Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > UNIONS UNDER ATTACK      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Imported_labor
Msg: 52
UNIONS UNDER ATTACKPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

The question now is:
Do Democrats understand their own institutions and their own strengths well enough to know that they ought to be defending them?

I am not a Democrat, so I can't tell you if they understand anything at all. At times it is clear to me that the Democrats aren't a united force working for the good of all American workers, especially those who don't have much protection from the exploitation at the hands of their employers. It seems to me that many Democrats buckle under pressure from the Republicans when it comes to helping the workers that toil for minimum wages and many others who need to work 60 or more hours a week in order to barely earn enough money to pay their bills.

I agree with most of what you are saying, even with some of the criticism that you lay at the foot of the Unions. I agree that many of those unions have become self-centered and have abandoned the principles that should inform their existence. Perhaps, now that they are being attacked because their numbers have diminished substantially, they will wake up to the reality that the strength of the union movement relies on having the great majority of the workers become part of the labor union brotherhood.

My only problem with the current events is that the attacks against the unions are coming from the far right side, and I don't believe for a second, if they are successful in dismantling the unions, that the lives of the workers, especially the lives of the workers that have never been protected by the strength of a union, will be any better. I have no doubt that the lives of American workers in general will be worse if the unions are destroyed.

I can't shake off my mind the idea that maybe the current union movement in America is paying for the sins of the founding fathers of American unionism when they relinquished the working class ideals and entered into selfish agreements with government officials and corporate bosses in the name of nationalism. While some sectors of the working class were allowed to prosper and have a middle-class existence, other segments of the working were abandoned to fend for themselves, and those who were making noise were repressed and eliminated.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 53
UNIONS UNDER ATTACK
Posted: 4/19/2011 6:43:51 PM
I can report one local effect of the union debate. When the Republican governor had his battle in Wisconsin, MSNBC was the only channel broadcast on the break room TV at work. True to form, MSNBC came out pro-Democrat and pro-union.

Our general manager saw the pro-union propaganda on the break room TV one night, and now we have mandatory Fox news on the TV set.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 54
view profile
History
UNIONS UNDER ATTACK
Posted: 4/29/2011 5:42:19 AM
Another thing to consider about the whole Union thing, is that killing off the unions will NOT do anything to solve the existing problem of shortfalls. The people who are working so hard to get rid of them are NOT helping the existing situation by doing so, they are just being petulant and vengeful. The horse left the barn over thirty years ago: even burning the barn DOWN wont help, but it WILL make certain that any future horses have a really BAD time.
Again, there is NO need to eliminate the rights of workers to have a say in working conditions. Even at the high point of union power, the folks in charge were NEVER forced by law or government force to accept a bad deal from them, they CHOSE to do so. In Wisconsin in particular, the unions had already agreed that the situation demanded the changes the other side wanted to make: that the GOP there went ahead with the destruction of the union had NOTHING to do with dealing with the problems, and everything to do with blind hatred of unions, due to their political affiliation NOT being GOP.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 55
UNIONS UNDER ATTACK
Posted: 4/29/2011 11:45:34 AM
I think it's safe to say that the Repulicans will possibly gain one or two seats in the WI state Senate after all the recall elections are over in my home state of Wisconsin. I signed the recall for State Senator Dave Hansen (D) and look forward to having him beat in the coming election.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > UNIONS UNDER ATTACK