Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Why are most new rock bands terrible?Page 8 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

What I have my biggest gripe over, the lack of modern singing capacity in too many cases

Loads of great singers, they just haven't collaborated with a good band/partner or can get through the politics of the music industry.

No "fabulous "voices by any of the Beatles, but they changed music forever.
Dylan sounded like he had adenoids and was stoned, but his message/songs at the TIME was what people wanted.

You do have some that "get lucky" and the right people come together and make magic.
Music does not have to have some profound message to be good.
A great band does not need to have a pitch perfect,4 octave lead singer.

Music should evoke feelings and nothing more,like any art form.

I can't wait to hear whats new coming out just like when I was a teen, but still love the "old".
You love music or you don't.
Don't buy what you dont like.
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 177
Why are most new rock bands terrible?
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:14:52 AM

It seems like many people stop enjoying or listening to new music when they get into their 30's and older. I don't listen to music a lot now, and I don't hear many songs I'm excited about; but I still listen to some new sounds.

I know huh, seems that way. But I'm sure life has just gotten busy, just not the priority it once was. So understandable, but a bit sad too, music is one of the roots of who they are. Like my best friend who turned to instant coffee after having her kid, it made me sad because real coffee, the good stuff, is just her. I made her return to her good coffee root.
The GM at a place I spend time at did that, just got busy and fell away from his biggest music love. I've been encouraging him to go back to his Smiths/Morrisey loving ways. The other week he bought a t-shirt, it made me happy. I said "never ignore your teenage musical misery".
 DragonBits
Msg: 178
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:24:50 AM
Hearing starts to decline rapidly with age. And if you often listened to loud rock bands when you were younger, then hearing declines even at younger ages.

So likely you can't hear all the notes they play.
 Westernguy
Msg: 179
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:59:48 AM

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.

Spot on !

Westernguy
 Bebopalu
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2014 7:03:52 PM
Interesting theory. Perhaps a fusion of pop music and music from another country will emerge. Another thought, if some new way to alter the sound of instruments is developed, like the development of the electric guitar; maybe it could bring about big changes in pop music.

I wonder if the fact that it is so easy now to hear, or copy, music without paying for it; could somehow bring about originality in music.

In all fairness to bands nowadays, back in the 60's rock was pretty much an empty canvas where all you had to do was sneeze to the left and you were totally unique.

Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before.

I also think the industry is no longer willing to take a chance on something fresh and original. They'd rather play it safe and cater to the teens/sheep.

You know...it's sad but true.
 ICantDoBackflipsAnyway
Msg: 181
Posted: 4/27/2014 7:11:17 AM
So saying that there are no great rock bands anymore, is a lot like asking why the news is biased and shitty. Well, there are literally THOUSANDS of amazing rock bands, probably some of them in your home town. You don't hear about them, because the vast majority of people only get their dose of culture from popular media. And popular media has a vested interest in making money of their own products. Massive companies aren't going to promote small time rock bands, that are out there doing their own thing unless they can see dollar signs.

Bands like Pink Floyd took a great deal of time to put out amazing albums. When a band signs a record deal, they are given a certain amount of time to produce a certain amount of albums. (IE: 5 year deal, with 4 releases)

It's a very difficult thing, as an artist - to come under such time restraints. This makes you a liability to the industry, because they want you to make an album, so that they can sell it. It's much easier to gather up a marketing team, or survey people on what they want to hear, and then create what they've just told you that they want to hear. Much like how the news is based more around, what news YOU want to know about, (that's why they always say, tell us what you think/want)...

Essentially, the pop culture business is a propaganda machine. It is designed to sell an identity, fashion trends, shallow cultural values, etc. By controlling the kinds of media people intake, and by convincing them that this is all that is available you own the market - and people will continue to buy. Most people would rather fit into the group than develop their own tastes. It's all very similar to how politics work, you're given 2 choices, both suck - but you gotta pick one don't you? Or do you?
 Baffalobill
Msg: 182
Posted: 6/28/2014 8:14:14 PM
Simple... everything now is based on "Over production" Clean cut image.
Today bands sound to clean to nice to prettied up, Media seem to be far more concerned on reporting what todays stars are having for breakfast and there relationship status.
That's not what its all about .

Glenn Hughes- "Rock is not meant to be "Yes sir, Thank you maam" Its supposed to be Raw,Unpredictable and Dangerous..
 bamagrl68
Msg: 183
Posted: 7/6/2014 6:19:09 PM
aarons916- Thank you for saying most bands, not all.
Music is one of my interests.
The decline of bands (great ones) can be attributed t0 several things:
1) New artists with song writing skills-You can be a good singer without having song writing skills, but the best artists can do both. The basic foundation of learning music can NOT be lacking in a serious artist.
2)The lack of back up singers- We listened to the perfect mixing of voices for years and often back up singers go unrecognized, but their involvement created a sound that can't be duplicated. All the great bands of the past used them and still do, that is a note worth remembering for new bands today.
3)Autotune- The devil! Seriously, people that can barely sing can be made to sound good and people will buy their music, actual singers that can sing should always be appreciated.
4)Parental/friend influence- People start liking what their friends listen to and some never waver, too bad for them. Parental influence is not to be taken lightly. My children grew up listening to a good variety of music, but they especially know classic rock and have an appreciation for some of the best bands of all time. My children can go to a concert with me and they know the music and the words. We've been to see Journey, Heart, Black Sabbath, Lynard Skynard, Cheap Trick, several others. If you have children, make sure they hear old as well as new music, I don't think you can appreciate one without the other.
One suggestion-check out your local music scenes, all great bands got their start somewhere, you may have a gem close to you and just don't know it. I have had some good times going to see local bands. Why some of them haven't hit it big is a mystery to me, but the point is to discover great bands, so get out and go enjoy the bands in your area.
 Baffalobill
Msg: 184
Posted: 7/6/2014 10:09:23 PM
There is a youtube clip or 2 with Frank Zappa explaining the decline of the music and the business, Even though it is some yrs. ago Zappa believes the blame should start with the young fashion hipsters e.g. M.T.V, And not the older entrepreneur types who were willing to take chancers on young musicians perhaps not even understanding a single note ,not caring weather it was commercial or not but were excited to hear the freedom and want to put it out there.

Imagine what Frank would think of The Voice, Idol, X factor....???
 Coma_White
Msg: 185
view profile
History
Posted: 7/6/2014 11:12:38 PM

Imagine what Frank would think of The Voice, Idol, X factor....???

I don't see anything wrong with American Idol, or the Voice. Those people are singing other peoples' music and basically just want to be performers. They are getting judged based on their ability to sing and perform. It's no different than the people that wanted to be opera stars hundreds of years ago. The ones that worked hard to be good performers got hired before the mediocre ones. It's basically just a way to audition people while letting them entertain the public.
 ace41s
Msg: 186
Posted: 7/27/2014 4:56:31 AM
That's true to an extent - though I do think that music has gone down hill somewhat since the 2000s and the era of the internet.

I think that what with Ipads, Itunes, etc it's become a lot more commercialized and marketed to a younger audience (and somewhat dumbed down).

As far as rock goes I dislike that it's become so "whiny" and "wussy" ever since the 90s grunge area - it used to be "cool", now most if it is just whiny guys lamenting getting dumped by their ex, or slitting their wrists, etc
 Etritonakin
Msg: 187
Posted: 7/27/2014 9:35:52 AM
Lack of true musical talent or education (even if self-education), lack of intricacy, shallow lyrics -most follow a proven formula rather than experimenting
 Coma_White
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2014 11:19:20 AM

Lack of true musical talent or education (even if self-education), lack of intricacy, shallow lyrics -most follow a proven formula rather than experimenting

That's true. The problem is that most of the songs we hear on the radio are written by the same 4 or 5 people. Those songs get sold to all the pop artists and they're al kinda the same. No one would ever listen to Ke$ha for her deep lyrics. She even said she didn't want to sing the song about dying young but she was under a contract.
 Etritonakin
Msg: 189
Posted: 7/27/2014 10:42:02 PM

So saying that there are no great rock bands anymore, is a lot like asking why the news is biased and shitty. Well, there are literally THOUSANDS of amazing rock bands, probably some of them in your home town. You don't hear about them, because the vast majority of people only get their dose of culture from popular media. And popular media has a vested interest in making money of their own products. Massive companies aren't going to promote small time rock bands, that are out there doing their own thing unless they can see dollar signs.

THIS
 Somedude847
Msg: 190
Posted: 8/20/2014 8:19:10 PM
"Now ? It's pretty much impossible to sound unique - everything's been done !
Don't agree ?
Well, write me some rock songs that don't sound like something I've ever heard before"

Dumbest shit I've ever heard. This applies to every genre and you see tons and tons of good bands popping up all around. Apparently everythings been done before in hardcore/metal but you don't see any lack of good bands coming out of there.
 Baffalobill
Msg: 191
Posted: 8/21/2014 12:02:56 AM
Coma White - That's true. The problem is that most of the songs we hear on the radio are written by the same 4 or 5 people. Those songs get sold to all the pop artists and they're al kinda the same. No one would ever listen to Ke$ha for her deep lyrics. She even said she didn't want to sing the song about dying young but she was under a contract.

That's right e.g. 'Stock Aitken Waterman ' The same crap just Regurgitated ...Made for pretty girls and boys..

M.T.V is also to blame... The day when people stopped listening to music with there ears and instead started listening to music with there eyes ..The "Video Clip" may have began some lengthy careers if you count the young and good looking,

But it also destroyed a lot of well established Great Preforming /Songwriters who had previously managed to make a decent , honest living out of live music...Many talented artists were dropped from record labels ..
 Etritonakin
Msg: 192
Posted: 8/21/2014 8:15:48 PM

Well, there are literally THOUSANDS of amazing rock bands, probably some of them in your home town.

Again.... every individual is unique -every local group more so ... and, if so, it's all about exposure.
Do they try to be heard? Do you try to hear them?
 CanadianMusicMan12
Msg: 193
Posted: 9/4/2014 9:54:10 PM
[quote don't see anything wrong with American Idol, or the Voice. Those people are singing other peoples' music and basically just want to be performers. They are getting judged based on their ability to sing and perform. It's no different than the people that wanted to be opera stars hundreds of years ago. The ones that worked hard to be good performers got hired before the mediocre ones. It's basically just a way to audition people while letting them entertain the public.

See, the problem with this logic is that the people who are judging this so called talent are all a bunch of washed up hasbeens who haven't had a hit in ages and weren't talented enough to have a lengthy music career. I am sure every great dead artist that these losers allow people to insult on television are spinning in their graves. I am sure if greats like Frank Zappa were alive, he'd want all the judges and the network executives lynched for their persistent atrocities towards music. Music today is insulting, then again I expect no less from the pathetic plebians who listen to mindless auto tuning nonsense and think that people like Christina Agulera and Nicki Minaj know how to tell what talent is when their insulting careers were riddled with auto tuning. As someone who writes his own music, I'd like nothing more then to smite these dumb plebs with a guitar.
 Coma_White
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2014 10:02:55 PM

See, the problem with this logic is that the people who are judging this so called talent are all a bunch of washed up hasbeens who haven't had a hit in ages and weren't talented enough to have a lengthy music career. I am sure every great dead artist that these losers allow people to insult on television are spinning in their graves. I am sure if greats like Frank Zappa were alive, he'd want all the judges and the network executives lynched for their persistent atrocities towards music. Music today is insulting, then again I expect no less from the pathetic plebians who listen to mindless auto tuning nonsense and think that people like Christina Agulera and Nicki Minaj know how to tell what talent is when their insulting careers were riddled with auto tuning. As someone who writes his own music, I'd like nothing more then to smite these dumb plebs with a guitar.

The judges are looking for people that would do well singing songs that are written for them. They're looking for someone they can market. These people are good at scouting talent like this. Their own hits are irrelevant. They're not song writers, they're talent scouts. They're not looking for an artist like Zappa, they're looking for someone to perform and make money. It's just a competition to be a pop singer, nothing more. I think you're looking to deeply into this. There are a lot of acts that cover other peoples' music. Would you put down an opera singer for auditioning to sing Mozart instead of her own opera? You can generally make more money as a tribute band than playing original music.
 CanadianMusicMan12
Msg: 195
Posted: 9/4/2014 10:15:32 PM
And so they continue to perpetuate the reasons why the music industry sucks so much. Yes, keep making up more products, they have to in order to sell records because music sales are dwindling for this exact reason. Maybe if instead of allowing this shill garbage, they let people write what they want. If I had the choice between being rich and having someone write all my songs for me and living in a box on the streets, I'd rather live in the box. Who wants to be remembered for not having contributed anything to music? That is what every pop star will be remembered for.
 Coma_White
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2014 10:43:21 PM

And so they continue to perpetuate the reasons why the music industry sucks so much. Yes, keep making up more products, they have to in order to sell records because music sales are dwindling for this exact reason. Maybe if instead of allowing this shill garbage, they let people write what they want. If I had the choice between being rich and having someone write all my songs for me and living in a box on the streets, I'd rather live in the box. Who wants to be remembered for not having contributed anything to music? That is what every pop star will be remembered for.

They do let people write what they want, but they can't invest in artists that don't turn a profit. There are many bands and artists that write their own material that are on major record labels. There's a demand for pop stars the same way there's a demand for opera singers. A certain demographic of people enjoy that music and want to pay money to see it performed. I see no shame in being able to sing someone else's songs well. That's a valuable skill to have.
 CanadianMusicMan12
Msg: 197
Posted: 9/5/2014 6:01:06 AM
Record sales are not indicative how how good an artist is. Look at some of the great bands of all time who didn't have early record sales success like Rush. They had to create their way to independence by doing the exact opposite of what the record label wanted. 2112 bought them their freedom to write whatever they wanted, and they basically gave their label a huge middle finger while doing it because of how the song 2112 exemplifies the collective thought where no one can express themselves. And the worst part of it is that record companies still hold the same attitude today, profits before quality.
 Coma_White
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2014 9:50:22 AM

Record sales are not indicative how how good an artist is. Look at some of the great bands of all time who didn't have early record sales success like Rush. They had to create their way to independence by doing the exact opposite of what the record label wanted. 2112 bought them their freedom to write whatever they wanted, and they basically gave their label a huge middle finger while doing it because of how the song 2112 exemplifies the collective thought where no one can express themselves. And the worst part of it is that record companies still hold the same attitude today, profits before quality.

They have to value profits over quality. If they didn't, they would go out of business and they wouldn't be able to pay their staff. Who decides if an artist is good or not? I'm sure some people love Rush and some people probably can't stand them. That part is all subjective. I like noisy music like Sonic Youth, but I'm sure a lot of people would say it's crap.
 sunsetsam
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/5/2014 10:04:22 AM

They have to value profits over quality. If they didn't, they would go out of business and they wouldn't be able to pay their staff.

Was that not also true in the past when record companies took a chance on original sounding artists like Cream, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix , Kiss, Rush, Yes , etc ?????

The difference between then and now is NOBODY wants to take a chance on original sounding artists anymore because they can just play it safe by selling formula CRAP to the masses of sheep who encourage this dreadful cycle to continue by eating it up with a spoon over and over again.
 Coma_White
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2014 11:41:08 AM

Was that not also true in the past when record companies took a chance on original sounding artists like Cream, Elton John, Jimi Hendrix , Kiss, Rush, Yes , etc ?????

The difference between then and now is NOBODY wants to take a chance on original sounding artists anymore because they can just play it safe by selling formula CRAP to the masses of sheep who encourage this dreadful cycle to continue by eating it up with a spoon over and over again.

They actually do take quite a few chances in promoting artists and singles. Sometimes they spend more money promoting a single than the profit they make. They might sign 20 artists and if 5 of them pay off, it was worth taking a loss on the other 15.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Why are most new rock bands terrible?