Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > How much to pay on a date      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Free Bass
Msg: 1
view profile
History
How much to pay on a datePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
So Indenial got me tinkin' after readin' his "Would you pay" thread....now my brain hurts

How much should one spend on a date?

I mean an ordinary average date; not a first time M&G at Timmies, or a special occaision if you've been datin' long enough to have those, or a weekend getaway...just yr average nothin' on the tube so let's go do sumpin' night.

I've never given it much thought before, but the first thought that hit my mind was to match my hourly wage. Give or take.

And surprisingly, when I actually DID think about it...thas about what I do generally pay. So if I treat someone to a wonderful 4 hour evening, there's a half a day's wages well spent.

I realize this formula will get better or worse results depending on yr employment, but I figger if yr honest with each other (and you are, right?) he/ she already knows you work at McDonalds & that "Chez Pierre" ent on the list of oft frequented eateries, but is perfectly happy with ice cream and a frizbee in the park.

(Not sayin' that if ya make $100/ hr ice cream & frizbee are outta the question, but if I made that much I'd be hirin' some kid who works at McDonalds to chase the damned ting for me )

Discuss.....
 dddiesel
Msg: 2
How much to pay on a date
Posted: 5/14/2011 7:33:39 AM
I think the best date is hot dogs over a fire with fresh buns and mustard! you can always go up from there if you want to but why would you! that works with my hourly wage the best!
 ~ Cndn Girl ~
Msg: 3
Posted: 5/14/2011 11:39:17 AM
I'm tired of paying for the date, next time my date should pay
 ^^Batgirl^^
Msg: 4
Posted: 5/22/2011 7:16:00 PM
Too ambiguous.

I say, dutch all the way.

^^BG^^
 unforgetable8
Msg: 5
Posted: 6/13/2011 7:59:29 PM
No one complains when they go to a party and bring a case of beer beacouse that's a guyes party, once they spend a few box on lady they complain.

I always go dutch.
 koldad
Msg: 6
Posted: 6/16/2011 1:50:34 PM
Yeah same here. I am old school, if I ask or not I am paying for the date. I don't even ask I just take the bill and pay.
 unforgetable8
Msg: 7
Posted: 6/29/2011 7:01:03 PM
I agree with you twinkle...100%...old school means , man pays no-matter what.
 JoLovesDogs
Msg: 8
Posted: 6/29/2011 7:26:27 PM
This is a touchy subject for many men. I am sooo flattered by chivalry, and if a guy isn't into being a gentleman, I don't think he was very interested in the first place.

Also, I would like to add that by age 41, shouldn't you at least be trying for a career of some sort, rather than working a dead end job at McDonald's???
 CalgaryChris
Msg: 9
Posted: 7/6/2011 6:28:49 PM
This is a touchy subject for many men. I am sooo flattered by chivalry, and if a guy isn't into being a gentleman, I don't think he was very interested in the first place.

Most women don't reciprocate or appreciate chivalry, they just want the guy to do it to stroke their egos and get a free meal. I was a complete white knight before, and I got burned hard.
 valco1
Msg: 10
Posted: 7/16/2011 1:20:41 PM

As a Lady One should be gracious, And I do try to be!
My point is a man asks a lady out on a date, Yes he pays!
He chooses the venue, Yes he pays!
Ya don't want to break the bank, I don't have a problem with that at all, Not all ladies are in it for a free meal! The idea of dating is to get to know each other and spend time together to see if there is a possibility of a match.
But if you are that jaded and worried that every lady is out for your wallet, don't date!
You as a man Pick the date, so don't go behind your means to impress. Spend time with me, Talk to me, teach me new thing, broaden my mind! Your wallet wont win my heart, but the real you, may!

i would love to see your face, after the meal was done, you still not impressed or did got impressed very much, bill with significant amount of $ arrives and your date's partner graciously gave it to you.
nothing personal, just abstract work of imagination
 SylvanSwan
Msg: 11
Posted: 7/18/2011 11:47:31 AM

Most women don't reciprocate or appreciate chivalry, they just want the guy to do it to stroke their egos and get a free meal.

Let me guess: You met a beautiful woman who, when you opened the door for her/bought her dinner/etc. etc., didn't reciprocate by having sex with you, am I right? Oh boo hoooooo for you....

I was a complete white knight before, and I got burned hard.

And let me guess: Before you did the whole "white knight" thing, you didn't communicate what you were wanting, did you? And now you are going to see if being an azzhole to women is going to get you want you want....? LOL, Good luck with that son.

I think you are confusing good manners, high expectations, and "white knight" bullcrap (although maybe you do know how to ride a horse?) with the actual post, in which the OP was wondering where he could take a woman he knows fairly well on reasonably priced dates?
 NotYouFatJesus
Msg: 12
Posted: 7/23/2011 6:45:18 PM
I think everyone should go into a date with the mentality that they are each going to cover what they owe, but if the man or woman offers to pay, then do what you are comfortable with. There shouldn't be any set rules on whether or not a man should pay.
 roomforonelove
Msg: 13
Posted: 8/6/2011 9:57:30 AM
Going on a meal or movie on first meet is no go really plus i would have to pay for her not knowing if she's only getting a free meal and never to be seen again, and as for the movie that can be a bit expensive for the guy and not a word in between the two of us the whole time. Now the meal should be for a real date once both agree to see each other more often. So first meet is at timmes/walking or even a pub/bar drink.
 AudaciousIntrigue
Msg: 14
Posted: 8/24/2011 12:23:20 AM
I have paid on the first date or almost all of the dates...it gets too expensive . I haven't had a dutch date in a loooong time. I wont accept the "I don't have money" thing anymore, if no money "ok" lets chill at home or go for a walk for a bit. If normal spending time together is tooo boring well I say "being bored by yourself is good enough then". If I'm gonna be putting all the money into the dates because I do like to get out of the house. I wanna feel appreciated for it, like my is company wanted. If I'm going to a movie and invite I will pay a few times yes but every-time an outing is suggested and no money, no calls on payday or whatever ha! OK not happening again. I believe if you aren't financially able to afford some entertainment then you better have some good free ideas and not be crying "I'M BORED". I hardly say I'm bored at anytime anymore, as its rude to the people I'm around. I feel that it portrays me as someone who cant be satisfied with life the way it is and cant just enjoy who or whats going on around me. If I hear someone say I'm bored I say it makes me feel as if they think I'm boring and if they feel that way they should go home or find something that's satisfactory which doesn't deviate too far from what I had planned for the evening.
 GrandeCash
Msg: 15
Posted: 10/1/2011 7:07:13 PM
I'm splitting the bill from now on. Especially, it doesn't give me anything to pay the bill if the girl doesn't even want me again... Heck, I'll make her pay the bill next time! meh...
 Trish...
Msg: 16
Posted: 10/6/2011 2:35:53 PM
I prefer to pay my own. That way they CAN"T expect something in return ha ha ha. But if we con't to date ... then I say take turns .... why should the guy always have to pay???
 a_lonewolf
Msg: 17
Posted: 12/30/2011 4:19:54 PM

There are many factors that come into play for me to decide how much I'd pay on a date, basically it all comes down to one thing though. If I'm going to pay close to the amount of a hooker and not get the same result in the end..... well.
 agbiz
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:07:47 PM
I fully believe that if you can't afford to pay for yourself, you should not be going on the date.

Lots of women are making as much as men now, and more. If we want all these rights and equal this and equal that, we have to also buck up and pay our equal share.

I also agree, you do not need to go crazy on the first date as far as money wise!! Who wants to sit throu a five course dinner with someone they have no connection with?

I also do not agree with going to private places on the first date, like a drive in the country. You should always meet in a public place!!
 fordguy11
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/24/2012 1:09:07 PM
I agree agbiz. There's no reason why a guy cant pay for a nice dinner, movie, couple rounds of pool or whatever. If a guy cant afford that, then Im sorry you might want to get your butt off POF and get a second job.

The man pays, its just the right thing to do.

As for the original question - there is no right answer. Every date, couple or experience is unique so spend what you can afford.
 MillwoodsVal
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/17/2012 5:56:44 PM
What is fun, and what is in your budget. If its agreed joined early to go dutch then booth budgets should be considered. Breaking the bank for every date is not required. You may want to loosen purse strings if you like her enough after the initail meeting. Don't break the bank every time, and don't go super cheap everytime. (Previous poster is right, its insulting). If you are more worried about the budget than having fun, no one will have fun.
Don't ask a woman on a date and expect her to pay, and if its agreed ahead that she will pay, don't pull out your wallet and insist. (That is annoying). If the occasional dinner and bowling is too much for you consider change in occupation, or get a grip on your finances.
Show ALL Forums  > Alberta  > How much to pay on a date