Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Breast Milk Baby Doll      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 daynadaze
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Breast Milk Baby DollPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It's normal behavior for kids (not just girls) to act this sort of thing out, they see it from their mothers, it's what kids do. I don't think you need to make a special doll for it, that's just greed from a company looking to use children, but it's up to the parent to handle this. I think it's more of a time to have a good talk than a time to shun a child's behavior and it's always time for a parent to step in and keep certain 'toys' away from their own children if it's really harmful to them. I doubt most children would be harmed if they played nurse-the-baby with a doll, what they need would be info about babies and nursing. But not too much, mostly kids need to play.
 justagrlwithacat
Msg: 24
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/30/2011 9:38:22 PM
I too think it's a ridiculous marketing gimmick. So many little girls already pretend breastfeed dolly. That's what mom does. No need for a special doll, nipple thing. But I'm also not offended by it either. So what, it's pretend breastfeeding. Is breastfeeding bad? Seems some people only think breast in breastfeeding must have sexual meaning. Get over it.
 cotter
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/31/2011 8:30:04 AM
I breastfed all of my (4) children and never went into hiding as I was feeding the baby. (Yes I also breastfed in public but did not expose my breasts while doing so. There really are many ways to breastfeed a baby without drawing any kind of attention to it.)

My first three children were girls and I recall as I was feeding #2 and #3 that the oldest (and likewise then #2 and #3) would run and get their doll and pretend to feed their "baby" just the same as I was feeding their younger sibling.

I did not encourage it and I did not make a big deal of it by saying, "Oh no, no, no ... don't do that! That's just for 'real' mommies." In their minds, they were the "mommies" of their dolls so that was just a natural thing to do.

To my knowledge, none of my children are perverted, or psychologically damaged by the experience. I also note that none of my children are very inhibited about their bodies and I suppose that could be because I never displayed any inhibitions either.

I wonder where the major part of the outrage is coming from? If it turns out to be from the US ... then that would be understandable. The US is the most inhibited nation in the world.

I think rap and many other supposedly politically correct things are actually inappropriate for children, but where is the outrage there?
 cookie22222
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/31/2011 10:42:14 AM
I saw this on Good Morning America this morning - apparently this doll was a huge hit in Spain and is now headed our way.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/31/2011 11:21:34 AM

ummm do you see many men breast feeding their children?

God knows my daughter certainly tried. Didn't mind it so much till her teeth came in.
 inthroughtheoutdoor
Msg: 28
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/31/2011 11:47:48 AM

^^^Far more than hyperbole. Just plain wrong.

And comparing feeding a baby to having intercourse isn't hyperbole?

The next step is dolls to have intercourse with so they know exactly how babies are made and they can imitate that too

The very term breast-feeding is self-explanatory enough - it's about feeding - again, it's how mammals feed their babies. There is nothing remotely sexual about feeding a baby the way nature intended it and I am willing to bet that almost all children have been exposed to other ( non-human) mammals feeding their youngs - is that "wrong" too??

Should we not "allow" our children to see animals feed from their mothers for fear of traumatising them? Don't (most) children ask where milk comes from? How do you explain to a child a female cat or dog with a fresh litter of pups or kittens that are eagerly suckling their mother? Or do you hide that from them too because it's "wrong", shameful, too much information?

Oh my gawd...this isn't about sex - it's about a mother feeding her baby(ies) and just because women's breasts have been sexualised beyond recognition in many places around the world doesn't change the fact that they are mammary glands first and foremost.

Is it the word breast in breast-feeding that's offensive to some people? Then let's call it something else - a cow has an udder, a female dog or cat has teats and we don't say they teat-feed or udder-feed their youngs - they (the more evolved ones it seems) are simply feeding their babies the way they are supposed to.

I suggest we take the word breast out of the equation and replace it with something else, like gland or something...so we'd say that Louise decided to gland-feed her baby instead of bottle feeding it...it that better? Even better (for me at least) would be the day that no one even raises an eyebrow on something as natural and as beautiful as a mother feeding her child but I won't hold my breath.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 29
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 3/31/2011 12:27:58 PM
Far more than hyperbole. Just plain wrong.

When you compare the US to Europe, South and North American countries they are more conservative by a mile.

Can you image what would happen if the NY Times had a page 3 girl.

I can guarantee you, someone would come out and saying something with respect to "...think of the children.." much like this thread.

Which is much to do about nothing.

Edit for below

^^^You are only referring to one specific aspect, as well, you are also only mentioning Western cultures.....the post in question said the US was the most inhibited country IN THE WORLD. Totally wrong.

It may be wrong but not totally wrong, they are a very conservative country.

english lass
Msg: 30
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:52:10 PM
I think it's weird.

I breast fed all four of my kids for a year each most of the time, but that's as an ADULT - a woman, a mother and a grown-up choosing to use my body in a way I felt best for my baby.

Kids are kids. They don't need more attention drawn to areas of their bodies that aren't even near the process of maturing yet. They don't have any idea of the way that their bodies can be 'politicized' or debated about.

Let them enjoy being young and uncomplicated for a little while.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 31
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/1/2011 11:41:49 PM
Elsewhere I blog, when this came up, one woman who's breastfed five, mentioned that her son "breastfed" his truck -- made me chuckle, it did. And once, I had a big tom cat who let one of the kittens nurse on him. For years after she wasn't a kitten.

As for more specific information being available to children. . . I remember a wonderful encyclopedia my family had that had these wonderful overlays printed on clear plastic: you could, by simply, turning pages, root down through the skin, nerves, arteries and veins and internal organs right down to the bone. And ya, ladies and gentlemen, too. And, *gasp* pregnant ladies with vaginas and everything!! And none of the nine of us grew up perverted, or odd, or. . . .

THE doll I'd love to see banned and burned is the Barbie. That is the doll that is responsible for more cases of anorexia and bulimia than will ever be documented or likely even imagined. Pure evil.

Just one question. Those training bras. . . . Exactly what are they training them to do?
 Island home
Msg: 32
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/2/2011 2:07:44 AM

THE doll I'd love to see banned and burned is the Barbie.

I think the toy baby bottle should be banned.
This unarguably promotes a perversion of nature
 sukkatash
Msg: 33
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/2/2011 4:40:37 PM

comments? opinions?

- I'd rather have the parents teach the kid about breast feeding than Hasbro.
-I'm a prude and don't want to go to Applebee's and see a 4-8 year old kids ketchup covered nipples while playing with their cabbage patch doll and eating chicken nuggets, they just happened to forget to bring the special nipple shirt so decides the real ones are good to go.

-I don't want any kids I have (at the doll playing age) to come ask me why no matter how hard the neighbor, Billy, sucks on their nipples milk doesn't come out.
-I would prefer to keep anything that potentially squirts away from any kid under the age of about 20. Eventually it's going to be filled with pee and shot at me.

-I don't want to see a Silence of the Lambs sequel with Buffalo Bill wearing a breastfeeding shirt, holding a real baby.
-It's all about me, what I want, and if I ruled the world.

If toy companies were "really" interested in promoting realism rather than controversy as a marketing ploy, then why weren't all those baby poops a lot toys far worse smelling? I've never met a baby who didn't load a diaper with the most foul smelling bioterror weapon.
If toy companies fixed that, I could get behind this.
It would be awesome if they incorporated an easy bake oven with the (poops a lot) doll. Feed the ingredients to the doll, let it come out the other end as a stinky nutty fudge like substance, and then make cookies.
Then you could have milk and cookies for the price of 2 dolls.

I wonder why most if not all baby dolls focus on teaching kids how to be a mommy rather than a parent.
 kittybiscuit
Msg: 34
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/2/2011 6:28:16 PM
I don't think it is any more disturbing than expecting little girls to feed their toy babies a bottle. There isn't anything wrong with breast feeding and I guess I would rather have little girls associate their (future) breasts with something wholesome than something solely for the sexual appreciation of men.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 35
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 6:38:01 AM
there's nothing to get over. there are merely different personal preferences based on people's reaction to pretend representations of bodily functions and how they think those should or should not be portrayed to young children, particularly their own. some people think drinking their own piss has health benefits and they swear by it. so wow, i'll run right out and buy Amaroli (piss drinking) Barbie for the grandkids, how's that.

vvv it's not a weak argument, it's completely on point. however, you merely missed the obvious because you're so obsessed with other people's opinions regarding the sexual connotations of breast tissue. congratulations. yay for you.
 Cdn_Iceman
Msg: 36
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 7:45:33 AM
The whole thing is really a stupid Idea, women has been breast feeding their infants before Moses built that ark, or was that Noah? doesn't matter.

And now the brain trust of that company thinks that there is a market for this? Its a stupid idea, first thing little girls dont have breasts so its pointless,This is just plain wrong. No child needs to know what it is like to breastfeed. When they get older they will discover it. They do not need to have such an adult experience so young.

