Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > On Wisconsin.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Twilightslove
Msg: 51
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.Page 3 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
You are not alone Wisconsin.

Perry may turn down millions as he slashes education funding
By Liz Goodwin liz Goodwin – Mon Mar 7, 4:06 pm ET

Texas Gov. Rick Perry may leave $830 million in federal education funds on the table even as he proposes billions in cuts to public education.

Texas' Democratic congressional delegation attached a string to the stimulus money, saying Perry could only access it if he agreed to keep state education spending at existing levels, The Wall Street Journal's Ana Campoy writes. Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-Texas) told the paper he didn't want Perry to take the federal money and then use state education funds to plug Texas' other budget holes instead of sending it to schools. Perry says making such a promise would be illegal.

The conflict comes at a dire time for Texas schools. One school financing consulting firm estimated 100,000 teachers could lose their jobs under Perry's cuts, the AP reports, in part because of rules that don't allow districts to lower teacher salaries. One proposal cuts $9.8 billion to public education over the next two years.

Not all programs are suffering, though: Perry is adding $50 million to a financial incentive program that encourages businesses to come to Texas, an amount that the AP estimates could pay for 1,000 teachers to keep their jobs.

"If you lay off 1,000 teachers, you're going to have some greater number of that jobs loss because, presumably, those teachers are not going to be spending money in those communities," University of North Texas economist Terry Clower told the AP. "That's going to flow through the economy."

One Fort Worth second-grader brought a sackful of change to school after hearing on the news that teachers could be fired. The city may lose $80 million in funding over the next two years.

Texas is facing a projected two-year budget shortfall of up to $27 billion. Perry says he'll close the gap without raising taxes or using the state's $9.3 billion in rainy day funds, even though lawmakers from his own party want to tap into the funds. Public education could be cut by $9.8 billion, and Pre-K programs would be eliminated entirely under current proposals.

As it seems increasingly unlikely the state would avoid education cuts, some education groups are calling on Doggett to release the federal stimulus funds from the condition. Meanwhile, thousands of teachers and students are expected to rally at the Capitol on March 12 to urge Perry to use the rainy day fund to restore education funding.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110307/us_yblog_thelookout/perry-may-turn-down-millions-as-he-slashes-education-funding;_ylt=Ahd3PHGr5sFfHr7Pc4qZfpuYx8Z_;_ylu=X3oDMTFlY3JkaXRzBHBvcwM2BHNlYwN5bl9wcm9tb3NfYmxvZ19odG1sBHNsawNwZXJyeW1heXR1cm4-#mwpphu-container

This man wants to be just like George W. Bush. Please DO NOT vote for him if he runs for president. Thank you.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 52
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/8/2011 3:27:03 AM
As many noted early on, the Wisconsin debacle is merely a symptom of a systemic disease that has infected the Teapublican misleadership. These fascsist wanna-be fanatics have actually revitalized the labor movement in their haste to sate their corporate masters. They are also intent on going after the poor and young to deny them voting rights which will also hopefully ignite activism on those fronts and ensure that from 2012, that the party of fear and hate will dissipate into the gutter of history.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/03/06/AR2011030602662.html
New Hampshire's new Republican state House speaker is pretty clear about what he thinks of college kids and how they vote. They're "foolish," Speaker William O'Brien said in a recent speech to a tea party group.

In states, parties clash over voting laws that call for IDs, limits on where college students can cast ballots
As unions' dynamic shifts, so does fight
"Voting as a liberal. That's what kids do," he added, his comments taped by a state Democratic Party staffer and posted on YouTube. Students lack "life experience," and "they just vote their feelings."

New Hampshire House Republicans are pushing for new laws that would prohibit many college students from voting in the state - and effectively keep some from voting at all.
 4rumninja
Msg: 53
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/8/2011 11:15:46 AM
There are no Good reasons not to show a Photo ID to vote....if we were a country that enforced its immigration laws a Photo ID would not be necessary...

The argument that it disenfranchises citizen voters is blatantly false...
many of the states that have photo ID voting laws have made getting copies of Birth Certificates free and the cost of getting ID's Free....

In 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld Indiana’s photo ID law, concluding that it imposed no undue burden on voters.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 54
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/8/2011 11:52:14 AM

There are no Good reasons not to show a Photo ID to vote

The New Hampshire bill requires college student to have been a resident before they enrolled in order to be allowed to vote. This bill will prevent them from being able to vote, unless they fly home--which is the real intent of the bill.

If I recall, the first order of business for the Republicans when they were elected into office four months ago was suppose to be job creation. Instead, we have union busting, attacks on education, repealing of abortion laws, McCathian witch-hunt hearing against people of the Muslim faith, tax breaks for the richest Americans; but nothing that has anything to do with job creation.

And so it goes. The richest among us continue to pillage this nation's wealth, abetted by politicians who advocate only for the interests of their corporate overlords.
 trinity818
Msg: 55
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/8/2011 1:11:44 PM

The New Hampshire bill requires college student to have been a resident before they enrolled in order to be allowed to vote. This bill will prevent them from being able to vote, unless they fly home--which is the real intent of the bill.

Can't they vote using absentee ballots? Florida requires that you be a resident to vote here. That means you must prove you have lived here for a year prior to an election. That doesn't seem unreasonable. Am I missing something here?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 56
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/8/2011 4:37:50 PM
Yeah...You are missing the part where specific groups are being targeted, like Unions, Students, Blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, the elderly and young, homeless, disproportionatley felonized minorities, homeless, urban voing blocks and many others who vote for people who give a damn about others. The aforementioned are bieng targeted BECAUSE they tend to vote and support Dems over Teapublicans who already got Theirs on the backs of the rest of us. It is a power play to ensure a forever coporate/fascist control structure in the former democracy that we once had for a brief period. If you don't get it, you are part of it. Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and other anti-democracy Teapublican states are changing the concept of democracy in favor of Koch-style oligarchy, sucking in the manipulated masses of workers into a civil war against one another, and smiling all the way to the bank. Look at the wealth structure, trends, who owns media, messaging, and who loses in the l0ng run and you might, somehow, but too late, get it.
 trinity818
Msg: 57
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 5:39:44 AM
If you don't get it, you are part of it.

Bullsh!t.

4rumninja
Msg: 58
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:25:12 AM
Was wrong about Birth certificates what I read was in legislation proposed by some of the other States...It is possible however to vote in the photo ID states without a photo ID therefore negating the need to provide birth certificates ...

They also allow for absentee voting..since these allegedly disenfranchised voters cannot afford to get Birth certificates this is a great option as they don't have to provide picture ID and they don't have to pay for transport to polling stations..

LA,ID,MI, and SD allow voters without picture ID to sign affidavits in lieu of required ID..
Fla-If no picture ID is presented,Provisional ballot is allowed the signature must match signature on voter registration card.
IN-Indiana provides IDs free of charge to people without driver's licenses. It also allows voters who lack photo ID's to cast a provisional ballot and then show up within 10 days at their county courthouse to produce identification or OTHERWISE ATTEST TO THEIR IDENTITY.
GA-Can receive free Voter ID card, no Birth Certificate is necessary.

Well, you disagree with the opinion, that's for sure. Doesn't make it false. That's also for sure.
The Supreme Courts seem to share my opinion as well..
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 59
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:30:02 AM

There are no Good reasons not to show a Photo ID to vote....if we were a country that enforced its immigration laws a Photo ID would not be necessary...

The argument that it disenfranchises citizen voters is blatantly false...

Except that it is quantifiable.
http://faculty.washington.edu/mbarreto/research/Voter_ID_APSA.pdf
Application of the requirements are often subject to arbitrary and caprecious enforcement.
http://www.alternet.org/rights/67161/

Actual cases of voter fraud are so miniscule as to be extremely insignificant. It is manufacture mythology used to advance the corporate agenda to disinfranchise and wipe out liberal voter influence by any means they can muster, Voter ID included. One legislator recently introduced legislation that would only allow home owners to vote. When the wealthy control the vote counting industry, and still have issues of being unable to buy enough votes for their political pawns, they have to wipe out the liberal voter influence.
http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/whomakes.htm
http://www.campusprogress.org/articles/conservative_corporate_advocacy_group_alec_behind_voter_disenfranchise/

Wisconsin is the "meth lab" of the Conservatives drugs of choice to poison the political system. The Wisconsin situation is an indicator of the larger corporate agenda.
 trinity818
Msg: 60
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:31:15 AM
Florida is a very transient state. People come and go all of the time. I disagree that the residency requirement is unreasonable given the nature of our population. When voting on state and local issues, I think the voters should be invested in caring about what happens here.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 61
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 6:47:16 AM

Florida is a very transient state. People come and go all of the time. I disagree that the residency requirement is unreasonable given the nature of our population. When voting on state and local issues, I think the voters should be invested in caring about what happens here.

Every state in the union is now transient...

So, if I move to Florida...and establish residency...I cannot absentee vote from my former state because I'm no longer a resident...therefore, I'm a non-voter for a year...sheesh...

But, as with most republican statements...there seems to be a disconnect between the facts and what they believe...the following are the voter registration rules from the Florida Department of Voter Registration:

Who Can Register to Vote
In order to register to vote in Florida, you must:

Be a citizen of the United States of America;
Be a Florida resident;
Be 18 years old (you may pre-register to vote if you are 16 years old, but you cannot vote until you are 18 years old).
Not now be adjudicated mentally incapacitated with respect to voting in Florida or any other state;
Not have been convicted of a felony without your civil rights having been restored; and
Provide your current and valid Florida driver’s license number or Florida identification card number. You must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number if you do not have a Florida driver’s license number or a Florida identification card number. If you do not have any of these items, you must mark the box indicated on the Voter Registration Application as “NONE

I don't see the 1 year residency requirement...am I missing something???

Along the lines of being invested in the community...I read an interesting Teapublican comment on who should be allowed to vote...it seems that only property owners should have the right to vote...since they really are the only ones who have vested interest in the community...all others being transients...and after all this is what our fore fathers thought...the founders of the constitution...

And I agree...let us also go back to the time when women could not hold property...as well as all other non-humans...as a white male property owner...I'll be able to get and hold onto what is god given right...

Of course, I jest...please see the satire in my post...

I do see the Republican/Teapublican effort in disenfranchising certian Americans...the intent is to disenfranchise those Americans that predominately vote Democrat...to negate us...
 trinity818
Msg: 62
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 7:18:21 AM
I've been searching for more information on Florida's registration requirements. I'm sorry folks, apparently I'm wrong about waiting a year. I apologize for the misinformation.

However, it's for neither you nor anyone else to determine how another person makes the decision about who / what to vote for.

I don't know how you get this impression from any of my posts. I don't think I've ever implied this in the least. I never intended for the term "invested" to apply specifically to property owners.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 63
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 7:49:49 AM

You know I read invested and I thought that sounds like something I read:

Tea Party Nation President Judson Phillips

PHILLIPS: The Founding Fathers originally said, they put certain restrictions on who gets the right to vote. It wasn’t you were just a citizen and you got to vote. Some of the restrictions, you know, you obviously would not think about today. But one of those was you had to be a property owner. And that makes a lot of sense, because if you’re a property owner you actually have a vested stake in the community. If you’re not a property owner, you know, I’m sorry but property owners have a little bit more of a vested interest in the community than non-property owners.
http://www.thinkprogress.org/2010/11/30/tea-party-voting-property/

I don't know how you get this impression from any of my posts. I don't think I've ever implied this in the least. I never intended for the term "invested" to apply specifically to property owners.

So...we're wrong about free ID's...we're wrong about the actual voting requirements...I find that the basics are often misrepresented.

I've been searching for more information on Florida's registration requirements. I'm sorry folks, apparently I'm wrong about waiting a year. I apologize for the misinformation

Funny...this was the first site listed on google for Florida registration requirements for voters....http://election.dos.state.fl.us/voter-registration/voter-reg.shtml

EDIT: You cannot find the voter registrations requirements for your own state...but...in a heart beat can find this:

The Supreme Court agrees with you. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781452.html

There's a certian disconnect in what you post.

Why? Because I'm willing to acknowledge both sides?

Well, you do when proved wrong.

trinity818
Msg: 64
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 7:51:04 AM
Wanting a person to invest time in the area in order to "care" more is definitely an implication of wanting to determine how that new person decides who/what to vote for.

The new person is still capable and able to vote for whomever/whatever they want. How is that an implication of wanting to determine who/what to vote for? Do you feel that implies wanting time to influence them? They are privy to the same information I am. I'm not trying to be argumentative. I am interested in your viewpoint because I have a great deal of respect for you.

Requiring a certain duration of residency before one is permitted to vote just doesn't adhere to the spirit of the "right" to vote.

The Supreme Court agrees with you. http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0781452.html

were we misrepresenting how hard it is to find certian basic facts??

No. Unfortunately I was relying on my faulty memory from when I moved here. I thought I knew our laws. I've already acknowledged my error.

There's a certian disconnect in what you post.

Why? Because I'm willing to acknowledge both sides?
 trinity818
Msg: 65
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 8:13:52 AM
Well, you do when proved wrong.

Well at least, I DO acknowledge it. I promise not to rely on my addled memory in the future.
 4rumninja
Msg: 66
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 10:37:12 AM

I do see the Republican/Teapublican effort in disenfranchising certian Americans...the intent is to disenfranchise those Americans that predominately vote Democrat
Please show how these Photo ID requirements disenfranchise potential voters. Voting is a Right reserved for Citizens, why shouldn't there be some mechanism in place to insure that anyone who votes is an American?

How is requiring a Photo ID for voting any different than requiring a Photo ID to exercise your "Right" to own a gun?

there seems to be a disconnect between the facts and what they believe
This can be applied to both sides of the issue..apparently in Florida if you do not have a Photo ID you can vote provisionally, or you can vote absentee...So no one should be disenfranchised by the photo ID requirements...
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 67
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/9/2011 11:16:36 AM
Unless you are elderly, in the military, a college student or disabled, a homeless Veteran, a domestic abuse survivor living in a shelter, or living in poverty, you might not possibly be able to understand the disenfranchisement process and how it is designed by republicans, for republicans. There is a reason that the Koch Brothers and other far right manipulators are promoting Voter ID. It's not at all about fraud. The fraud is miniscule, and there are dire consequences for voter fraud already. It's about making it far more difficult for certain citizen demographics in our society to participate in the voting process, the targeted groups, like the Unions, tend to vote for candidates who look after human interests rather than corporate profits.

There is ample evidence that these tactics DO disenfranchise select groups of voters, and ample evidence on who is behind this tactic and what their motives truly are. Just because one refuses to look at the evidence and keep their red blinders on, does not make the evidence any less real out here in the real world.
 4rumninja
Msg: 68
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/10/2011 7:03:42 AM
It is about time....It's like Obama said "Elections have consequences"....the Democrats need to get back to work ....sometimes things don't go your way, that is the way the system works...Kind of like when the Dems passed Obamacare without a single Republican voting for it, they had the majority and ran the legislation through...At least the Republicans showed up and voted....
 Twilightslove
Msg: 69
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/14/2011 7:46:39 AM
Scott Walker's real agenda is to privatize everything.

A peek into Governor Walker's so-called "budget repair bill" reveals a shop of horrors that is just the opposite of actually repairing the budget. Among the items listed in the bill until Wednesday night were selloffs of state power generation facilities – in no-bid contracts notoriously prone to insider dealing. The 37 facilities he wants to sell off that produce heating and cooling at low cost to the state's universities and prisons. Walker's budget repair bill would have unloaded them at a low price, presumably to campaign contributors such as Koch Industries – and then stick the bill for producing this power at higher rates to Wisconsin taxpayers in perpetuity. (And this is all being sold as a "taxpayer relief" plan!) Invariably, this will make its way into new legislation once attention is diverted from the current controversy.

The budget bill also plans to tear down the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS). This is not New Jersey, where a succession of corrupt governments have underfunded (read: stolen) the state pension system in order to shift resources to pay for budget shortfalls in general revenues caused by tax breaks for the rich. The WRS is one of the nation's most stable, well-funded and best-managed pension systems. Although Wisconsin is not a big state, the WRS has amassed $75bn in reserves, and pays out handsome pensions to its public retirees, without needing new public subsidy. The Walker bill has language providing for tearing down this system, raiding its assets to pay for further tax cuts for the rich (especially property owners), and then throwing Wall Street a meaty bone as public employees would be shifted to 401k plans handled by money managers on commission.

In a separate proposal, Governor Walker would start privatising the University of Wisconsin's two flagship doctorate-granting campuses. Ironically, the land grant universities – of which Wisconsin has long been among the best – were created by protectionist 19th-century Republicans as an alternative approach to British free-market doctrine, which dominated the prestigious and largely anglophile Ivy League universities. These universities, like their German counterparts, taught a new economic policy of state management and public enterprise that formed the basis for subsequent US and German development. Walker would kill off this tradition, and return intellectual production to the highest bidder.

Other proposals suggest selling off Wisconsin's public northwoods lands with their cornucopia of mineral and timber wealth. And much more is said to be in the works.

So Walker's war is not only against the Democrats and labour, it is against Wisconsin's Progressive Era institutions. His policy threatens to pauperise the state and deal a coup de grace to Progressive Era institutions and impoverish the state's middle class. Contra John Maynard Keynes's gentle suggestion of "euthanasia of the rentier", it is the middle class that is being euthanised – throughout North America and Europe.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2011/mar/10/wisconsin-usa?CMP=twt_gu
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 70
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:04 PM
A unionized public employee, Scott Walker a Teaparty Republican, and a CEO are sitting at a table. In the middle of the table there is a plate with a dozen cookies on it. The CEO reaches across and takes 11 cookies, looks at Scott Walker and says,"look out for that union guy, he wants a piece of your cookie."

Actually, Governer Walker is sliding the 11 cookies acroos to the CEO, and telling his constituents the union guy wants a piece of your cookie.
 PGL7
Msg: 71
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/20/2011 5:15:16 AM
A dedicated Teamsters union worker was attending a convention in Las Vegas and decided to check out the local brothels.
When he got to the first one, he asked the Madam, "Is this a union house?"

"No," she replied, "I'm sorry it isn't."

"Well, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?"

"The house gets $80 and the girls get $20," she answered.

Offended at such unfair dealings, the union man stomped off down the street in search of a more equitable, hopefully unionized shop. His search continued until finally he reached a brothel where the Madam responded, "Why yes sir, this is a union house. We observe all union rules."

The man asked, "And, if I pay you $100, what cut do the girls get?"
"The girls get $80 and the house gets $20."

"That's more like it!" the union man said.

He handed the Madam $100, looked around the room, and pointed to a stunningly attractive green-eyed blonde.

"I'd like her," he said.

"I'm sure you would, sir," said the Madam. Then she gestured to a 92-year old woman in the corner, "but Ethel here has 67 years seniority and according to union rules, she's next.'"
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 72
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/20/2011 1:54:13 PM
^^^ Pretty funny.
But actually closer to the truth is that it's another reason Republicans in particular, hate unions. They tend to use prostitutes more than anyone, and prostitute themselves for their pimps like the Kochs.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 73
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/23/2011 1:18:52 PM
Could this busting unions (especially teacher's) also have something to do with this?

Obama's Neoliberal Stance on Charter Schools
By Stuart Bramhall at Mar 21, 2011

Of the last five presidents, Obama has clearly been the staunchest ally of the school privatization movement. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. Our first black president has already clearly established his neoliberal credentials, in expanding Bush’s war on terror into Pakistan, Yemen and Libya and increasing his predecessor’s measly $700 billion in Wall Street bailouts to $12.5 trillion.

In addition to generous increases to charter school funding every year, the Obama administration also included a provision in the 2009 stimulus package forcing states to liberalize and/or expand their charter school programs or miss out in $100 billion in public school stimulus funding. Many states, which are already closing schools and laying off teachers, have a cap on charter school formation because they can’t afford further decreases in their public school budget. Many feel the failure of charter schools to improve achievement scores doesn’t justify establishing even more of them, given the additional cuts and sacrifices this would impose on public schools. Many, such as Ohio, have had serious problems (owing to lack of public oversight) with fraud and corruption in privately run charter schools. However, at present all states without legislation authorizing the formation of charter schools will have to pass it – and all those with funding caps will have to remove them – or miss out on badly needed stimulus funding.

Arne Duncan’s Record in Chicago

Obama’s appointment of Arne Duncan, former CEO of Chicago Public Schools to head the Dept of Education, suggests states will continue to be under enormous pressure to de-fund public schools – and that many more will close. While running Chicago schools, Duncan – in collaboration with Mayor Daley’s office and Chicago’s corporate elite – pursued an aggressive school privatization agenda. In 2004, this included an attempt to close 20 out of 22 schools in a low income minority neighborhood. The effort was clearly linked to the mayor’s and property developers efforts to “gentrify” the neighborhood – to force out minority residents and glam up their properties for re-sale to white upper middle class professionals. With all their neighborhood schools closing, low income residents would have no choice but to leave.

Fortunately militant protests by residents stopped the arbitrary school closures. However Duncan then preceded to implement a draconian decree under Bush’s No Child Left Behind Act ordering immediate closure (with no probationary period) of schools where students failed to pass standardized tests. Duncan also made it clear that these schools would immediately be turned over to private charter school operators funded by grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates and WalMart family foundation).
http://www.zcommunications.org/obamas-neoliberal-stance-on-charter-schools-by-stuart-bramhall
 Twilightslove
Msg: 74
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/24/2011 2:40:32 PM

Wisconsin lawmakers want to lift virtual charter cap
By Liz Goodwin liz Goodwin – 2 hrs 4 mins ago

Republican state senators in Wisconsin are proposing lifting a cap (currently around 5,000) on how many students can enroll in "virtual" charter schools, The Capital Times reports.

The move is controversial, because each Wisconsin student who attends a virtual charter school brings in about $7,000 of state public school money. If students attend schools that primarily serve kids within their district, the money stays close to home. But in cases where students choose charters that are not limited to district, their money is drained from local brick-and-mortar schools into the virtual versions, which are often run by for-profit companies.

On top of the financial strain that virtual charters put on local school systems, Connie Radtke, the head of the nonprofit Wisconsin E-School Network, told The Lookout in January that some for-profit virtual learning companies are not scrupulous about ensuring low teacher-student ratios in the courses.

"As soon as you get above a 30-to-1 student teacher ratio, they're not using as high quality a curriculum, they're not making opportunities for students to interact with another. We know they're cutting corners. We know there's at least one if not a couple of for-profit organizations that do operate in the state that have much higher student teacher-ratios. That's not something we endorse," Radtke said.

As of 2008, there were 185 virtual charter schools operating in 25 states.

The bill would also set up a state-wide board of political appointees that would approve charter schools, instead of letting local school districts decide whether they want to host--and help pay for--charter schools on a case-by-case basis.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott has endorsed a more comprehensive version of that plan, proposing that each child be given $5,500 per year in state funds to spend on a charter, private, public, or virtual school. Florida lawmakers, however, have proposed a more modest voucher program that has yet to pass.

(A Milwaukee art teacher protesting outside the Wisconsin state capitol: AP)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110324/us_yblog_thelookout/wisconsin-lawmakers-want-to-lift-virtual-charter-cap

Looks like the governor is really pushing to privatize education. Public teachers won't be necessary soon if this keeps up.
 oaklandish
Msg: 75
view profile
History
On Wisconsin.
Posted: 3/27/2011 5:46:18 PM
"I do believe some govt. union contracts are way too fat and protect incompetent workers,"

A previous poster said it very clearly...there are ways to get rid of incompetent workers but it takes work on the side of management...and they don't take responsibility to do it- they would rather blame the unions for protecting these workers. I work for a county social services agency and I am also a shop steward and a member of my union's executive board. I am constantly working with my members about being good and productive workers and I would say 95% are. There are very few in my agency who are bad workers....but the ones that are are the ones people always refer to when speaking of how workers are protected.

I have worked for my agency for 31 years and have a little less than 3 to go. I pay over $1000 a month into my retirement and social security. The folks who run my retirement association do a damn good job of investing- perhaps we should get them to care for our state budget. If I left now, with 31 years, I would not be able to pay my mortgage let alone my mortgage and food and utilities -and I don't have a huge mortgage either by California standards. I'll make it with social security so I will work for another few years. The right wing wants the focus on us instead of the big business and banks who pay no taxes as previous posters have so beautifully outlined. Our legislators don't get furlough days but state workers do- our legislators still get their car allowances and per diems and they haven't been cut- they also get to decide on their own salary raises!

But it is all the unions fault.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > On Wisconsin.