Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 31
Bin Laden Page 2 of 25    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25)
Exerts from The Lede:

Q. Thank you. What is going to happen next? And what is the U.S. going to do with bin Laden's body?
SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: We are ensuring that it is handled in accordance with Islamic practice and tradition. This is something that we take very seriously. And so therefore this is being handled in an appropriate manner.

4:30 A.M. |Burial at Sea Followed Saudi Refusal to Accept Remains
As my colleagues Peter Baker, Mark Mazzetti and Helene Cooper report, American officials said that Osama bin Laden was buried at sea after being killed in a raid on his hiding place in Pakistan.
Soon after it was first reported that the Qaeda leader's body was in U.S. custody after the raid, Blake Hounshell, the managing editor of Foreign Policy magazine, pointed out on Twitter that any burial site would likely become a shrine of sorts.
American officials told CBS News that the Saudi government had been "unwilling to have his remains repatriated."

Do we now get to say that people that don't believe bin Laden's death are not patriotic???
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 32
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:39:02 AM
I had to laugh...Fox is saying that we murdered "Obama" bin Laden...

I wondered where the murder comment came from...yes, we murdered Obama bin Laden...

It seems that that muderous President of ours has been seeking Obama bin Laden since the onset of his Presidency...and a mere 2/12 years later got him...something the prior administration decided wasn't a priority.

From The Lede:

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL: Thanks for joining us, everybody, at this late hour. It's much appreciated. From the outset of the administration, the President has placed the highest priority in protecting the nation from the threat of terrorism. In line with this, we have pursued an intensified, targeted, and global effort to degrade and defeat al Qaeda. Included in this effort has been a relentless set of steps that we've taken to locate and bring Osama bin Laden to justice. Indeed, in the earliest days of the administration, the President formally instructed the intelligence community and his counterterrorism advisors to make the pursuit of Osama bin Laden, as the leader of al Qaeda, as a top priority.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 11:14:32 AM
I don't believe in capital punishment. I do support this action as I understand it to have played out. I don't find those views in conflict. I don't embrace the 'liberal' moniker but acknowledge that conservatives would certainly label me liberal for many of my views.

From the moment 9/11 happened, and I was just a few hundred yards from the Pentagon at that moment, I viewed the attack as an act of war. As details became clear, I did NOT view it as an act of war by Afghanistan or Iraq and vehemently opposed both invasions, but I always supported vigorously pursuing the individuals directly responsible. THAT was who we were at war with, in my view. I don't believe it's possible to declare war on a tactic or philosophy. I do believe in acts of war by individuals and entities and the right of attacked countries to respond aggressively against those individuals and entities.

Had we had the opportunity to capture Bin Laden and try him as a war criminal I'd have been fine with that. That being the case I would not have supported a death sentence for him. As I understand the particulars of this raid, Bin Laden was given the opportunity to surrender and refused. Maybe that happened, maybe it didn't. Regardless, our people were under fire and as part of the firefight killed Bin Laden and several other people. That happens in a firefight, and is completely different than the controlled circumstances of a trial and deliberate judgment about the fate of those convicted.

I've also read that this was always intended as a mission to kill Bin Laden, and I suppose that ought to give me some pause, but honestly it doesn't. I'm naive or hopeful enough to think that had Bin Laden thrown up his hands and yelled "I surrender!" our forces would have taken him prisoner.

Overall I find a world of difference between taking out the architect and leader of a mass killing in the course of apprehending him and deliberately condemning average criminals to death at the discretion of a judge or jury.

We elect our President to make difficult decisions during difficult times, and Obama did just that by authorizing this action. My gut tells me it was the right thing to do, and that given what I know about the circumstances I would have made the same decision given the opportunity.

And yet I'll continue to protest capital punishment as a component of our criminal justice system. If that makes me a hypocrite in the eyes of some I understand that, but it works for me.

Dave
 MsMicki
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 11:47:52 AM
I prefer the burial at sea to bringing his ass to US soil!!
He's right where he deserves to be........in no man's land.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 11:52:26 AM
One important caution I commend to EVERYONE: the news reports that many of us are basing our reactions on here and elsewhere, are NOT DEFINITIVE AND COMPLETE. News releases almost never are. What is and is not a true part of this episode is still shifting rapidly.

Some early reports said he was hit by a drone. Then it came out that Navy Seals took him out. First we had the body, then it was already gone, burial at sea. First it all happened a week ago, and then it was Friday.

Just fricken WAIT, before you reel off condemnations or suspicions. Go ahead and be concerned, and do pay attention to the reports, but NOTICE that the reports are changing rapidly, and vary according to where they are coming from.
This is the nature of news reporting, ESPECIALLY about something that was conducted as a secret operation in a foreign country full of people who really don't like us all that much. Our own politics is going to muck up which SUPPOSITIONS get reported as FACTS by this or that biased news show. The drive to "get the story first" will, as usual, cause reporters to say that they "learned" something and confirmed it, when actually they overheard another reporter WONDER about it, and they asked someone if THEY also heard something, and when that person admitted to overhearing the same thing, it hit the airwaves as confirmed fact. That has happened in the past, with other situations, and is bound to be happening right now.
 rpl55
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 12:44:30 PM
igorfrankensteen said:

One important caution I commend to EVERYONE: the news reports that many of us are basing our reactions on here and elsewhere, are NOT DEFINITIVE AND COMPLETE.

Thank you!

Why do you suppose so many people are so willing to believe whatever they're told? Why would anybody believe the government and its media? And why are so many talking heads repeating the lie that Osama was responsible for 9/11? The FBI has never thought Osama responsible - check out what he's wanted for on his FBI most wanted poster.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten/usama-bin-laden

Not 9/11 - the FBI has stated that they have found NO evidence linking Osama to 9/11, yet the talking heads, and our pathological liar president, keep pushing the propaganda - and the sheeple believe. Baaaaa-baaaaa.

What a disgrace the american people have become.

RPL
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 38
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 1:01:59 PM
I heard on the news he had a bullet to the head after refusing to surrender.

Buried at sea; yes, I heard, yet no pic of his body.
 MsMicki
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 2:49:37 PM

You're more than welcome to give up your citizinship....and everything that citizinship entails.......and go live in another country....

I don't give a rat's ass which "FigureHead" is sitting in the Oval Office......
our Troops are out there defending our Country and deserve our gratitude and loyalty
for doing so!
Our Troops are the one's putting their lives on the line every day.....and are the one's that did so to give us something to hold onto with the death of Bin Laden.
Who cares if Obama gave the order for political reasons......becasue the justice it has instilled in the American people is worth it. No, it doesn't bring our loved ones we lost on 9/11 back.....but it sure feels good to know that man has finally payed for the dispicable acts he has organized in his country....and ours.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:09:28 PM
The vast majority of the dead, wounded, maimed, terrorized, traumatically stressed and poisoned since 9/11 had nothing to do with 9/11. Likewise the trillions of dollars expended since then were expended for the much desired Afghan pipeline from the Caspian Sea, and to fight off Iraq leading the charge to use the Euro, their oil fields, and the delusions of little Bush fueled by the PNAC agenda. Bush's quotes of 2002 about not caring about bin Laden were telling. Perhaps even lil Bush knew then that bin Laden had little to do with the alleged al Quaeda attacks on us. Why extend the courtesy of flying the bin Laden family out of the US during the no-fly days following? The whole narrative presented to the American people and the world since then has reeked of propaganda, full of holes and inconsistencies, not to mention all the 935 lies toward the Iraq attack.

As usual, Chris Hedges has one of the more honest assessments of the mythology in which we operate as Nationalists/Empire.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/chris_hedges_speaks_on_osama_bin_ladens_death_20110502/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Some explanations of a crime are not explanations: they're part of the crime." - Olavo de Cavarlho
 curlygrl
Msg: 41
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:15:18 PM
Sleep next to an American Soldier
who screams out at night because of the
dreams he is left with after witnessing
the atrocities of this war.

Thank him on the street for giving some
of your dumbasses the right to question
what he was commanded to do.

Give him a job so he can support his family
and not live in poverty after he comes home
to give you the freedom to mock him
for following orders.

Live in his shoes for one day and you
will be glad this animal sleeps with the fishes.

His life is done- these men and women
fight for your freedom of speech and you
being able to sleep at night so that no one
hurts you or your family.

Thank the wife or partner who lives this horror
with him for allowing her mate to protect you.

Yes it's a job- but if he or she did not do it we
would be destroyed by these predators.

Thank you President Obama for honoring
president Bushs promise to bring this barbaric
man to justice.

I do not celabrate his death- I weep for the consequences
that will now bestow the American and all
coalition soldiers fighting for peace.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 42
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 4:52:29 PM
While I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, I highly doubt Bin Laden was killed so much as taken into custody. If I was waging a war, I'd state that he was dead to break moral, but it is plainly logical that he was worth more alive than dead. It just doesn't seem logical to kill someone who may have intimate knowledge of another attack.

Either way, he got what he deserved and the victim's families can rest a little easier tonight.
 curlygrl
Msg: 43
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:07:26 PM
They ransacked the compound and took
all the hard drives and probably other stuff.

Don't forget- there were other people in the house
they get to question now too.

He was too much of a liability to be taken
alive and what I understand from news reports,
he used one of his wives as a human shield.

She told the men that he was who he was by
calling out his name.

There was no way he would be taken alive
by Americans. He would have put a bullet
in his own head. All those young lives lost
over his extreme teachings.

I remember 9/11 when they spoke to
some of the families of those young men.
They could not believe they were thier sons
and could not come to grips with thier own
taking others lives.

So sad. All the way around. So much pain.

His burial at sea was a given since his homeland
had banished him a long time ago and seriously
do you think anyone in his organization
was going to claim his body and set themselves
up like that.

He is now thier martyr. Like all the others he
talked into killing themselves for his God.

I bet his virgins are a bunch of old catholic nuns.

Would serve them right too being how mean
nuns are. Well were when I was in school.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 44
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:32:10 PM
Where's my gawddayum tinfoil helmet when I need it....these dayum radio waves from outter space keep on getting thru and I can't find my helmet....here's another message I just recieved....Elvis and bin Laden were just spotted at the craps tables at Ceasar's Palace!!!
 daynadaze
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:34:06 PM

Oh please, tell me more about how it use to be.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:43:11 PM
"They are great workers ... in 8 hours they killed Osama, identified him as Osama, contacted the Saudi's where he was rejected ... took DNA ... cleaned and buried and held service. All this in a place where there aren't any cell phone or internet service. Uh huh."

Bin Laden didn't have phones or internet. I'm reasonably sure that the American Special Forces DO have such things. You are being silly. Apparently, you think that the U.S. government, the CIA, and the Special Forces all do what ever it is they do on the spur of the moment, with NO prior planning or preparation what so ever.

And the story is still coming out, we don't KNOW what happened, we don't even know everything that these (I think imaginary) evil deceivers WANT us to believe happened, yet.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 5:46:00 PM
My pastor told me that Vietnam was a "just war against god-less commies" and I would go to heaven no matter how many I killed. Still killing them today as unexploded ornance goes off while they are farming or recycling metals under their soils. I feel so patriotic.
 curlygrl
Msg: 48
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 6:57:40 PM
Yeah we are the bad guys.

Your comment is very distasteful and we have the
burial plots full of foolish men and women
who have given thier lives so that others
who are not Americans can be free to prove it.

Yup Mass murders. That's us.

I hope you never need us.

Op- nice thread.
 MsMicki
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 7:46:08 PM

I'd never want to be American!

If you think your government has never terrorized or killed an obscene amount of innocent civilians perhaps you should give your head a shake!!

Too bad millions of others don't want to be an American.......maybe all these illegals would go to Canada instead!
You do realize you have troops in Afganistan.......right?
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 50
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 7:48:39 PM
Igor - I was being silly but my point still holds. The stories don't add up. Something happened in Pakistan - what exactly? Will we ever really know?

Actually those of US in the know, would "Prefer Not to Say" to you, otherwise, we may hafta..

Don't be surprised if several more of Al Quidas top lieutenants heads will roll this month, as well as a few high Pakistani Intelligence officials who will have been outed by the data Osama kept in his compound..

From the huge stash of medicine on his dresser, we can surmise his health wasn't the best, and he wouldn't have been around forever..
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 51
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 7:57:49 PM
Well if the world thinks we're bad....more for it.
Plenty of crazies still out there.

Foreign folks now know that if one nutter gets out of line....
and gets us all riled....
we can and will just tromp all thru any continent.
and blow stuff up willy nilly.
for aaaaasssss loooooong as it takes.

Yeah, we bad.
So world best leave us be.
so we stay home.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 53
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/2/2011 10:00:37 PM
Which would make anyone that condemned the celebrations after 9/11 and participated in celebrating Bin Ladens death a hypocrite.

Well, I didn't "condemn" the celebrations, but I was taken aback a bit. So MUCH hate. But I don't have much trubble seeing the difference between 3,000 civilians being targeted, and taking out the one who planned those deaths, and bragged about doing so. Sometimes, payback's a bitch. But I don't see hypocrisy here. Sorry.

fryan
Msg: 55
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/3/2011 2:43:44 AM
Bin Laden is on video tape admitting to planning 9/11. Members of an organization, in which he is the head of, carried out the attacks.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 56
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/3/2011 4:29:58 AM
September 11 attacks
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The FBI investigation into the attacks, code named operation PENTTBOM, was the largest and most complex investigation in the history of the FBI, involving over 7,000 special agents. The United States government determined that al-Qaeda, headed by Osama bin Laden, bore responsibility for the attacks, with the FBI stating "evidence linking al-Qaeda and bin Laden to the attacks of September 11 is clear and irrefutable". The Government of the United Kingdom reached the same conclusion regarding al-Qaeda and Osama bin Laden's culpability for the 11 September attacks.

But of course there’s always someone who knows more:

Author Laurie Mylroie, writing in the conservative political magazine The American Spectator in 2006, argues that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and his family are the primary architects of 9/11 and similar attacks, and that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's association with Osama bin Laden is secondary and that al-Qaeda's claim of responsibility for the attack is after the fact and opportunistic.[94] In an opposing point of view, former CIA officer Robert Baer, writing in Time magazine in 2007, asserts that George W. Bush Administration's publicizing of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed's claims of responsibility for 9/11 and numerous other acts was a mendacious attempt to claim that all of the significant actors in 9/11 had been caught
 Island home
Msg: 57
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/3/2011 5:17:29 AM

I bet his virgins are a bunch of old catholic nuns.

Would serve them right too being how mean
nuns are. Well were when I was in school.

Wonder how many suicide bombers would have withdrawn their services if this had been made know via pamphlet drops
 cookie22222
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Bin Laden
Posted: 5/3/2011 5:59:46 AM
Of course we're never going to know every detail. Does that mean there's some huge conspiracy? I don't think so.

And hey - to all the posts about those awful Americans out murdering, etc. Now that I think about it - I agree!!! Next time there's some huge world calamity, or insurrection, instead of bailing the world's butt out - we'll stay home and take care of our own...

I'm sure that would make everyone happy, right?
Show ALL Forums  > Current Events  >