Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lokezter2011
Msg: 51
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 3 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I pretty much do not listen to anything past the year 1995 exceptions are Rage against the Machine and Audioslave. Everything else has just sucked.

Oh btw, whats up with all of these 'muse' fans ? Talking about how Epic they where. They're not doing anything new. Any old Metal album is just as good. Try Iron Maiden...or Megadeath.

By the way.. I'm gonna bag on muse a little more. The vocals suck. And it's more like Rock and roll for yuppy/middle class conformist urbanites.

Over and out.

P.S. Godsmack, NIn, no soul.

Try Black Sabbath instead.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 52
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 8/17/2011 2:07:17 AM
i listen to octaine on sirius. i've hears a lot of great new bands on there.

some crap too, but there's still hope.

k.w.
http://cfox.supernova.com/-Drunk
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 53
Posted: 8/17/2011 7:35:08 AM
At least we aren't living through the 80's again. There is always good music out there just have to find it. Even in the darkest days of the 80's and hair bands there was good music out there. It was a lot harder to find without the net. Search harder and you will find something new and good.
 voodoo-daddyatlivedotcom
Msg: 54
Posted: 8/17/2011 10:33:31 PM
HERE IS MY THEORY:

THE TALENT BAR HAS TAKEN A NOSE DIVE IN ROCK & ROLL AFTER TALENTED PLAYERS TOOK A VERBAL BEATING PUBLICLY, THROUGH THE 1990'S, BY DOUCHE BAGS LIKE KURT COBAIN AND EDDIE VEDDER ON MTV INTERVIEWS. THE GUITAR SOLO AND OPERATIC VOCALS , NEARLY BECAME EXTINCT ENTIRELY... BECAUSE WASHINGTON SPAWNS THE WORLD'S BIGGEST HATERS!

AND WHY DO PEOPLE HATE? ???

A. THEY ARE EITHER TOO LAZY TO FIGURE IT OUT FOR THEMSELVES
B. SUFFER FROM SELF ESTEME ISSUES AND SEASONAL DEPRESSION
C. THEY ARE RULED BY THEIR OUT OF CONTROL EGO
D. ALL THE ABOVE.

heather82
Msg: 55
Posted: 8/20/2011 6:05:44 PM
I think the new bands out now are great and singers like Adam Lambert and Lady Gaga, I love the new stuff out now better then the old stuff,I say it keeps getting better.
 SleestackLightnin
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2011 2:55:42 PM
There is good music out there. Stop acting like sheep and you might be fortunate enough to see it.
 godlessguitarist
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/21/2011 8:32:15 PM
Onc Iggy Pop, being asked the difference between ROCK then and now and i believe i heard him say and i quote' there are no more accidents' in the music biz , like idol and the next boy sensation these are all calculated down to the map of who's the target audience,where and when they will sell, and can be predicted almost like a, science on marketing graphs and internet manipulation becuase of marketing, look at Garth Brooks, he was the one who changed this a little. Back then someone tripped upon your Coopers your Simmons , your Vicious's, everyday class clowns or school freak and thought this guy has to make records, he's one of a kind, other thing is they could turn it on and off. These so called self professed little messiah's now take themselves way too seriously and believe that everything they put out is sacred. the rock character knew he needed a new card up his sleeve that would still make him coin, the record company didn't always strike gold with each new image, it was still a gamble. American Idol has kids living up to the image of rock and pop by design, but they aren't naturals, the old schoolers wrote their own stuff and it was suited to them and their voice. You have kids on Idol, torturing queen songs when they should be singing ones designed for them and their character, trouble is they don't have a character, but you also can't repeat past glorys of rock excess, that might be the problem. the same thread bout the Sinatras and Comos and all is that they were as**** and confident as Morrison or Pete Townsend, so they were much more the same,entertainers with real clever wit regarding life, GIANT characters from classic novels,working class heroes, and the fact that they turned it on and off or it was put on made it more likeable, they could humour themselves, today's stars can't it's either i am or i'm not. My only question to myself is when or where was this line was drawn, was it Cobain, well that's opinion. another simple theory is that maybe all the best riffs and melodies have been used, but soundwise the older music slapped you in the face with honesty and EXCELLENT drumming.
 mloewen
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2011 5:04:52 PM
I agree there are alot of crap bands out there and most played on radio is not that good.
Unless you have a good station like a public raido station that has a dj with good taste and the freedom to choose his own playlist .

That said there are good bands out there that are in the spirit of the 60s and 70s classic bands . A personal favorite band is The Tedeski Trucks band . or any band that Derek Trucks is associated with. A good place online to check out bands who let people record them and share the music is Internetarchive .org

Link :
http://www.archive.org/browse.php?collection=etree&field=%2Fmetadata%2Fcreator

Many different kinds of music represented here many are in the spirit of The Grateful Dead.

The good music is out there but don't expect to hear it on your local radio station.

Happy listening

Mark Loewen
 octivate
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/2/2011 5:15:06 AM
i dont think think its an issue of less talent, i think its an issue of how easy it is to make music today (homemade studio for <1000$) and how saturated the market is with 'hot new artists'. there is still plenty of great rock records coming out, you just have to sift through a lot more poop than you used to. since most people are unwilling to put the time in to do this (no offense, it is quite time consuming), its easy for me to see why so many people share this notion.
 jay.m83
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2011 5:49:20 AM
Music today isn't terrible. Just the music "industry" or record companies. You can still find all kinds of great music. But there is the key word you have to "find" it. We are currently at a transitional period where the artists are finally coming into their own and will not need the backing of a record company in order to get their music to the masses. The record company of course hates this. And as a result has had to put out streamlined marginalized flavor of the week cookie cutter music in order to make money off of the backs of the artists they sign. The Record companies will soon die, and artists will be able to take over. And I think that is great! Every artist will be an independent label.
 playfulpete
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/6/2011 7:55:06 AM
There are still some good rock bands out there still.Sam roberts to name 1.It is just a little harder to find them.Music is in the eye of the beholder.
 smokincigars
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Why are most new rock bands terrible? (Warning, this is long)
Posted: 9/10/2011 1:44:05 AM
A few observations from a semi-insider:

Back in the day, a few garage bands had one or two hits based more on the free-wheeling spirit of rock&roll (a new genre back then) than on actual talent. Most of the bands that were consistently successful were made up of musicians who had been playing a long time (including professionally) and had honed their craft. A few used studio musicians on their records; they had a lot of hits, but couldn't live up to audience expectations when they played live.

For the first two decades or so, rock was heavily influenced by the blues -- even when it wasn't always obvious. Today the songs are crafted to appeal to somewhat shallower tastes.

Radio has changed. Top 40 was the dominant music format from the mid-50s to the mid-70s, and Top 40 stations played *everything* that was popular enough -- including some country, a few foreign-language songs, and novelty records. Then Top 40 began to fragment, while at the same time "progressive" or "album" rock gained in popularity. With more music choices on the dial, rock itself also fragmented and fewer recording acts had "monster" hits. Record companies saw their profits slipping, they tightened their fiscal belts, and there was less money to develop and support both new and established artists.

The record companies, both big and small, did a lot to turn their artists into hit-makers. Professional studios, producers, engineers, songwriters, promotion, cover design, and in some cases music lessons, "charm school" and eating money -- all of these came from studios when they believed in their artists, as long as they had the money. Lower profits meant less the labels could afford to do for the artists on their rosters, as well as fewer new artists they could sign.

Established star performers had to fend for themselves more, and in some cases found themselves without contracts. New performers couldn't even get through the front door of a recording studio.

But then came the affordable computer-based recording equipment that allowed anyone with an empty room and a little money to build their own recording studios. Problem is, a lot of them had more money and equipment than actual talent, and precious few of them had that much experience -- with music or business. We found ourselves with a lot of acts that were good enough to turn out a good song or two, now and then, but lacked what it takes to do so consistently. Maybe their musicianship wasn't that good, maybe they couldn't write enough good songs, or maybe they just didn't know how to do all the things a big record label has to do to turn a piece of plastic into gold or platinum. But there are a lot of these acts, and collectively they turn out "good enough" songs every week.

The radio stations (where most people find out about new music) play the best new songs they know about, with most of their guidance coming from a handful of influential program directors and critics. Most music fans have learned that only a few favorite artists turn out entire albums of good stuff, so instead of buying entire CDs they buy just the MP3s of the few songs they like. Even a million-selling MP3 single isn't going to generate a lot of money for the performers, so most "hit" acts have to tour almost constantly to make a living; they lack either the time or the money (or both) to learn how to play better, write really good songs, or make the best possible new recordings.
 TheJets1
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/11/2011 8:54:07 PM
avenged sevenfold
 nipoleon
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2011 3:51:32 AM
Every new generation thinks they are the ones that invented sex, they found drugs, and they discovered music .
All the previous generations think they're idiots .
 nesartist
Msg: 65
Posted: 9/14/2011 11:02:04 PM
Same reason why new tv shows, new cartoons, and some new movies end up being terrible. Nobody puts their heart in their work. Everyone is a walking wallet these days.
 nesartist
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/15/2011 4:45:20 PM
On the contrary, most of what I witness I learn to appreciate. But, I do believe some people doing music and art today are missing heart in their work when compared to older works. A person needs to be compassionate for their art in order for it have that special intangible feeling that a piece work made with little to no love that ends up sticking out like a soar thumb.
 nearco
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/16/2011 12:39:35 PM
The new Wolves in the Throne Room album absolutely kills. You just have to search harder for quality nowadays. Most of the great bands out there are a bit more underground or obscure.
 Tremolux
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/18/2011 7:12:00 AM
Frank Zappa once remarked to effect that one did not need to know how to play guitar well but instead needed to have a good hairdresser. Music is abjectly incidental to the making of pictures and images. I could rant about this all day, but I won't. I will say this: Mindlessly accept everything, mindlessly reject nothing and you have the perfect recipe for shit. Then I will ask you what you get when you chrome plate a piece of dog shit. My reply is you get a shiny piece of dog shit.
 maj1977
Msg: 69
Posted: 9/18/2011 6:57:21 PM
Well, like one of the first posters said...there are very few fresh ideas out there. I just accept it. So maybe I don't like "perfect" music anyhow, the same way every movie I watch doesn't have to be Oscar material.

I don't know why everyone has to complain so much. It's very simple. If you don't like the music, you don't need to listen to it. If you don't like ANY of the music being produced today, listen to the stuff you like from yesterday. That's what CDs and MP3s are for.

I don't care if you like Metallica or Nickelback or Ke$ha or P. Diddy or Britney Spears or Led Zeppelin. I don't care if you like that I do. You shouldn't care if I want to purchase their albums. I don't care if you do or not.

This is America baby. No one is forcing you to listen to terrible (in your opinion) music. Stop complaining. Besides, ultimately, what you think is crap music...well, evidently most people don't find it to be too crap because it's what's out there selling records right now.

At least the artists had the balls and the talent (debatable) to put themselves out there. I hope you have kids because if you do and they ever put on a play or sing in a choir, I'm gonna be there booing them because inevitably, it's going to be pretty horrible, but they deserve to be criticized, right?
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:39:28 PM

This is America baby.

lol. no it isn't.

k.w.
thing big
 red_jaguar
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/18/2011 10:29:14 PM
You just have to do a little digging nowadays. There will always be crap. There was crap in the 60s (so I'm told) and there's crap today. People aren't demanding good music anymore, which is also part of the problem.

Here's a list of recent, good rock bands
The Black Keys
The Mars Volta
Band of Skulls
Explosions in the Sky
The Black Angels
The Sword
Dredg
Eagles of Death Metal
Them Crooked Vultures
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
She Keeps Bees

These bands aren't even obscure. You just have to do some looking. You can youtube any of them and find plenty of samples of their work.

And for the record the Black Keys never sounded like the White Stripes. They just both happen to be two pieces with blues influence.
 maj1977
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/19/2011 1:51:48 PM
Wicked, lol.

Okay, I live in the United States...everyone doesn't but even so, no one is putting a gun to your head to listen to crap music.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/19/2011 7:40:59 PM
actually, i hear they do that in l.a.

k.w.
death to all but metal
 Green_Mind
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/20/2011 11:10:47 PM
It's just most of the mainstream bands out right now aren't really worth a shit. There's some great bands out there that fly under the radar. Deerhunter, Pelican, Mogwai, Bumblefoot, Freak Kitchen...There's a few out there.
 jmark4
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/22/2011 1:58:16 AM
I think it's an easy question to answer.

In the olden days on avg. it took groups about 3 albums to start making big money. Now with all the downloading, most bands put out crap CD's with one or two popular songs and then tour. Touring is where they make the money. I think the Rolling Stones made around 127 million touring in one year.

In the olden days your entire albums had to be good.

Now add lipsynching and auto tune which can make anyone a singer, and you realize why music sucks so bad.

It's more marketing and touring than talent.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?