Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Greatest World Problems      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 351
The Greatest World ProblemsPage 15 of 26    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26)
Having not read passed the first page,
where Cdn_Iceman professes ............
...and then we see that he is in the "finance"
part of the economy....unless they have
entrepreneurs in the financial sector I would
say that is somewhat hypocritical of him....
...unless he was led to see the error of his
ways in the remaining 19 pages ....which
I doubt !
Maybe humans should put their money
where their mouths are.....that is figurative
speech btw .
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 352
The Greatest World Problems
Posted: 9/2/2011 9:57:14 PM
^^^^^^^^ rightttttttttt Im sorry and you are?
 Iascaireachta_arĂ­s
Msg: 353
Posted: 9/2/2011 11:55:23 PM
The OP seems to be gone. I wonder if he envisioned his thread spawning 20 pages since January? In response to his invitation
Please feel free to post your thoughts...
and after skimming through...perhaps absence of kindness is one of the greatest problems...world or otherwise. Sometimes we tear each other to shreds just in these forums.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 354
Posted: 9/3/2011 2:11:21 AM
...and I am somewhat sorry too
that I and my father before me
would build a world and leave
it to following generations who
would just use it up instead of
improving it !
A little hard work and a lot less
know-it-all arrogance from piss ants
would be appreciated !
My sons both have good work ethics...
...the youngest however seems to know
it all too......
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 355
Posted: 9/3/2011 5:25:36 AM

...and I am somewhat sorry too
that I and my father before me
would build a world and leave
it to following generations who
would just use it up instead of
improving it !
A little hard work and a lot less
know-it-all arrogance from piss ants
would be appreciated !
My sons both have good work ethics...
...the youngest however seems to know
it all too.....
Oh you and your father built this world eh? oh okay and you talk about arrogance good Lord, I'm going to give you a tip bud, since you don't know me its not wise to make assumptions you know what they say about people who ASSume things right?

I don't know what your problem is? nor do I care but if you have a issue on what Ive posted challenge it not the person, assuming you know the difference? I will be more than happy to debate with you on something Ive posted that you disagreed with but since I haven't read what is your beef Im suspecting you are a troll Sport.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 356
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 6:04:53 AM
I try to stay up on what is happening in the world. It seems to me that one of the problems I see is a lack of respect. I see this in the arena of politics especially.

Just because people don't always agree with one another is no reason to insult someone. And, the same thing goes for those trying to sell others on a product or idea. Don't try to hose me into buying a product or idea through flashy "salesmanship".Give me the facts and I'll decide on the merits of that.

If your way or product is indeed better you could win a convert or sale. Respect not just others feelings and viewpoints but the truth too. It'll come out eventually...
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 357
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:04:05 AM
Shy, you are really full of crap.
You can not predict what will happen an hour from now, and yet you have total confidence that you know with certainty, what life will be like 20 years forward.
 meowsaidthetigress
Msg: 358
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:11:17 AM
The internet- its brought the world closer and close people further apart.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 359
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:15:21 AM
Paul, about 8 years ago one of our suppliers delivered a load of lubricants, and the driver chatted a bit, and he showed me that his diesel truck was running on water. Of course, it was a lie, but the guy opened the fill cap and showed me, it was not diesel fuel at all, it was this white, watery liquid, maybe
90% water! They called it aqueous fuel, they were testing it for Chevron, I think. It caused injector problems after months of use, and they pulled it.
It had the cleanest exhaust you ever saw,,,
A little food for thought,,,
 cotter
Msg: 360
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 10:40:02 AM

I try to stay up on what is happening in the world. It seems to me that one of the problems I see is a lack of respect.
That lack of respect extends to just about everything we do these days.

We have successfully created a "throw away" generation ... basically a generation that has no respect for anything. Actually, at this point we have multiple generations that have no respect for anything.

The baby boomers have basically created a very "spoiled" generation by being the most prosperous generation in the history of our nation. That's good for them because we can perhaps say they had a great life. But by spoiling our children (you know, give them everything we didn't have ... when they wanted it instead of making them "earn it") we have created a generation of people who are addicted to "instant gratification". In some cases, even the boomers themselves have adapted and become addicted as well.

This attitude spills over into politics. Example ... It took well over 8 years to create our current financial crisis and yet we have a whole political party (two if we have to start counting the teabaggers) who are so focused on instant gratification that unless they get what they want ... AND NOW ... they intend to bring this nation to it's knees.

Of course it doesn't help that various members of their parties are still mourning the fact that a black man is the president and they have vowed to see him fail ... hell or high water (I suppose their version of a spoiled brat hissy fit) ... and just don't care who they take down with them.

