Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CountIbli
Msg: 75
Does the universe have a center based on quantized redshift Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

But then...that would have additional consequences that would be observable. And an infinitely old universe has its own problems.

That's true. Right now there really isn't any theory that accounts for all the data. I just wish that more intellectual resources were being applied to something other than the big bang+inflation+cold dark matter+dark energy model.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 76
Does the universe have a center based on quantized redshift
Posted: 3/31/2011 9:02:20 AM

I just wish that more intellectual resources were being applied to something other than the big bang+inflation+cold dark matter+dark energy model.

I agree that science should always remain open to alternative ideas but only as much as they fit the data. I think at this point, the observations fit the model as you've outlined. Of course, that's not to say it can't be set on its ass tomorrow. Quite the contrary. The cosmological equivalent of the bunny fossil in precambrian mud, as it were.
 abelian
Msg: 77
Does the universe have a center based on quantized redshift
Posted: 3/31/2011 9:12:52 AM

That's true. Right now there really isn't any theory that accounts for all the data. I just wish that more intellectual resources were being applied to something other than the big bang+inflation+cold dark matter+dark energy model.

Well, the big bang+inflation+cold dark matter+dark energy model does, but I, like many other physicists find the invocation of dark energy and dark matter to be a little too convenient, although not entirely artificial. Inflation is less controversial. The main reason that the money goes wjhere it goes is that no one has ever proposed anything that comes close to fitting even very much of the data. Scientists go in the direction that seems most promising in terms of being right. That can lead to going down blind allies, but in the long run has been self-correcting and much more so than any other way of doing science. Scientists have to speculate on things that no one has succeded at explaining before, so there's no way to be certain any path is correct, a priori. Scientist just go with what works until it no longer does.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >