as first dates?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
I would like to buy a motorcycle for myself but will not be driving women around on it during a first date. A few dates of getting to know a lady first and then going from there. If she wants to hop on and trusts me, then we coo.
 bchbum1092
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Motorcycle rides as first dates?
Posted: 11/4/2012 1:51:36 PM
I ride bikes all the time but would never ask someone to go with me on a first date. First how do you talk ? how would you know I have been on bikes for 40 years. I don't want to dress in my Harley clothes on the first or second date .. But it is important that they like bikes and will at a later date after they trust me
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/4/2012 3:00:59 PM
I get mail from bikers too, no way am I getting on the back with any of them..
I rode a Harley for 8 years, many of those in a male motorcycle club. Woman aren't members, & many clubs don't allow non members to ride.
I have seen so many people, not in the club but in the biker world, do stupid, reckless, dangerous things. Many are show offs, & don't know how to correctly handle a bike, don't have a lot of road experience & aren't qualified to ride alone much less with a passenger.
I have seen them speed 40 miles over the speed limit on side streets full of children playing, ride 90 miles an hour with one hand, drive on curved rural roads in the oncoming traffic lane, change lanes uphill on curves, take turns to fast, cut off cars, zig zag in between cars, & get drunk & ride. I can go on all day.
They should also have a minumun of 10,000 miles before they take on a passenger. They should also know how to teach a passenger to be a good passenger & not do anything dangerous like lean, try to steer or control the bike, etc.
You are absoulty correct in your decision not to get on the bike, & I have no idea why they want to do that on a first date, maybe to impress you.
 Paderic
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/4/2012 3:34:23 PM
I would never ask someone to ride on the back of my bike. I don't want anyone back there, no matter how petite they might be.

I also don't care to ride in groups, especially these yahoos that like to ride in tight formations. I will ride with someone I know so long as they understand I want a SAFE distance between us.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/4/2012 4:06:30 PM
Hey, does second date count?

I met a gent for lunch, hit it off pretty good. He said he had a Harley and wanted to know if I was game to go for a ride on the next date--I said sure. (Yeah, I know he could have been an ax murderer or something so I checked him out with a local HOG that knew him despite the distance. He was highly recommended and, honestly, I think some of the ladies of the group were envious.)

I thought it would be like a few miles round trip, but heck no---we went on a 100 mile ride up along the coast--was awesome!!! (I keep in pretty good shape but my legs were killing me after that run).

That started a relationship that lasted for several months, really great guy. We differed enough to both realize that we probably weren't potential lifetime material together, though, plus we lived far apart and neither could move at that time.

I still think fondly of him though--that sonofagun could ride!
 MotoGPatrick
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/4/2012 10:43:29 PM
I don't pitch the ride as a date idea.

If they ask I will consider it. If it seems like they are the type that can not only fit but understand my briefing on being a pillion it is a go. I have a second helmet with blue tooth communication between the two.

Since I don't ride a 1000 pound chromed out couch I have never had anyone out of shape on the back seat of the Ducati nor do I try to go touring with someone back there. Wrong tool for the job. Just a short, sane, thrilling and still safety conscious ride to entertain.

I have never had any issues with it.

I do like it when they ask.. I also like it if they ask to learn how to operate a bike. I get the little dual sport out and coach them with the bluetooth intercom. I am a good teacher.

As for those not into bikes.. To each their own. If they are afraid of bikes, scared of horses, have 2 billion allergies, severe asthma or get sea sick after 5 minutes on a sailboat.. It just wont work.. go be boring in your safety bubble for all I care.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/6/2012 12:32:27 AM
Maybe go to a biker bar, and watch him ride. Don't think I would hop on first date.
 Paderic
Msg: 61
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:27:05 AM

You can't talk during the ride unless you're screaming back and forth

Actually, there are a lot of bluetooth devices available for helmets that make it possible to talk at a conversational volume.

The bigger worry is the helmet you're wearing. Chances are, it doesn't fit your head properly.
 chelseajkt1
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 11/6/2012 5:44:43 PM
I wouldn't get on a motorcycle period. My body is to damaged to take any more chances with it. I've had 2 major car accidents in the past 12 years and that's eneough.
 Paderic
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/6/2012 7:31:03 PM

Okay, so even if you have a bluetooth and can talk, there's no eye contact, you're talking to the back of a helmet. Sounds awesome.

Personally, I don't want the distraction when I'm on a motorcycle. I don't like music when I'm riding, either.

Nope, riding is strictly solo for me. Riding with someone who had her own bike would be cool, though.
 flowergrl71
Msg: 64
Posted: 11/9/2012 7:58:54 AM
I went on a ride with someone as part of our first date and we went through the park and it was the most fun I'd had. I had never been on one before. It felt good to hold them up close. So yeah I would ride on one again. Probably not now since it is cold but I probably would do it again on a first date.
 HaydenFan
Msg: 65
Posted: 11/9/2012 3:07:40 PM
I don't ride two up. Guess I'd have to get something with two seats first and those aren't my kinda fun...Not having a rear seat does cut down on girls asking though.

From 25 years experience, it's not safe to ride passengers. The handling and brakes go to sh!t and granny doesn't care if your ol' lady's on the back when she pulls out in front of you.

Wear all your gear every time and buy your own bike ladies. Don't ride double with some idiot that bought a bike to pick up chicks. They are the worse riders on the roads.
 tonyd48
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2012 9:36:19 AM
Highly unlikely on a first meeting unless we really really sync. Perhaps on second or later meet. Prior to putting a passenger on the back of the bike I make a very clear statement: "don't care how much you've ridden on the back, please do the following: stay parallel with my body, I lean left you lean left, I lean right, you lean right. Keep one hand on the rack or seat or my body at all times. If I tap your leg I'm not sneaking a feel, we have something coming up you should be aware of, pot holes, speed bumps, curbs whatever. Something can happen at any moment when I may not have time to tap your leg, pay attention. I don't want to scare you, it's wonderful to ride on a motorcycle, let's stay alive by staying awake at all times and paying attention to the road ahead, beside, behind everywhere."
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/12/2012 10:13:45 AM
So many women are not trusting enough to do anything that would put them in the slightest bit of danger on a first date. I would think that getting on the back of someones bike would qualify as putting alot of trust in another person for your safety.

I can see it being a good idea for a date if you went for a ride together but both of you were on your own bikes.

Personally I have no desire to be on the back of someones motorcycle ever again. I did that when I was 16 and I needed a ride home with a buddy who was a wildman - I prefer to take risks when I have a fair bit of control over the level of risk I am taking.
 Texan_Gal
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/13/2012 5:27:31 PM
Actually, I did... and hadn't agreed to beforehand. It was about five years ago; I met a guy and agreed to hang out sometime. We talked and he said he'd pick me up at my place, so I waited at the front of the apartment complex for him, and he pulled up on a motorcycle. I was totally taken aback, considering 1) he hadn't mentioned he'd be picking me up on a motorcycle, and 2) I'd never ridden a motorcycle before. I was pretty terrified, but I didn't have a car back then to offer to take instead, and maybe I was a little curious about it, so I slapped on the helmet and went for it. It was definitely a blast, no doubt about that, but I have no interest in riding a motorcycle again or dating a guy who rides, just because it's so dangerous.
 ladylady349
Msg: 69
Posted: 2/28/2013 12:32:16 PM
Well carolann0308, I am in my 60's and shopping for a trike motorcycle at present because I can.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 70
Posted: 2/28/2013 12:47:08 PM
I wouldn't take a motorclye ride on a first date or ANY date. Hate them. He can ride it all he wants on his own time.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/28/2013 1:04:03 PM
yeah, if he crashes and a 200lbs man lands on top of me..yeah...no lol
 purfectblonde169
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2013 3:42:37 PM
i think its nice that he wants to take you for a motorcycle ride. its showing hes different fun spontanious, boy I think it sounds fun . right now its a little cool to be going for a ride . if you do go wear warm clothing. Lighten up have a good time. Feel that vibration girl ... lol
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 73
Posted: 2/28/2013 8:15:14 PM
why would I wreck a sixteen thousand dollar bike just to hurt your daughter

I guess if her mother figured the bike was worth significanlty more than your dates health and well being that statement would make sense. That statement makes it sound like you value the bike above her.
 NoMad770
Msg: 74
Posted: 2/28/2013 9:29:39 PM
I've been around motorcycles for a large part of my life and absolutely love them. With that said, I wouldn't invite a girl on a motorcycle ride as the first date. Sounds like an awesome idea, but the truth is, you don't know the girl, if she's going to be too scared or what she's going to do on it, and since she controls part of the ride, she is putting your life in danger and her own. I've given rides to girls without knowing them, but in hindsight should not have.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:48:06 AM

I'll go ahead, and check statistics on how many vehicle and motorcycle accidents there are per yer.

Make sure you factor into the statistics the number of vehicle hours driven by both types of vehicles into those statistics.
 gnirps
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:24:26 AM
I remember when I dated a very nice woman and she liked riding on the back of my "Harley" as much as I enjoyed riding in her "Mustang" convertible. I'd rather be beside the woman in a car. But the short rides on a bike is fun too.

Remember when ?
 tomiamiam
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/2/2013 8:46:52 AM
Bad idea in my mind. Having your own transportation to a first date seems better to me, Also, you don't know the motorcyclist's skill set. Just because you own a big, shiny Harley doesn't mean you know how to ride it. I had a MSF instructor tell my safety class: "You have to be willing to be DEAD RIGHT, if you want to ride a motorcycle." Meaning many fatals are the result of other drivers' errors. I like motorcycles and have owned a couple. I wouldn't want my daughter to get on the back of one unless she knew, very well, who was at the controls. Takes more than one date to find out.
 LvOldMovies52
Msg: 78
Posted: 3/2/2013 7:26:32 PM
I totally agree..I have had the same..the phrase used is DO YOU RIDE...yeah in my own car....geesh..the bike thing is utterly ridiculous anyway...you can talk on a bike..so what is the point...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >