Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Nihilism      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 CultureSHOCKinHB
Msg: 29
NihilismPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
If Nihilism were true, then how are we emotionally connected to some people, and how does it explain inspiration?

You see an old lady who looks like she wants to cross the street, but both of you know she wouldn't be able to cross without impeding traffic. What do you do? How does Nihilism explain why you could feel good about helping her and knowing she was able to continue on her path because of you? Wouldn't it be safe to say she could also feel grateful you were there?

To put it in a nutshell, how does Nihilism explain empathy?
 joemac356
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 9/11/2011 7:51:03 AM
Nihilism doesn't "explain" anything. It is separate from "why" we behave in any fashion. It just is.

Empathy is a construct all on its own. Just because young children may show signs of empathy does not prove empathy is anything other than (possibly) an ingrained trait that formed through evolution of that particular species. There may be numerous explanations for empathy.
Nihilism is not one of them.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 9/11/2011 9:40:44 AM
I don't think that Nihilism is best described as a WAY OF LIVING at all. It isn't a structured philosophy, it's more of a very thorough explanation of a fundamental viewpoint, or a recognition of the artificiality inherent in all the OTHER philosophies and religions.

So asking anything about what Nihilism TELLS one to do, is counter to what Nihilism IS.

I would suggest that ANY suggestion, including the idea that a scientifically ascertainable "raison d etre" EXISTS, would run counter to nihilism.
 RandomScause
Msg: 32
Nihilism
Posted: 9/21/2011 12:46:28 PM
"God created everything for its own amusement."

It's the first time I see this interpretation. The usual view is that god created everything for his own amusement. (Or God created everthing for His own amusement.)

But now it turns out everything was created to enjoy itself.

That makes more sense to me, verily.
 RandomScause
Msg: 33
Nihilism
Posted: 9/21/2011 12:51:11 PM
"how much can we shape what is, by wishful thinking?"

Well... there was or has been or is Pamela Lee Anderson.

And Mr. Bobbit.

And all those fun soldiers who come home from the battle with limbs missing.

Liposuction.

Facelifts, and face escalators.

Tommy Tucker, the tummy tucker.

Gastroindeshchinal gastrodilation with gastroeconomism to the fourth power.

Be advised - only 2 consecutive posts - give others a chance to interject, or quote multiple posts you are replying to into one. Read the posted rules.

IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 9/25/2011 5:56:17 AM
Appreciative:

Wow. All the other philosophies. That's a big claim. So you believe that Nihilism is the One True Belief.

I am not a nihilist. I don't claim any such thing. I am talking about the definitions that I read of nihilism. And besides, I said myself, that nihilism isn't a belief system.

Twosparrows:

So far as I have heard, subscribing to nihilism is NOT identical to hatred of ones life. So your (I assume) Biblical quote would not apply, even if it did make sense to try to apply religious concepts to a non-religious concept.
 IndigoKnight
Msg: 35
Nihilism
Posted: 10/4/2011 7:05:45 PM
Nihilism...in my opinion, is Nietzsche's joke on the philosophers of his time. Even if you believe in "Nothing" (to generalize it), you believe in something. If you really follow the ideas of Nihilism....I say kill yourself...it doesn't matter... does it?
 Divisionbyzer0
Msg: 36
Nihilism
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:21:06 AM
The amusing thing about the nihilistic argument thus stated is how glaringly PLATONIC IT IS in its structure.

Just because something is transient, changing, or "flawed" doesn't necessitate that it lacks value, unless you accept the Platonic suppositions that the only sources of value are timeless, unchanging, non-contextual and so-forth.
 Divisionbyzer0
Msg: 37
Nihilism
Posted: 10/9/2011 4:35:59 AM
Irregulator, the history of biology on the matter of the "pinnacle" is somewhat illuminating.

Prior to genetics and more importantly to its molecular foundations, you found quite the converse among Evolutionists. The early evolutionists pretty much outright subscribed to the idea biological progress as well as social progress. In many respects they followed evolutionary theory because they believed it granted support to social progressionist doctrines, in contradistinction to the prevailing theological doctrines of divine providence which were often radically antithetical to the notion of social Progress. So the view was that evolution leads to successively superior forms of organisms, and with running in parallel human social evolution leading to successively superior social institutions, conditions, and relations. It fell of fashion for evolutionists to express their progressiont ideologies overtly mainly out of the desire to conform to the demands of respectability and professionalism within the science academy. So you find a gradual taming of talk of progress within professional biological literature, however when you look at the popular literature or non-professional science writing of the same biologist who eschew talk of progress, you'll find the popular work is often still laden with it, if not to biological progress then to social progress.

So in trying to get evolution off the grounds from having the status of a pseudoscience, it's most prominent advocates who advocated precisely because they were progressionists often bio and social progressionists and felt that evolution supported these "ideologies", have paradoxically purged their discipline of talk of progress to give evolution the heir of acceptability to professional science.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 10/9/2011 7:15:26 AM
I don't see where the politics of how evolutionary biologists promote their conclusions has any bearing on the subject of nihilism.

I do think that, ESPECIALLY in our current political landscape in the U.S., that the place, if any, of a Moralistically-based approach to our legal interactions is extremely important. One of the things that I appreciate about nihilism, IS that it tries to at least open the door for NON-MORALISTICALLY based forms of human interaction.

I again reiterate, that the greatest danger inherent in declaring ANY "moral authority," is that some ONE has to interpret that authority's intent or desires. The Interpreters thereby effectively BECOME the authorities. Deciding that there might be a complicated Science-based set of moral rules is just as dangerous to freedom of thought and action as any NON secular authority would be.

I suggest consideration within that search for an answer in science, that perhaps something related to quantum mechanics applies. That is, that just as a wave-form/particle does not really have a position or vector until it is measured (I hope I said that right), that a given human action cannot be said to be "right" or "wrong", "correct" or "incorrect," except in consideration of all of the particulars at the time a choice is being made.

This would NOT mean that we are always lost in a universe lacking any guidance or direction. As with wave-form/particles, there ARE overall predictable behaviors and results that we can use to make reasonable plans. It's just that we DON'T have to hand over either our freedom or our responsibility for our actions and choices to someone else, even a very scientific someone else.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:05:30 AM
Life is a pointless and futile enterprise terminating in the grave.

This much is true.

Mentioning it will not get you many dates, also true.

After all, has it worked for you so far?

This is why you guys are still hanging out in the forums. Give it up, you are never going to get laid hanging out here arguing with each other, massaging your own egos and possibly other intimate portions of yourselves.

Chicks do not dig this. If you want to get anything out of this miserable and sorry dream of meat, give up the debate and try to be charming instead.
 Damienevil
Msg: 40
Nihilism
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:11:46 PM
There is no point to life. life is just life.

Morality is just what other try to impose on you for their own self protection and ease of life.

Entropy and chaos will always win in the end. Death comes for everything including the Universe. So really there is no point to anything.

I do not have to do anything in this life.

Suicide is not a crime neither is murder since everyone dies.

It is just society which dictates it is wrong. Who but a weak willed slave gives a **** about what society or others think about themselves.
 dplikethis
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Nihilism
Posted: 2/11/2013 8:44:25 AM
Well I scrolled through this thread but didn't bother to read through everything. Anytime I think about nihilism with ethics, it just makes me think of the old episode of Angel, Epiphany.

This conversation specfically:

Kate: "I feel like such an idiot."
Angel: "A lot of that going around."
Kate: "I just couldn't... - My whole life has been about being a cop. If I'm not part of the force it's like nothing I do means anything."
Angel: "It doesn't."
Kate: "Doesn't what?"
Angel: "Mean anything. In the greater scheme or the big picture, nothing we do matters. There's no grand plan, no big win."
Kate: "You seem kind of chipper about that."
Angel: "Well, I guess I kinda - worked it out. If there is no great glorious end to all this, if - nothing we do matters, - then all that matters is what we do. 'cause that's all there is. What we do, now, today. - I fought for so long. For redemption, for a reward - finally just to beat the other guy, but... I never got it."
Kate: "And now you do?"
Angel: "Not all of it. All I wanna do is help. I wanna help because - I don't think people should suffer, as they do. Because, if there is no bigger meaning, then the smallest act of kindness - is the greatest thing in the world."
Kate: "Yikes. It sounds like you had an epiphany."
Angel: "I keep saying that. But nobody's listening."
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Nihilism