Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MikeWM
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Vegetarians, Vegans and Meat EatersPage 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Thank god richard branson didnt buy a sperm bank, virgin really wouldnt have been a good brand name

And the ATMs for deposits and withdrawals in the high street might have been a bit embarassing too
 MikeWM
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Vegetarians, Vegans and Meat Eaters
Posted: 12/11/2011 4:02:39 PM

I would challenge anyone to know the difference

I'd take that challenge, what time will dinner be ready?

I hope you have huge dining room table though as I'm sure a few others would be up for the quorn taste test too
 Imclassique
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/13/2011 3:10:53 PM
I think we have teeth that re designed as herbevores - vegetarians,
Lions have sharp teeth designed for killing and ripping and tearing, they dont really chew.
Animals such as giraffs, horses, cows ,bulls, have blunt teeth that are designed to chew grass and leaves and vegetation.
I think our teeth are more like the vegetation eaters.
Therefore I think vegetarianism is natural for us.
I like what is natural for us, but I also Like traditional things at this time of the year, minus meat.
Life does not evolve around a butchers shop for me.
 stonecastle
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2011 11:47:17 AM
People should also avoid leather when becoming vegetarian as that is made from animals. You can easily buy plastic boots and shoes instead of leather ones. The ones I wear are made of plastic not leather.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 2/2/2012 11:38:45 AM
vegans and vegetarians should open their mouth and look in the mirror, humans evolved to be omnivores, ie eating meat required canine teeth, eg the relatively sharp and pointy ones at the front of the mouth..

if we were supposed to eat grass or vegetables all the time, then 2 stomachs needed like ruminants have

teeth at the back called molars are for eating plant matter...

try looking at the paelo diets, gives an insight

As for people getting upset at using meat and meat products, saw a very informative documentary on TV last year, animal fat (mostly pig and beef) turns up in lots of places,
eg

ice cream - ever wondered what the non milk fat was ?
makeup - quite a large end user for animal fats
detergents and soaps seem to be very common
even some medicines...
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2012 5:39:09 AM
I would just like to point out that Vegetables have rights too and there are amongst us too numerous so called right-on activists that daily commit too dastardly to mention wilful atrocities our green and related friends.

Do the right thing and become a Meatatarian and let vegetables live in peace!
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2012 2:03:03 AM
http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-05-28/health/29391798_1_omega-3-vegans-fatty-acids

People who follow a vegan lifestyle - strict vegetarians who try to eat no meat or animal products of any kind - may increase their risk of developing blood clots and atherosclerosis or "hardening of the arteries," which are conditions that can lead to heart attacks and stroke, according to a new study.

You are Damned if you do, and damned if you don't! The only winners are the global multitrillion pound Diet Industry and the spin-off Fitness Industry!
 *rem*
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2012 5:11:19 PM

I can't eat lamb because it stinks to high heaven when I'm grilling a lamb chop

New Zeland (frozen) lamb tastes and smells better than welsh imo
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 4:38:41 PM
Interesting thread.

My girlfriend and I are both vegetarians. We're in our mid 50's. Excellent health. Toned. Both avid hikers, runners. No medications. Good vital signs.

I'm not sure vegetarianism is a 'healthier' lifestyle for everyone but I do think it is healthier once we get into our 30's and beyond. When life was all about just making it to adulthood, breeding and not starving, then meat had it's place. One would have been lucky to live long enough to develop cardio-vascular issues.

However, my gal and I hope to live to be an active 90 and then kick the bucket. President Clinton is now a vegetarian and mostly vegan. He's a good example of an older person benefitting from a non-meat diet and turning his health around in a couple of years. In contrast the 16 year growing boy or 22 year old 'breeding age' woman probably derives benefits from moderate meat consumption (moderate does not mean what's considered 'normal' in western society).
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:07:05 PM
I've reduced dairy. Not sure I'll ever be a vegan as much as a 'near vegan'.

On a lighter note, veganism can be fun. We attend two vegan potlucks a month. A great atmosphere with some interesting people. Now , there's a great event to meet lots of good looking single guys and gals. Well educated , outdoor enthusiasts, etc.(I'm taken. Love my gal to pieces)

We also participate in a 'raw vegan' potluck. Not for me but a good way to add some delicious new items into the diet.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 5:14:10 PM

So by not eating meat we would in fact see the demise of many species of farm animal.

We might see the demise of many 'breeds', not species. Most 'breeds' of cattle, pigs, chickens etc. are somewhat bizarre representatives of their species. Jungle fowl (chickens), ducks, goats, etc. do quite fine in their ecological niches. Chickens raised in crates, etc, don't add anything positive to the species.
 Marquis_de_Michaelmas
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 3:48:33 AM
Gillian McKeith VS Nigella Lawson

One woman is 51. She is a TV health guru, and advocates a holistic approach to nutrition and health, promoting exercise, a vegetarian diet high in organic fruits and vegetables. She recommends detox diets, colonic irrigation and supplements.

The other woman is 51 aswell; Nigella Lawson a TV cook, who eats meat, butter and deserts!

