Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Single Greatest Problem Damaging All American Politics      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Twilightslove
Msg: 47
view profile
History
The Single Greatest Problem Damaging All American PoliticsPage 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

So maybe he should get another job.

Just a thought.

And it is a good thought. He is looking for another job while working for this corporation. Texas has way too many low paying jobs though and he is looking for something better so it will take a bit longer to find.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 48
view profile
History
The Single Greatest Problem Damaging All American Politics
Posted: 9/5/2011 5:39:41 PM
What about the EPA that gets touted so highly by your side? Why not give them a call and have them actually do something good for a change, instead of wasting our tax dollars inventing ways to make it tougher for new business start ups and existing businesses to operate.

He handled the situation as well as he could. He told them he should report them to OSHA. They really don't want him to do that. They have way more violations then just the air quality.

When a person needs a job they need a job. You cannot live on air alone, now can you?
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 5:20:02 AM

When a person needs a job they need a job. You cannot live on air alone, now can you?

I agree 100%. I'd rather see people working. But I'm not the one who usually spouts off things like a tadpole that is near extinction is more important than a bunch of farmers getting water to their farms. That having unions and 25% of the work force getting laid off is more important than not having unions. That taxing corporations 28-38% is more important than keeping jobs in the country. You know, those ideal job creation methods democrats are so fond of. But you can't say I didn't offer on option. I guess it's what is more important to the guy breathing that air, isn't it? But not according to the EPA.........
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2011 5:07:18 PM
Notice the differences, though? The earlier stimulus was given to the people, and it worked. The Obama stimulas was payback to those who elected him and hardly worked.

If Obama was smart, and wanted to ensure re-election next term, he should get another stimulus package together and give it directly to the people. Then Americans (besides union road crews) would get some real relief and maybe the economy would get better, for a little while anyway.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:41:30 AM
Ready, do you think the GOP, who have blocked damn near everything Obama or the Dems have put forth, (even things the GOP themselves have endoursed before Obama agreed with them), would pass anything like this?

Honestly? I don't know.

But I'd hope a plan that gave money directly to the people would be so popular at this time, that the GOP wouldn't dare risk the backlash of not going along with it. As for the plan all those in the know are saying Obama is going to propose......it's hard for people to get excited about the potholes getting fixed when their cars are being repossessed. And it's hard to get excited about new construction when your house is being foreclosed on. You'd think a guy as smart as Obama would figure that out. I truly hope he has a better plan up his sleeve than what is getting leaked by those "in the know". But I'm doubting it.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2011 9:58:48 AM
Even without all these charts below it has always been apparent that wages and other benefits have been sorely lacking in America, yet the politicians never do anything to change this. It is really time that REAL changes be made in this country before we dissolve into a third world status.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speedup-americans-working-harder-charts

You don't have to be affiliated with any political party to realize that things are totally out of line with success in this country. I believe it was George Carlin who said "It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it".

Get past these political party lines and take a look at the above charts to get a better picture of what is really going on.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2011 12:06:09 AM
Speaking of brainwashing, I have been driving by a church marquee lately that say "Nuclear Iran The Movie" and requests people to come see it at a certain time. I don't remember the specifics yet I find it appalling that this preacher/dentist is determined to sway his congregation to vote republican on the fear that Iran has nuclear weapons. Sadly his congregation had elderly couples there the only time I attended that particular church and using fear tactics ESPECIALLY in a church is just so wrong.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 9/30/2011 6:00:45 AM
This is what scares me:

preacher/dentist

First he fills you with the fear of God, then he fills your teeth?

He cleanses your spirit for free, and your teeth for a nominal charge.......

A side of floss with the communion wafers (only if he's a Catholic priest, of course).
 trinity818
Msg: 55
Posted: 11/9/2011 4:52:45 PM

Who are we to decide who can or cannot have them?

Who in their right mind would EVER advocate nukes for Iran? It has nothing to do with the history of who bombed whom and why. Nothing whatsoever to do with "moral high ground". It has everything to do with CURRENT events and mid-eastern activities. Do you think for one minute that the Saudis want an atomic Iran?

If it was a bunch of fundamentalist Christians building a nuclear bomb, would you still say the same thing? Then why is it OK for radical muslims to build one? Your hypocrisy is blatent.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-11-09/iran-bomb-report-shows-need-for-sanctions-with-more-teeth-view.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/08/world/meast/iran-nuclear/?hpt=hp_t2

And what the hell does all of this have to do with "The Single Greatest Problem Damaging All American Politics"?
 trinity818
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/10/2011 5:19:22 AM
Based on the rhetoric that comes out of Ahmadinejad's mouth, I think they are capable of just about anything. They don't communicate like rational people. And frankly, I disagree about just how crazy they are.

My point about the Saudis was simply that Western governments are not the only ones concerned. Nobody in the middle east wants a nuclear Iran either.

It's only Russia, China and North Korea that don't give a sh!t. What a surprise. The very same ones who assisted Iran with the technology. Gee...maybe THEY want the black gold.

I would prefer to see all nuclear weapons banned. I think if Iran continues down this path, eventually there will be VERY serious consequences for everyone.
 trinity818
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/10/2011 8:50:40 AM

You want to equate all of Iran with one political loudmouth?

Well gee, since he is the only one handing out opinions for them, whom else should we be listening to?

Political demogouges frequently say stupid shit

Umm yeah, like the holocaust never happened (talk about re-writing history) and on 9/11 we fvcking attacked ourselves? That goes waaaay beyond stupid shit.

What goes on in the Middle East is not our damn business.

OMG. I actually agree with you about something. Unfortunately, you are missing my entire point. But, I probably failed to explain it properly. NOBODY in the entire world wants a nuclear Iran, excepting those mentioned.

Because 2 of those 3 nations have a vested interest in preventing, or at the very least slowing, American Imperialism. Go figure!

And the way to do that is helping Iran get nukes? That makes no sense whatsoever to me. Perhaps you'd care to explain your POV.

Sorry, but you're wrong

You're entitled to your opinion. Just as I am. I would prefer you end up right in this case.

And please, don't get started with any backpack nuke nonsense, I beg you.

WTF does that even mean?
 trinity818
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/10/2011 10:00:44 AM
Actually, I do read Al Jazeera. My point was that Ahmanutjob is the talking head FOR the Mullahs and Ayatollahs. You state that he doesn't speak for the nation. I disagree. He represents their government and says and does what he is instructed to. You actually believe he speaks only for himself? Yeah, sure he does... I'm sure he has complete freedom of speech. I understand the populace may not agree (as would be the norm), but they would not be in control of the nukes.

Iran has been working on their nukes looooong before we attacked Iraq. If they were concerned about self defense, it was moreso because of Saddam Hussein and Israel. And you side-stepped the entire question regarding why China and Russia would help help them. Why the hell would they care if we destroy ourselves attempting to invade a country like Iran?

Now, what country has invaded and occupied two sovereign nations, decimated their people, infrastructures and economies, based mostly on outright lies?

In this statement, you CLEARLY state that we invaded and occupied Afghanistan based mostly on an outright lie. That is complete and utter bullcrap and is blatently disingenuous. Do you actually think that we should not have retaliated for 9/11? Why do you libs continuously lump them together when they are obviously completely different events? And please, I beg of you, try to come back with an actual reason instead of "Well, Bushwacky said...."
 trinity818
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/10/2011 10:54:24 AM

"you libs"
Just when I thought we'd achieved mutual self respect. *sigh*

Really now, Blade. That's almost funny. You engage in using cutesy labels and name-calling in an on-going basis. There is nothing offensive about the term "you libs". There were no adjectives added.
 whiskeypapa
Msg: 60
Posted: 11/10/2011 6:49:58 PM
A little history. When the US destroyed the Taraki government and the US backed Mujahadeen drove the Soviets from Afghanistan a period of anarchy ensued. The power vacuum was filled by Talibs, students from the Saudi Wahabi madrasses. They formed a government that was backed by the US who even paid their salaries.
American primacy in the region was going as planned until the Taliban chose an Argentinian firm over an American firm to build the Trans-Afghanistan pipeline . Their panties in a knot, the Americans tried bribes--they flew a group of Taliban to Texas and tried to wine and dine them. The puritanical Taliban were not impressed. They tried threats--"...if you refuse our carpet of gold, you will get a carpet of bombs!" The Taliban were bound by their word and would not change the contract. In the middle of August 2001 the US informed India and Pakistan that they were going to invade Afghanistan. The plans were laid, a group of Saudis provide the pretext and the blame was laid against a CIA asset Osama Bin Laden.
The invasion of Afghanistan was not justified, if revenge was the motive the US should have bombed Saudi America since the criminal act was carried out by Saudis, and since the event of 911 it was a criminal act it should have been handled by the police.
 cotter
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2011 10:06:36 PM

Iran has been working on their nukes looooong before we attacked Iraq.
So what? They have to do what's right for them.

No one said anything about Israel's "illegal" nukes. Lots of people seem to be just find and dandy with that.

I'm not as comfortable as the Xtians are with Israel as a (supposed) ally. They spy on us, they bomb our war ships, they torture our citizens ...

Do you actually think that we should not have retaliated for 9/11?
I don't think we should ever enter into any country ... no matter what ... with the idea of retaliating. It was not the citizens of Afghanistan who commanded those planes that day.

We did exactly what OBL wanted. How much do you think the "Dumbya" Oil Wars are costing us? You are aware (aren't you) that his goal was to send us down the path of economic ruin. And whadda ya know ... we did exactly what he wanted us to do. The US is damned predictable with their "superior" / "bring it on" attitude ... eh?

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/05/the-cost-of-bin-laden-3-trillion-over-15-years/238517/
The Cost of Bin Laden: $3 Trillion Over 15 Years
By Tim Fernholz & Jim Tankersley

May 7 2011, 10:06 AM ET 69

As we mark Osama bin Laden's death, what's striking is how much he cost our nation--and how little we've gained from our fight against him.
But that willingness may have given bin Laden exactly what he wanted. While the terrorist leader began his war against the United States believing it to be a "paper tiger" that would not fight, by 2004 he had already shifted his strategic aims, explicitly comparing the U.S. fight to the Afghan incursion that helped bankrupt the Soviet Union during the Cold War. "We are continuing this policy in bleeding America to the point of bankruptcy," bin Laden said in a taped statement. Only the smallest sign of Al-Qaida would "make generals race there to cause America to suffer human, economic, and political losses without their achieving anything of note other than some benefits for their private corporations." Considering that we've spent one-fifth of a year's gross domestic product--more than the entire 2008 budget of the United States government--responding to his 2001 attacks, he may have been onto something.

Imagine ... the most powerful military in the world is being taken to their knees. While I consider them for quite precious ... they're just not making the grade. They are nothing like our previous military... WWII & even Vietnam veterans.

My father got drafted for the duration (WWII). He and his fellow soldiers/sailors/fly-boys did a damn good job. They did not whine about being deployed for years at a time even though communication from home was only with "snail mail" about once a month. Likewise, my schoolmates were dependent on "snail mail" to and from Vietnam ... no calls from home, no "Facebook" messages, no email or instant messaging every night from the war zone.

One of America's biggest problems is their superiority complex. They think they can do anything they want and there will be no consequences. They think it's perfectly fine to go in and "shock & awe" the crap out of a sovereign nation ... bomb it flat ... ruin their whole infrastructure and murder their citizens (just "collateral damage" ... right?), poison their land and try to rob them of their natural resources.

Did you know they are now hot on the trail of the natural resources in Afghanistan? Afghanistan is apparently poised to become “the Saudi Arabia of lithium” — a metal used to produce gadgets like iPods and laptops. Any reason for the US not to want to plunder the natural resources there as they tried in Iraq?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/21/2012 12:27:58 PM
Mr. Obama has had a soft ride with the media, but I tip my hat to
Univision, whose people had the gall to be honest with our President.
With no script, out there all alone, he folded within two minutes.
I hope his team preps him well for the debates, this could be some
fascinating viewing, and very tough for his admirers to cut and splice,
which I have already heard from the Univision meeting.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/21/2012 4:38:43 PM
Mike - Let's do it, but let's do it live, on tv, with no edits.
Whatever you want asked, get it out there.
 matchlight
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 9/21/2012 5:07:26 PM

I believe this single most damaging issue in American politics is the amount of private corporate money we allow to be pumped into both sides. Anyone who thinks a candidate can receive millions of dollars from a private company or group, and not owe that candidate or group favors if elected, is fooling themselves.

