Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is the purpose of YOUR life ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 24
view profile
History
What is the purpose of YOUR life ?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Seriously, despite my usual propensity to overthink just about anything, when it comes to "life," the day-to-day struggle just to deal with the basics of survival, and the obligations I acquired through my PREVIOUS struggles for survival, makes it pointless at best to concern myself about the ultimate "purpose" behind it all. Hence, I side with those who seek a humorous solution to the question.
P.S. I loved all the Python films I DID see, but got a very bad impression of "the meaning of life" (it seemed too negative), so I haven't seen it. Maybe someday.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 25
view profile
History
What is the purpose of YOUR life ?
Posted: 3/13/2011 4:20:10 AM
My plan is to either live forever, or die in the attempt.
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:29:49 AM
1. Actually I don't even like gravy. Help me with a better metaphor? (cake icing doesn't work either).

2. By loving and being loved in return, I was thinking of my family and friends more than romance but that works too.

2a. In line with what Igor wrote -- sometimes it has been all I felt I could do to just try to muddle through. Like if I couldn't be an active force for good in the world, I could try to at least not be a force for evil. I make remarks (IRL & POF) that have some definite bite to them, but it's usually my version of giving the tough love, rather than belittling so I can get a momentary hit of feeling Better Than.

p.s. Oh nooooo. Igor, "the meaning of life" is MP's best work IMO; if you gave it another look, you might not be sorry. I believe in fairly recent interviews they admitted "the meaning of life" started out as a joke working title until they came up with something better to bring cohesion to the skits they were working up.

CynthiaSM
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/13/2011 9:39:30 AM

1) Self discovery.
2) Self perfection.

+1

Everything else within my experience is either a means or a result of those 2 things, whether or not I comprehend the connection.
 sexyisback!
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:36:22 AM

1) Self discovery.
2) Self perfection.

part of my self-discovery was in finding out that 'perfect' is the enemy of 'good'..

wanting 'self=perfection' = never accepting anything as 'good enough' ..

. ..a self-perpetuating cycle of misery
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/13/2011 12:22:22 PM

part of my self-discovery was in finding out that 'perfect' is the enemy of 'good'..

Maybe in a very cramped idea of "self", "perfection", and "life"
 x_file
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/13/2011 6:36:37 PM

Weird discovery. Not to mention it is not self-discovery. If anything, it's more properly classified as intellectual discovery.

Perfect and good should be the same thing... at the very least have the same source.

That's a perverted notion.

Self perfection has more to do with removing blocks within oneself, than accepting any particular standard, or thing as good, or perfect. Hence, it is not about acquiring, but rather removing. It's not about accepting, but rejecting certain "lesser parts" within oneself. That which remains at the end, ought to be perfect - or more perfect than anything prior.

Perfection, as it is in the case of purifying metals, is about removing impurities.

If you remove the clouds, you might discover the sun always shines.

This will certainly sound cheesy, but no pain, no gain.

My experience is that when things are good, going well, people tend to go with the flow, ride the wave, enjoy the moment.

No one questions good things, good moments, good times. People tend to reflect (grow, learn, etc.) when experiencing misery.

The question "Why?" is more often asked in times of crisis, misery, misfortune, bad luck, lost, etc, than any other time.

Hence another cheesy saying: Man's extremity is God's opportunity.
 60to70
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/14/2011 12:13:58 AM
I think it was a Tom T. Hall song...
"old dogs and children
and watermelon wine."
And...an appreciation of what one
is never gonna understand.
Peace and strive to be kind.
 cookie22222
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 6:00:24 AM
I agree - the struggles of every day make conversations like this seem - well, silly. But there has to be more right? For me, I don't believe it needs to be huge. I look for a moment of joy in every day...and usually I can find many.

I define life as an adventure, a learning experience. I must be stupid, I've found myself learning the same lesson more than once...but that's ok. My purpose, I think, is to be there, to help others, to be their rock...that's always been part of who I am. One of the lessons that was hard for me to learn, was that I can be weak...I can lean on others, and accept their helping hand...someone told me once, give the people who love you the gift of letting them be there for you, for a change.

In the end, all we really have is each other.
 trinity818
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2011 11:59:03 AM
I'm thinking I must have been really bad in my previous life. And I was put here to suffer. One of those karma things.

I'm mostly kidding. I do find joy sometimes. My purpose is to evolve into a better person.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/15/2011 1:48:38 PM
maybe the meaning of life is that there is no meaning except what you want to make of it. is that possible? if i were a god, i probably wouldn't bother myself with the burdens of abstract meaning, but if i wanted somebody to do my personal dirty work i would make the most important of points that could be made about meaning. here are ten commandments pregnant with meaning, but gods just wanna have fun. destroy this, create that. blow it all up from time to time and start over, just for the hell of it. *boom*, see ya. tell me you wouldn't like to. plus, there is something to be said for the forces of evil. a day without evil is like a night without dark. otherwise you'd never even know you were good or that you at least wanted to make the token effort. "keeping up appearances."
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/15/2011 2:24:28 PM
What if other words were substituted for good v evil?
Like cruel v kind? Creative v destructive? Smart v dumb? Peaceful v fight-picking?

Don't you think there's plenny bad stuff running around to keep me clear on the concept without having to personally incorporate it into my purpose?

motown cowgirl
Msg: 36
What is the purpose of YOUR evil life ?
Posted: 3/15/2011 2:27:57 PM
i think a broad that has the balls to call herself "bridezilla" doesn't need any outside help to keep her clear on the concept of evil. now sit wherever ya want, but check the seat first.

vvv or merely a dirty dingo.
 Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/15/2011 2:32:42 PM
What did you put a muskrat in there AGAIN !!!!!???

that does remind me of another not purpose, but goal: to laugh stuff off when there's nothing i can doo about it
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/15/2011 8:36:35 PM
The purpose of life is to live long enough to procreate, make sure that your kids make it to an age to procreate . . . and so on.

Anything else is superfluous.
 colt8301
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/16/2011 3:31:59 AM

The purpose of life is to live long enough to procreate, make sure that your kids make it to an age to procreate . . . and so on.

Anything else is superfluous.

That's pretty much the gist of it, and if you reject that such as myself, your purpose is to be an "a#$hole".
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/16/2011 6:20:49 AM
oh no! all my bitches been spayed (or "spaded", as it is known in west virginia and the nether regions of the east coast). guess i'll have to take 'em out back and shoot 'em now, since they serve no purpose. oh well....
 slybandit
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/16/2011 8:14:49 AM
1. I'm just here to cause problems for the rest of you.
2. To maximize the number and quality of witticisms in an otherwise barren environment.
3. Making lists online and getting people to read them.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/16/2011 6:32:45 PM
I'm here because my parents decided that having unprotected sex was a good idea.

I can't really see a purpose to all the hoopla, I fulfilled my basic biological purpose by producing and raising another female, and now I stick around watching the world, of which the only function is to entertain me.

Snappy_Turtle
Msg: 43
What is the purpose of YOUR nasty little life
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:37:37 AM
I've seen the nature shows too y'all. Get born, survive (sometimes this means getting rid of competitors, such as younger siblings) reproduce, die.

But I'm the squid that screams out
"i want to break freeeeeeeeeeeeeee
i just gotta be meeeeeeeeeeeeee"

Why can't the little squid look for meaning if it makes her happy?
Or even the rutting seal?
Who are they hurting?

vvvv By "dance like your pants are on fire" -- I assume you refer to the "stop, drop, and roll"?

motown cowgirl
Msg: 44
When did you stop beating YOUR wife
Posted: 3/17/2011 5:52:34 AM
if you go out dancing, do you stop to ask what the purpose of it is? no, you just dance.... dance like your pants are on fire.... just because you can. mambo samba salsa tango. of course, finding a purpose in it might be your own personal idea of fun and/or higher order reason, i don't know. why do we even need to reproduce? we could have it so that we just divide asexually, like an amoeba. not much fun, but maybe the amoebas like it. nothing really wrong with finding a purpose, but if you want to find a purpose but you think that this material world is all there is to your experience, than "purpose" isn't terribly relevant. albert camus had fun with this. he eventually decided the only serious question that remains is whether or not to kill yourself, and then he drove off a cliff. i think that's hilarious.
 Kelso
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2011 2:42:30 AM

I cannot come up with anything more than this:
- I live to have a good time, and to make sure others have a good time, too

The “pursuit of happiness” is a very worthy and worthwhile endeavour Op (and there's only one constitution in the world, I've been told, with that line written into it). But remember that the “pursuit of happiness” is different than “being happy.” There can, and almost always is, great joy and satisfaction and fulfillment in “the pursuit” of any worthy ideal. Viewing the world from the top of Mount Everest (for instance) is very enjoyable, according to the climbers that have achieved that. But their greatest fulfillment (happiness) came from the many great struggles that preceded that prize, not in achieving the prize itself.

Sounds rather shallow.

No, Op, it is not shallow. Never view yourself as being unworthy of happiness. We feel that way (that our being happy is somehow “shallow”) because of a misplaced sense of guilt (a terrible negative emotion). You have every right to both “be” happy, and to “pursue” your happiness. Others' unhappiness is their own, you didn't choose it for them.

One of the most important books that I read as a young man was Victor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning. In it, Dr Frankl talks about the importance of finding meaning and purpose in one's life. So, upon reflection, I decided that my purpose in life was simply to live a “happy and successful life.” This worked well for me until I went through some extremely difficult years financially, as many of us have. I discovered that “being happy” and “being successful” were not two separate entities for me, but in fact were one in the same. I learned that if I wasn't successful, than I simply wasn't happy. I, like many others of my gender, equated my success in the business world with how much happiness I was worthy of.

So I reconsidered what my purpose in life was really meant to be. Ask yourself, “Who in this world are the truly happy people?” Is it the wealthy? Often, yes, but not necessarily so. There are both unhappy wealthy people, and very happy poor people. Is it the best looking amongst us? Again, that helps, but we know there often isn't a direct correlation there either. I finally came to the realization, with the help of many mentors, that the happy in our world are those that “serve,” i.e., the people that “serve other human beings.” Mother Theresa is an example. Dr. Albert Schweitzer is an example. St Francis of Assisi may be another example. These were the great “lovers” of their time – they showed their love through their service to others. Their lives were by no means “easy,” but then they knew that “life is in the struggle.”

So back to your question Op: What is “my” purpose in life? It is, simply “to serve.” I view my business life as an opportunity “to serve,” and I view my volunteer work as another wonderful opportunity “to serve.” And wouldn't you know it, as I went forward in life with that attitude, both my financial success and my happiness (and my friendships) have increased immeasurably.

Having said all that, I long ago memorized a quotation by Brian Tracy which goes:

“The purpose of life is to develop loving relationships, for when all is said and done, it will be the quantity and quality of friendships we've made, through time, that will determine how well we have lived.”

In other words Op: He who dies with the most friends wins.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/20/2011 10:08:23 AM
Well ...

Now my purpose is to get this room painted so I can have a renter move in.

So I better get my ass off this forum and get to work.

later ...

Yuk, I hate painting!
 x_file
Msg: 47
When did you stop beating YOUR wife
Posted: 3/21/2011 10:04:28 AM

^^^^^^
Reminds me of this by Allan Watts:

Here is the actual clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERbvKrH-GC4
 DameWrite
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2011 12:26:17 AM
"YOUR" life? I don't believe in YOUR life. So, my best GUESS is...
My life might have no purpose that I get to be aware of, except to be here, mucking about with the rest of you, within this (membrane? atmosphere?)
Maybe I'll ask the parasites and viruses that live in me what is their purpose, they seem pretty smart. Or the DNA that makes up me?
If I get an answer, I'll get back to you. In the meantime, I'm going to sleep, to dream, and possibly live another day. Hopefully content.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What is the purpose of YOUR life ?