Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Strider886
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Does (or should) age equal wisdom?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Learning = wisdom
Realising you can never know everything = wisdom

Being in your later years and being too arrogant/ignorant to listen to anyone else, that's just plain stupid.
 NicolaSeven
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Does (or should) age equal wisdom?
Posted: 5/25/2011 10:21:20 AM

How can you ask that at your age?

I can think of two factors:

One, it's the scenario where you cannot see the woods for the trees. Quite often I've heard people offer advice and their thoughts for a friend's problem but be stumped when something similar happens to them. It's almost too obvious..

The other is The Attention Whore. On any board anywhere, you'll find threads where the OP is somewhat of a troll but getting away with it because posters love the board equivalent of the 'car crash' and cannot stop themselves providing the answer to the OP's problems or conversely the thread will descend into an attack on the OP.. It's all about the attention.

I think we're never too old to ask.

The above notwithstanding, I totally agree with this.
 Strider886
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 5:00:37 AM

it would be arrogant to claim to know all lifes answers at any age of your life.

Exactly....... Some people get to a certain age where they decide they know it all and I find men of that age (and onwards) in particular to be extremely arrogant individuals.
 Strider886
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 6/3/2011 11:33:01 AM
A person of 50 for instance would (or should) have a lot more life experience behind them to maybe advise another person going through the same situation at say 20

Except when it comes to searching for a job...... Years ago my step father practically wanted to kick me out of the house because I was "wasting time on the internet all day", when apparently I should have been walking around knocking on doors and looking for signs in windows.

Things move on and sometimes experience becomes obsolete.
 marisia
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/10/2011 12:34:19 AM
Through life experiences, (my own and others) I have developed lots of wisdom and often know the ideal thing to and often know the what the ideal response should be.
However, putting it into practise is not always easy. And I still get upset, make blunders and like to discuss things with friends.
I blame those pesky emotions and senility!
 ChrisI990
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 6/17/2011 3:49:13 PM
I find this to but for the opposite reason haha i think age is just an indication of how much you should know not really a measure of it everyone lives a different life and learns things at a different rate.

People always talk down to me because im 20 and make out i dont know anything but to be honest i feel and its often commented on by people around me that im more worldly then people double my age...

Its just one of those things i guess people like to make assumptions about others, but to hell what everyone else thinks you just gotta do what ever works for you and if you want to ask something then ask :)
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >