Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > My computer keeps switching itself off.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Holly63
Msg: 26
My computer keeps switching itself off.Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
My computer has been playing up again..... Grrrrrr.

Leaving the side cover off all this time has resulted in dust, lots of dust, covering the motherboard etc. (I created a thread recentkly about demolition of a house next door to me, which is causing horrendoues amounts of dust and dirt and God knows what else flying around).

The MB and fans were choked up, so I carefully vacuumed it all out and so far so good. Cover is now replaced to prevent further dust contamination.

Now that the cover is back on and hard drive securely fixed into place, if my computer decides to switch itsself off again , I'll surely need further IT advice. xxxxxx
 UnixGrand
Msg: 27
view profile
History
My computer keeps switching itself off.
Posted: 6/2/2011 12:29:50 PM
The dust can still enter the box from one of the intake fans on the case. You should really wear a face mask if the dust is that bad. Never mind your computer..... Your health is more important.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/2/2011 2:14:59 PM

if my computer decides to switch itsself off again , I'll surely need further IT advice

That's fine, glad you cleaned out the dust from the fans.. Did you clean it out of the heatsink that is the aluminum fins covering the cpu?
You see that fan in the middle of picture #6? Underneath it is the heatsink, and dust can sometimes completely clog it to where the cpu overheats..
I use compressed air to blow out ALL the dust from it, with the computer off and unplugged.

Let us tech types know what other issues you may have with your computer, we've been through most all of them before..
 Holly63
Msg: 29
Posted: 6/4/2011 5:54:21 PM
Thanks again, guys. TALL-IQ2..... I never thought of the heatsink. I removed that fan you described and sure enough, the heatsink was badly clogged and even mildly greasy.

Lets see if NOW it decides to behave!! .....
 Collective_Soul
Msg: 30
Posted: 6/11/2011 8:26:45 AM
10+ year Symantec employee here. Actually, "technically" a file doesn't have to be an .exe to be considered a virus. What determines a virus, is if the file in question contains malicious code. Viruses typically use both .dlls and .exe files, but again, the file type has less to do with being a virus. It's what kind of code is in the file when determining what is and isn't a virus.
 Collective_Soul
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/11/2011 8:34:06 AM
Holly, if you took the heat sync off of the CPU to clean it, you will need to put some thermal paste on the CPU/heat sync before you replace it or it will continue to overheat. Thermal paste is the white pasty stuff you see on top of the CPU and on the bottom of the heat sync when you take it off the CPU. If you didn't remove it, I'm thinking the cleaning will help a lot with the over heating problem.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2011 11:31:09 AM

10+ year Symantec employee here. Actually, "technically" a file doesn't have to be an .exe to be considered a virus. What determines a virus, is if the file in question contains malicious code. Viruses typically use both .dlls and .exe files, but again, the file type has less to do with being a virus. It's what kind of code is in the file when determining what is and isn't a virus.

I've used Norton for 15 years. I've never gotten a virus. Dynamic Link Libraries, or an executable are mainly in Windows. This is why Linux, Unix, and Solaris are pretty impervious to virii. But their are some cases in the latter operating systems. Most hackers don't know how to code properly in anything other than Windows. Also Windows runs on 80%, or more on people's computers. Hats off to you Symantec people. Keep up the good work!

Holly, if you took the heat sync off of the CPU to clean it, you will need to put some thermal paste on the CPU/heat sync before you replace it or it will continue to overheat. Thermal paste is the white pasty stuff you see on top of the CPU and on the bottom of the heat sync when you take it off the CPU. If you didn't remove it, I'm thinking the cleaning will help a lot with the over heating problem.

Use the silver arctic thermal paste. It works way better to dissipate heat than the white silicon one.
 Holly63
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/19/2011 7:23:51 AM
Hey all. Been on holiday for a while and just got home today.

My computer has apparently been working perfectly since I've been away but i will surely look into thermal paste as a precaution against further overheating of the heat sink.

My house-sitter unbelieavebly moved my delicate computer IN FRONT of my heater "because she thought keeping it warm would make it better and stop the insides from freezing" OMG!!!! (Its Winter here in OZ.) I was horrified.

I'm hijacking my own thread here.........Something's wrong now with my AVG. System says critical, 475 Trojens found and I cant access FB amoung other apps. *rolls eyes*...... Seems I need help again....a new thread coming shortly. My nightmare continues.....
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/19/2011 4:45:19 PM
AVG. System says critical, 475 Trojens found and I cant access FB amoung other apps

Holly, you want my educated guess?
Your "house-sitter" was ON your computer, going on many bad websites until one of them infected your computer with trojans or a rogue AV.

Look closely at that popup saying you are "infected".. It MAY be a rogue trojan itself, there IS one that presents a fake popup claiming to be AVG something or other..

