Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 What_He_Said
Msg: 101
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 5 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
You may have a point about the level of craftsmanship angle, I don't know.

But if you view music as something that you want to identify with, then I'm not sure that it matters. Rather it's the notion that something you identify with that really counts. That might apply equally to something that is light and fluffy or well to the other end.

Maybe it's the notion that each generation needs music that it can call it's own. If it doesn't appeal to people slight older than themselves because those people just "don't get it" then so much the better. I think that many young people that that music that people just a few years older than them was boring or uninteresting. Those just a generation older might have had the same thoughts just a few years before.

It's when you add some of life's experiences that you come to know that other genres also have something to say and you come to like (or at least appreciate) the band(s) and their brand of music for what they are. At least in many instances.

Interesting topic.
 willulaughatmybadjokes
Msg: 102
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 2/24/2012 6:17:23 PM
You're not listening to the right music. If all you listen to is the radio you're probably not going to hear any new musc that is worthwhile listening to unless you are listening to WFUV 90.7. They play all kinds of music from the 60's up to new music specifically alternative and indie rock. Anyways as I was saying, there's plenty of good rock music out there that is good you're just not embracing it. U2 and Dave Mathews certainly can be named with the likes of the stones, zeppelin and others. My favorite band right now is Govt Mule, they are awesome and Tedeschi Trucks band is very good too. Some other bands that rock are the Decemberists, The Black Keys, Dawes, North Mississippi allstars, and Kings of Leon to name a few. The music is out there you just need to find it
 ComplekCity
Msg: 103
Posted: 6/5/2012 8:46:02 AM

IMO the last great era for great bands was grunge which ended around 1995.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

Couldn't agree more. I mean Jimi Hendrix and the Who alone are probably responsible for 80% of every rock band innovation just by themselves!

Yup, and then there's Black Sabbath who were the first to do the morbid music which means ever since then every time a band ( usually a metal band ) , plays anything remotely morbid who do you think of ?

Sabbath.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 104
Posted: 6/5/2012 10:47:25 AM
You are what we call a "Classic Rock Elitist". I used to be one myself. This is one of the many, many ways of saying "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE!!!"

There are some incredibly bands in a a MASSIVE variety of genres making excellent and intelligent music these days. Even more so than there were in the 60's and 70's. This goes from every genre, from Texas Rock to Math Metal, Jazz to Bluegrass, and Pop to Turkish Wedding Music.

I'd give you a list and post some videos, but it would be really be a waste of my time. You've made up your mind that anything written after 1980 is "garbage", so you'd only be looking for things to hate in whatever I happened to post.

Sidnote: To all of you making the tired old argument that music you hear on the radio (pop) is crap, you realize you're being just as ignorant as OP, right?
 Rheostatic
Msg: 105
Posted: 6/5/2012 11:11:16 AM
the same reason most new music is terrible any genre.
the machine you are sitting at and the interweb that it is conected too. how much have you people spent purchasing music in the last ten years?? no major lable can aford the produce anything new and fresh and give it time to grow because most of the world steals the end product. it's alot safer fiscally to but out another nickleback clone. wire sites and youtube are killing if not already killed the music industry. if you want somthing good out there go buy albums!!!! (not $.99 itunes tracks click buy the album.) it is posible to resurect the music seen. i still belive
i have over 12 gigs of music on my hard drive and i'm glad to say i've payed for every note :)

You're buying into the argument the major labels are lying about. The music industry has never been healthier. Think of how easy it is now for a group of guys to start a band and earn a decent living doing what they love. 10 years ago, their audience was whoever showed up at their local bar. Nowadays, it's 7 billion people.

Mind you, a lot of it is garbage, but dont' go saying that it is ALL terrible, because you have not heard it all. I'm a strong supporter of new music of all genres, and I haven't even heard 0.001% of it all.

I find it funny how the people the most opinionated about the state of the music industry or people who have no involvement in the industry themselves and not even musicians (and by musicians, I mean gigging musicians...I'm talking about more than just knowing how to play the guitar).

You're Canadian. When was the last time you turned on CBC Radio 2 or 3 and actually gave new music a chance?
 corvid50
Msg: 106
Posted: 6/6/2012 6:06:03 AM
Music has always been "different strokes for different folks" . I don't normally listen too a lot of pop music on the radio,but if it's "Pop Music" which comes from the phrase "Popular Music",then obviously a lot of people do listen to it and like it.....So I'm in the minority,I guess they're right and I'm wrong,hahah
I listen to CBC Radio fairly regularly....
 RockinRollMan
Msg: 107
Posted: 6/10/2012 4:16:11 AM
There are good modern day rock bands if you look around. I love progressive rock and that's a genre that really hasn't had any new acts in 30 years, yet The Porcupine Tree is a pretty good modern day progressive rock band, check out their double album The Incident as it's really solid but is more modern day themed. Lyrics wise, rock music today I think targets a couple of different styles of people, especially with all the tunes written with lyrics based around social things like love and all that, maybe that's a little different from the 60's but The Beatles were very similar in their early days. Then you get the hack garbage like Nickelback, wannabe rebels with enough angst to equal that of a high school of emo kids, can't write a song that sounds original to save their bloody lives.

Grunge may be dead, but Dave Grohl still does a great job of it and really revitalized the whole genre with the Wasting Light album by the Foo Fighters which is just a high flying bunch of madness, some great fast and aggressive tunes and a couple of rock ballads mixed in.

Also, I'd like to swing off a list of modern bands (ie last 10-15 years) that I really enjoy and I like rock music as a whole.

The Black Keys, Franz Ferdinand, Muse, Radiohead, Cold War Kids, Foster the People, The Sheepdogs.
 mjinict
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2012 7:53:34 AM
You're just too F'ing lazy to seek them out. I'd give the OP some suggestions but he probably wouldn't bother with it.
----------
Some people are at the mercy of what's being played on the radio at work.
 bornagain75
Msg: 109
Posted: 6/16/2012 10:59:50 PM
[Dave Grohl still does a great job of it and really revitalized the whole genre with the Wasting Light album by the Foo Fighters ]

A year later and I still have a hard time getting this album out the cd player.

It's extremely difficult to write a song that hasn't been done before. A guitar has 6 strings, 22 frets. There's 132 notes, and maybe half of those are actually pleasing to the ear. There's only so much that can be done, and the bands from the 60's and 70's got to the good stuff first.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 110
Posted: 6/20/2012 3:41:36 AM

. There's 132 notes, and maybe half of those are actually pleasing to the ear.

that has to be the dumbest statement ever written on the internet. Congratulations, that's one hell of an achievement.
 TheReason_
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 11:17:04 AM
I personally think the 60's and 70's sucked. Half those bands wouldn't have flown if everyone wasn't on drugs.

I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer.

-facepalm-

Sorry man, not everyone thinks Hendrix and Clapton $hit & pissed gold.

But it takes all types. Keep the faith.

lol
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 112
Posted: 6/21/2012 8:01:40 PM
without hendrix and clapton you wouldn't have a lot of the music from the past 40 years.

you don't like it because you didn't grow up with it. neither did i.

but i respect the influence they've had on both music and pop culture.

find a more moving song then tears in heaven.

k.w.
i dare you.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 113
Posted: 6/22/2012 2:57:50 AM

There's 132 notes, and maybe half of those are actually pleasing to the ear.

What the f*ck?
 wanted555
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:48:18 AM
your right! huge percentage of new music is techno disco! i hardly ever see a live band in the new music! wheres rock and roll! theres some out there but the record industry is owned by money greedy fat @@##sses who love to brainwash the public to thinking thier way is the right way ! is it working ?
 mokum
Msg: 115
Posted: 6/23/2012 12:31:13 PM
The longer the history of rock, the harder to come up with something new. I agree with you on that. Some people still manage to do it, though. Check out The Dirty Projectors and St. Vincent, for instance.
 mokum
Msg: 116
Posted: 6/23/2012 1:03:18 PM
I totally agree with you! I'm a boomer myself but all those boomers, and that's just about all of them, listening to Classic Rock only, wallowing in nostalgia, telling everyone who wants to hear an irrelevant opinion, that the best music ever made was back in the 60's and 70's make me puke. They've lost touch after they turned 30. There's nothing wrong with the music that came after that era. It's as good, as exciting, as meaningful, as important. What is wrong is all those people living in the past and finding fault with the present.
 ExitingTheStage
Msg: 117
Posted: 6/23/2012 7:54:23 PM
Possibilities.... they are endless?
Maybe not.

Music evolved.
It reached its' peak and then it starts to sound all the same.

Plus, music with true soul came from pain and pleasure.
A life of hardship and joy.

These texting/digital dummy generations. . . . what deep soulful experiences will they have ... that will be transformed into soulful music?

Rocks bands.... they will get worse ....
or simply be excellent at cover tunes and the variations of old tunes.
 wanted555
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2012 9:49:15 PM
my point is that no! there are great new music out there but they are not having the financial support like they used to ! i remember back in the 70's there was Independant Music labels such as Virgin etc that had great underground bands but the big wigs stomped on them and shut them down or bought them out / now the big wigs will only support the bands that will do what they say and many music now dont even use instruments / tell me thats not fustrating hmn?
 TheReason_
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2012 6:03:12 PM
Foo Fighters is my favorite band, for the record. 90% of music I listen to comes from bands I've done sound for. They are usually unsigned, but there's some great music out there. I get the Wright Brothers comparison. And I'll give you that. So I'll concede that the 60's and 70's have their place in the foundation of Rock music. Even back then there were one hit wonders and a lot of bad music. If you were to look at the charts of the day, I'm sure theres plenty of forgettable music.

These days, anyone can make music, it's just that everyone doesn't have the opportunity of hearing it all.

If I had to pick 3 from the 60's & 70's combined:

Bowie
The Who
T-Rex
 Rheostatic
Msg: 120
Posted: 6/26/2012 11:12:18 PM
This thread is seriously retarded. To any newcomers, save yourself some time and replace every comment with this:

The music I like is better than the music you like.
 dimitri24
Msg: 121
Posted: 6/27/2012 6:23:27 AM
there is tons of good music out there. much of it is unknown because the industry is retarded. a good friend of mine had a great band that was named best band in buffalo in the local papers. they toured the east coast and some of the mid west a lot but they've broken up now. the problem isn't talent. it's still there but mostly in poor cities where people have personalities and don't live safe, watered down lives. you need to be involved in the local show scenes to find it and you might need to go into neighborhoods that you don't feel welcome in occasionally. you need to talk to other people that really appreciate good music like people did in the 60's and 70's. in the 80's-2000's we let the radio and mtv feed us music. opinions were based on what people were trying to sell. after that we used the internet to download what we liked, but weren't exposed to anything new because we weren't talking about music, just downloaded what we know. before that the "good" music was often banned from the radio. people went on the road to become famous. another thing is that back then "rock" was a new thing as it evolved from blues to rock and roll to something a bit different as it got a bit more folk like and developed better lyrics.

the pioneers will always have more recognition because it's the baseline for all comparison. even if new music is good it will always be held up against the old and people will claim things like mimicry, or lack of originality but fact is there are only so many ways to arrange the notes. there is only so much variation you can have before something falls into a different genre all together. music in the same genre will always have commonality and some credit will always be taken from the late comers.

but i think recently some good stuff has popped up. i'm a big fan of the black keys. and pandora and i heart radio and other "intelligent" internet radio stations are now helping people discover music again.
 BassOfFire
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/5/2012 11:55:37 AM
Rock music today hardly has any testosterone. Bands like HIM, The Killers and My Chemical Romance have no balls whatsoever. Newer rock is just no longer about breaking barriers and giving more extreme atmospheres. In Soundgarden's case, I never liked anything release later than Bad Motor Finger. Their earlier albums had a mixture of aggressive, heavy and dark music. My top pick from the big four of grunge was Alice In Chains. I was never serious about getting into Pearl Jam until I heard "Once" about a year ago, but even they portrayed a lot of young male angst. "Once upon a time", the most popular rockers were elite and militant. Overtime, there has been an increasing demand for lighter music on the radio and music television.
 THEKidWicked
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/3/2013 11:23:11 PM

Unfortunately rock is passe now as it's not underground anymore and the cultural decline of the "Anglo-Saxon" world in General.

radio doesn't play a ton of rock anymore but it's still out there. you just have to look for it.

that's kind of the definition of underground, isn't it?

rock needs a kick in the ass. will it be from a rock/techno hybrid? possibly but probably not. the old schoolers won't dig it.

the world needs the next guns n roses type of band. dirty. dangerous.

i hope it happens soon.

k.w.
it's hard to be a rock n roller
 winnertakesssall
Msg: 124
Posted: 4/4/2013 12:12:36 AM
Technology. In one word.
 GuitarPlayer64
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/9/2013 5:38:39 PM

It's extremely difficult to write a song that hasn't been done before. A guitar has 6 strings, 22 frets. There's 132 notes, and maybe half of those are actually pleasing to the ear. There's only so much that can be done, and the bands from the 60's and 70's got to the good stuff first.

That's bull crap if I ever heard it. By your logic, music should have died out 50 years ago because artists ran out of good ideas. That isn't the case at all. See, classical music is still the same as it was 200 years ago, nothing has changed because people had stopped creating it by the turn of the 20th century. Jazz ran a good 70 years before most of the innovators of the genre started dying, and most of the innovators didn't come along until the 40's anyway. Rock music remained strong from the early 60's until the early 90's in a variety of different veins. The quality of music never changed, just the attitude and the approach. Punk and grunge are more simplified styles of rock, with no advanced composition using weird lyrics or recording tricks to make it sound unique, rock didn't get worse, it just evolved into a different form. It's all a matter of perspective, sure some rock music these days isn't as good as the old stuff, I hate crap like Nickelback but that is a prime example of what is wrong with new mainstream music that can all be lumped together as "pop music", because it's popular and it's repetitive. There has always been that kind of thing in music, the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's all have had their fair share of pop acts who had crap music but were still popular. Hell, The Monkey's were one of the most prominent pop bands of the 60's.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?