Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing MoviesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I guess I have too much of an imagination but scary movies give me nightmares. I wouldn't take my kids to see them but then again I don't want to see the really gory ones either. They do enjoy watching ghost stories on TV. When I was little and my older sister was babysitting she let me watch a scary movie with her. I can't remember the name but I do recall what it was about. A retarded guy hides in a scarecrow and is killed by farmers. They then are killed one by one in disturbing ways. It haunted me for days. She also told me Norman lived upstairs. lol

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!! There's always plenty of kid movies in every theatre, so that isn't an excuse.....there isn't any excuse for it.

I would rather see the kid movie with them. After a certain age though I decided my son was old enough to attend the local haunted house at Halloween. He had been asking every summer for a few years. It was suppose to be so disturbing and gory that it was for over age 13. It is put on by a film company. He insisted at 11 he could handle it. He was allowed in because he was with a boy who was 13. When he got home he said it was scary but not that bad. No nightmares or anything as a result.
 nipoleon
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Little Kids Watching Violent/Gory/Disturbing Movies
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:45:04 AM
Essentially I agree.
It's a perfect example of how scewered our society is, that movies are rated primarily for their sexual content and not their violent content.
We have no problem with little children watching the most horrific violence.... but heaven forbid that a nipple finds the light of day.
People hating each other, people killing each other is acceptable fare for children.
People loving each other is sinfull and must be censored.

I have heard that some European countries do have review boards which control TV and movie content with respect to it's effect upon children.
McDonalds has had some of it's commercials banned in Europe because they were deemed manipulative to children.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 5:44:06 AM
Well, I'm not saying I would myself take my kids to such movies, but on the other hand, I do know that when it comes ESPECIALLY to horror films, that many of them are so fantastic (as in fantasy-based) that the children don't empathize with the film at all. When I was a young kid, watching horror movies was quite normal, and no one I knew ended up being scarred by them.
As for judging the other parents, I shy away from that. Unless I am willing to actually ASK them what they are doing and why, attacking them for their decisions isn't valid.
I DID let my kids watch SOME grown-up movies when they were young, because I wanted them to have a realistic grasp of what the real world is about, and exposing them to some things, then EXPLAINING what it was all about was a form of PROTECTING them on my part.
I was sheltered by the censors when I was young, and it caused me HUGE problems when it came time to deal with the real world. So I'm wary of supporting using government or even social pressure to force other parents to make what ever choices I might make.
 cookie22222
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:54:01 AM
My boys were very into those things, earlier than I would have liked. Their father was much more lenient about letting them watch that kind of thing. They'd be watching Disney with me, and blood and guts with him, although he tended more toward war movies, being a veteran.

I do recall he let them watch some TV show about aliens impregnating earth women (yes, I know)...my son was maybe 3, and he had nightmares about it for months, he would wake up crying that the "alien monster babies" were staring in his bedroom window.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 2:08:03 PM

Edit to add: I actually find it a little disturbing that movies like Saw are so popular among adults, anyway. There's something very off-putting by people enjoying seeing others in agony, whether real or not.

I agree. I would rather watch a comedy or Disney movie with my boys. I'm glad they still enjoy them at age 8 and 12.

Funny story, as a child my dad let me stay up and watch The Birds with him. Not really a horror movie by the standards of movies now but still scary to a kid. I went to bed and heard a flutter sound and screamed for my mom. Imagine the coincidence to have a bat flying around my room that night.lol
 matchlight
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 6:11:17 PM

Does anyone understand the mentality of these parents?!!!

I do not, except that it must be a very limited one. Most people of ordinary intelligence know that kind of stuff is not for little kids. And it's not like there aren't good movies around that *are* made for them. Not all parents think it's an ordeal to sit through those kiddie movies, either. I'm sure my mother usually enjoyed the ones she took my sister and me to as much as we did. When we'd kid her about that, many years later, she'd just laugh and say, "Well, you know what they say--the simple are easily amused."
 daynadaze
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2011 10:09:35 PM
I don't know, I watched Tom & Jerry demolish each other all the time as a kid, plus scary movies and violence, I think it has more to do with how you talk to your child about what they are seeing. No, I wouldn't let a child see an adult movie but they see violence all the time, sometimes, too many times, at home.

I thought Shutter Island was a bore and not scary, but I can't watch Saw so no I wouldn't let a child watch it. Some kids love the scare, some love the gore, I don't think it's going to make anyone's kids psychotic unless they already are but I did spend many years afraid of the dark. I think you have to base it on your child's personality and use your judgment.
 daynadaze
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 2/5/2011 7:30:47 PM
I think Bambi has scared the peewaden out of more tots than Saw would, since they wouldn't get much out of saw I bet...still I wouldn't take a child to see such. But I did terrorize all three of my children with Disney movies like Old Yeller and Bambi.

When my kids were young, I know that the theaters were not required to keep your kiddies out of their seats if they didn't meet the age limits, the ratings were a suggestion to the parents. It was seen as the parents job to know what the heck their kids were up to. I do not know if that's still the case, Tipper Gore may have gotten her fingers in that pie and demanded theater owners police children.
 myrgth
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 1:09:37 AM
Geez, good thing most of you live in present times then!

Hard to imagine when packing up the kids and taking a picnic to watch public executions was all the rage!

Then there was the times when it was good family fun to take the kiddies to watch people get eaten by lions or people fight to the death and cheer from the stands.

As far as I Am Legend, Shutter Island, and The Rite - boring! Nothing really disturbing or horrific in those movies.

Saw, Hostel, and the like are so over the top and fantastical that the only people or kids walking away terrified are the same ones that would do the same watching some of the 70's era cartoons. Sure, they are disturbing and if you don't have the mentality for it then by all means don't watch. A good parent will know if their child is capable of watching such. Who are you to judge?

If you are a good parent, if you actually know your child and have a good relationship with them then do as you wish. I have one son that loves horror flicks. I have another that steers clear of them. I watch them often with my son who digs them. We spend more time laughing and trying to figure out how the effect was done than being scared. *shrug*

My mother dragged me to these types of movies when I was a wee child. Texas Chainsaw, Freddy, Jason, etc. I didn't grow up killing people or wetting the bed in terror. It was always understood that there is a huge difference between fantasy and reality. Movies are fantasy on screen. Nothing real about them. No bad dreams, no confusion, no issues with it.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 4:23:23 PM

Lol, I very much doubt that the same people sickened by those types of movies are going to be as sickened by Tom and Jerry. Not denying that cartoons can't also be violent, but there is a world of difference. And if you think there's not, then how would the horror movie fans out there like it if a law was passed making it so violent films could only be shown in cartoon form?

I still don't get the obsession with extremely violent and grotesque productions. I saw part of the trailer for Human Centipede and found THAT to be one of the most disturbing things I'd seen in a while.... Perhaps it's just a morbid curiosity.

Shiit, the news is scary enough for me.

I hadn't heard of Human Centipede and to not see what it's about is fine with me. I'll keep going with my kids to Disney movies and watching cartoons including Tom and Jerry with them on TV.
 wayfarer4you
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2011 10:53:58 PM
O k I have to be that little voice in the wind .
I agree we as a people have become "the I want it now type of folks" from news to the net and movies ,the more blood and guts the better ,But I do recall The three stooges ,tom and jerry , the road runner,bat man (shall I go on ) and the theme was Violent , we live in a violent world where jonny/and jill can see on the news our solders shooting real people in real time ,blast's of I.e.Ds .. O hh yes and don't forget mom or dad slapping each other around after a hard day , so where do we as a people change it ? and more over deep down do you want it changed? .
I remember seeing alot of rappers and rockers sitting in front of our fine nation's congress going over how Music is bad for our youth ,So again where do we change things ? it's all just a bunch of sound bites from the talking heads to settle the masses ..... again I jump off my soap box and kick it to the corner and bid you all good night
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/13/2011 8:15:27 PM

Who cares its their kids,

Whoa! This kind of mentality can get people into trouble! Shouldn't a parent be able to give their kids liquor or mentally/physically abuse them? After all, it's their kids!
 daynadaze
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2011 10:23:38 PM
Three movies scared the peewaden out of me as a child, King Kong, Mighty Joe Young and The Tingler. They gave me no end of sleepless nights, bed wetting, and nightmares. I watched them every single time there were on...when we had a TV, which we didn't always. I don't know that my parents ever checked to see what we were watching or what movie we went to see. If we had a quarter we walked to the old downtown theater and saw what was on, if we were lucky and had 50 cents we went to the uptown theater and saw a double feature, whatever was being shown. I'm very easily spooked and no matter how well I know it's not real, once spooked, I'm spooked, still other than giving me nightmares, I don't know that horror movies ever did me any actual damage. Certainly there were much scarier things that were real in the newspapers and on the news.
 myrgth
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2011 4:28:21 AM

Lol, I very much doubt that the same people sickened by those types of movies are going to be as sickened by Tom and Jerry. Not denying that cartoons can't also be violent, but there is a world of difference. And if you think there's not, then how would the horror movie fans out there like it if a law was passed making it so violent films could only be shown in cartoon form?

I didn't say 'sickened', I said 'terrified'. Words that really aren't similar.

My point is that those really over the top horror movies are very similar to cartoons in their lack of basis in reality and are just about as 'terrifying'. The violence and gore is just as contrived and fake as a cartoon. How can something so very obviously fake be terrifying? Sickening, sure.. if you don't have the stomach for it or the love of gore. But terrifying? Nah. Unless you suspend disbelief to such a degree that you would also find a cartoon terrifying or if you don't have a filter that allows you to understand the difference between reality and movie fantasy.

Bet I could show you some cartoons that would turn your stomach as much, if not more than some of the movies posted here. :-)

Haha, I totally agree about the news!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >