Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Walts
Msg: 8
People who can laugh at themselvesPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I take it as meaning not to take yourself so seriously. I've only clued into this the last few years,and laugh more now at things than I ever have. Of course I look like a crazy man half the time, but I find it good for the soul to do so. My soul, that is.
 Vannili
Msg: 9
view profile
History
People who can laugh at themselves
Posted: 5/15/2011 9:33:28 AM
People who can laugh at themselves ,,,,,,,,,has two choices whether to get angry or laugh at their mistakes.... But I don't know any one laughing at their own problems.

I have a good sense of humour ,but I am very serious when it comes to my mistakes and problems, I am perfectionist , and I won't stop until my problems are solve. Mostly,before I delve into things, I think first the pros and cons of the consequences.

<div class="quote"> Is it really just code for "I will always laugh & make all your problems into jokes?"

It could be, but I don't think that I would interact with that kind of a person for s/he is a FOOL... Life is a game but a person has to be serious,on winning............. We have to treat people and matters seriously..

Walts
Msg: 10
Posted: 5/15/2011 9:50:07 AM

But I don't know any one laughing at their own problems.

Really????? Even after someone sits down and looks at their big bad "problems" and have put them into "pespective" comparing them to other things that are going on in this world?????

Honestly, a lot of people out there would LOVE to have some of our "problems".

Perspective plays a very big part on how we deal with things that come our way.
 Vannili
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 10:06:00 AM
walts,^ I was once a comedian for my bread and butter ,but I never laugh at my problems/others too, and I know people on the silver screen who makes a good living as a comic characters they are serious when it comes to their life . They take serious matters seriously.

Life is cause and effects, and I don't compare my challenge life to others.

PS even I am playing a character as a clown ,I will not be laughing at myself , I will make people laugh , but I will not laugh at my foolishness ,clumsiness and stupidity...
 Molly Maude
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 12:32:42 PM
I was with someone who was anal, constantly worried about APPEARING perfect (because NO ONE ... IS ... perfect!) ... he would explode into a rage if he made an error and immediately go to great lengths to cover up his "mistake" ... he flew into an even bigger rage if someone ELSE made an error ... he held the world to an impossibly high standard, one he couldn't even meet himself ... I never knew him to take a flight WITHOUT "reporting" at least one employee along the way ...

he was demanding, not empathetic at all ... and ... generally ... as Janet said, "tiresome and painful."

he loved my attitude toward life ... my ability to laugh at myself ... he thought some of me would rub off on him ... it didn't ... life is too short to go around being annoyed when no one can meet your demands for perfection ...

aiming for perfection is fine ... if you don't achieve it, laugh at yourself ... and go on ... the world is hard enough ... no need to be all that hard on yourself and loved ones ...
 UnixGrand
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 5/15/2011 3:38:30 PM
I laugh at myself all the time. And sometimes I don't know what's so funny. It's just funny, ya know what I mean? Life should be fun! And so should most of the world's population.

But then they say if you laugh at yourself all the time, it can be misconstrued as a lot of masturbation. Who knows.... Who cares.
 Walts
Msg: 14
Posted: 5/16/2011 6:33:56 AM

They take serious matters seriously.

but I will not laugh at my foolishness ,clumsiness and stupidity...

I was once in the same mindset. Then my doctor explained to me that no matter what, I was still gonna end up 6 feet under and being worm food. It was my choice to arrive earlier or later. I then decided to start laughing more at my errors,mistakes, phuck ups,and yes, my OWN stupidity. I know(along with my doctor) that if I didn't start changing, I'd already be long gone, joining people that DIDN'T know how to put things and shiat into perspective.

(we're alllllllll are gonna die,we just don't know when)
 ladyc4
Msg: 16
Posted: 5/16/2011 8:04:47 AM
My profile IS me laughing at myself.
Cindy O
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 8:05:28 AM
I suffer from bi-polar disorder which masks itself as ADHD. I am so clumsy that whenever I set something in the middle of a table I just might as well expect it to fall to the floor. I constantly bump into things. Sometimes I feel like I “drop everything I pick up, and lose everything I set down”. It’s part of my manic phase. After this goes on non-stop for days it gets pretty frustrating. So its better to just laugh about it -- and stave off the temper tantrum I secret feel like having. I often joke that if I ever get Alzheimer’s, no one will know the difference.

I do tend to joke about my own problems, partly because I just don’t want to sound whiny. And partly because I have been to many parts of the world on mission trips. There, I have seen people really suffering and helpless as they watch their own children starve. After that, I just have to put my flat tire or leaky roof in perspective. I know that I am blessed in many ways. But I know when to take things seriously. And I do know when to show caring and concern for others’ sorrows.

I am on my own, with no support from family. But I have a beautiful paid for home, and many nice things. With my Bi-Polar disorder -- if it weren’t for the mercy and grace of God Himself -- I would be that bag lady pushing the shopping cart under a culvert.

With my good health and level of intelligence, I feel like I am constantly having to slow down for everybody else. The situation gets more so as I seem to be aging more slowly than my friends.

I have always liked to tell “tall tales” to make others laugh and get rid of some of my manic energy. My tales are usually self-deprecating. But they do put others at ease, and help me escape punishment for some jealousy that I occasionally get from SOME other women. Most people think I am wealthier than I am, and that everything I have going for me came to me easily.

But I have never put ability to laugh at myself in an ad. I have a lot of empathy for others (which I learned the hard way, as I contacted my illness). And I want others to have empathy and caring for me, too..
 femaleconnection
Msg: 18
Posted: 5/16/2011 8:21:06 AM
To me it means while we can take ourselves seriously to meet the goals and expectations that are on us, when we flub it up, we can smile in spite of it all. Someone who realises that while they may have a problem, the world aint gonna stop turning and thier problem is not the most serious problem on this planet.

I laugh at myself on a regular basis.
 professorjjd
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/16/2011 9:42:59 PM
Being the official "troll' of this entire site, I can honestly say I NEVER laugh at myself! However, I absolutely LOVE laughing at everyone else's misfortunes! I especially love laughing at jco415's inane and predictable comments! He cracks me up! I would expect nothing less from an ex marine with a buzz cut and "manly" attitude.. Well, whatever floats your boat, they say! Homer to Lisa: "When you don't like your job honey you don't strike! You just go in every day and do it REALLY half assed"!
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 20
Posted: 5/16/2011 9:59:28 PM
^^^
You should lighten up and learn to laugh at yourself.
cus throwing out trash isn't making you happy.

and I have to mention...
always sharing your pain is kindof like having your fly down.
so just zip it up so you won't embarrass yourself further.
and give yourself a chuckle now that you know.
 professorjjd
Msg: 21
Posted: 5/16/2011 10:53:52 PM
" Save your pity for the weak"! Anyone can tell me what movie that line is from, kudos to them! How would I be embarrassed? With my superior mindset and superhuman will? I pity you mere mortals, god help you(or NOT)!
 UnixGrand
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2011 10:58:46 PM

" Save your pity for the weak"! Anyone can tell me what movie that line is from, kudos to them! How would I be embarrassed? With my superior mindset and superhuman will? I pity you mere mortals, god help you(or NOT)!

Mortal Kombat?
 Walts
Msg: 23
Posted: 5/17/2011 4:41:50 PM

, I can honestly say I NEVER laugh at myself! However, I absolutely LOVE laughing at everyone else's misfortunes!

Of course ya do,but,really, ya don't have to state the obvious to us. We can see and read, and your previous words have more than expressed your personality.

OT, this is one example of some out there that actually take themselves a tad too seriously, and the resulting consequences of such actions. In all "seriousness", walking around worrying(and believing things) about "stuff" that you have no control over, lashing out at others that don't "believe or think" the way you do(or the way you think they should),etc breeds nothing but negativity. Again,see above for example.

IF, in this instance, laughter was truely present, a lashing out would never enter the equation. Trying(a weak try I might add) to start a fight for no reason other than to start a fight, does nothing for the person that is supposedly doing the "trying". If anything, a smile would be cool here, and a good chuckle even better,for all those involved.( I know I burst out laughing when reading said comments)

Of course some cannot "laugh" at themselves. They are too smart for laughing. They are too serious for the world. They are,well, not really happy or even KNOW how to be "happy". They in fact, pretend,which doesn't bode well for them, or anyone silly enough to enter their life. Not such a good mix in my opinion, but hell, it's just an opinion.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2011 6:47:43 PM
old age is not for pansies ... as you age initially, there are better and better advantages ... you learn to walk ... you learn to read ... you learn to meet others and be a social creature ... you express yourself thru your hair and clothing ... you learn how to work ... you find love ... you learn to mediate families ... good ... great ...

but then there's the peak and suddenly, you're speeding down the other side ... walking becomes difficult ... your vision fails ... doors close ... you wear comfortable clothing instead of 4" heels and push-up bras ... you ARE retired ... you lose your love ... and no one wants to listen to you mediate ANYTHING any more ... sad ... so sad ...

if you can't laugh at your own problems as you age ... it's gonna make the whole aging process a whole lot more difficult! as a person ages ... what else can you do but laugh at yourself?!

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >