Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > On Wisconsin.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 255
On Wisconsin.Page 13 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

I fear that stock market values are the equivalent of an economic Wonder-bra, it looks real good from a distance, but upon close examination there's not much there :(

Well, I guess it's way worse than mortgage backed derivatives...I fear the economy is going into the toilet any second now...the sky is falling...it's tax time and I'm paying too much (opps...it's those making more than $400k that got the increase)...it's that Al qaeda operative Obama's fault...Obamacare is going to ruin the country...gays getting married and having the same spousal benefits as me is going to ruin the country...oh where oh where is Sarah Palin whn you need her?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 256
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/31/2013 3:55:45 AM
Realize as well, that the Republicans want you to THINK that the federal government is pumping up the economy falsely with huge expenditures, but that is a flat out lie. They have themselves been standing in the way of even the relatively small things that the other side wanted to do along those lines.

I'm actually more concerned myself, that the stock market is being pumped up by the private investors for the wrong reasons. I.e., a repeat of the derivatives mess, wherein playing games with numbers, and using insider trading tricks, allows the big guys to reap huge profits with almost no real general economic gain outside of the trading floor.

What I have known for certain, for a very long time, is that the stock market no longer has any direct bearing on the health of most Americans' economic lives. That link was severed back in the 80's.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 257
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/31/2013 5:33:57 AM

I fear that stock market values are the equivalent of an economic Wonder-bra, it looks real good from a distance, but upon close examination there's not much there

That's cute. I disagree but very funny.

I'm actually more concerned myself, that the stock market is being pumped up by the private investors for the wrong reasons. I.e., a repeat of the derivatives mess, wherein playing games with numbers, and using insider trading tricks, allows the big guys to reap huge profits with almost no real general economic gain outside of the trading floor.

I think it is being pumped up by "private investors" (not sure what you mean by private investor) for the right reasons. We've had the lowest volatility in the stock market since the early 90's, a certain sign of stability and a lack of huge, manipulated profits for anyone. The reasons the market has been creeping up lately are the following...1) ultra low interest rates due to Federal money creation and bond purchasing. 2) ultra weak job market and high enemployment so corporations spend less on labour and are more profitable. 3) ultra low commodity prices so investors are not seeking their returns in commodities.

Corporate profits are actually higher because of these three things. Low returns in other markets is what drives people to equities but it is certainly not a stampede and can in no way be considered a bubble. When you see an actual economic recovery in the US and the fed stops printing money and interest rates go higher, all the factors that created this stronger stock market will go into reverse and you will see a decline in p/e ratios and lower stock prices. But the economy will be stronger. The investment you will see in the stock market thus becomes speculative, volatility goes up and people can manipulate prices again because there will be more players...sellers...but more action in general than today. Then it becomes possible to bring on the numbers games and trading tricks.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 258
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/31/2013 5:45:12 AM
There is another possible reason for the rise in the American stock markets..and one that has yet to be explored.
And that is, even with the sluggish jobs market and all the other turmoil in America, it remains the most stable economy in the world, and thus, is a safe haven for foriegn investment....

Foreign investment in the U.S. dwarfed American investment abroad by the biggest margin on record for much of last year, leaving the U.S. economy more vulnerable to external shocks but also suggesting the nation remains a magnet for foreign funds after the financial crisis.

America's "international investment position" in 2012—how much the value of foreign investments in the U.S. exceeded U.S. investments abroad—jumped to $4.7 trillion in the second and third quarters of last year before falling to $4.4 trillion by year's end, up from $4.0 trillion at the end of 2011, the Commerce Department said in a report Tuesday that provided quarterly data for the first time.

The $4.7 trillion gap in the second and third quarters was the biggest since the government began tracking the figures in 1976, according to the report.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323466204578384704161999108.html

Of course this has nothing to do with Scott Walkers destruction of the Wisconsin economy.
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 259
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 2/23/2015 9:47:25 AM

Of course this has nothing to do with Scott Walkers destruction of the Wisconsin economy.

Speaking of destroying the ecomony.

While Walker is not busy trying to not offend his base by saying that Obama is a christian he is gutting as much as he can.

Scott Walker's Plans For University Of Wisconsin Are Epically Stupid
Kevin O'Marah Contributor
2/22/2015 @ 11:43AM

Gov. Scott Walker plans to cut $300M from the budget of the University of Wisconsin and, if he has his way, will alter its mission from a “search for truth” to “meeting the state’s workforce needs.” These steps are so fantastically at odds with what the business community, economy and state need from its public university system that no synonym for ‘stupid’ is too strong...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinomarah/2015/02/22/the-epic-stupidity-of-scott-walker/
 HFX_RGB
Msg: 260
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/16/2015 5:51:40 AM
From the GOP fails at Math files:

Scott Walker cut $541 million in taxes last year. Now his state will miss a $108 million debt payment.
By Jeff Guo February 18

To help close the state’s $283 million budget shortfall this year, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R) plans to skip a $108 million debt payment scheduled for May.

Walker, a likely presidential candidate whose campaign message rooted in Wisconsin’s fiscal record, has been struggling to balance the budget in his home state before the June 30 deadline. Pushing off debt payments is one tactic that he and predecessors have used in the past.

By missing the May payment, Walker will incur about $1.1 million in additional interest fees between 2015 and 2017. The $108 million debt will continue to live on the books; Walker’s budget proposal for 2015-2017 will pay down no more than about $18 million of the principal.

Read more at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/02/18/scott-walker-cut-541-million-in-taxes-last-year-now-his-state-will-miss-a-108-million-debt-payment/
 LOLTrump
Msg: 261
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 8/1/2017 9:02:57 AM
More great news out of Wisconsin.

Anyone remember when Walker said this:

"The protection of big business remains a common thread in Mr Obama’s policies, which have come at the expense of the consumer, the taxpayer and the entrepreneur. A growing coalition of reformers — rooted in citizen movements across the political spectrum — reject this pernicious crony capitalism. Our solutions promote an opportunity society, one that is rooted in the US commitment to free enterprise"

Well I hope you are sitting down, because he just announced a 3 billion dollar giveaway that will will mean a foreign companies payroll well be essentially paid by Wisconsin taxpayers, while the profits go to Taiwanese taxpayers at the behest of politicians who cast themselves as champions of the free market.

Oh and if you wondering how did he respond to questions from the press about this, you would have forgotten this is a conservative and as such, they do not take questions when they are acting like hypocrites.

Scott Walker’s $3 billion fraud
A self-proclaimed champion of the free market pushes a breathtaking giveaway to a foreign company.
Judd Legum
Editor-In-Chief, ThinkProgress
Jul 31

When Scott Walker announced his candidacy for the President of the United States on July 13, 2015, he sent an email to supporters explaining why he was running for the Republican nomination.

“I’m a conservative because I believe in a smaller government, lower taxes and a free market,” Walker wrote.

744 days later, sharing a stage with Donald Trump, the man who defeated him, Walker announced he was giving $3 billion in taxpayer money to a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer, Foxconn. The company is best known for making component parts for the iPhone and other Apple products. The stunning deal is 50 times larger than any previous public incentive package.

Read more about goverment picking winners and losers at:
https://thinkprogress.org/scott-walkers-3-billion-fraud-a03f181105ec
 gtomustang
Msg: 262
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 8/1/2017 2:03:05 PM
and yet jerkoff trump supporters will say the GOP is good for jobs, the Dems who saved General Motors when Romney wanted it dead, are bad for jobs. Oh well, can't fix stupid, esp. the ones who just can't admit the black man did any good. better to have the angry white man make chaos, at least he tells the cops its ok to be rough.

Gee, why give money to an Asian company when there was the TPP deal...oh, yeah, that's right. The Dealmeister gave that one away so the Pacific Rim is free to make any deal it wants, and hold us hostage. Boy, aren't the Midwesterns so glad they went Chump.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > On Wisconsin.