Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > care for old dogs and preparing for "the day"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yin4yang43
Msg: 40
care for old dogs and preparing for the dayPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I agree with viper! "Euthanasia" is a selfless act of kindness we owe to our friends, when suffering has taken away their quality of life. It's not about us and how we feel and how much it costs..... it's about not taking the easy way out!
( Some animals, like people, get to drift away without pain and peacefully...... those are the lucky ones.)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
care for old dogs and preparing for the day
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:19:27 AM
Bumped for advise. Hope Mo and others are around that are always helpful.

My old foster dog is still hanging in there fairly well with MSM, salmon oil for her pain and still walking and getting up/down steps,just slower. Has control of bladder and other functions .Also a corn/ wheat/meat free diet. As far as mobility, doing great for 14 but has had a few skin issues, itching and then loosing hair in patches since (prescribed by a vet) weekly shampoo-ing. Shampoo sold by the vet with their brand. Not normal IMO.Thats to many baths.
The bather actually noticed the hair falling out before i did and at every bath it got worse.

So basically
Her hair started falling out in patches soon after the frequent bathing ( never has done this before, never bathed her more than 3 times a year in a soapy medicated shampoo)so could be the shampoo, could be the washing it self or those heated dryers, maybe all 3.Also could be not enough air to her back wearing a new fleece coat she received for Christmas . I switched to light cotton t shirts yesterday
The vet always gives her a steroid and antibiotics even though no formal indication of an infection is present.A broad spectrum antibiotic and an anti fungal which they did not test for fungus or bacteria.

Im very wary of a 21 day dose of 2 antibiotics, esp the anti fungal which you need to diagnose using a microscope/skin scraping.The list of side effects and indications for use when reading about it are extremely dangerous for the kidneys and liver.

This morning I decided to try something I had heard of but hadn't tried. Rub her down on those areas on her back with diluted organic apple cider vinegar. The scratching ceased after the rub down and all the dead skin came off that had accumulated in the areas.

Im giving the vinegar 4 days of treating, not using the anti fungal right pill now and will decide after 2 weeks if to continue the broad spectrum antibiotic.21 days seems excessive when they are just throwing * sh1t* out there hoping one will work .They admitted they are not dermatologist or allergist.She does have a bit of crackle noise in her lungs so if she has some infection there the antibiotic could help that.

If I had to describe how it looks, cradle cap would come to mind first.Not a hot spot, possibly yeast but I think coconut oil in the diet or topically would help that.It has in the past.

If anyone has had skin issues treated with natural products I would like to hear about them. I really think the major factor in getting worse/losing hair has been the over bathing/related to over bathing/ hot air drying and the fleece coat making winter skin worse, but cant possibly know for sure.

Other than wanting to scratch/hair loss she still seems happy most of the time and isn't acting like in pain.

IF the vinegar helps Ill update the progress, if not I'm going to try organic aloe to keep the areas clean before bathing again..I think I need to see hair come back first, but am open to listening to others who have been through it and had good results.Please feel free to share what you know thats non toxic to organs.
Thanks guys
 8inscrew
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/17/2015 3:20:23 PM
I have a white bully, and she scratched herself raw when I first got her.
Not sure where, but I heard using yogurt helps.
And it did...

Everyone I have told about this thought you rub it on... lol.
Just a cup a few times a week works wonders. (in the feed dish)
 lifeisgrand5
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2015 2:24:34 AM
My older dog is 11. It breaks my heart to watch her age. She has slow thyroid, arthritis, large fatty tumors, her eyes are glazed over. I giver her grain free kibble. I also give her 1000 milligrams of gluclosome, and a pinch of turmeric ,and a tsp. of coconut oil, so far so good. I take her for long walks and she does really well. Miss Mimi lives for her volunteer work, her tail wags and she smiles the entire time we are working. She is my entire life and don't know what I will do when her time comes. I did rescue a puppy mill standard poodle 3 months ago so I have another dog as well as Miss Mimi.

Good luck to you with your aging dog. I understand your worry and concern I am right there with you. Each and every day at this point is a gift. I feel that my fur babies are 4 legged angels. My dogs are my reason to keep moving forward.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/18/2015 6:36:21 AM
Sorry to read that Pank :(
Pet - is she licking her paws? Often a sign of an allergy and you should check her ears
Also stop giving her food in metal, use glass bowls
Add a teaspoon of white vinegar to her drinking water
For our old Chow we ended up giving him a daily dose of childrens benadryl.

My Zoe ( boxer) had health issues, I called her my 6 million dollar dog :/
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2015 2:13:29 AM
Enzymes work with me and inflammation so Ill check that out pank. So sorry to hear about your loss and I know quality of life is the most important thing, but she still is moving and doing so well regarding pain. We both know next week it could be a different story
ouji I am doing the benadryl too, got some good ideas that make sense.

Yes licking paws, and we have had horribly wet grass/ground to the point of a mold look in areas in the grass for weeks that wont dry.
Im drying her paws after walks now and putting tea tea oil and or coconut oil in between the toes

I was wondering about the vinegar in her water as it really makes her skin (topically) feel good.
She doesnt have metal bowls but licks her crate door.( metal).so I need to cover it I guess.

I got her in the sun yesterday( no fleece coat)Its been a long time since her back has had good sun.
Im hoping that will help too

Thanks to everyone that posted and those that e mailed me with ideas to try.
I'm encouraged with the progress I have seen so .
Pepps
 bamagrl68
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/27/2015 8:02:13 PM
FyrKrakn- When a pet is suffering like you are describing, it's time to let them go.
It's never easy, I have loved all of my dogs, but I would put it to sleep.
It's not the cruel choice, it's the humane one.
 Dee4166
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2015 4:12:56 AM
Here's a topical mixture that might give her/him some relief...
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup. green tea (liquid)
1 cup distilled water

A few folks I know have used this from hot spots, allergies, etc, to mosquito bites....works like a charm if she's having a particularly bad day....

As far as letting a beloved pet go...well, when I worked as a vet assistant many years ago, I would often see people bringing in animals that really should have been put down LONG before they brought them in....it was awful and the vet explained to me that it was people who became used to the animal's condition gradually and didn't realize how bad they had become....

I don't know, for myself, it's always been obvious, cat with kidney failure who was 18, dog with bloat, etc. so I never had that problem....

I think that if you truly love your pet and are attentive to them, then you know when it's the right time....
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2015 3:16:40 AM
^^^^^^Thank you DEE

She has loads of puppy energy and fun still if she is on the right foods and supplements.

Her skin is much better and vinegar does help.
Ill add the tea next time I mix a bottle.
 Dee4166
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2015 1:01:04 PM
You're welcome PP...
Enjoy her for as long as you can and as long as her quality of Life has the good outweighing the bad...
I hope that you make some wonderful memories together..... :-)
 Viper1j
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/28/2015 7:17:44 AM
I lost Princess at 20 1/2. I feel your pain.

All you can do , is be there when the time comes.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > care for old dogs and preparing for "the day"