Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > High School and College student sex during the 60's      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DrummingNut
Msg: 7
High School and College student sex during the 60'sPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I started High School in 1965.. which is mid 60's. Smack in the middle = "mid".
sorry for any confusion or whatever
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 8
High School and College student sex during the 60's
Posted: 5/12/2011 5:30:11 PM
Birth control pills came out in the US in 1964, while I was preggers with my first. I used them for a bit more than a year and stopped to get preggers with my second. For the unmarried, the drill was to make a Doctor's appointment as a MRS Someone. . . . Gold bands were available for about five bucks. In high school, in the late fifties, seemed to me like every guy I dated had a "safe" in his wallet. Only one guy got the opportunity to use it, lol!

When I was in college, I worked for the LDS Genealogical library, and we dealt with birth/death/wedding records going back to the 1500's. I'm here to tell ya that about 80% of first births, all the way back, happened within six months of marriage. Evidently later children took the regulation nine months.

Single again during the 70's, can only say: woohoo. The last guy I lived with, an actor in NYC was talking to a young co-understudy (who went on to win a Tony the next year), about sex in the 70's. Kid said: for *us* (early twenties) sex is possible death. . . . .

kari135
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2011 6:09:20 PM
I graduated in ‘65. That counts as the mid-60s, right?

At my high school, there were around 3,000 students, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. The only ones who didn’t pay much attention to sex were those who were in the college track, but there was still a lot of overlap. There were plenty of early marriages, pregnancies, etc. Some of the kids were from very religious families, some were not. I will admit it was somewhat easier to party once one was away at college, and there were a few who went overboard on that.

And in addition to those wonderful events listed by valenciacityx, we who came of age in the ‘60s also grew up with the atom bomb. Some of my most vivid memories were of the drills we went through for when - not if, but WHEN - The Bomb fell on us. I personally spent years wearing a dog tag required by the schools during the 50s so that if The Bomb fell during the daytime, we’d be (theoretically) easier to reunite with our families. That’s not a thing that encourages people in general to take a long view of what society might or might not dictate as morally correct.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2011 9:18:31 PM
Again, by no means am I stating sex didn't happen. It did, but from those that I knew it happened a whole lot less then today. I was not awear of any females in high school who used The Pill and word of that sort of thing gets around. If caught the school and parents would be up in arms. For what it's worth teens and college kids today do not attend a church like during the 60's. During the 70 things exploded. It seems right after abortion became legal the doors flew wide open. It was in the late 70's and early 80's that parents began offering birth control to daughters to prevent teen pregnancy.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 5:36:12 AM

It did, but from those that I knew it happened a whole lot less then today.

That must be related to where you lived. Observing my own children, and their friends, I have the impression that sex is a lot less common today than back when. Kids are bombarded with safe sex information and the news is full of reports of disease that can kill you, etc.

On the other hand, I do tend to think that its more likely that the same thing that was going on back then is going on today. As to what happened in High School, loads of girls got married in the Spring of graduation year. Not so much these days. Were they all chaste brides back then?
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 12:46:54 PM
Ill agree that church has little to do with it. I attended two churches regularly as a teen in the seventies and was active in youth groups at both. That's how I met my wife. Sex was rampant at church youth group retreats. If it wasn't for an unexpected visitor I would have lost my virginity in a church. Sure we heard the wait-until-marriage mantra but most of us were bright enough to tell the difference between dogma and sound spiritual guidance.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 3:09:16 PM
I attended two churches regularly as a teen in the seventies and was active in youth groups at both.

The seventies were not the same as the sixties. The sexual revolution that stated in the 60's exploded in the 70's. Not the same era's.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2011 3:40:50 PM
^^^^^^^ I understand that but my point was that church attendance is not much of a deterrent to sex.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 15
Posted: 5/17/2011 7:28:26 AM

I know sex happened but it just doesn't seem like it happened to the extent that it does today.

I think what goes on today has always gone on but back then we were not free to openly share this information.

My granny says back then they just had alot more 'premature' babies born at over 7 pounds...(not preemie at all but the math didnt add up so everyone said they had a premature birth...lol)

Now we arent forced to make up stories to 'cover up' the fact that there was some premarital sex.
 c_deacon
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 11:32:35 AM
Agreed......most of it existed but just not talked about like it is today, because the stigma is not the same as it was so long ago!

I remember in high school doing the girlfriend thing to make is all prim and proper, but in college, it was like a candy shop and we were all buying and licking the products....so to speak....

It all existed, but we did it behind closed doors, or on the beach at night, in cars, hotel rooms that we could afford, on and on, but once there and done, we did not go to the roof tops and shout it out for the world to know......we were much more behind the scenes with it all out of respect about the stigma attached to having sex before marriage.

I remember the first time that a girl I was dating had her own condoms, just in case, and how that was never mentioned to anyone else, and if it was, how it would be received. Now, if the woman does not have them, we will, and if we talk about it.....we more than likely have many kinds for every situation imaginable........

cd........
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 5:04:59 PM
TMy granny says back then they just had alot more 'premature' babies born at over 7 pounds...(not preemie at all but the math didnt add up so everyone said they had a premature birth...lol)his allows you to quote a previous post.

My ex-wife is a nurse and worked Labor and Delivery and said that some people use to say (don't know if they believed it) that the first child could come any time but all of the rest took 9 months.
 Friendly widow
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2011 7:41:42 PM
Yessiree-sex happened for high school kids in the 60s.If a girl got pregnant she had 2 options-early marriage or give the baby up for adoption.Now of course there is abortion as the third option! Most of my high school friends anticipated going on to higher education so,if they were sexually active,they took precautions.As was mentioned earlier all guys carried condoms in their wallets! Once I was off to university there was a lot more freedom as I was away from home and the opportunities for easy and quick sex abounded.Once again the smart ones took precautions but a few I knew were caught! I believe that today, more kids are sexually active earlier and certainly talk about teen-agers having sex is wide open.Exact numbers I do not know but I think OP you were a sheltered country boy!
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2011 8:59:22 AM
Well, South Bend Indiana isn't a small community but could have been more conservative than, say, Chicago or Indianapolis. The smaller the community the more conservative the people.
 Walts
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/28/2011 4:38:10 AM
My daughter went on her city's "slut walk" a couple of weeks ago, and I can not be anymore prouder of her.

As I was trying to point out in another thread, defining a person because of how short their dress is, how low their blouse goes, or whatever is truely the definition of retarded thinking.

Because a female wears such clothes gives me a chance to "view", but it doesn't give me any reason at all to touch,caress, rub, play, enter or whatever without consent. I was taught that at a young age,but you still have people in "power" expressing such silly thoughts as the Toronto cop. Ignorant is all I can think of. Well, not really,but it's all I am allowed to express here in these forums.
Sorry for the off topic comments.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2011 7:16:30 AM

Religion had nothing to do with it.

When I made the comment about religion I was not saying it was a major player. It was "ONE" of many influences within society. None of these influences were 100% effective.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2011 7:24:45 AM
Yes, sex happened, but it was not happening all that much, certainly not casually. If it happened, it happened between couples in going steady relationships and then between the older, grades 11 and 12, kids. But it was not the norm. And getting pregnant was very much a no no. A girl who got pregnant, and I remember knowing of only one who did, was not allowed to continue in school and it was a huge scandal.

This was very much what I remember of the 60's. Sometimes I think we want to think the 60's generation was as active sexually as todays high school kids but I sure don't remember it being as prevelent. Yes, it happened but not to the degree of today. The way teens talk today once they are going steady sex is the natural next step. Sorry folks but that wasn't the norm back in the 60's. Sometimes foreplay happened but sexual intercourse wasn't an every date experience.
 URXO2
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2011 7:25:19 AM
So you guys were all boinking each other back in the sixties, guess it's true location, location, location, well, I was stuck in the upper-Midwest in a little podunk playing solitaire..Got drafted in 1969 at the ripe old age of 19, when I came back from Uncle Sam's all expense paid Asia vacation, more solitaire..
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2011 9:02:34 PM

Not everyone. I was very chaste in the 60's. And I lived in a very large urban area and went to a very large urban school. In my school, most girls were not sexually active. This is the late 60's. So much for all the stereotypes. The 70's were different for me, university, growing up, etc.

The real sexual explosion took place in the 70's. Abortion and easy access to "The Pill" took away the fears of having sex. I remember when parents first began giving birth control to their daughters many people werre shocked.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 25
Posted: 5/30/2011 12:43:23 AM
Parent involvement has a lot to do with it.

My daughter is 30. She had sex for the 1st time when she was 18. I took her to the clinic and we got her on birth control. I even drove her and her boyfriend to the motel that had a hot tub in the room. They got married and are still married. She has never had sex with anyone else.

I am not so sure what age my son was the first time he had sex. I do know that he is 27 and has only had sex with 2 people. The first one was his first gf and he was with her for 3 years. The next one is his wife.

So, I think if you raise your kids right even in today's crazy times, they don' t necessarily hop from bed to bed. I am sure the schools preaching about STDs and safe sex is a big help too.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2011 10:34:33 PM

It just strikes me that this generation is almost overboard, pushing the envelope for what "should" be accepted. Ten year olds having sex, 13 year olds having babies...and none of them really aware of the full repercussions.

Oh, I dunno - I haven't really studied the issue, but it strikes me that throughout human history we've had at least as many societies and periods when sex and pregnancy was common as soon as one reached puberty as not.

Much as we like to presume differently, at our core we're part of the animal kingdom, and pretty much every species reproduces as soon as it is able to. What makes us different is that we try to make up rules about it.

I'm all for responsible sex, and think the ability to take responsibility for ALL of our actions, sexual or not, is what ought to set us apart from other critters, but there are abundant examples among us of those who don't think beyond their primal instincts and I expect there always have been.

Dave
 ohenryx
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 11:25:06 AM

The average age at which the onset of puberty occurs has dropped significantly since the 1840s.[43][44][45] Researchers[who?] refer to this drop as the 'secular trend'. In every decade from 1840 to 1950 there was a drop of four months in the average age of menarche among Western European females. In Norway, girls born in 1840 had their menarche at an average age of 17 years. In France the average in 1840 was 15.3 years. In England the average in 1840 was 16.5 years. In Japan the decline happened later and was then more rapid: from 1945 to 1975 in Japan there was a drop of 11 months per decade.

A 2006 study in Denmark found that puberty, as evidenced by breast development, started at an average age of 9 years and 10 months, a year earlier than when a similar study was done in 1991. Scientists believe the phenomenon could be linked to obesity or exposure to chemicals in the food chain, and is putting girls at greater long-term risk of breast cancer.[46]

If the average age of puberty is dropping (see above quote from Wikipedia), then naturally there will be more instances of sexual activity at an earlier age.
 satx78218
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 12:08:04 PM
early-onset menarche combined with corporate sexualization of female children is a potent mixture.

estrogen analogues from plastic packaging, drugs, hormones in industrial food-like substances etc also induce sexual development in girls, while feminizing male foetuses and male children, and contributing to ED and loss of libido in adult males.
 Dave of Indiana
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/1/2011 7:47:56 PM

estrogen analogues from plastic packaging, drugs, hormones in industrial food-like substances etc also induce sexual development in girls, while feminizing male foetuses and male children, and contributing to ED and loss of libido in adult males.

This is a growing problem that is being downplayed. Especially companies who produce and store food in plastic containers. One of the estrogen analogues are labeled as xenoestrogen. They latch onto the estrogen and testosterone hormone receptors so the real hormones cannot do their job. Overweight, birth defects, etc are some of the side effects.

Getting off of soap box now.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2011 7:49:20 AM

The point is that the kids are raised with an attitude about sex that it is natural and normal, not naughty, but that those with sense, self preservation, and intelligence don't let it rule or ruin their lives. For the most part. Even when a high profile figure is known to be unfaithful to his wife or to see prostitutes, it is taken in stride and not a reason for putting him out of office.

How refreshing!

There ARE a lot of us here in the states who share that perspective, but unfortunately a lot who do not.
 califcowboy1956
Msg: 31
Posted: 6/17/2011 2:57:35 PM
be my guess dave u just we'rn't gettin any in the 60's-but it was definately going on A LOT. as a matter of fact i miss the sexual revolution pre herpies/aids era.mankind hasn't changed in thousands of yrs-we're just more open about it now.same s%^* different day
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > High School and College student sex during the 60's