Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lostcausein
Msg: 126
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 6 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

THIS
 Rheostatic
Msg: 127
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 4/11/2013 2:55:03 PM

Money penetrates the artistry and pureness of an act, hence they fall into the pit of endless greed and malevolence. Where is their mind??

Are you saying musicians shouldn't be paid? Because if they weren't, there wouldn't be any.

Oh, I get it. You were only referring to the bands/musicians whom you don't count among your favorite. Because your taste is so impeccable.

I've said it before and I've said it again. This is the dumbest thread I've ever read.
 gabbo80
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2013 9:15:44 PM
What gets called "rock" these days is basically boy group pop with guitars. It's sad. No self respecting rock music fan would rock out to Maroon 5, The Script and One Republic.
 lostcausein
Msg: 129
Posted: 4/13/2013 8:14:29 AM

I've said it before and I've said it again. This is the dumbest thread I've ever read.

And yet you keep coming back to tell everyone that you're right and everyone else is wrong

( eye roll )
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2013 7:23:23 PM
Back in the 60s every high school had it's garage band...a group of kids who had guitars, a drum set, and a dream. Those who were serious played, wrote, performed in every little dive who would have them...in other words, they paid their dues. The best of them came to the fore...real musicians, real talents, real singer/songwriters, who didn't need computer generated anything, and many still perform today. To name a few...Mark Knopfler, Neil Diamond, Carol King, James Taylor, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Chicago, Doobies, Cream, Eric Clapton, Bob Segar, Neil Young, Crosby, Stills, & Nash, CCR, Gordon Lightfoot, Boz Scaggs, Tommy Emmanuel, Sting, Rod Stewart and most are still performing...need I say more? I call it the Baby Boomer Timewarp the likes of which we'll never see again, and I'm glad I grew up in it. If there's a Rock N Roll Heaven, there's going to be one hell of a band.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 131
Posted: 4/18/2013 9:47:56 PM
aarons916- I think it comes down to why and how music is currently created and/or judged.
It used to be that you actually had to be able to sing and create.
Now, someone you wouldn't give a dollar to if they were playing on the street can be made to sound good thanks to no effort or talent of their own.
Add to that the pressure to get a label and the worry of reflecting the latest chart topper even though it's not relevant to who they are as an artist and an individual and there in is the recipe for music for money rather than music as art.
 Rheostatic
Msg: 132
Posted: 4/19/2013 2:03:57 PM
And yet you keep coming back to tell everyone that you're right and everyone else is wrong

I'm not the one coming in here, spewing out the same old argument of "music ain't what it used to be". That same argument was used by your parents, and their parents...and THEIR parents.

There are thousands of talented artists out there making incredible music. Unfortunately they're not getting the exposure they deserve because people like those in this thread aren't looking for them. All new music is prejudged because it wasn't written 30 years ago. According to most people in here, the only music being made today is what's found on the Top 40 radio stations.

I love music. I love the idea of music, and I've built my life/career around that fact. I love discovering new artists from any genre. Frankly, I'm sick of this dumb argument that "nobody has talent anymore" yada yada yada "everything is auto-tuned" blah blah blah. You prefer music from 60's and 70's. Just admit it. There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't use your own personal taste to automatically dismiss anything new.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 133
Posted: 4/21/2013 9:46:15 AM
I think if we were around then, we would say that "most" old bands sucked too. The ones who survived and got good enough to attract better players, managers and producers sometimes did well, even became stars. And THEN we heard about them.
I like to listen to "Americana" music now, and there is a lot of great stuff from people I never heard of, so keep up the good work out there.
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 3:52:10 PM
Rock music with it's emphasis on guitar and drums is incredibly limited to a handful of chords and rhythms that you can only arrange in that many ways before originality runs out. It was easy in the 60s when this type of music was relatively new to be original and creative and move into into new ways, and the 70s still brought on more sophistication and variation. After that peak it got difficult, and what you may call "terrible" is most likely a lack of originality and creativity.

Nowadays, with cheap instruments and digital recording options it is relatively easy to produce some kind of "music" but a very minimal effort compared to the analog days. So I think the genre has worn itself out, but fortunately with pretty much every kid dabbling in doing it nowadays hopefully we will see the odd real talent emerge from the morass. Some of the locals in this small town still sound nice.
 lostspirit1
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/17/2013 9:47:51 PM
I often remember going to my fathers record collection and finding albums by such artists as Frank Zappa, Eagles,
Doobie brothers ,Deep Purple, Free, Jethro tull, Allman brothers Band, Led Zeppelin ,Toto, Blood sweat and tears, Carol king, Linda Ronstadt, Bob Dylan, Jackson Browne and some early Chicago just to name a few.

Could not believe just about everything in his collection came out before I was even born if not soon after.

This music, excitement and the standard of that songwriting is still turning on a lot of todays musicians, and listeners.

Don't know if you could say the same about e.g Lady gaga, Miley Cyrus, Nickelback ,Cold Play.... without the big laser lights, dancers, Autotune and the public hype,controversy. these types would not last.

The standard of todays Songwriting is shocking they are all equipped with the best technology and producers left write and centre and there turning out 2-3 min garbage.

Does 'The Song Remain the Same' today????
 Mratlonglast
Msg: 136
Posted: 9/18/2013 11:08:35 AM
Let's face it, the golden era of rock is long gone.

It's all been done.

Everything now is either complete crap or recycled in either a good way , bad way or accidentally hilarious way.
 Al3090
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/27/2013 1:33:15 AM
I'm surprised Alter Bridge hasn't been mentioned. Myles Kennedy is one of the best singers in rock today, boasting a vocal range to rival Soundgarden's Chris Cornell. Honestly, Soundgarden's "King Animal" (Nov 13, 2012), Slash and Myles Kennedy's "Apocalyptic Love" (May 18, 2012), and Alter Bridge's "Fortress" (Oct 8, 2013) rank among some of the best albums I've heard. Former Fuel frontman Brett Scallions' band World Fire Brigade had a fairly interesting debut with "Spreading My Wings" (Aug 28, 2012). Fight or Flight, featuring among its members drummer Mike Wrengren and guitarist Dan Donegan, both of Disturbed, had a fairly solid debut with "A Life By Design?" (July 23, 2013). Then there's Jack White's "Blunderbuss" (Apr 23, 2012).

Also worth listening to, if you're into metal, is Black Tide's "Light From Above" (Mar 18, 2008). It's a pretty solid album when you think about how young the band members are even now. "Post Mortem" (Aug 23, 2011) leaves a bit to desire when compared to their previous album, but it still stands out a little from the pack.

So just off the top of my head that's 8 albums in the last 5 years alone right there, with 6 of them in the last 2 years.
 Al3090
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/27/2013 1:40:12 AM
Oh, and I highly recommend Steve Costello. Good up-and-coming young artist. I was lucky enough to watch as this guy bloomed into an exceptional guitarist when he and I were in high school together. If you're a Joe Bonamassa fan, he's one of Steve's biggest influences, so you'll likely enjoy his music.
 Foodfan
Msg: 139
Posted: 9/30/2013 8:29:23 AM

Honestly, Soundgarden's "King Animal" (Nov 13, 2012), Slash and Myles Kennedy's "Apocalyptic Love" (May 18, 2012), and Alter Bridge's "Fortress" (Oct 8, 2013) rank among some of the best albums I've heard.

I guess you haven't heard many albums then, LOL

I don't know about the other 2 but I was pretty disappointed with " K. Animal " - I certainly wouldn't compare it to what I consider the best albums I've heard such as Pink Floyd's " Dark Side of the Moon " or Led Zeppelin's 4th album or Yes's " The Yes Album " or Radiohead's " Ok Computer " or Black Sabbath's " Paranoid " or Pearl Jam's " 10" or Deep Purple's " Machine Head " or " The Wall " by Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin's first album or The Door's first album or....well I could go on and on but ... you get my point , lol
 Proteaus
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/1/2013 6:44:51 PM
Of the newer bands I have listened to one of the better sounding ones is Black Veil Brides . I Like the way their guitars blend together . Some of the newer bands are coming out with some different sounding music that is pretty decent .Talking about the 70's , I starting listening to Sabbath in 72 so I never really listened to much of those easy listening bands like the Who . I think Molly Hatchet was the real southern rock band .
 aquila75
Msg: 141
Posted: 10/5/2013 9:02:44 PM
your right! huge percentage of new music is techno disco

^^^^^
Is disco back? So only another decade to wait before they start making actual music again.
 Iseedudpeople
Msg: 142
Posted: 10/16/2013 8:09:31 AM

IMO the last great era for great bands was grunge which ended around 1995.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

Exactly ! Well said !

I don't think all bands nowadays are " terrible " but they do lack originality .

Of all the new bands that I enjoy listening to , they all sound like something you've heard before but have put their own ingredient to it, which is all you can hope for now IMO.
 BEx48
Msg: 143
Posted: 11/9/2013 9:27:58 PM
It's not just rock bands.... its most bands. People don't study music and music theory anymore, or play from the soul. Playing and writing from the soul sounds totally different then playing and writing from the heart. Therefore the so call music has no soul.; and it sucks. a lot of newer performers are not musicians.. they rely on electronic enablers and studio cover ups for their tunes , music, and playing to sound good. But the reality is they could not do a good acoustic set if their life depended on it...or write a song with an actual melodic scale and understandable content. sad but true..you really have to sift through the crap anymore these days to find anything worth listening too...in all classes of music.. what a pity. happy listening.
 LightGlider
Msg: 144
Posted: 11/10/2013 6:49:09 AM
There are many great bands out there. I hardly listin to commercial main stream music. I don't really care for old music anymore. I enjoyed old music back at its time. It time came and went. Is time for something new. Most music you hear on the radio are artist trying to be like someone else, that copying does not work. Only something original. You need to understand the technicality of music has increased. Most old bands from the 60s and 70s were good but not by today's standers. Most of these old bands were nothing more than a 5 chords bands that repeated over and over again. You are probably stuck into one type of genre type of music. Back in the 80s I was a metal head. Not the type of music I would listin to now days.
 GuitarPlayer64
Msg: 145
Posted: 11/10/2013 4:21:40 PM
The problem is that this generation of music listeners does not have true pioneers, no one has the balls to be different. This generation also doesn't have it's own Frank Zappa, who was not only an amazing guitar player, but one of the most inventive song writers of all time. He wasn't just a great musician, but he surrounded himself with guys most people had never heard of who were great musicians like Terry Bozio, Napoleon Murphy Brock and Steve Vai, and they all had very successful music careers. On top of that, Frank had the balls to say what every other musician was too afraid of, and was the only one who represented the artists in a nonsense legal battle with that old hag Tipper Gore over music censorship, which to this day is still a joke. It's amusing that swearing was and still is considered vulgar, but our society has no problem with rappers using lyrics promoting drug and alcohol use, or abusive behavior towards women. So much for censorship priorities eh? And the fact that no one wants to stand up as artists and actually attack the industry for how much of a corporate shill it is now disgusts me. As someone who has always loved playing music and being a listener, it's deplorable how terrible the new generation of music is. No one is innovative, no one takes a risk and everyone is happy to sit in their little world where all is happy and youth are getting brainwashed by slutty women and a bunch of jagoffs who think it's acceptable to murder people.
 Iseedudpeople
Msg: 146
Posted: 11/10/2013 4:30:57 PM
Lightglider ...

Most old bands from the 60s and 70s were good but not by today's standers.

Please tell me who is better than Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Cream , Black Sabbath, etc ....by TODAY'S standards !

I will check them out and I hope I agree with you !
 LightGlider
Msg: 147
Posted: 11/10/2013 10:37:55 PM
All these bands were good back in the day. Their time has comes and went. Not my type any more. Check out bands like epica, nightWish, serriana, within temptations, elysion. Not your average 5 chord bands. and many others. Even few alternative rock bands are good. Not many though.
 GuitarPlayer64
Msg: 148
Posted: 11/11/2013 5:49:45 PM
I am sorry but there isn't a writer under 30 who can hold a candle compared to many of the great rock pioneers of the 60's and 70's. And you think Nightwish is a good band? There is some bland, uninspiring tripe if I have ever heard it. The only rock bands who really have been unique over the last several years were bands like Radiohead and Muse. I say the last hope of rock and blues ever making a true revival died with Jeff Buckley, hands down one of the greatest male vocalists of all time and would whoop these angsty emo brats.
 Iseedudpeople
Msg: 149
Posted: 11/12/2013 10:41:29 AM

All these bands were good back in the day. Their time has comes and went. Not my type any more. Check out bands like epica, nightWish, serriana, within temptations, elysion

So far I've checked out Epica = bland but I only heard 2 songs so far
Nightwish = bland , only heard 1 song so far
Serianna = turned it off as soon as I heard the vox, I can't take anyone seriously who sings like that

Look, I can understand that your tastes have changed and/or are bored to death of the old dinosaur bands

BUT

Come on .... you can't be seriously saying the Zeps , Floyds , Sabs, etc are INFERIOR ????
 aanarchist
Msg: 150
Posted: 11/15/2013 8:58:08 PM
most musicians are posers meaning most bands will be inferior and eventually disband. also the genre isn't as big as it once was, pop and techno and dub is the new rock/metal so you have to be exemplary nowadays to make it as a rock band.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?