Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 116
Mom goes to court to have mentally challenged daughter sterilized.Page 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
My honest opinion? That girl MAY be mentally challenged, and I DO feel bad for her about that (she can't help it,after all....) but to me,she sounds like she's more than a little spoiled.. THE MOTHER of the girl is,in effect,raisng that girl's children! She's done her time,raised her own kids.........now,she gets to do it all over again! No,thank you. I LOVE KIDS,but I can see where her Mum is coming from!! IT"S NOT FAIR to the grandmother to be raising her own grandchildren!!And,obviously the young woman may not completely understand,"When we do this,THIS happens,"but I feel the gramma is completely in her right to ask for sterilization on her daughter's behalf.. There's SO many children already in this world who need love,kindness,and affection...and have NO ONE to offer it to them. Why subject MORE innocent children to that?? For the most part, I AM Pro-life........but I have to make an exception in this case.It would be doing all involved an enormous favor.........the girl would still have her children,but the mother could now rest easy,knowing she doesn't have that worry anymore......poor thing,she has enough on her plate NOW,wouldn't you say??
 matchlight
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Mom goes to court to have mentally challenged daughter sterilized.
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:01:17 PM
As far as I know, this 1927 Supreme Court decision, which held that a Virginia compulsory sterilization law was not unconstitutional, is still good law. Here is what Justice Holmes wrote in concluding:

"We have seen more than once that the public welfare may call upon the best citizens for their lives. It would be strange if it could not call upon those who already sap the strength of the State for these lesser sacrifices, often not felt to be such by those concerned, in order to prevent our being swamped with incompetence. It is better for all the world if, instead of waiting to execute degenerate offspring for crime or to let them starve for their imbecility, society can prevent those who are manifestly unfit from continuing their kind. The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. (citation). Three generations of imbeciles are enough."

Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200, 207 (1927)

I don't know what the law on this is in Canada or other countries.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/28/2011 7:38:59 PM

Three generations of imbeciles are enough."

So...it's ok to practice eugenics...as a method of birth control...removing the rights of a semi-retarded woman is better than allowing her to have an abortion....yep, I see the illogic in this now.
 trinity818
Msg: 128
Posted: 8/30/2011 12:09:55 PM

look no further than what's going on in North carolina right now. This is utterly disgusting

I agree. This is utterly disgusting. I don't understand why the state has not been sued over this. But bear in mind, what's going on now is not the sterilization. It is the "apologies". It's contemptible that there is so much debate over whether or not to compensate these people.

But this is not the same thing as the case cited in the OT. Although some of the people sterilized in NC were mentally challenged, the woman cited in the NC case was merely labeled "promiscuous and didn't get along well with others".

North Carolina was one of the few to expand its reach to women who were poor. Sterilization was seen as a way to limit the public cost of welfare. Social workers would coerce women to have the operation under threat of losing their public assistance

This doesn't seem like a fair comparison to the case in the OT.
 matchlight
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2011 8:33:46 PM
Anyone who wants to bring the Third Reich into this should read a little about the history of eugenics. It was writings of American progressives, starting in the late 1800's, which made eugenics such a popular movement. One of the places it took hold, in the early 1900's--and well before Hitler came on the scene--was Germany.

Later, after the Nazis had perverted eugenics into an excuse for mass murder, the movement fizzled out. Before that, though, it had been considered a progressive reform that would improve our society, like women's suffrage and prohibition of alcohol--even if it didn't inspire a constitutional amendment like they did.

Is someone suing for damages in North Carolina because they were involuntarily sterilized? If so, I wonder what they'd argue, since it was legal there at the time. Technically, I don't know what would prevent a state from making involuntary sterilization legal even today, but I think the chances any of them will try are nil.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >