Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Literacy: Is it important to you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 82
Literacy: Is it important to you?Page 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
^^^^ My guess is that even though George W spoke like he had a brain injury the majority of the American people must have overlooked what he appeared to be on the outside and believed he was a man of substance - he had substance alright in fact he was he was full of it IMO...

And he gave us a summation of his terms in office "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004 "

Out_of_the_Ash
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Literacy: Is it important to you?
Posted: 4/22/2011 11:07:13 PM
It absolutely is.

In fact in my profile I have stated this:

"Please don't bother contacting me if you have poor grammar and spelling and can't be bothered to do anything about it. Especially if you are actually attempting to get anywhere with a woman. It's as sexy as talking to someone with a severe developmental disability".

This was added after I had spoken with one too many grown adult men whose typing skills would be outdone by a chimp.
 scottey63
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2011 7:15:42 AM
I see this thread is doing nicely, so I'm going add another rant.

If you are weeding people out for "text speak", boy, good luck to you! If that is a relationship ender to you, I'd hate to see your reaction to some real problem!

Yes, the textspeak is one of the biggest turn-offs, especially since some the most annoying textspeak words are substitutes for the shortest words, such as "u" (you), "2" (to), "4" (for), "r" (are), and "b4" before. Is it really so hard to type these words out?

The next level is the simple words that people just simply seem to have forgotten how they're spelled, or don't care to try, such as:

To and too
There, their, and they're
Woman and women

None of these are typos. I don't begrudge anyone the occasional typo.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 85
Posted: 4/23/2011 11:52:24 AM
^^^^^ Amen.... I won't read anyones post who writes like that either! If they aren't going to put the effort into typing it all the way out then what they have to say must not be worth THEIR effort....so it's not worth mine to read either!

The other thing that drives me nuts is repetitively not capitalizing their "I's".
 honeycognac
Msg: 86
Posted: 4/23/2011 4:55:13 PM
other common mistakes that make me gnash my teeth

loose instead of lose - I see this in the forums all the time
dinning out instead of dining out - in profiles - no such word as dinning!

signed
the spelling Nazi (I know, I know but like Lady Gaga says, I was "born this way")
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/23/2011 5:14:21 PM
Shame on you honeycognac, no capitals and a lack of periods in your last post - tsk tsk if you are going to be a Nazi it should start with yourself.
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/23/2011 5:19:13 PM
"Off of"

IE: "He fell off of a bridge."

Argggh! It's "He fell OFF a bridge."

Yes, literacy is important!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2011 5:21:50 PM
Shame on you honeycognac, no capitals and a lack of periods in your last post - tsk tsk if you are going to be a Nazi it should start with yourself.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. My SO spells lose and loose wrong a lot in emails but I sometimes tease him about typos and other times I know he is just writing in a hurry and let it go. I often tease my sister about the misuse of sense and since and she still does it. She'll even correct herself when she had it right the first time.lol I was typing an email tonight when I noticed I had used the wrong one too. That is why I usually double check my writing before I hit send.
 honeycognac
Msg: 90
Posted: 4/23/2011 5:55:11 PM
They are all sentence fragments except for - there should be a period after the word time.
You caught me. Mea culpa. How embarrassing. I don't quite qualify for grammar Nazi.

Padawan61
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 4/23/2011 10:15:42 PM
There's a gal on the forums who writes in lower-case. At first, I didn't understand why and thought it was a bit strange ... until she explained that she's emulating the writing style of a certain poet. Now, I find her lower-case writing to be quite cute. No literacy problems at all. In fact, her writing is articulate and eloquent ... which causes certain people from her past to descend into a jealous rage because they can't compete with her.
 majyk1
Msg: 92
Posted: 4/23/2011 11:17:58 PM
" we all type short handed in text messaging dont we?"

Umm Hell NO, we don't ALL do this. If I'm texting (which is seldom) I type out all the words, even "you".
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 93
Posted: 4/23/2011 11:37:02 PM

"Off of"

IE: "He fell off of a bridge."

Argggh! It's "He fell OFF a bridge."

Yes, literacy is important!

I've observed otherwise literate posters misspell the word, "prerogative" as "perogative". If they're going to use such a big showy word, they could at least learn to spell it correctly. Sheesh...

Another spelling error that really grates on my nerves is using "passed" instead of "past". Whenever I see that, I have to wonder how they got past the third grade?
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 94
Posted: 4/24/2011 1:28:24 PM
May people who travel do not end up experiencing another culture in any depth - if all they do is stay withing the well sanitized and protected confines of a resort. So they will not necessarily become more literate or more open minded as a result of travel. From what I see of the way many people travel they could become more informed and open minded by staying in the comfort of their own home or library and studying another culture through the media. A person actually has to make a point of experiencing something new and different on a holiday and that usually entails a bit of a risk to their comfort and securtiy which many travellers do not have a taste for.
 happybunny8
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/24/2011 2:08:21 PM
I have friends of ALL ages and quite a few under 35 who use full sentences while texting.

It's obvious there are enough of us that value an effort in their writing. And some don't care. This is why we don't date everyone we see.

And this means that we like posts and emails that show some semblance of understanding. Everyone makes mistakes, but an email or post loaded with errors due to negligence is fracking annoying!

Note, when dealing with people whose mother tongue is not english, this doesn't apply, but let me tell you that a man who IS putting some effort will mention this in the 1st or 2nd email.

I've seen a few profiles from francophones where the english wasn't that great, but the serious ones tend to state that right on the profile.
 Laha Math
Msg: 97
Posted: 4/25/2011 4:45:57 PM
OP: Literacy is important to me. Writing as one who loves to see his words in print, knowing they will float around in cyberspace for eternity, and loves also to hear himself talk, I empathize. I think we are much alike, n'est pas? As are so many who spend their time posting in online forums.

I insist on good grammar and vocabulary in the heat of passion. I can only get turned on by a partner who talks dirty in the subjunctive. It's even better if she's literate and passes notes.

Only the written word is literate. These forums are by definition literate. On the other hand Plenty of fish is only slightly literate. It's the photos which are important. Who reads profiles? Illiterate people can quickly turn to the telephone to avoid writing. Many have voiced that very preference. Literacy is not important to the functioning of Plenty of Fish.

Shakespeare has been invoked. He was not particularly literate. He lived in an oral society. Few could read or write. His words were spoken, not read. It was by accident that his stage notes were preserved. The English language was still under development. There were no dictionaries. A standard Bible, the only book in most homes for generations to come, was only recently produced. Literacy was in its infancy. No doubt OP could write rings around him.
 taninva
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/26/2011 8:35:05 AM
Unless you're trying to date an 8 year old of course literacy is important. It is the worst when people send you messages that don't make any sense. One can only assume they must have dropped out of school very early. The choice to be illiterate is not something I want in a partner.

When people say "plz" because it's shorter than "please" I say "no" because it's shorter than "yes".
 scottey63
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2011 10:35:42 AM
Oh, and I forgot "ur" (your).

And "should of" (should have).

Thank you, Irish Eyez.

1234deleted1234
Msg: 100
Posted: 4/26/2011 11:19:19 AM

Now I know men that use the English language perfectly... but they are TOTAL f&Cken ***holes.

Well, you don't know me personally!
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 101
Posted: 4/26/2011 11:27:53 AM
Well, it's a pretty dumb thing to argue over this. Some of us put a high emphasis and grammar and intelligence, some people don't. It's everyone's choice and different people value different things. It's pretty sad when I've been yelled at for saying articulation is important to me. But, it my choice, so deal with it. Everyone is different. I'd take literacy over fitness any day.
 GerberData
Msg: 102
Posted: 4/26/2011 4:03:09 PM
ChillinChill

EXACTLY. I think we have found some of those a......

I look at it the other way: if you are criticizing someone for their writing ability above so many more important traits, you're likely the one THEY should pass by.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 103
Posted: 4/27/2011 10:34:39 AM
^^^^ Hey! I'm a cheesehead and I resemble that remark!
Some of us cheeseheads do put a lot of importance on literacy and intelligence, but we're the ones who think Brett Favre is a total traitor.
It's funny how those of us who seek intelligence are automatically called a*holes by those who don't value smarts. Hmm, coincidence?? If you don't have it, don't bash us who want it in our matches, there's someone for everyone.
 pureblisscatch4u
Msg: 104
Posted: 4/27/2011 12:08:01 PM
I should've been more clear, that in general, some people get mad when some of us ask for someone articulate. I've gotten hate mail from guys when I had in my profile that I wanted full words written in emails and text speak was a huge turn-off. I mean really, why do some get so angry about having to write "you" instead of "u"? Texting has ruined a whole generation.
And yeah, I became grilled cheese down here when I moved for school. But, not being frozen 8 months a year has it's advantages.
 Casper66
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2011 11:44:41 PM
Got this message gem the other day:
hru
 abelian
Msg: 106
Posted: 4/28/2011 12:45:52 AM
Let’s put it this way - given an all or nothing choice, I’d take ANY one of the following characteristics in a partner BEFORE “literacy”.

How would you figure out if a person had any of those qualities if she wasn't literate enough to convey them through what she wrote in her profile? Take wit, for example. The most obvious clue that she's witty is a witty profile. Most of the qualities you list could be conveyed in a profile (other than the canonical unconvincing ``I want'' and ``I am'' list). Online, writing is how people communicate, so literacy is important if you want to communicate effectively. It doesn't matter what qualities you have if you can't get anyone to believe you have them.

I've gotten hate mail from guys when I had in my profile that I wanted full words written in emails and text speak was a huge turn-off. I mean really, why do some get so angry about having to write "you" instead of "u"?

Idk (Lol). Maybe they’re miffed that you’re imposing insignificant (their POV) conditions on them without getting to know them first.

It's probably more in how it was stated. I said the same thing in my profile, but in a much different way. I didn't demand that people write to me in a certain way. I piqued the interest of people who appreciated that I wrote that way. I didn't get any hate mail because of it, but I did get a lot of mail from people who were literate (including English teachers).
 theforumfiend
Msg: 107
Posted: 4/28/2011 2:58:02 PM
Especially for you OP:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11770363.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts11008313.aspx

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts12327266.aspx

There are just 3 of several examples for ya.

There are a few people on here that I truly respect, but have to disagree with. Intelligence is very important. Spelling and grammar are really nice too, but not a requirement.

I have friends that couldn't spell if their lives depended on it. One is a brilliant artist. She's a thrifty shopper. She has a home that looks like something from Better Homes and Gardens. She never ceases to amaze me with things she has made to improve her home or give as gifts. Had I judged her by her spelling we'd have never gotten beyond her first email. To this day I am glad I didn't. She has enriched my life in many ways.

My heart goes out to the Grammar Nazi and hope you are not judged as harshly as you judge.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Literacy: Is it important to you?