Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 326
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?Page 14 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
It does seem as if many poll results sided with democratic issues yesterday....Ohio seemd to be a bellweather state...and Kentucky....Mississippi stuck down personhood bigtime...
 trinity818
Msg: 327
view profile
History
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?
Posted: 11/9/2011 4:38:46 PM

I don't feel that the President is corrupt even though he just sidelined a tax on Christmas trees he was going to enact in order to pay for a new board tasked with promoting the Christmas tree industry (another attempt as stimulating jobs)

LOL. Seriously? Now we're promoting the Christmas tree industry?

Thanks for making me chuckle, Monster.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 328
Posted: 11/9/2011 5:08:08 PM
*cough* Solyndra *cough*

Seriously, Cmonster? You wanna compare that to Bush's "Faith based initiatives"? Start ups FAIL. Experimental and forward leaning technologies often FAIL.

Obama has lots of stuff to be mad at him about, but Solyndra ain't one of them.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 329
Posted: 11/9/2011 7:01:14 PM
Gawd....other than "Not" Romney all the other GOP hopeful's seem to be imploding...Cain's a sex hound who won't take no for an answer....Bachmann's is bringing back $2/gal gas and millions of jobs...Perry can't string a sentence together...Paul-who's he..a Kucnich look-a-like...Palin...ahahahahahaha
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 330
Posted: 11/9/2011 8:05:48 PM

Every last one of his opponents are unworthy of his seat huh?

That's about the size of it.

Oh, and BTW, Palins not even a candidate

I know...but, like your opinions ...she's soooomuch fun to poke fun at...she's bizzare.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 331
Posted: 11/9/2011 8:38:50 PM
They sure seem determined to lose the next election don't they?

It's been a series of revolving candidates who are "Not Romney." I even saw speculation that the hardliners were starting to consider Huntsman - as long as he abandoned all common sense and his principles and supported stupid things.

But even Romney, the one guy who seemed to realize winning the nomination was only the first step, has succumbed to the demands of the extremists - and pretty much doomed any chance he had. He embraced Paul Ryan's plans to eliminate Social Security - so Florida is now going for Obama in 2012. And a significant block in all the swing states will vote for Obama.

Meanwhile, GOP Governors are messing it up for the Republican candidate in other important states. Both sides need Ohio - yesterday over 2/3's of the voters voted down their Governor's anti-labour measures. Wisconsin's Governor is convincing everyone there that Republicans can't be trusted no matter what they say before they get power.

Jeez. Obama should be a one termer. The economy hasn't pulled up and now Italy is messing up the world's economies. Things are going to be in the crapper for the next few years. Everybody knows it. This is when voters change horses. The Republicans have to have a horse though - not a whore.
 CMonster
Msg: 332
Posted: 11/9/2011 9:22:34 PM

Yeah, the Grinch was the 1% messing it up for everyone else. Only in American politics...

Seriously, Cmonster? You wanna compare that to Bush's "Faith based initiatives"? Start ups FAIL. Experimental and forward leaning technologies often FAIL.

Solyndra was already plummeting out of control before they were promised the loan. After they received their $500+ million, they barely had enough time to hand out their executive bonuses before filing for bankruptcy.

Gawd....other than "Not" Romney all the other GOP hopeful's seem to be imploding...Cain's a sex hound who won't take no for an answer....Bachmann's is bringing back $2/gal gas and millions of jobs...Perry can't string a sentence together...Paul-who's he..a Kucnich look-a-like...Palin...ahahahahahaha

Here's a new one for ya...
Rick Perry fails to remember what agency he'd get rid of in GOP debate
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57321982-503544/rick-perry-fails-to-remember-what-agency-hed-get-rid-of-in-gop-debate/

They sure seem determined to lose the next election don't they?

Yeah, but they'll probably screw that up too.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 333
Posted: 11/10/2011 8:17:23 AM

I don't feel that the President is corrupt even though he just sidelined a tax on Christmas trees he was going to enact in order to pay for a new board tasked with promoting the Christmas tree industry (another attempt as stimulating jobs)

Thanks for making me chuckle, Monster.

Of course it helps that that story is a lie. More lies! Hysterical! To wit:

Tree Farmers Blast ‘Sinister’ ‘Smear’ Of ‘Obama’s Christmas Tree Tax’

No, America, President Obama didn’t impose a 15-cent tax on Christmas trees because he “Hates Christians,” or because he’s keen to launch another front in the War on Christmas. Christmas tree growers had the plan all along.

Remember those “Got Milk?” and “Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner” ads? Well, Christmas tree farmers and retailers thought those are pretty nifty. Plus, with more and more people buying artificial trees instead of the natural ones, they wanted to protect their brand. So three years ago — before Obama took office — a group of them started studying the pluses and minuses of starting a so-called “checkoff promotion and research program” of their very own.

“It has absolutely nothing to do with Obama, it’s not a tax,” National Christmas Tree Association spokesman Rick Dungey told TPM. “I’m slowly but surely narrowing down who the culprits are who put out that sinister little statement for whatever reasons there were.”

“Growers have been working on this for three and a half years,” Dungey added. “It’s just sort of interesting timing, and unfortunately somebody decided to smear it. It’s growers pooling their money to promote the crop that they grow on their farms.”

According to a statement issued by the group, there are at least 18 programs already in effect for other agricultural commodities under the Commodity Promotion, Research and Information Act of 1996.

“This program was requested by the industry in 2009 and has gone through two industrywide comment periods during which 565 comments were submitted from interested parties,” the National Christmas Tree Association said in a statement, adding that nearly 90 percent of the state and multi-state associations who commented on the program supported it.

“The program is designed to benefit the industry and will be funded by the growers at a rate of 15 cents per tree sold,” the release states. “The program is not expected to have any impact on the final price consumers pay for their Christmas tree.”

But some conservatives aren’t letting the facts get in the way of an awesome headline.

“Just because the Obama Administration has the legal power to impose its Christmas Tree Tax doesn’t mean it should do so,” argues former Bush administration official David Addington. “The economy is barely growing and nine percent of the American people have no jobs. Is a new tax on Christmas trees the best President Obama can do?”
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/11/tree_farmers_blast_sinister_smear_of_obamas_christmas_tree_tax.php

You get it? The Tree industry imposed this ON THEMSELVES. Oh damn you, impertinant facts! How dare you screw up a perfectly good lie?
Honestly people.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 334
Posted: 11/10/2011 8:30:42 AM
While I'm not a fan of President Obama, I'm not about to throw him under the bus either, It doesn't matter who gets into the white house , they aint doing shit, pardon my french.

You have a system that strictly doesn't work, most of congress has no friggen clue how to fix things, they know how to spend money, other people's money, you want to tax this, tax that, war this , war that, deficit spending, create jobs ( which is not their job), tax loopholes, 1% this, 99% that.

They preach freedom and choice but most Americans are struggling, and most of them places blinding faith in politicians to lead them to the promise land, like sheep in a slaughter house, are you noticing more and more people in Asia, India and the other B.R.I.C countries are producing more and more millionaires ?

Yeah Americans lost the Manufacturing war to Asia and India but you have technology and other things you can do and create , look at the next generation of young people on the fore front of technology, its time to face facts its either time to change or the world will change and leave you behind, the other B.R.I.C countries are figuring it out why cant some folks in North America figure it out, and Im including citizens in my country too.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 335
Posted: 11/10/2011 9:22:07 AM
Ice, our nat'l problems can all be traced back to one simple fact. Large or small, our "representatives", no longer represent us. They are, mostly, bought and paid for by special interest groups, lobbyists and big money, both personal and corporate. In short, our elected officials have all been bribed, the system is corrupt, top to bottom.

Until we can get the money out of politics, we have no hope of reform. To do that, we would need very public arrests and trials for said corruption, both of the politicians and the financiers. This includes BOTH parties. It's funny, but the nation once fought a war over "taxation without representation". Pretty much what OWS is doing today.

