Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Imported_labor
Msg: 26
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?Page 2 of 22    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)

I didn't know that Obama had "invaded" Libya. I know that the president ordered some strategic bombing of Libyan facilities in order to implement the no-fly zone authorized by the United Nations, but I haven't heard of any American military divisions landing on Libyan territory to invade that country.

You are arguing semantics

Believe it or not, the meaning of words is important when discussing certain topics, otherwise we end up just talking bullsh.t, like the post I was responding to. Thanks to other posters I don't think that I have to waist anybody else's time responding to nonsensical rants.

And last time I checked, it was confirmed by all interest parties that ground forces will follow the US Air Strikes in Libya and occuppy it to protect the people of Libya.

Like I said before, please share your sources of information. Otherwise I will just continue to believe that you are just talking bulsh.t.

Imagine that I accept your definition of limited bombing as "invasion" and
"occupation," then you would have to accept that we need to add another failure to the Reagan's list of bungled adventures. If I remember correctly, Reagan ordered the bombing against Gaddafy in the 80's, and the guy it is still standing. Maybe Obama will do a better job in getting rid of him!
 .dej
Msg: 27
view profile
History
If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?
Posted: 3/27/2011 3:15:53 PM
I haven't heard anywhere that there are plans for occupation forces to move into Libya. Also, the UN mandate authorizing the no-fly zone specifically bans occupation forces.

Maybe Obama will do a better job in getting rid of him!

The Libyans are getting rid of him. NATO is just tilting the playing field back towards the middle so they have a chance.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/27/2011 3:39:19 PM
^^^^^^ Thank you!

It is good to read something that reveals current and valid information.

I agree that the Libyan people is the force that needs to get rid of Gaddafy. Hopefully by doing so they will appreciate how important is to live in freedom and will institute a democratic government.
 flyguy51
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/27/2011 9:55:38 PM
I'd vote for Obama again. I didn't expect him to be a transformational president; I just expected him to be better than the previous president and the McCain/Palin combo. It took me a long time (emmbarrassingly so) to admit to myself that Gore would have been a better POTUS than Bush. However, I have not had the same sense about McCain-- I definitely agree with Igor's stance on that candidacy. Also, this time for any president has been a real shiite sandwich to chow down on. As for unfulfilled promises, show me any prez who can stand under the scrutiny of his own campaign claims-- especially after the first 2 years.

This could become a very heated topic, let's try to keep it on topic as it can be very interesting with such a broad topic.

Ironic when one considers who started the "new direction" for this thread.
 .dej
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 3/28/2011 10:42:41 AM

Hopefully by doing so they will appreciate how important is to live in freedom and will institute a democratic government.

I really think this is key. The situation in Libya very well may evolve into another hostile government towards the United States, but the only alternative is just putting that off until the next violent overthrow. The Libyan people should be the ones deciding their government, and they're not going to appreciate anything they didn't have to work for. They're going to resent anything another country puts in place for them. If we haven't learned that lesson in the last 50 years, we never will.
 CMonster
Msg: 31
Posted: 3/29/2011 12:40:11 PM

I didn't expect him to be a transformational president; I just expected him to be better than the previous president and the McCain/Palin combo.

No offense meant but isn't it also ironic that the President's platform was predominantly focused on change yet people voted for him while not expecting him do be very transformational?

And for the record, I wasn't impressed with the McCain/Palin duo either.
 .dej
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/31/2011 8:04:18 AM

A change from Bush/McCain/Palin is transformational.

What changes are there from McCain or Palin?
 CountIbli
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/31/2011 10:03:32 AM
I didn't vote for Obama and never will.

But hey, he's just a another politician and he said what he had to in order to get into office. "Yes we can?" Someone should have asked "How?"

I think this really gets to the heart of the problem in presidential politics. Candidates make promises (or present their vision if one wants to be charitable) that they don't have the ability or legal authority to implement. Though they are running for President they campaign is if they are going to be legislators. And the media goes along with it, especially in their debates. We should be demanding to know what kind of people the candidates would appoint, what their approaches to the veto are, and what they plan to do with the military.

Candidate Obama made two promises that I supported and that he has the power to implement. He's failed on both counts. He promised that the first thing he would do as President is bring the troops home. Not only has he not done this but he's now committed an act of war against Libya. He only said he would close GITMO and hasn't done it.
 CMonster
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/3/2011 2:39:16 PM

Candidate Obama made two promises that I supported and that he has the power to implement. He's failed on both counts. He promised that the first thing he would do as President is bring the troops home. Not only has he not done this but he's now committed an act of war against Libya. He only said he would close GITMO and hasn't done it.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I sincerely respect the President as a person for wanting to do these things. However, in stating that if elected, he would do these things it really worried me.

Even though I wasn't going to vote for him, I was all but certain that he was going to be elected. Winning is based on a popularity contest so why wouldn't he win, right? But what worried me is that I felt that he had grown into a veteran politician and understood how the system works. So why in the h3ll would he confidently make such promises which he had no way of enacting within his first term given the way that the system works?

Here's something we should consider asking ourselves: In comparison which is truly more difficult, an average person in a job interview attempting to convince the interviewer that they are the best for a particular job OR a politician attempting to convince their constituents that they should be elected? Really; think about that.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/4/2011 12:25:07 PM
We can't vote for him today, but for sure we will be able to vote for president Obama again in 2012.

Obama kicks off 2012 re-election campaign

WASHINGTON | Mon Apr 4, 2011 6:13am EDT

(Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Monday opened his 2012 re-election campaign with a website announcement and e-mails and text messages to supporters.

"This campaign is just kicking off," a short announcement said on www.barackobama.com . "We're opening up offices, unpacking boxes and starting a conversation with supporters like you to help shape our path to victory. 2012 begins now..."

The two-minute, 10-second video on the site featured supporters from around the country discussing their support for the Democratic president.

Political observers expect the Obama campaign to raise an unprecedented $1 billion for the race.

Read more: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/04/us-usa-electi...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4799753
 CountIbli
Msg: 36
Posted: 4/4/2011 6:29:17 PM

We can't vote for him today, but for sure we will be able to vote for president Obama again in 2012.

His campaign slogan is going to be Winning, duh!.

The big question is which Republican is going to beat him. I'm hoping it's going to be Gary Johnson but I fear it's going to be Mitt Romney.
 wisguyingb
Msg: 37
Posted: 4/5/2011 3:54:56 AM
^^Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty for Pres and Vice Pres..... That's scary.
 trinity818
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2011 4:49:43 AM
^^^
Better than Palin or Gingrich.
 .dej
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2011 12:32:15 PM
I think Romney is damn near as insane as Palin.
 Imported_labor
Msg: 40
Posted: 4/5/2011 1:08:51 PM

I think Romney is damn near as insane as Palin

They may both be very insane; maybe one is more insane than the other, but their biggest problem is that they need to pander to the insane groups of the extremist right wing sects and groups of nuts that populate the Republican Party. You would think that stating that being anti-Obama would be enough for all of them, but as we may see in the Republican primaries, all the contenders will be eviscerating each other trying to prove to the militants of the right wing faith, and that he/she (pick a Republican hopeful here) is the only one deserving their support.
 CMonster
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/5/2011 11:07:21 PM

^^Mitt Romney and Tim Pawlenty for Pres and Vice Pres..... That's scary.

Out of curiosity, what seems scary about Pawlenty?
 CountIbli
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/5/2011 11:28:14 PM

Out of curiosity, what seems scary about Pawlenty?

He's a member of the Religious Reich. While claiming to be for limited government he's quick to throw that aside whenever religion is involved. He's also a big proponent of ethanol, which causes ozone pollution and damages engines. Because ethanol is made from corn it drives up the price of corn and corn products. It's really just a hidden corn subsidy. He also says that he has a lot of respect for Michelle Bachmann, which should raise all kinds of red flags.
 trinity818
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2011 6:24:55 AM
If the Republicans don't put forth a moderate candidate, they will probably lose to Obama again.

I think a whole lot of people are very concerned about extreme conservativism.

I may have to just stay home that day.

: (
 wisguyingb
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/6/2011 6:54:58 AM

what seems scary about Pawlenty

Pawlenty signed into law in May 2005 a bill that will raise the minimum mandated mixture to 20% in 2013. Pawlenty has also lobbied the Governors' Ethanol Coalition to mandate higher ethanol use nationwide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Pawlenty

Ethanol is a killer of small engines, outboard boat motor's and so on. Currently my state (WI) allows the sale of non-ethanol blended fuels which I prefer for my $20K dollar Outboard boat engine. The 10% blend is hard enough on these non-automotive engines and now the Government and EPA want to raise the blend %!!! We have filling stations in our state that sell non-ethanol fuel that is labeled as "Recreational, Boat and ATV" Fuel. Get rid of non-ethanol fuels and you set the stage for the death of thousands of small engines.

One can argue that ethanol helps the American farmer which is true. But one can also argue that an ethanol mandate also harms people whom desire ethanol free gas. If we really want to help the farmers maybe we should pass a milk mandate. Make a law that requires Americans to buy at least 2 gallons of milk per week. The Dems could do this since they love telling Americans what products and services they are required to purchase. Plus they can argue the "Milk Mandate" will help the nation get healthier and bring health care costs down...

Anyways, the real problem with the Ethanol is that if you leave that fuel in your tank for more then 60 days you get what is called phase separation. The alcohol that is in Ethanol settles to the bottom of your tank. Ethanol also attracts moisture from the air. Eventually a layer of water and ethanol will separate from the gas and sink to the bottom of the tank. Since fuel is sucked out of your tank from the bottom of the gas tank this mixture of ethanol and water is what is pumped into your engine when you crank it up. Once this water and degraded fuel enters your engine your carburetors and fuel injectors get gummed up. Then the water that has attached itself to the ethanol will make contact with internal metal parts and those parts will rust. Rusted parts need to be replaced. Lastly the ethanol that is separated from the fuel is a very high concentration of alcohol. When the alcohol makes contact with rubber and plastic (gaskets, hoses, etc) those parts become brittle and are destroyed.

I have a few friends that are mechanics that have shown me the true damage of what E10 fuel blends can do to small engines. I also frequent my local boat dealership (for services) and they also have a lot of work fixing expensive boat engines due to the consumer being unaware of the hazards of choosing the E10 fuels. The funny thing is that many times the warranty on the replacement parts are voided if used with fuels that have ethanol in it.

In the end I would be willing to pay a premium price for non-ethanol fuels. I totally disagree with an across the board Ethanol blend mandate and Pawlenty by doing this mandate in his state proves to me that he's not a free market type guy.
 4rumninja
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/6/2011 7:24:55 AM
Really? That's not much of a reason to dislike Pawlenty..Obama's energy policy is unrealistic and costs and will cost us much more in the future.....Gas in my neighborhood is
$3.85 per Gallon
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/6/2011 2:27:35 PM

Really? That's not much of a reason to dislike Pawlenty..Obama's energy policy is unrealistic and costs and will cost us much more in the future.....Gas in my neighborhood is
$3.85 per Gallon

Aww poor you $3.85 per gallon.

[IMG]tinyviolinplaying.jpg[/IMG]

...and that is Obama's fault and not the fault of greedy American oil companies that pay little to no tax on their profits in the US, how?
 .dej
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2011 2:55:40 PM

...and that is Obama's fault and not the fault of greedy American oil companies that pay little to no tax on their profits in the US, how?

You think it's the fault of "greedy" oil companies?

hahahaha okay.
 CMonster
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/6/2011 4:09:34 PM

He also says that he has a lot of respect for Michelle Bachmann, which should raise all kinds of red flags.

This is the only thing that would be a concern if it were true. There's a little thing that happens with a lot of Minnesotans called "Minnesota Nice." It's really just a form of passive aggression done with a smile. Truth be told he thinks she's a loose cannon.

As for being a member of the Religious Reich, I'd have to see proof of that because from where I sit (about 25 miles from the Capitol), religion is not a major staple of his platform and if it were, the local media would relay those stories with a fervor non-contested.

The ethanol thing was based on a way that farmers could get additional subsidies from the Feds. Farmers throughout the midwest had been hit hard in years past with problems with drought, salmonella scares, PETA and the like and were losing their businesses. A coalition of Governors from major corn growing states stomped for more use of ethanol to help the farmers while levering conservation. Unfortunately, politicians aren't economist and they didn't figure that in promoting the growth of corn for ethanol would drive up the cost of produce.

Pawlenty did promise not to raise taxes and he did veto every bill that crossed his desk for higher taxes for any Minnesota wage earner. Yeah, the state is in a hole like 46 or 47 other states but there's a reason for that. Many cities in Minnesota are run as fiscally sound as they could for many, many, many years. Purely bad methods to pay for equipment used for city services.

Add to that the fact that the state is a "preferred" welfare state for the unemployed and it's a wonder why we're at a deficit. Unemployed people from other states move to Minnesota because it's easier to live off of our unemployment system. Talk about progress, huh? It's funny to recall when Jesse Ventura was in office he was giving money back to Minnesotans in the form of rebate checks.

I'm not sold on everything that Pawlenty will use as his platform but I think he would be one of best on fiscal matters. We'll just need to hear his plan on how he plans on doing it on a national level.

Now we just need to deal with his drunken staff member who ran amok in Iowa.
 CountIbli
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/7/2011 12:03:35 AM

As for being a member of the Religious Reich, I'd have to see proof of that because from where I sit (about 25 miles from the Capitol), religion is not a major staple of his platform and if it were, the local media would relay those stories with a fervor non-contested.

He opposes abortion rights, gay marriage, wants to reinstate DADT, he shut down an Islamic finance program that was aimed at increasing home ownership in Minnesota, and he created The Governor's Council On Faith-Based And Community Initiatives.
 CMonster
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/7/2011 9:31:23 AM
He opposes abortion rights, gay marriage, wants to reinstate DADT, he shut down an Islamic finance program that was aimed at increasing home ownership in Minnesota, and he created The Governor's Council On Faith-Based And Community Initiatives.

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that group. *sigh* It's not getting much play on the newsfeeds except when he's stomping through Iowa. Personally I think it's just par for the typical GOP rhetoric.

I'm big on the separation of church and state in addition of government having little say in personal matters. If someone wants to get married, let them. It shouldn't be a legal matter what so ever. If they can find a faith that will marry them, Mazel tov! Same with DADT. But personally, I don't believe that sexual fraternization of any form by anyone should be engaged within any place of business. Anything you do away from business is just fine (as long as it isn't illegal).

Basically, Government should stick to protecting this country, protecting (not infringing) on personal rights of citizens and managing itself in a fiscally sound manner. I think that so far, Pawlenty has the best chance making a fiscal improvement (as long as that's his focus).

Truthfully though, I'm more intrigued by a Ron Paul, Jesse Ventura ticket. There's no chance in hell of them winning but it would be an interesting campaign which would definitely be informative. That's worth a thread of its own.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > If you could do it again: Would you vote for Obama Today?