I guess you know campaign contributions, including ones by corporations, unions, and other associations are speech protected by the First Amendment. And they have been for a long time. People don't lose their right to support candidates they like just by becoming members of associations. We already have both federal and state laws that regulate political contributions in a number of ways.
 matchlight
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 9/22/2012 11:03:45 AM

Second, I wonder how Mittens will do if Obama starts mentioning Mittens over 500 lies documented here:

Considering the fact Mr. Obama is a habitual, flagrant liar, I doubt that he'll be fool enough to open that can of worms. He might as well attack Mr. Romney's religion. That would open the door to hard questions about the twenty years Obama spent attending the sermons of Jeremiah "God damn America!" Wright, a man who blames this country for 9/11, hangs out with the Black Muslim anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan, and follows the quasi-Marxist "black liberation theology."
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/23/2012 12:29:54 PM
Mike, thanks for those shocking and shameful revelations.
Now, why don't you search out how many times campaign speeches
are "re-mixed" for network "news" broadcast..You know, we just turn UP
the cheers for the President's words, and turn DOWN the cheers for the
challenger.
Network news is all about fairness and reality, don't you agree?
The American people should know the truth, isn't that right, Mike?
 matchlight
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2012 7:22:06 PM
All you had to do was listen to Scott Ritter and Hans Blix, the chief weapons inspectors who reported there were no WMDs and that the Americans pulled them out rather than Houssein kicking them out.

Oh, I see. I wonder how they knew Iraq had none of those weapons, considering it was known to have had them before, and it had been three years and more since the last inspectors had left Iraq.

or that Iraq's attempt to obtain yellowcake were false

I know something about that, and I don't think it's at all clear Iraq was not trying to buy yellowcake in Africa.
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 68
Posted: 10/2/2012 8:22:19 AM
Skooch- I get my propaganda from Univision, and don't you feel just
a little odd when our own USA news media is asleep at the wheel?

Don't you wonder how many stories have been airbrushed to hide
the wrinkles, and how much you have been deprived of?
 427cammer
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 4:11:17 PM
Aristotle:

"The whole idea of the 'liberal media' was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures."
Bill Kristol

I'd say that if a left-leaning organisation builds a chart showing that the media is slanted to the right it should come as no surprise to anyone.

If Fox News built a chart showing the exact opposite would you be surprised?... or would you believe them?

I once had a poster here use the movie "The Insider" as conclusive proof that mainstream media is skewed to the right. The movie is about a story that "60 Minutes" wouldn't air in it's unaltered form because the owner of CBS also had control of the tobacco company that the news program wanted to do a negative piece on.

For myself, the fact that Hollywood thought it was such an extraordinary event when "60 Minutes" did not go after the corporations is what really stands out as indicative of which way the media leans.

A movie with a $90 million dollar budget starring Al Pacino and Russel Crowe... all put together to expose the one instance where "60 Minutes" did not go for the corporate kill shot (seven Academy Award nominations as well).... now why might I think the media has a liberal bias?
 427cammer
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 5:14:06 PM

The Pew Research Center is non partisan.

I know that's what they claim... they probably even believe it to be true.

Just a matter of perceptions.

I'm sure that some people believe that because "60 Minutes" once, in their 40 year history, did not go after a corporation is proof of a right wing bias.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2012 11:14:48 PM
a free press? they lean to the right? they lean to the left?
they are too liberal/conservative?

they put their own slant on things?

well after reading that the canadian human rights arseholes have declared that

THE TRUTH IS NO DEFENCE then why should any of the press tell the truth?

''Most people were astounded when they heard for the first time that our fundamental freedoms can be overruled by a quasi-judicial body that feels that something someone said was likely to have exposed another individual or group to hatred or contempt. That is right, the individual simply had to feel that it was likely to do this.''

''Under section 13 of the Canadian Human Rights Act, truth is not a defence and intent is not a defence. One no longer has the right to due process, the right to a speedy trial or the right to an attorney. It is alarming that until recently the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal had a 100% conviction rate. This is not a sign of vindication; rather, it neglects to acknowledge that 90% of defendants fail to obtain legal advice because they simply cannot afford it, while at the same time the legal costs of the plaintiffs are fully covered. This is simply un-Canadian.''

''As I have stated before, this is an issue for all Canadians. Freedom of speech is equally important whether one is in the opposition or the government. This is not an issue of blue versus orange or red. This is not an issue of right versus left. This is an issue of freedom, transparency and balance for all Canadians.

With that, I would like to challenge all members to look beyond the intent of section 13 of the Canadian Human Rights Act and truly examine its structure and implications and consider what we, as a free and democratic country, are willing to give up. It is time to take a stand to protect our fundamental freedoms and ensure that our children and future Canadians are not denied these basic rights through unnecessary censorship and bureaucracy.''

http://openparliament.ca/debates/2012/5/30/brian-storseth-1/only/
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  > The Single Greatest Problem Damaging All American Politics