Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Literacy: Is it important to you?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 151
Literacy: Is it important to you?Page 9 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Those old white guys can keep their canons they so approve of, I got other better to do.

This made me laugh.

when the government in DC wants to plagerize and idolize Marx - the old works best be dusted off and paid attention to - failure to do so ... well we are all enjoying the consequences of that ; aren't we.
(And since they like Lenin too, it gets worse before it gets better)
You may think it is irrelevant - pity the dunderheads writing policy don't.
Want to know where it is headed, how it ends ? Lenin 'What is to be Done' is instructive Mandelstam - is a glaring warning of what is coming down the pike.
Those that fail to read the history, and literature of the past - get to enjoy the folly of their naivete ; and usually in large numbers.

Students are required to take history classes--again, they don't need to read ponderous Russian novels. There are factual accounts of historical events, eh?

My son just finished a political science class (required). He said while he didn't overwhelmingly enjoy the class, he learned a lot. He was teasing me about taking the final for him, and I replied that it had been decades since I had taken my own poly sci class. He began to cover the study questions and I was able to answer all of them. He said, "Well, you could take the final and ace it."

My years of experience and reading a wide VARIETY of literature, mostly nonfiction, gave me the understanding that I have.

I read Gone with the Wind several times and it gave me one biased slant on the Civil War, but in order to truly understand the era, I need(ed) to read nonfictional accounts of the time period--both concurrent and later analyses by experts removed by time from the action.

To understand any piece of literature, the reader needs to understand the time period and influences (personal and cultural) on the author. ****ns is better understood by knowing that his father was sentences to debtor's prison; knowing the societal standards and historical context any work is necessary.

You may think it is irrelevant - pity the dunderheads writing policy don't.

I see--the policy makers need to read Russian FICTION. I pity the person in Transylvania who reads the aforementioned novel by Margaret Mitchell and subsequently thinks that he/she has a total understanding of the Civil War.
 Jason B
Msg: 152
Literacy: Is it important to you?
Posted: 12/28/2011 8:23:45 AM
Many qualities are important to me, but I'm not perfect...who am I to judge?
 muse1969
Msg: 153
view profile
History
Posted: 12/29/2011 1:11:57 PM
I prefer to understand what I am being messaged, It’s bad enough I have to decipher what my daughter is conveying when she text. As an adult please keep it clear.
 Lars123
Msg: 154
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:00:02 PM
It would bother me if there grammar was so lousy that their was no way to decipher it. But that's they're problem, they have to go through life with that.

Maybe your being too picky. But that's you're right.

But than they're may come a time when you realize anything's better then nasty emails.

bamagrl68
Msg: 155
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:51:56 PM
Mysitque 305. Don't apologize for wanting someone with intelligence, I look for that too.
However, I will say that people aren't always thinking about being grammatically correct when they make their profiles.
Not to brag, but at my best, I could edit profiles if I wanted to, but I don't want to.
Don't overlook a gem because you are looking for flaw's. ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Literacy: Is it important to you?