Restart your computer in SAFE mode by repeatedly tapping F8 right after power-on.

choose Safe mode with networking.. Then install Malwarebytes free version, search malwarebytes.org for the free version, download, install and update it. The REAL Malwarebytes AV will find most any real trojans you have on your computer with a fullscan.
 Holly63
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/10/2011 4:26:42 PM
....Continuing on with my thread rather than creating a new one.....

Well, after weeks of my computer deciding to swith off again, a dear friend of mine looked at the MB and did, indeed, see 4 capacitors out of shape. One was unbelieavably bent right over and upon straightening it up , it snapped off!!!

So he bought me a brand new computer yesterday. The brand is "eMachines". I've never heard of such a brand. It has Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, a 500 gig hard drive and 4 gig of RAM. Its twice as fast as my old PC and I love it.

The computer was a "package"including monitor, keyboard and mouse. The monitor is smaller than the one I already have so I'm using my existing monitor instead of the new one. Thing is, the screen resolution is set to recommended but the text and graphics is too narrow - making everything look long...if you know what I mean.

Question.....Is this because I'm using a different monitor? How can I fix this?

Thanks guys, for any advice. xxx
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/10/2011 5:19:22 PM
HA! I tried to get you to at least LOOK at the capacitors....but no.......everyone said power supply, hard drive etc....all that cost money to replace...to find out that wasn't the problem...LOOKING at capacitors is simple and free!
 Holly63
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/10/2011 6:45:59 PM
Yup. I was taking advice from many posters as well as yours. Anyway, my friend snapped one off, so felt compelled to buy me a new PC.

What do you think about my screen resolution prob? Should I use the monitor which came with the package? Also, have you ever heard of "ë machines"?
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/10/2011 7:22:06 PM
Yes, E machines have been around awhile...it's a combination of Gateway and Acer.
I had one of their laptops years back and never had any problem.

As for the screen deal...Go through and check all of your settings...both on the computer and on the monitor. I'd use whatever monitor is the largest. If they are the same size, I'd use the newest.

Really the capacitors would have only been about $100 to replace.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/10/2011 8:34:05 PM

I'm a board level tech. A+ Network + MCSE, But I generally look for the simplest, cheapest fix first.

You mean like VISUALLY inspecting the CAPS first VS buying and replacing stuff?
 Holly63
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/10/2011 10:03:36 PM
Well, my friend felt so bad about snapping off one, he gave up and said he couldnt figure out why else my PC kept shuttinhg down so he bought me a new PC.

I understand there are cheaper ways to fix things but he was insistant. I've learned alot from this thread and I thank you all so much.

Whether or not my friend buying me a new computer was a good idea or not, I'm happy with my new one but I still wonder if the old one could have been fixed..........

I'm struggling to get used to my new one but I will in time. If anyone has hints I'm all ears. I'm gratreful to my friend and it was he who got this PC up and going. (Albeit without using the Installation CD....) Hmmmm I wonder if he should have......
 Holly63
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/14/2011 6:24:01 AM
What you all say makes sence, however, my dear friend insisted on buying me a new computer after snapping off the thing from the MB.

My other computer was old and was owned by many before I got it.

I'd had updated software, solid advice from posters in my threads regarding maintenance, troubleshooting, malware, virus protection, you name it, and all advice has been amazing. It really has!!

Hey, I even know what the MB and Hard Drive look like now after posting photos of my PC. LOL. :applause:

Sincere appreciation to everyone and for teaching me. Love you guys. xxxxxxxxxx
 normaldude
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2011 3:36:20 PM
I have battled some random shutdowns on machines and usually it was an intermittent connection or the power supply. Having a known good machine to substitute parts helps a lot. One machine would shutdown for no apparent reason with no predictability. It turned out to be leakage on the reset switch. Only way to prove it was to start the machine then pull the wires to the mobo and it ran for as long as I wanted. Another was bad connection on the CPU socket, slight pressure on the heat sink would shut it down too...... It can drive ya nuts.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/15/2011 10:00:55 PM

Kinda makes me think that the problems the OP was having with her previous computer were not Emachine related at all.

DUH! The E Machine is the NEW computer!

You just gotta love some of the posters here that read a post or two and jump right into the fray without knowing the whole story. Especially when the entire, complete story is right there for all to see.

LOL...INDEED! And your post has been a great example of that!

I have no idea what may have caused the overheating problem that the OP first spoke of.

If you read through and not just jumped in, you'd know that it was blown capacitors on the MB ...AS I suggested!

But I do know this much. Advice from people that have 'reading comprehension' problems are best left unheeded.

...Again....AS YOU so clumsily demonstrated!
 gentleplus
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2011 12:57:20 PM

Looking at them is fine and free. And if they are bad paying $100 to replace capacitors on a motherboard with no warranty is beyond dumb. Buy a new motherboard for $100 and you have a warranty and a new board not just new caps. If it was a fancy server dual or quad cpu board and I was buying caps and soldering them them in myself so the repair was CHEAP on an expensive board it would be one thing. For a normal user with a board out of warranty you just buy another board. Paying a $100 to repair an old emachines motherboard is nutz

Exactly *Cowboy*

I often advise clients that fixing an old dog more than 5 years old is a waste of money because you never know what will be the next component failure when you can get a brand new tower for about $300 any day of the week
 UnixGrand
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2011 4:55:46 PM

In the beginning, Emachines weren't inexpensive, they were just plain cheap. EVERYTHING was soldered on to the motherboard, and they were impossible to upgrade, basically they were disposable computers, much like those Bic cigarette lighters.

Sounds like a Packard Bell wanna be to me. Could be one and the same
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/16/2011 10:18:50 PM

Not true. While the father was a Senior VP for Gateway, and making monitors on the side, the son manufactured motherboards under his own name, and sold them to Acer. Other than that, they were never connected.

REALLY? Hmmm, you better contact them then because their company history is wrong....you better set them straight!

This is from EMachines own site:

Brand Background

eMachines, one of the the world's fastest growing and most efficient PC brands, was acquired by Gateway, Inc. in March 2004 for $262 million in cash and shares. In October 2007, eMachines was acquired by Taiwan-based Acer Inc., and the combined entities now comprise the third-largest PC company in the world. It remains a stand-alone brand that is sold through leading retailers, e-tailers and channel partners in the U.S. and selected markets abroad.

Since its launch in 1998, we've shipped more than five million eMachines systems. It was the second-largest vendor of desktop PCs sold through U.S. retailers.

Internationally, our low-cost, full-featured systems are sold in Canada, Japan, Mexico and the United Kingdom, with further expansion into Europe planned soon.

Here's the link:

http://www.emachines.com/corporate/background.html

As for replacing the MB on an HP computer, UNLESS you replace with a costly HP MB the version of Windows installed will not work because it looks for the HP MB, and same goes for the recovery disks...You MUST have a version of the OS that is stand alone. If you don't then that will cost you more... The Version shipped with the machine looks for the MB to prevent piracy.

I simply had mine re-soldered and am very happy with the speed in which I was back up and running...no setting up my computer, reinstalling stuff etc.

When I used to build computers I always have windows disks, so sure a replacement MB would make sense...but I had no disks nor the intention of buying them.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/17/2011 7:40:19 PM
^^^^ So what does pre '89 have to DO with anything?

OP asked about emachines and I said:

E machines have been around awhile...it's a combination of Gateway and Acer.

To which YOU said:

Not true. While the father was a Senior VP for Gateway, and making monitors on the side, the son manufactured motherboards under his own name, and sold them to Acer. Other than that, they were never connected.

Which according to emachines own site....isn't true!
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/29/2011 7:31:04 PM
^^^^^^^^ um......you might want to READ the last page or so...this has been sorted out...
 retnec
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/4/2011 9:34:27 AM
Your statement :

As for replacing the MB on an HP computer, UNLESS you replace with a costly HP MB the version of Windows installed will not work because it looks for the HP MB, and same goes for the recovery disks...You MUST have a version of the OS that is stand alone. If you don't then that will cost you more... The Version shipped with the machine looks for the MB to prevent piracy.

Is not exactly true.

Not just on HP computers but many others if not all, when you replace the old motherboard with a new one that is not OEM, there are 2 options for using the old drive with the already loaded OS or using the Recovery discs.

1 Using the old HDD with the original O/S, you can run a repair of the operating system with a windows disc, and have it recognize the new hardware of the motherboard, and use the product key on the COA. I have done it with the same or different chip-sets on the motherboard many times. (even from AMD to intel and Intel to AMD including different video chip-sets ATI / Nvidia etc)

2 When using a new motherboard and using the factory recovery disc, it is called tattooing the motherboard. Not hard to do at all. It puts the codes on the new motherboard that the recovery discs need to recognize the new type motherboard. This can also work with different chip-sets on the new motherboard.

In addition about the blown capacitors, most techs agree that the cause is a faulty power supply even if you only fix the capacitors. Have a nice day!

With Windows 7, Just right click on the desktop and the menu will come up and one of the choices is Screen Resolution. to make it look like XP did in size like the old one you had, use 1024X768 and then go back to the desktop and right click again and the first item is View. Change that to Small icons.
 Holly63
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/5/2011 7:44:32 PM
Continued thanks for your input guys.

My new computer is all sorted now and and I'm happy with the new screen resolution. I followed the instructions and , yes, the reccomended size isn't always the better one.

I've learned alot throough my thread and actually know what parts I'm looking at!! lol.

The above "computer speak" is beyond me but I'm learning. THANKS again guys for your patience and help. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > My computer keeps switching itself off.