Without that reform, all we're changing is the faces of the overlords.
 imalwayssmiling
Msg: 336
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2011 9:20:02 AM
As long as we have lobbyists buying the politician,Koch brothers,evil types like Rove or a Norquist that force a whole party to vote for no taxes under any circumstance,or no more days of old where 51 % of a vote won or 51 out of a 100 people won,or the continued use of filibusters,then no ,it hardly matters whom is president unless they are outwardly exposing themselves as solely for the minority not the majority,as with the republicans running an entire campaign solely for the top 3% of the population all paid for by the small working guys,those types we can run out,but for the rest,until the other stuff is removed from the equation then no,we will see little that happens.People say hey how about flat tax Cain,how about legalize drugs Paul,no then they would be dead in the water presidents,yes,they can win,but no,you will see everything filibustered,....well in other words a repeat of Obama,stall the whole 4 years so the president you don't like is not re elected.Those that stall a country should have to leave their office and let someone in that will act,yes I'm talking to you Boehnor and Cantor.Now a days unless you are like a preferably white southern bible belt,anti abortion,anti rights christian then you are against the norm and you will be filibustered .You pretty much have to have a problem with gays and Latinos and Muslims or you will not fit into a republican world and alot of the tea party world and a smaller portion of the democrat world.Its play ball or they will stall you out as with Obama.Even though he now has a long list of achievements and staved off the next great depression,as the economists have verified he did,we have now heard from like 5-6 past presidents economists verify that fact.9% unemployment is nothing compared to the 20 % it would have been.Todays modern politics is about receiving less than wanted versus receiving nothing at all.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 337
Posted: 11/12/2011 9:23:43 AM

Ice, our nat'l problems can all be traced back to one simple fact. Large or small, our "representatives", no longer represent us. They are, mostly, bought and paid for by special interest groups, lobbyists and big money, both personal and corporate. In short, our elected officials have all been bribed, the system is corrupt, top to bottom.
No arguments from me here on that one Bladesmith, none at all.

Until we can get the money out of politics, we have no hope of reform. To do that, we would need very public arrests and trials for said corruption, both of the politicians and the financiers. This includes BOTH parties. It's funny, but the nation once fought a war over "taxation without representation". Pretty much what OWS is doing today
again no argument from me there, except I would add that these protesters should march on Capital hill, that would truly be a revolution and platform of change millions and millions of folks parked in front of the White house and congress.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 338
Posted: 11/12/2011 10:30:52 AM
Ice, a revolution starts one step at a time. Wall St is where the money comes from that corrupts our process, and where our money was given to con men, frauds and thieves. It's fair that it begins there, and swells outward. DC is the ulitmate goal. As a Tsunami sweeps up everything in it's path, so will OWS, I hope. American politics are hopelessly corrupt. This may well be our last chance to reform the system peaceably, before going all French Revolution.
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 339
Posted: 11/14/2011 5:57:16 PM
Sorry CMonster... TARP was signed into law by Bush on October 3, 2008...

At the end of the day, if the buck stops at the President and the President has to be held prinicipally accountable for the results, then Bush and the GOP need to assume the lion share of responsibility for TARP.

Those GOP supporters who want to claim that TARP was pushed through by and is therefore the responsibility of a a democratic congress will therefore have to relieve Obama of the principal responsibility of anything else in the economy... and that will never happen.

Sorry... you can't have it both ways.

I've been waiting for only one time that the GOP will take responsibility for ANYTHING that has gone wrong in the last 40 years... never happens... it's always someone else's fault.
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 340
Posted: 11/14/2011 6:08:18 PM
"It's sad to watch really. "

It's actually sad to believe that after 43 years of principally republican leadership which brought us to the brink of a repeat of the great depression in 2008... there are still a large group of people that want that party and that philosophy back in power... and i have no doubt that, if they were to ever regain power and things didn't work out their way... the GOP would blame everyone else and take absolutely no responsibility whatsoever.
 CMonster
Msg: 341
Posted: 11/14/2011 6:15:27 PM

Sorry CMonster... TARP was signed into law by Bush on October 3, 2008...

I could have sworn I said this twice previous to this post.

I think this was discussed earlier, but "yes," it was initiated and passed by the Bush administration with the urging of then President Elect Obama to Congress not to block it.

And I also posted this article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2008/1107/obama-urges-bush-congress-to-pass-a-stimulus-package

Sorry... you can't have it both ways.

It only seems like two ways when someone doesn't have all of the information. The fact is that it didn't work. Pretending that it did while watching what is happening now is what I would expect from a politician.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 342
Posted: 11/15/2011 7:26:07 AM

The fact is that it didn't work. Pretending that it did while watching what is happening now is what I would expect from a politician.

We know that it didn't work, but we also know that money was made available to the banks and corporations to help in turning the situation around. So, if government can't create private sector jobs, as you say, why do you keep on harping against the government, which did what they thought that it was necessary: to help the banks to stay in the business of making money available to private businesses. If the banks sat on the money, is that the fault of the government?

If people weren't buying cars, was it wrong to give people incentives to buy? Would you have preferred the whole automobile industry go down?

Let's be honest. You will never recognize those things that the Obama administration has done to help avoid another depression, unless it is one of the Republican favored solutions. The problem is that the Republican solutions don't work either because their intent is to destroy the federal government if they can't have it under their control. You probably remember the Reagan and Bush promises when they were presidential candidates to shrink the federal government, only to make it bigger after they took office. You also may remember that Clinton put Gore in charge of making cuts in the federal government, and my recollection is that they did some cutting.
 timetogo3223
Msg: 343
Posted: 11/15/2011 7:56:04 AM
imported...

Let's be honest. You will never recognize those things that the Obama administration has done to help avoid another depression

Who said it's been avoided?
 Imported_labor
Msg: 344
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:20:41 AM

Let's be honest. You will never recognize those things that the Obama administration has done to help avoid another depression

Who said it's been avoided?

Who says it hasn't?
 CMonster
Msg: 345
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:17:42 PM
If the banks sat on the money, is that the fault of the government?

Absolutely, because there were no guidelines given for its use.

If people weren't buying cars, was it wrong to give people incentives to buy?

Why weren't people buying new cars? Because they couldn't afford it. Did the stimulus make them afford the "purchase cost" of a new car or did it allow them to afford just the down payment? It basically allowed people to go into more debt.

Would you have preferred the whole automobile industry go down?

The entire industry wouldn't fail, just the mismanaged companies. Guess what would happen to them? They would be purchased by more solvent companies. For example, Ford once owned Jaguar and Volvo.

You will never recognize those things that the Obama administration has done to help avoid another depression, unless it is one of the Republican favored solutions.

Only if I saw things as simply "black and white," That would assume that the solution was too simplistic, like robbing Peter to save Paul. That's the mentality which created this financial fiasco in the first place.

The problem is that the Republican solutions don't work either because their intent is to destroy the federal government if they can't have it under their control.

Control in that the people's funds would stop being spent on things like promising loans to companies which are so badly run that there is no way to stop them from going bankrupt.

You probably remember the Reagan and Bush promises when they were presidential candidates to shrink the federal government, only to make it bigger after they took office.

Tons of hiring to mismanaged agencies such as the Postal Service.

You also may remember that Clinton put Gore in charge of making cuts in the federal government, and my recollection is that they did some cutting.

Which raises the question as to why there is so much animosity against the portion of the GOP that wants to decrease the size of Government.
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 346
Posted: 11/16/2011 12:34:54 PM
On October 3, 2008, when the bill was signed... Obama was NOT president-elect.

the election took place in November...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 347
Posted: 11/16/2011 12:44:10 PM

I think this was discussed earlier, but "yes," it was initiated and passed by the Bush administration with the urging of then President Elect Obama to Congress not to block it.

And I also posted this article:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2008/1107/obama-urges-bush-congress-to-pass-a-stimulus-package

BUT the TARP was passed into law on 10/3/2008...AND this:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2008/1107/obama-urges-bush-congress-to-pass-a-stimulus-package....thas nothing to do with TARP
 CMonster
Msg: 348
Posted: 11/16/2011 3:07:48 PM

On October 3, 2008, when the bill was signed... Obama was NOT president-elect.

the election took place in November...

BUT the TARP was passed into law on 10/3/2008...AND this:
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2008/1107/obama-urges-bush-congress-to-pass-a-stimulus-package....thas nothing to do with TARP

My mistake, you guys are right. You need a scorecard to keep track of the money mismanagement of the Feds. The term "Clunkers" can easily be used for several entities receiving handouts.
 VGLGuySksFun
Msg: 349
Posted: 11/21/2011 6:08:37 AM
TARP actually generated a profit for the U.S... and while i don't agree with TARP for the banking industry... i can understand bailing out GM for national security...
 timetogo3223
Msg: 350
Posted: 11/21/2011 7:50:05 AM
vqlguy....

TARP actually generated a profit for the U.S... and while i don't agree with TARP for the banking industry... i can understand bailing out GM for national security.

Totally with you on the banks. Who needs those for national security? We can get our enemies to buy Victory Bonds. I can see the pitch right now to the Chinese: "Be Your Enemies Best Friend. Support Our War Against You. Good interest paid".

GM, Banks, Wall Street firms should have all been allowed to crash and burn.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?