My point is ... if it took that long to collectively create this mess, how could anyone logically think it can be solved in the first few months or even years of a person taking office?

I honestly believe we need to give the president a chance to get us on the right road. But it will take more than a few months. Any person in their right mind knows this ... don't they? It just makes sense. When a normal household has an emergency (let's say extensive roof repair) that is not in the budget, they obviously put out the money for it but then take measures to recuperate it in some way so that they can get back on track with their budget. That can take months if not years. And that is just a little ole household.

So why or how could it possibly make sense to our elected officials to bring everything in Washington to a total stand still ... like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum ... until they get what they want (Obama out of office)? H ow is that a good solution?

And of course the other question I have is ... if they were willing to give a total idiot 8 years (of two illegal wars that he never funded much less put in the budget) of time to create such a fiasco, why won't they give a really smart man the same amount of time to turn it all around?

Seems to me they (the two parties opposed to the current administration) simply have no respect for the people who elected them ... and absolutely no respect for the people who chose President Obama to lead us out of the mess the previous administration created for us.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 361
Posted: 9/3/2011 2:14:34 PM
Never say never!!
I work close to HondaR&D, and they are driving hydrogen fuel cell cars right now. When you were young, could you have imagined a camera that took pictures and they developed without taking the film to a store? Did you" think that someone would invent a music machine that plays 1,000 songs and is the size of a zippo lighter?
Did you think you could boil water in one minute with no flame?
Now learn something new,,, go on Nasa's site and check out the oil on Saturn's moon Titan, and me how all those fossils got there.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 362
Posted: 9/3/2011 2:55:40 PM
@ Paul K
Actually from what I gathered, talking with
people who tried / were trying this aqueous
stuff ....there was little if no engine mods at
all .....just playing around with injection duration
and timing and stuff like that.....wouldn't be surprised
if some people aren't using some of that stuff in
India .....and to some advantage or at least perceived
advantage.
Don't be knocking the 200 mpg carb....I still want one !
As to Cdn_Iceman I say Pffft....
...Canada is still a Commonwealth if I'm not mistaken,
you bow to the Queen don't you and drink tea without
being tea Partiers ...right.
And the world as you know it was actually built by
man.....was not created while you slept as you may
think !
And as you, or one of your cronies mentioned somewhere
here, Greed is not produced or implemented by jealousy!
Greed happens when you start amassing lots of the green
stuff and want it all .....without noticing the destruction it
can cause around you.
..... and don't call me bud or other such "talk down to"
terms .........Troll and other such insults is just fine, and
suits your persona to a T.
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 363
Posted: 9/3/2011 3:26:46 PM
Talk to shy, above, he's one smart mofo , he told me so.
He knows what is, what was, and what will be.
I'm just a mechanic.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 364
Posted: 9/3/2011 5:33:08 PM
I don't think it was my best friends wife's cousin.
Lemme ask this.....what's your ****ing problem ???!!
The other man here said a trucker showed him (showed
him !) his tank full of white stuff....he's not related
to me! (I don't think)
Why do you have to go overboard also with 50% fuel/water?
I just said there are people trying this stuff and I also said
something about possibly "Perceived" advantage.
I don't think any thermal cracking of water can be
achieved in a engine combustion chamber...then again
I don't know everything there is to know ....like you I mean!
....Well you don't know where Oil comes from you said...
...maybe you should read more and get a clue sometime!
I have some clues so I had to can the idea that goblins
pumped it down into the ground while we sleep.
If you Google "where does crude oil come from"
you will see the first link is Walmart....but I think
they may be wrong :)
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 365
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 9:01:15 PM
Yes Cotter, msg. 494. You know where I am coming from. You expressed but one disrespectful aspect of our times I was touching on. The political arena specifically and the total lack of respect, and cooperation that these political beings seem to have for each other. And us...

I mean, the crowd of buffoons the right has lined up for possible election I think is an insult to my intelligence. The possible GOP candidate that seems anywhere near reasonable intelligence is running dead last. The Dems have our President of course. I think he could use some work[ and cooperation] but I feel his heart is in the right place. And, I figure he'll screw me the least.....Wow, hard to find anything respectful about this...

Plus, add into the mix the way we're disrespecting the planet we're living on. Hey, they're dumping oil into the Gulf, the North sea. Leaking pipelines into the Yellowstone river and nobody seems to care. In fact, if you can buy the right politician it'all go away.....Get the wrong one and our national parks will look like a pincushion with all the oil and gas rigs.

I do hope we can someday respect one another enough to realise what were doing...
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 366
Posted: 9/3/2011 10:24:38 PM

As to Cdn_Iceman I say Pffft....
...Canada is still a Commonwealth if I'm not mistaken,
you bow to the Queen don't you and drink tea without
being tea Partiers ...right.
And the world as you know it was actually built by
man.....was not created while you slept as you may
think !
And as you, or one of your cronies mentioned somewhere
here, Greed is not produced or implemented by jealousy!
Greed happens when you start amassing lots of the green
stuff and want it all .....without noticing the destruction it
can cause around you.
..... and don't call me bud or other such "talk down to"
terms .........Troll and other such insults is just fine, and
suits your persona to a T.
sounds like you've never been out of the country let alone County from the sounds of it, why don't you take your own advice and use " google" and google Canada 2) I don't have any cronies bud, you seem to confuse me with someone else that works for Wall street.

I don't know where you're getting this jealousy crap from and greed? spare me but keep trolling away even a broken clock is right twice a day, you might one day make a point that actually makes sense.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2011 11:58:17 PM

I would never say never.............. I personally think that hydrogen fuel cell technology has been held back by the far left and the "green" movement on purpose, so they can drive us all back to the stone age.

And why would the "far left and the "green" movements" fight off a sustainable technology? Just curious on how you could come up with such a wild conspiracy. It would make more sense that the oil profit industry has killed off hydrogen fuel tech like they did previously with the electric car and mass transit. The business of the oil/fossil fuel industry is to maximize profit. They don't care about "peak" oil as the unit price will rise according to suppy and demand and the profits will remain constant or increase.

The domestic resource depletion industry does not share our concerns over "energy independence". Sure, they will tout such rhetoric when pushing for more drilling on public lands and sensitive areas, and off shore. But in reality, as drilling goes deeper with more BP disasters just waiting to happen, as desperate fracking consumes much of what remains of our clean water, and the horrific oil sands experiment proceeds apace, EXPORTS are also growing. We now export the equivalent of everything produced in the Gulf of Mexico. Natural gas export terminals are being built or proposed in the Gulf and the West coast for Chinese and Japanese markets. They pay 3 times more for our fracking gas than we do. The fossil fuel industry will do all in it's power to maintain profits over people. That is also why the motherfrackers bought themselves an exemption from the Clean Water Act. Codified criminal behavior.

I have always asked the "peak oil" fools the same question, and not one of them can answer it, and that is the following: How many dinosours would have to have been buried as deep as 5 miles and then become oil in order to have the oil deposits we have today?

They probably didn't answer because of the ignorance of the question. Answer...zero. Oil did not come from dinosaurs.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 368
Posted: 9/4/2011 12:16:05 AM
@ cdn_iceman

I've been out of my back yard a few times, lots
of interesting stuff out there.....like cars and
whatnot....you should try it yourself sometime too.

"Canada 2"....why, you guys have 1 and 2 .....or
are you referring to French Canadians...they
come first? [:)]

....anyone that tells you that Money is the root of evil generally doesn't have any and envies people that do.

Greed, tell me what is Greed? show me any place in the world that doesn't operate on some sort of greed or self interest?

It's really annoying having to dig up crap you posted
and then deny......tick tock, who's clock is stopped?

@ earthpuppy
Look up
Sustainable oil?
By Chris Bennett
Most interesting and gives hope for the future too !

RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 369
Posted: 9/4/2011 12:17:56 AM
Puppy, do you agree with the non-fossil petroleum theories?
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 370
Posted: 9/4/2011 5:40:03 AM
its about time Coyotefeller I was beginning to think, well never mind to that , so tell me what is greed ? and show me who doesn't operate on some sort of self interest?

You think Politicians has the American people best interest in mind? You think the IRS has your best interest in mind? you think Wall Street has your best Interest in mind, How about your Employer do they have the best interest in your mind, how about Unions do the unions have the best interest in your mind when they say " hey lets go on strike and teach management they cant under pay the employees" yet the union directors and management are well paid more than the typical union member

So a business person wants to make profit so what? sure some of them exploits the worker, is it right? no... but most businesses don't, every time we hear big business that do every one lumps them as greedy bas tards, no body talks about the businesses that are still in America that treats their employees well, but its nice to talk about the ones that pick up and move their work forces to some third world country.

As in for the jokers on Wall street, you wont get a argument from me there, Ive never been a fan of Wall Street and its bull shit, but they are the financial center in America, I love to string a lot of them up but I like to start with the politicians that allows them to get away with the crap they've been getting away with.

The legislation I like to see is the one that makes " transparency" a paramount thing.
 Coyotefeller
Msg: 371
Posted: 9/4/2011 2:19:04 PM
Well Cdn_Iceman you've pretty much described
all that is wrong with the world and how to survive
in it ....dog eat dog.....not very pretty and the majority
loses out !
Also you have to separate a few things and paint a big
red line between them....Greed and corruption go hand
in hand...........profit is the Capitalism part of the picture
and used to be put to good use.......but today has been
hoarded by the greedy and corrupt.......how the hell did
that happen !
One would think in a somewhat democratic system we
could counter this sad result because We the people
are supposed to be in charge with our little voting cards.
But financiers and crony politicians together with all their
lawyers (gotta love them lawyers too....hope you are not
one of them.....don't think we are allowed to pic on lawyers
here though!)...have sewn up the system and taken lessons
from sheep herders !
So if we can't turn the tide with a system we profess to
be synonymous with "civilized" then the only thing left
that remains will be a revolution which is seldom bloodless !

You other guys have missed the mark on "non-fossil petroleum theories?"
You should really read that which I suggested to earthpuppy and do some
thinking with your human caps on and not your green caps!
 PragmaticDoc
Msg: 372
Posted: 9/4/2011 6:14:16 PM
Humans are the world's biggest problem. Take away us and the world has no problems.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 7:36:40 AM
I don't know if this is a problem or not but here goes. Since we first started sucking oil out of the ground we must have removed billions of gallons of crude from the earth.

What about the space that is left when the oil is removed? Is it a big hole? does water seep in to replace the volume of oil removed? If so, will this lead to a water shortage? Is this a problem or am I losing sleep over nothing??
 Artful22
Msg: 374
Posted: 9/10/2011 9:36:27 AM
I few years ago I produced a documentary on peak oil made with the director who made what many consider the first film on the subject two years previous to our releasing our film. We interviewed many of the key people at an ASPO conference as well as scientists and law makers spearheading new technologies and looking ahead to a world with much less oil. ASPO leaders and speakers who went on camera included former heads of major oil corporations, minsters in the British and French government, etc.

Everyone we spoke to said oil is definitely close to peaking. New technologies to date cannot affect energy return on energy invested. Once it becomes too expense to drill deeper or employ expensive technologies to extract ever deeper oil deposits, the well has to close. Technology will not save us was their clear message. Some said we should invest our attention and money toward alternative energies now instead of wasting it on trying to reach the deepest remaining oil deposits. Also, the new fields being found now tend to me small and not worth the cost of drilling.

But it isn't just our consumption of gas and oil for our cars and heating, less available oil affects pretty much ever facet of our lives. Our consumption and dependence on oil was accelerated exponentially in post-war USA and Canada with the construction of the suburb and all its trappings. As soon as Walmart and other big importers can no longer afford the transportation costs of giant cargo ship containers of plastic things from China to the port of Los Angeles, a re-think of locally produced goods, manufacturing and distribution centers will become a bigger issue than it is now. The problem is, we have in North America dismantled many manufacturing operations in a race to out source that activity to areas of the world where labour and material costs are cheaper. I personally try to buy local products as much as possible and support local business. Do I need to save 50 cents on a product that came from China when I can buy its local counterpart down the street, not to mention the energy consumed in gas and time by driving the extra miles to a big box store? I've come to look at purchases thinking, do I need to replace or own this or that, or is it simply that I can have things that are not essential based on the fact they are available.

Fuel economy, conservation and bringing renewable sources of energy online are important but they won't circumvent the fact we one day will not have the amount of available oil we have become used to having. In North America we fill up our tanks whenever we want and complain loudly as the price per gallon climbs. Yet here it is still cheap to fill up. When I was in Europe a few years ago gas was over $8 a gallon. The highways in Spain were wonderfully open because people there only used them when they had to. In North America we don't use trains as much as they do in Europe and a huge upgrading and expansion of our system will be needed to achieve anything close to the service available there. I saw how people in Europe tended to live more within their local economies that we do here. Before we get too far down the rabbit hole worrying about where our next gallon of gas will come from, maybe a rethink of how we live our lives in general is in order.
 matchlight
Msg: 375
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 6:20:11 PM

or suck up the aquafurs in irrigation which has close to used up all of them.

I don't know about that. And even if groundwater is pumped up for irrigating crops, where does it go? The amount of water on earth has barely changed--where can it go? Some scientists think Mars once had seas that boiled away and was lost for good. But Mars doesn't have nearly the earth's gravity--things don't need to have so much energy there to escape it, and go into space.

But if we had a big enough power source, we could make all the fresh water we need from the ocean, anyway. And we could hydrolyze water to make hydrogen, and then burn it. The most obvious source of renewable energy already available is nuclear fission, which is used to generate about 75% of the electricity in France. Hundreds of thousands of American servicemen have sailed around on nuclear-powered aircraft carriers and submarines for fifty years now, without thinking much of it. Breeder reactors even make their own fuel.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > The Greatest World Problems