Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard.Page 10 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
I think that the woman's claim is "frivalous" myself. This man CERTAINLY has the right to be an advocate for any cause that he considers valid and relevant to his life. There's absolutely NO proof that the "ex" he was talking about was any ONE SPECIFIC woman....it could have easily been another "ex girlfriend". In my mind, the woman in question is seeking to ease a guilty conscience, looking for reinforcement that no one has a right to call her choices into question. If the courts decide to sensor this "protest" against abortion, then ALL "ProLife" media stands to be sensored.

The woman in question should have simply stated that he was talking about ANOTHER "ex" rather than identifying herself as the "quilty party". If she's feeling remorseful about her decision then she should seek counciling....not a lawsuit. This is one of the problems make decisions based on what someone else thinks...rather than what THEY truly feel to to the best choice for themselves.

While I generally support the "her body, her choice" concept....I can't help but ALSO think that it was HER choice to have unprotected sex with her body... which resulted in another "body"....which she in turn DENY's their choice (the aborted fetus); and also involved the "body" (issue of) the Father.

This isn't an Abortion/Prolife issue....it's an issue designed to tell us that we have NO RIGHT to even have an opinion on the issue. If asked, I'd have to say that I personally am ProLife...but if that ever comes to mean that I can't SEE the other side of the issue, then I'd have to change sides. Part of making a "controversial decision" is in being mature enough to stand up to the criticism that comes along with it. In the end, we all have to live with our choices...and STOP trying to blame someone else for noticing that we've made one. (choice)
 junipermoon
Msg: 138
view profile
History
Jilted ex-boyfriend puts up abortion billboard.
Posted: 6/18/2011 6:02:27 PM
i take pride in my vehement pro-choice stance.

however, this thread should not concern right-to-choose issues. that's merely a detail in this story. he could have put up a bulletin board claiming that she believes elvis will walk into her kitchen and demand fried chicken.

anyone can say anything they damn well please, as long as they don't identify anyone else by name. if the attention-ho' ex-girlfriend chooses to out herself, that's her own juice and she can damn well stew in it. i have no sympathy for people like that.

and as much as i loathe the sign's message, i also know, without a doubt, that the guy can say whatever he pleases. if he keeps her anonymous, he's ok.

you read on these forums about goofy-ass things people have done to each other. and they don't get deleted, if you don't identify the goofball.

same kind of thing.
 matchlight
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 7:36:21 PM

why would a bulletin board have legal ramifications when the westboro baptist church can legally harass funeral-goers?

Simple. The issue in Westboro was whether a state law against a tort called "intentional infliction of emotional distress," which a state court had said the demonstrators were liable for, violated their right to free speech. But unlike IIED, defamation and invasion of privacy have been recognized as torts for a very long time. They are on firm ground.

In defamation, the freedom of speech issue comes up when what was said involves a public official or figure, or a matter of public concern. And even then, the speech isn't absolutely protected. You just have to jump through more hoops to prove you were slandered or libeled. There wouldn't be any First Amendment issue in this case, even if she were suing for defamation, rather than invasion of privacy. She is a private person and what he said on the billboard is private information.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 7:48:48 PM
The guy with the billboard had a choice too, he had a few choices - he could have kept his pecker in his pants or he could have wrapped it up. Now he's all high and mightly because that gal in question made a choice, one that worked for her. He should have thought of the consequences of his actions before he got all hot and horny. To me he's the bigger idiot in all this. But, that's just my opinion

So the guy who was (I'd assume) willing to take responsibility for the "consequences of his actions" is the bigger idiot? That's gonna take some 'splainin'.
 junipermoon
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 8:00:59 PM
She is a private person and what he said on the billboard is private information.

again, he does not use her name. she can be as private as she wants. she is the one who calls attention to herself by identifying herself as the ex-girlfriend. once she does that, she relinquishes any semblance of privacy.

she could have just ignored it. he wanted to get a rise out of her. and he did.
 matchlight
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 1:26:48 AM
again, he does not use her name. she can be as private as she wants.

Let me rephrase my point this way: Even if this were technically a defamation suit, it wouldn't raise a constitutional free speech issue. Why? Because it doesn't involve a public figure or an issue of public concern.

she is the one who calls attention to herself by identifying herself as the ex-girlfriend. once she does that, she relinquishes any semblance of privacy.

You may think that's how it should work, but that's not the legal rule. The plaintiff in a suit for invasion of privacy doesn't forfeit her claim by making her identity public in the suit.

anyone can say anything they damn well please, as long as they don't identify anyone else by name

That's certainly not true as to defamation. The defendant in your slander or libel suit doesn't need to have identified you by name to be liable. If you can show that the defamatory statement was "of or concerning" you, that's enough. That means a reasonable listener, reader, or viewer would understand the statement as referring to you. And you can use additional facts, outside the statement itself, to prove that.

