Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ahron123
Msg: 26
Australia-The Lucky CountryPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
TimelessGrandeur, Cheers :)
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Australia-The Lucky Country
Posted: 8/4/2011 8:50:38 PM

'the lucky country' is the title of a book written by australian author donald horne in 1964.
he was being ironic with the title as he felt the country was run by second rate philistines and xenophobes.

How right he was. That Tony Abbott is our preferred PM ought to be a national embarrassment, however Australians are largely proud of how easily spooked they are.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 12:53:57 AM

Oh by the way i'm not a rascist i just think that Australia needs to take a step back and slow our rapid growth for a while.

If you need to qualify anything you say with any variant if "I'm not racist but..." you're probably a racist.
Australia has plenty of room, deal with it.
 qldblue
Msg: 29
Posted: 8/5/2011 6:04:02 AM
I also believe we as a country should slow our flow of immigrants into Australia as at the moment we have a high unemployment level, we also spend far too much money on Foreign Aid and far too little on where it is needed in our own country, all we have to look at is our failing health, education and housing systems for proof.

Yes we have plenty of room but we do not have the infrastructure to deal with the influx of people coming into Australia, let alone the people who are here already.

We have had successive governments prepared to spend money to appease factions rather than fix problems.

Once we had people who quite willingly worked hard and reaped the benefits of their labours but now it is difficult to get people just to do their jobs properly and this impacts everywhere.

Thanks to governments, business leaders and unions we find that there are people who want to work less but get paid more, we have business's who want to pay less but put in place systems that cost the end user more and governments who taxes everything.

I have recently heard that an outcome from the enquiry into the Qld floods that there is a proposal that would charge people in NON- Flood areas, (about 70%), more for their insurance to help cover the costs of payouts to people in flood prone areas, (about 30%).

But the question that needs to be answered is why are the local governments and state government allowing people to build in flood prone areas.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 6:21:44 AM
We actually have an EXTREMELY LOW (less than 5% if I recall) level of unemployment and business is begging for more immigrants because there are more jobs available than people.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/5/2011 6:28:58 PM
We don't need a balanced budget law because our country is not run by Wall Street and our banks are effectively regulated.
Sometimes the budget needs to be in deficit anyway. An enforced balanced budget would at best achieve nothing and at worst lead to the collapse of essential services.
 qldblue
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/6/2011 12:50:43 AM
No country should be run at a loss regardless of political party has control.

If a company is run at a loss year after year then that company will end up in a position of closing it's doors and leaving massive debts as well as more people on the unemployment line but the general acceptance is that governments can do this without impunity.

The ideal is for income to exceed costs, a very simple matter but it seems that our politicians cannot or will not put into practice their jibberings.

Every year we hear our treasurers say they will be looking at a balanced budget and we never get a balanced budget with the blame being placed firmly on other reasons.

Ridiculous requests for high pay rises do not help nor do the fictional at times reasons for price increases.

As it has been stated in another post, politicians at times believe that the money train will always come in.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 1:08:52 AM
Wait my bad Estonia isn't in Eastern Euroe.
In any case for Australia to be like any of the Nordic countries we only have to do one thing: elect Greens to a majority in both houses of Parliament!
Easy right?
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/6/2011 1:13:49 AM
If we decide to balance the budget before all else, you would need to cut more than foreign aid. What programs would you cut? Medicare? Defence? Schools? Hospitals? Infrastructure?
Or maybe you'd prefer to raise taxes? On who?
Don't be sucked in by this balanced budget crap, it's only advanced by crazy Tea Party types who think Ayn Rand was a sensible person.
 tinapenny
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/6/2011 4:12:18 AM

The quality of life in Australia is lower than Estonia.

Really? I have no idea what its like in Estonia but Aus quality of life is good. How did you become an expert anyway, given that you come from New York?
 qldblue
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/6/2011 10:20:23 PM
Apart from Foreign Aid, we can cut pollies pays affecting federal, state and local pollies.

I would not even think about cutting the pay of our defence forces because if I use your stance from previous posts, internetdatingidol we would send our troops out to get rid of any person in foreign governments that you didn't like thus we would lower our numbers in the defence force easily.

One just has to look at the perks that are on offer for our serving and retired pollies to see where we can reduce expenditure without targeting the areas that should not suffer from budget cuts.

Do we need a carbon tax, stamp duty, do we need our pollies being driven around with one polly per government car, do all the heads of government deparments need a vehicle supplied at tax payer expense?

I am sure there are more areas that can be looked at for reducing the cost of government than taking money from education, health and the aged.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2011 5:40:47 AM
Yeah, you probably do need a carbon tax if you want to raise revenue to have a balanced budget. It's either hard cuts that affect all of us or an effective tax. Or both.
The fact is a balanced budget sounds good until you realize what exactly you have to do to achieve it. Cutting benefits to a few politicians which doesn't amount to much at all won't achieve anything of substance... that's a tiny drop in a large pond - like less than 1% of total revenue.
 HappyRocker
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2011 5:02:07 AM
Politicians are the new aristocracy. Rotate the barstards every election. You won't get better govt but at least you make them wait longer until they can retire on tax payer topped up super.
 HappyRocker
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 3:48:27 AM
Australia can't be the "Lucky Country" anymore ... I haven't won anything on Lotto for ages!
 HappyRocker
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 9/10/2011 5:56:06 AM
I lie, I won $11.40 in last Saturday's Lotto ......... WHOOPEE!!!! I might buy another house.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 41
Posted: 9/19/2011 3:25:16 AM

unemployment -around 5%

Don't you think this is because of the manipulation of figures by your government,\.?
ie the mining industry which should be left on their own once China gets what they need out of it. In conjunction with the retail and manufacturing numbers coming in at low numbers I wonder if you are as lucky as you imagine hey.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 9/19/2011 5:04:31 AM

unemployment -around 5%

Don't you think this is because of the manipulation of figures by your government,\.?
ie the mining industry which should be left on their own once China gets what they need out of it. In conjunction with the retail and manufacturing numbers coming in at low numbers I wonder if you are as lucky as you imagine hey.

I'm not imagining it. Those statistics are compiled monthly by the Bureau of Statistics (an independent body not staffed by politicians) and no, I dont buy into the conspiracy theory that the government is manipulating the figures. If you do you're paranoid, pure and simple.
 ralph1234567
Msg: 43
Posted: 9/23/2011 9:07:40 AM
AUSTRALIA WHAT A GREAT NAME FOR A COUNTRY YES BUT THE FLOODS AND FIRES WERE 100 YEAR EVENTS WE JUST HAD A DROUGHT 4 10 YEARS OUR PEOPLE ARE FROM ALL CORNERS OF THE WORLD OUR FIRST AUSTRALIANS ARE THE OLDEST RACE OF PEOPLE IN THE WORLD OUR SOLDIERS ARE THE BEST IN THE WORLD YES WE HAVE PROBLEMS BUT ITS OUR GREAT MATESHIP THAT GETS US THOUGH THE HARD TIMES WE CAN VOTE FOR WHAT EVER PARTY WE WANT THE NEW MIGRANTS NEED TO RELIZE WE DONT LIKE THEM BRINGING THE PROBLEMS FROM THEIR LANDS TO OUR COUNTRY WE NEED TO LIVE IN PEACE OR OUR WAY OF LIFE IS THEN CHANGED WE HAVE GREAT WILDLIFE AND CLEAN AIR AND LANDSCAPE THAT IS UNIQUE I AM U ARE AUSTRALIAN BE PROUD OF OUR COUNTRY.
 deenowski
Msg: 44
Posted: 9/28/2011 12:04:24 PM
I know some kiwi mates and they only pay between 60 and 80 cents for a can of coke back home, what gives??
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 9/28/2011 7:15:31 PM
Between expensive coke and living in New Zealand I'd always choose expensive coke.
 Tah,
Msg: 46
Posted: 9/29/2011 3:17:39 AM
We are so lucky to have Andrew bolt.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 8:13:17 AM
Andrew Bolt.
The guy is a complete blowhard. The first time I ever heard of him was when I was made to listen to him bloviate about the UN for some first-year politics debate for uni at the Melbourne Town Hall. He couldn't have made a worse impression... full of condescension and totally in love with himself. This was especially apparent during a q&a session afterwards. The way he went about answering questions was a sight to behold. I don't even know why he agreed to be there, he obviously hates young people and you could quite clearly appreciate that he thought he was somehow lowering himself by being in a room full of them!
It's only after that I learned that he's a complete prick in the written medium too.
But... Australians just eat him and his retarded opinions up. Joke's on me I guess!
 Tah,
Msg: 48
Posted: 9/29/2011 7:33:25 PM
People like Gina Rienhart find him useful....vatican once found the brown shirts useful until the grew bigger than anyone could handle.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/29/2011 7:43:45 PM
This country is completely ****ed if people think we need to stand up for narcissistic bullies like Andrew Bolt.
Screw him! Admire a real journalist.
 Tah,
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/30/2011 5:10:02 AM
Julian Assange?
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country