Says it all really!
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 11:43:00 AM
Cassie:

Domesticated pigs for example, there are roughly two million of them alive at any one time on the planet

??????????????

More than that are killed a day. 94 million slaughtered in in the USA every year and the USA is not a big pork consumer compared to China, South east Asia, etc.

23 million chickens are killed just in the USA every day. About 45 Billion in the world each year.

One can debate the pros and cons of eating meat but some actual perspective is need on how huge an industry this is. it's amusing when folks compalin about a couple ads from PETA but fail to notice that their children are under daily assault from a hundred ads from the meat industry. Little Johnny is seduced to start clogging his arteries at an early age via a Happy Meal...even offer a toy prize.
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 7:02:11 PM
Tuskedero.

I agree with most of what you write.

When it comes to fellow vegetarians there's a few broad groups. Firstly, there's many East Indians, etc. who just never ate meat. Second are younger 'mostly' women 14 to 25 or so...the ones who want to save baby cows. The third and fastest growing group are those 45 age and over who are largely vegetarian for health reasons. These groupings aren't exclusive but are the general break down of veggie groups my girlfriend and I belong to. A younger vegetarian tends to be on the left. liberal etc. The older group is also left leaning but not so much. Nothing like a heart attack to snap even the odd greasy-rib eating redneck out of his habits

In amongst all of these are the 'mostly' vegetarians who eat meat now and then but don't make it a part of their every day diet.
 CapoeiristaVegan
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/12/2012 4:32:43 PM
yes yes me too, I wish there was an vegan vegetarian option to check on your profile so its easier to find other vegetarians on POF
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2012 5:08:44 PM

I wish there was an vegan vegetarian option to check on your profile so its easier to find other vegetarians on POF

I'm on here for the forums. Met my girlfriend on Match.com. We both said the same as you did after we met...it be great if there had been more boxes to check on lifestyle choices. We lucked into each other..

If you have 'Meet Up' groups in your area, explore vegetarian groups. The potlucks are lots of fun with all types of great people. It's a treat these days to be in a group of 30 or 40 folks of all ages, races, etc. and nearly everyone is fit and healthy.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 2:37:03 AM
I love meat, and if any of my "friends" attacked me in such a manner ( as the OP ), then they would be disgarded as quickly and as easily as i would any bit of household refuse, in the bin !.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 3:33:00 AM
Man ( erm and woman of course :O) )..is primarily a meat eater, and has been for millions of years,ever since that first clumsy biped killed his first wild pig, and so...the bacon sarnie was born, you just have to love evolution !! whoop :O)
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 3:56:41 AM
I am a vegetarian and often people question this. I just tell then I don't think there is a need anymore to eat meat. If they go on or i dont like them i use phrases like flesh of a dead animal torn off it's bones and that type of stuff. I am sometimes bewildered why people go on about what they have eaten on facebook, but that's almost another story. I think it is odd to tell others what to eat or not. Although I personally cant bear to see someone eating chicken and sweetcorn soup as the consistancy reminds me of thick snot or gob but that's just my opinion and it makes me feel sick. One thing I cant help is that when a committed vegetarian who has been so right on, goes back to meat eating and then brags about how much meat they have been eating to their vegetarian pals, I do feel disappointed and want to ask them where their principals went to. Yet even then dont want to offend. . In all this vegan woman is just a nasty self righteous piece of work who as a previous poster suggested should be put in the trash can. . . Ps. Why would someone pluck a chicken whilst it was still alive? Cyprus or neigh!
 Sugra66
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2012 5:01:26 AM
Each to their own, I eat meat and have never contemplated being a vegetarian or a vegan but I know people who are. I would never say to someone they should be eating meat when they don't and I don't expect them to do same to me. We all have choices to make in life and it's down to the individual to make their choice and not be berated for chosing it.
 greenIsis777
Msg: 38
Posted: 6/4/2012 5:31:54 PM
I am a vegan and even I do not like extremist vegans. as a general rule I do not support peta. each to his own. mine is not so much a moral choice but I simply cannot stomach animal products, they revolt me, always have. I don't have anything against meat eaters, whatever. although I do think it is important to make an informed choice and go from there. I mean, really know what's happening when it comes to production and what you're eating

the only thing that annoys me about meat eaters sometimes is all the dumb comments and questions like 'ewww, milk from soybeans? that looks gross, how can you eat that? uggh! etc.' that's what I was just thinking about you! but I don't say it aloud. oh, and my favorite - 'how do you get enough protein?' S T O P right there because you really need to read up on nutrition

I don't know why people get so hyped about it, I suppose because they view it as animal abuse in general, and of the worst kind. yeah I know what goes on. with that said I will eat some products with honey and I may buy a wool hat. veganism should generally be about dietary choices, not moral ones in my opinion
 Justanotherchap
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/4/2016 8:06:49 AM
Interesting to be reminded of all those people who used to be here.
 duracell_bunny_one
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/6/2016 11:14:15 AM
...yup, it's a bit like the last role call of a Spitfire squadron.........

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >