Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ArtArc
Msg: 76
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Classic rock is a marketing niche to entice baby-boomers into thinking that the "oldies" are the only good musicians and that the past is where all the good music is. With all due respect, this is bull. There has been so much good music in all the decades, you just have to look for it (and I don't include most top 40 junk...from any era). I think it's a mistake to live in the past. I used to listen to nothing but classic rock and most of it still holds up, but I hate the Beatles. Sorry. I do love John Lennon. It's all about taste. Nothing is better than anything else. It's all about perception. Listen to Sigur Ros or Explosions in the Sky or Jeff Buckley and tell me with a straight face it doesn't move you. There is so much out there to discover, don't let nostalgia blind you. Peace. I do still worship Zeppelin.
 WhatWouldDrewDo
Msg: 77
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 10/8/2011 11:20:03 PM
While I somewhat agree with you that most modern rock bands these days aren't that enjoyable to listen to, bad rock bands did exist back in the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's for that matter. (My father showed me some of his deep cuts of bands that never really found fame, and for a good reason.)

The reason why The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Springsteen, et al, are all regarded as great musicians, is because, they are great composers and they know how to write a song that is catchy and can sell. Hence why the record companies signed them and they became popular.
 good_dreams
Msg: 78
Posted: 10/9/2011 8:31:37 AM
I've pondered this question many times and I don't think I have an answer. But I have noticed that many classic rock bands like Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Stones, Who, etc grew up and formed during sort of a unique time in England. What was unique about it is that it was immediately post WWII in the early 50's. Life was very difficult at that time. Most of these guys grew up under poor and humble circumstances, very difficult times. When people are put in that kind of situation I believe makes people look at many things on a deeper emotional level. Also gives them a completely different perspective on what it means to work hard at something and what the word sacrifice really means. For many of the guys in these bands music was a way out of a very difficult life situation. I believe the reason many of these bands were so great is because they grew up under those conditions and had a different perspective on life then many of todays youths. Hardship and trying times can bring out the best in people and often does. I mean look at Floyd for example, the whole album ' the wall' was about the destruction that occurred during the war and its aftermath.
 mister_Harvey
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2011 9:32:09 AM
Who cares now we have Dappy the savior of music!

Kill me now!
 Metal_Mike667
Msg: 80
Posted: 10/14/2011 7:57:44 PM
Buckcherry, Hinder, Papa Roach, Shinedown all good bands
 MrGreen1216
Msg: 81
Posted: 10/20/2011 6:59:19 PM
When a label signs a band its usually an investment that they will grow and produce album after album...now a days its who can make some fast money with one or two big songs then never be heard from again. The internet was both a blessing and a course for music in general.
 2findU
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/22/2011 8:50:34 AM
Good question! I mean I haven't heard any new bands since 2000. I do know of current artists that I like but they play blues and blues/rock so they are really sticking to old school. Such as Joe Bonamassa for example.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/24/2011 7:24:18 PM
Buck Cherry, Theory of a Deadman, Puddle of Mudd...
 jttkk33
Msg: 84
Posted: 11/1/2011 10:43:42 PM
seems our generation we are born in will have an age limit to where we start thinking new is bad and old is good when in true retrospect we stopped doing a step that made us love the stuff we do. music hunting. think about it yeah rock was known but it wasnt ever the highest listen genre. first old time, jazz, disco, then pop. u had to tune in to certain stations. yeah hunting musics harder now but its worth it. listen to wolfmother for a throwback to the 60's and 70's you tend to like
 weebs28
Msg: 85
Posted: 11/2/2011 3:44:21 AM
To me, the music of The Tea Party is timeless and now that they're back together after 7 years I'm looking forward to a new release.

My favourite release this year was Dystopia by Iced Earth.

I also think I like Alice Coopers last few releases (Welcome 2 My Nightmare was just released) more than his classic stuff.
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 86
Posted: 11/6/2011 6:15:21 PM
strt67,

I don't know what your source is for new rock bands, but I suggest that you look for another source because there are a lot of great new rock bands that don't "shout or growl".
 oloroso
Msg: 87
Posted: 11/12/2011 5:18:42 PM
I'm 50 yrs. old and don't keep up with the names of newer bands, but I hear a lot of REALLY GOOD, unique and interesting new music in indie movies... by indie bands.
If you look out of the mainstream (movies and otherwise), you'll find some good stuff. If you don't qualify something as "good" unless you hear it on the radio... you're missing out.

I think the late night talk shows introduce a lot of newer bands too... as well as SNL. Of course those bands have to get some recognition before they can get on TV... that's usually accomplished by college radio, and/or films, as I mentioned before.
 Life_Is_Dynamics
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/4/2012 2:31:39 AM
New rock bands aren't terrible, the crap on rock radio is (which is mostly late '90s, early '00s crap), but there's egads of them that are as brilliant as the stuff spawned in the '70s. You're just too F'ing lazy to seek them out. I'd give the OP some suggestions but he probably wouldn't bother with it.
 frijolera_ninja
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/4/2012 9:03:18 AM
Id like to know I love hearing new stuff. If we dont like it... we can turn it off!
 Drummerboy125
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:18:28 AM
Cause korn lost head,
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 91
Posted: 1/23/2012 11:49:13 AM
a whole genre of music went for a sh*t because korn lost a guitarist?

are you really that delusional??

k.w.
korn sucks
 Life_Is_Dynamics
Msg: 92
Posted: 1/23/2012 9:09:04 PM

a whole genre of music went for a sh*t because korn lost a guitarist?

are you really that delusional??

Ever since rock radio went stagnant about 10-years ago, some people have refused to leave the '90s and therefore haven't got the slightest F'ing clue what's going on with metal music.

Use your internets, kiddies. I'm 34 and can figure it out, surely all you whippersnappers can too.
 PAVEparadise
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2012 2:59:38 AM
I can tell you why in three words

Music is subjective

What you think is crap, is gold to another. Some people love what I think is bland radio crap, and some people hate the music that I love. It's just how it is.
 Falcon91
Msg: 94
Posted: 1/24/2012 5:44:53 AM
I disagree with the OP...didn't bother reading the rest of the topic.

Take a listen to Seether, shaun morgan and his band write their songs from personal experience.

For example
Their song Rise above this. Originally that song was to help Eugene Morgan, Shauns brother....he ended up commiting suicide by jumping from a building. During the filming of the music video it took them 5 times cause shaun couldn't hold it together.
 R_O_U_S
Msg: 95
Posted: 1/28/2012 7:42:46 AM
Its not that rock bands are terrible, they have to be found in diffrent mediums because the t.v and radio has become saturated with stupid. Their demographic is dummer and lazy.
 613M38
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:19:54 PM
the same reason most new music is terrible any genre.
the machine you are sitting at and the interweb that it is conected too. how much have you people spent purchasing music in the last ten years?? no major lable can aford the produce anything new and fresh and give it time to grow because most of the world steals the end product. it's alot safer fiscally to but out another nickleback clone. wire sites and youtube are killing if not already killed the music industry. if you want somthing good out there go buy albums!!!! (not $.99 itunes tracks click buy the album.) it is posible to resurect the music seen. i still belive
i have over 12 gigs of music on my hard drive and i'm glad to say i've payed for every note :)
 Robert122077
Msg: 97
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:09:12 PM

IMO the last great era for great bands was grunge which ended around 1995.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

Couldn't agree more. I mean Jimi Hendrix and the Who alone are probably responsible for 80% of every rock band innovation just by themselves! (And, no, that's not a scientific estimate)
 Robert122077
Msg: 98
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:13:19 PM
The last time a "new" group really impressed me was when I discovered the White Stripes. I know that Jack White has had success, but given how little attention even the best rock gets nowadays, I feel that he's a terribly underrated talent. At least compared to the greats of the 60's and 70's.

That being said, there is a lot of good music out there. I think the Mars Volta is pretty damn original as well as "good." For some mystifying reason, the mainstream lost what minimal interest it had in good music when Kurt Cobain died.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2012 7:10:13 PM

the machine you are sitting at and the interweb that it is conected too. how much have you people spent purchasing music in the last ten years?? no major lable can aford the produce anything new and fresh and give it time to grow because most of the world steals the end product. it's alot safer fiscally to but out another nickleback clone. wire sites and youtube are killing if not already killed the music industry. if you want somthing good out there go buy albums!!!! (not $.99 itunes tracks click buy the album.) it is posible to resurect the music seen. i still belive
i have over 12 gigs of music on my hard drive and i'm glad to say i've payed for every note :)

Bullshit.
Metal bands are contending with the same conditions and at this point I'd say there are more successful metal bands out there than mainstream.
Sure, they're not making hundreds of millions of dollars... but they are making their living using youtube and the like for free advertising. these bands are utilizing it, instead of crying about.

Oh
Pearl Jam sucks the big one.
 PAVEparadise
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2012 3:58:38 AM

You are right the internet is killing major labels, and for that I say thank god. Major labels haven't done anything to try to stay afloat in the changing times. Instead of try to change with the internet, they just stuck with what worked for the last 20 years, and now they find themselves dying because of it. Also the big time labels have been screwing artist for years, and have always had a "our way or the highway" attitude. The music scene is going to be a better place when all those big time labels finally fall.

If you truly want to support artist (not the labels) then go see them live and buy some merch from them. If you are going to buy the music from them, do it at their show and make sure the people making the music get the money, not the labels. (Also I do buy music, I have over 100 CDs, and about 20 vinyl LPs/EPs)
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?