Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gingerosity
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Australia-The Lucky CountryPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
if ya don't like it do as the bumper stickers say

Argh! Don't get me started on the bumper stickers

surveys that measure the perceived levels of corruption

I'm highly skeptical of surveys measuring corruption... "ok kids, hands up who's been naughty today?" lol. The most you can say from that is that we have better spin doctors than other places. We might be more sophisticated about it, but we're hardly clean. Read up on lobbyists in Canberra if you think money doesn't talk here.
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Australia-The Lucky Country
Posted: 2/1/2012 3:22:42 AM
"Where else can you burn the national flag"

Lots of places, including the US.
 lusta69
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 3:27:47 AM
oh to b 27 and know everything
 gingerosity
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 3:31:59 AM
oh to b 27 and know everything

haha, you might want to edit that lusta. You're leaving yourself open to the old "oh, to be 42 and know nothing" line...
 lusta69
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 3:41:37 AM
yeah ging but hell we all call australia home don't we.no one is held here unless they are criminals lol so all free to go
 gingerosity
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:21:59 AM
Agreed. But I have a problem with those bumper stickers because they make out that you have to love everything or nothing. It's very black-and-white thinking. Some parts of Australia aren't perfect. Is seeking improvement in those areas such a bad thing? Isn't it more patriotic to look at ourselves critically and endeavour to do even better???
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 80
Posted: 2/1/2012 4:44:28 AM

if ya don't like it do as the bumper stickers say

Make magic happen?

Argh! Don't get me started on the bumper stickers

Bumper stickers that tell foreigners to completely accept the status quo or go home sound very patriotic. And if they'd had them sooner, well, maybe that Irish guy who lead the Eureka Stockade, and the Canadian bloke who designed the flag they used, would have got the message and buggered off home seeing as they clearly didn't like how things were. Bloody foreigners.
 gingerosity
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 5:47:08 AM
if they'd had them sooner... Eureka Stockade...

They were around back then but didn't last long enough to have any impact - they don't stick too well to horse ar$e.

Thats ok though, there was still plenty of crap to be seen when you were at the lights.
 lusta69
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 12:15:00 PM
the Eureka Stokeade was about standing up for their rights against tyrants of colonial rule because they were embracing this country,lucky they did,it helped shape this country.it is the lucky country,maybe not the best- but not the worst place to be.improvement needed?-of course. We are a multi-cultural country and all people are welcome here
 MrsNaamah
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/1/2012 1:14:20 PM
it helped shape this country

And you’ve illustrated my point beautifully…which was that you can have someone who in one breath supports the bumper stickers (which broadcast the message that anyone born elsewhere and moving to this country, who doesn’t like how things are, has no right to say or do anything about it because if they don’t like how we do things here they should just go home) and yet can in their next breath claim the Eureka Stockade as a glorious Australian iconic event (when in fact many of the key people involved in that uprising were people who had moved to this country, who didn’t like how things were being done, and said and did stuff to change it rather than ‘go home’) <-- They went against the bumper sticker mentality, and yet we talk of them with pride.

Do you not see any irony there?

Of the people charged over the Eureka Stockade, apparently one was born in Sydney, the rest were born in Ireland, Scotland, America, Jamaica, Netherlands and Italy. So if they moved here and helped “shape this country” by not “doing what the bumper stickers say”, in shutting up or going home despite being “free to go” if they didn’t like it , then why would anyone be so adamant that such behaviour is ‘unAustralian’ now?
 lusta69
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 2/1/2012 10:44:11 PM
bumper sticker- the one i had in mind is "love it or leave it"don't freakin whinge about it or go on about how bloody great is back home.if you live here it's home.embrace it,love it, explore it, welcome strangers to our country but don't let's take any crap about it
 tinapenny
Msg: 85
Posted: 2/2/2012 5:06:59 AM
Its sheer luck where you happen to have been born. If you're lucky you get brought into a comfortable family in Australia. Unlucky, and you arrive in a warzone somewhere like Afghanistan. So I dont really understand where people get the pride of possession, like they did something really special, worked extra hard to deserve their place in Australia, more so than some other bugger who obviously didn't try hard enough coz otherwise he would have started his life somewhere better?!

Whenever I feel like whinging about life, I remember how lucky we really are.
 treemanbdj
Msg: 86
Posted: 2/3/2012 4:45:02 PM
Hummmm after being here a few months looking to move here, not so sure this is luckier then good old USA...Not here to cast stones...

But really mis.....99cent burgers, case of coke 4.99.....75cent a liter petro.....50 states with good growing ground and plenty of good drinking water...

The government and the people seem to be the same..

and god do I miss the interstate driving where everyone gets up and gets the V-8's a rolling 90K...OMG give my my turnpikes were we roll at 180k...

And not all thes cripers that bloody well will "KILL" you..

But I digress...Truth my mates....the island is nice and the people treat us nice(cuz were visitors) and the beaches are great.

Hawaiianluau
Msg: 87
Posted: 2/3/2012 6:33:12 PM
in few more years we will swap china iron ore for the "U.S" and rename it "new east wales"

This is my take on the south pacific economy and I may be wrong but it's what I've heard from Aussie residents visiting here. This is just a question not that I am going to pose it in a question form.

This is how I have envisioned the future from people that I have talked to.
China is not going to sustain their huge economy and in doing so will not be the great partner to Australia in the buying of the mined metals etc. that Aussies sell to them at the present time. I'm not the smart one in the field of finance but what has been brought to my attention is that this boom won't sustain. I'm seeking more qualified opinions.
 gingerosity
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2012 7:57:15 PM
China may well stall, but that isn't necessarily a huge disaster for Australia. Mining in Australia contributes about 8% to GDP and employs under 2% of the workforce. It is much smaller than most people think. What makes people think it is so important is that it accounts for about a third of our exports... but when you realise that most of the profits flow offshore as dividends, its supposedly huge benefits to Australia seem like a lot of hot air.

The mining tax was an attempt to actually get something for Australia from giving away our finite resources and wrecking our environment, but it got significantly watered down due to the propaganda war waged by the mining oligarchs (that also brought down our elected Prime Minister). It was a masterclass in how to use our ignorance against us.
 SmileyWoman1961
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 2/4/2012 2:54:46 AM

But I digress...Truth my mates....the island is nice and the people treat us nice(cuz were visitors) and the beaches are great.

It is, so we should and they are!

Have a wonderful time treeman & daughter - Australia is what you make of it.
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  > Australia-The Lucky Country