What's next , some company is going to manufacture dolls and show kids how babies are made? isn't that what sex education is for?
 sukkatash
Msg: 37
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 1:52:48 PM

No child needs to know what it is like to breastfeed. When they get older they will discover it.

I couldn't disagree more.
I think this is a great starter toy.
They should also include some sort of device that mimics the discomfort and/or pain when a woman has "too full breasts" and needs to feed, or when the kid bites down or sucks too hard. Maybe send out little electric shocks or something.
Maybe the doll comes with a coupon they can exchange when they are teens for implants full of breast milk they can then use in sex ed.

I am wondering when the "teenager doll that won't get off the cell phone and keeps sending naked text photos to the love of her life this week" comes out.
Or "my boss made a pass at me, is that sexual harassment and what do I do about it" doll.
Also the "what does a hysterectomy do" doll two pack with "uh oh I feel a lump" doll.
Where's the "my first menstruation" doll.
I can't wait for "nocturnal emissions" or "my balls just dropped" G.I. Joe.
Kids should be given these lessons when they are as young as possible to prepare them for when they are older.
Kind of like teaching them a language. Best to start as early as possible.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 38
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 2:37:19 PM

Actually most people think of breasts as purely sexual when their only function is to feed children. So those who think the doll is indecent or somehow corrupting a child do have something to get over.

Maybe you should get over the fact not everyone agrees with you. Just a thought.

~OT~ About this doll? Seriously? Come on!!! Why on earth would this be even remotely educational for an 8 year old? I see lots of things being stated by those pro-doll, but nothing that has convinced me it's doing anything positively based for any girl of a pre-pubescent age. What's the actual purpose? Why the need to get into such things at such a young tender age? 8 year olds should be allowed to be 8. They shouldn't be pushed into their teen-aged years until they are actually teen-aged. This is pushing the limit for me. Our children grow up entirely too fast as it is. I see no LOGICAL reason to promote any child into knowing what being a parent is about, and breast-feeding is indeed tied to being a parent. Now if they were to attach a little man, a wedding ceremony, in-laws, paying bills, etc., to the doll? I might be for it. At least it would be teaching that having babies isn't a novelty. Otherwise? It's creating images/ideas of parenting that simply do NOT belong in the head of a little girl and are NOT realistic in nature. JMO
Msg: 39
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 2:43:49 PM

I see no LOGICAL reason to promote any child into knowing what being a parent is about,

Then dolls should be taken away from little girls altogether.Along with the pretend diapers,bottles,strollers,doll cribs ,change of clothings,washtubs,diaper bags,and everything else that lets a little girl pretend she is playing mommy.

The only thing that nursing is about is feeding a baby.It has nothing to do with sex.When I was a little girl I saw my oldest sister nursing her son and I imitated these things with my dolls.It's not a dirty,perverse or sexual thing,it is merely how a baby is fed naturally.The bottle is what is unnatural.Breast have been so hyper sexualized that we have forgotten what breast are for.Feeding babies.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 40
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 3:09:55 PM
The only thing that nursing is about is feeding a baby.It has nothing to do with sex.When I was a little girl I saw my oldest sister nursing her son and I imitated these things with my dolls.It's not a dirty,perverse or sexual thing,it is merely how a baby is fed naturally.The bottle is what is unnatural.Breast have been so hyper sexualized that we have forgotten what breast are for.Feeding babies.

Show me where I personally said it's sexual or perverse. I didn't state that. That's YOU'RE assumption of my disinterest. Clearly my objection has nothing to do with sex or I would have stated so previously. And your answer still doesn't tell my ONE positive thing that this is teaching an 8 year old CHILD. Is it promoting reading skills? Does it teach her mathematics? Does it teach her science, geography? Does it teach her how to share with others? Honesty? Manners? Self-worth/esteem? How to have fun with other children? Etc., etc. I think not. Just one positive thing, that is truly age-appropriate and I'd be happy to admit I didn't see the positivity here. Otherwise? Nope. I see no logical reason for this to be marketed. JMO
Msg: 41
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 4:59:34 PM

Show me where I personally said it's sexual or perverse. I didn't state that. That's YOU'RE assumption of my disinterest. Clearly my objection has nothing to do with sex or I would have stated so previously.

I didn't mean you.I am sorry if you got impression.It was more a general statement on some of the other comments I have read.I should of been more clear.Again sorry about that.

And your answer still doesn't tell my ONE positive thing that this is teaching an 8 year old CHILD. Is it promoting reading skills? Does it teach her mathematics? Does it teach her science, geography? Does it teach her how to share with others? Honesty? Manners? Self-worth/esteem? How to have fun with other children? Etc., etc. I think not. Just one positive thing, that is truly age-appropriate and I'd be happy to admit I didn't see the positivity here. Otherwise? Nope. I see no logical reason for this to be marketed. JMO

I don't think even plain ordinary dolls really teach kids anything.It's more for play, imagination and imitation I guess.Nursing is just feeding a baby after all so I guess I truly don't see how age appropriateness come into the equation at all.It's like those fake plastic shaving kits for little boys to mimic dad shaving.They have no facial hair yet,but like to pretend.I see no harm in imitating these kinds of things.As a person who from the time I was a little child saw nursing going on frequently ,I just never saw it as anything more then the baby was hungry and mom this is how the mother fed it.I never even knew that men were interested in boobs too until I got a little older.

Anyway regardless of what you,I or anyone believes I guess it will be up to each parent individually if they decide to buy this doll for their child or not.
 honeycognac
Msg: 42
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/3/2011 11:16:14 PM
I don't see what all the fuss is about, but let me tell you about my grand-daughter, who I think would love this doll. She's 2 and a half, and just weaned herself a couple of months ago. She absolutely loved nursing and was able to verbalize it very well - said it tasted like "mangoes" and "cinnamon". Now my daughter is going to deliver another baby very soon, and when we ask, what will Mommy do when the baby cries, she says "nurse!" and then she say's "I nurse too" and she lifts up her top and shows her nipples. She will be very disappointed when she realizes that she has no milk. Of course when Mommy nurses the baby, she'll be grabbing her baby dolls and be pretending to nurse them.

I doubt that we'll be running out and buying the doll, but considering how eager she is to nurse, I can see the appeal.

There are so many mini plastic bottles in toy stores and representations of bottle feeding in children's books, IMO there are not enough depictions of breast feeding.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 43
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/4/2011 1:23:00 PM
Perhaps of interest. . .

Baby Milk Action - The Nestlé Boycott
Nestl aggressively promotes its baby milks around the world, breaking a World Health Organisation code of marketing. It is subject to a consumer boycott in ...
www.babymilkaction.org/pages/boycott.html

Nestlé boycott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Nestlé boycott is a boycott launched on July 7, 1977, in the United States against the Swiss based Nestlé corporation. It spread quickly throughout the ...
The baby milk issue - History of the boycott - Current status of the boycott
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestlé_boycott
 CallmeKen
Msg: 44
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/4/2011 5:03:29 PM

The Nestlé boycott is a boycott launched on July 7, 1977, in the United States against the Swiss based Nestlé corporation.

Well, it's 2011. Thank God Nestle was driven out of business for its action. That is, unless you count the 34 billion it made in profit in 2010.
 sukkatash
Msg: 45
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/4/2011 5:37:52 PM

She's 2 and a half, and just weaned herself a couple of months ago. She absolutely loved nursing and was able to verbalize it very well - said it tasted like "mangoes" and "cinnamon". Now my daughter is going to deliver another baby very soon, and when we ask, what will Mommy do when the baby cries, she says "nurse!" and then she say's "I nurse too" and she lifts up her top and shows her nipples. ...considering how eager she is to nurse, I can see the appeal.

Can't wait for the newspaper stories relating stories of 2 year old Jenny being found attempting to nurse her younger sister with a toy nursing shirt, poisoning the infant due to the toy being made in China.
Or suffocating the baby because a fake plastic breastfeeding nipple toy was forced into the infants face.
Or who knows what substance being put into the toy to properly feed the infant.

Nestl aggressively promotes its baby milks around the world

I didn't know Nestle used breast milk.
For some reason I get this mental picture of swiss maidens standing around a big vat of chocolate squirting breast milk into it and at each other.
 honeycognac
Msg: 46
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/4/2011 6:49:01 PM
As I stated, we won't be rushing out to buy the toy.

Nestle has been, of course, infamous for promoting infant formula. Your mental pictures are, er, interesting.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 47
Breast Milk Baby Doll
Posted: 4/4/2011 8:55:10 PM
Irony, of course, is that Nestle is anti-breastfeeding, and has touted its products as being modern, western, and up to date. If babies didn't die because its marketing. . . .

But they have been hurt enough to buckle a number of times. Alas, they've just lied, as they've lying all along. I'm sure an occasional Nestle product slips in my cart, because they're so huge and diverse, but on the whole, except one two year period after they claimed to be in compliance, I've been boycotting them since 1977.

Ah. Well.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Breast Milk Baby Doll