There is no way in hell she can prove in a court of law that he is talking about her.

I don't know the details of New Mexico tort law, but I don't think that would be too hard to prove. There's no reason to think the rule about proving the statement concerned the plaintiff, even though it didn't mention them by name, is different in invasion of privacy from what it is in the closely related tort of defamation.
 Barredbard
Msg: 145
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 8:56:42 AM
From a lawyer's perspective, she has no cause of action for libel if she did, in fact, abort the baby. Truth is an absolute defense to libel. If her lawyer pursues that cause of action, he ought to be dangling, suspended from a billboard as well. The most sensible cause of action in this case would be one for false light invasion of privacy. This is the appropriate cause of action where the facts published by the defendant may be true, but nevertheless, mislead its intended audience. Truth is not a defense to an invasion of privacy cause of action. The message is misleading because it implies that the mother actually killed the child, perhaps with her bare hands, with a bone-handled steak knife, with a pair if scissors or, like Samson of biblical renown, with the jawbone of an ass.

This may just be an academic exercise, but I believe this is the right balance in situations like this: freedom of speech should be protected as intended by the U.S. Constitution, unless that freedom begins to rob others of their own freedom. In fact, courts implicitly recognize this to some degree. Which is why, if one threatens to kill someone, or, if one stalks someone, he may yet find himself enjoying the dubious comforts afforded by the county jail; a bucket for urine, and lice-infested cot for a bed. While a citizen may walk wherever he pleases, and say whatever he wishes, an invisible barrier is drawn when those activities begin to impinge upon the rights of others. But this isn't always the case. It is a slippery slope that must be negotiated with caution. And knee-length rubber boots.

This is a thorny case. The First Amendment, by definition, would not be needed if it only applied to speech that we find titillating or pleasing. Rather, its protections are most sorely needed when the speech in question is inherently repulsive. On the one hand, the 'jilted ex-boyfriend' should have every right to express his angst at the antics of his girlfriend if they dimnish his moral beliefs. On the other hand, his girlfriend is a private citizen whose private decisions should not be exposed and subjected to ridicule. If I were to exercise common sense, without the benefits of any existing precedents, I should think that the outcome of the case should be determined by whether the man in some way, shape or form, identified who he was talking about. Of course, if it is a small enclosed community, everyone might know who he was talking about even without the name.
 Barredbard
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 9:20:49 AM

Yup. More or less what I said. But this case is not quite as simple as it might appear at first blush, since the unborn child in question was partially his as well. Hence, he is not just publishing the private life of a private citizen; it is about his own life too. I wouldn't be so sure which side the court will come out on. Unless there are strong precedents pointing one way or the other, this case might well be decided by the intermittent bowel movements of the presiding judge.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 147
Posted: 6/19/2011 8:24:14 PM
So, there's some recent court filings on this matter...the guy was ordered to rmove the bill board by the court...all he did was remove the ficticious association listing.. N.I.N.A. (the name of his ex G/F and National Association of Needed Information)

The initial news report made it seem like the guy was combining his opinion of the abortion of his child with that of Pro-Life...but, now it just appears to be a thinly veiled bashing of his ex g/f...and not likely to make it far in the courts....because he's named and shamed the ex...and exposed her personal meical info...the said abortion.
 matchlight
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2011 10:03:57 PM

What if he did all this and it wasn't even his child, what if she was seeing someone else.

I'll call everything that was on the billboard this guy's "statement." Whether he is the biological father of the fetus she was carrying doesn't matter. Neither does the way it died.

This statement made some very private information about the mother of the guy's child very public. It was information a reasonable person would object to having made public. It also claimed she'd murdered what would have been their child. She could probably show that falsely attributed an action to her that she didn't take.

He identified himself, and he apparently included an acronym which just happened to be her first name. That's enough to lead a reasonable person to take his statement as referring to her. So she has all she needs to prove either of two flavors of the tort of invasion of privacy. One is called "public disclosure of private facts." The other, which another poster suggested, is called "false light."

She didn't consent to the statement. And even if he could prove the statement was true, or that he didn't mean any harm by it, it's very unlikely that would do him any good as a defense.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 7:15:11 AM

BOTH of them are guilty of unprotected sex. She was the one that had to make the decision on what to do with the consequences of both their actions. BOTH are to blame for their own stupidity

But (presumably) one of them is willing to accept the consequences of his and her actions and live with those consequences. The other is not. It's just reality. Some people pay their bills, some don't. Bankruptsy doesn't preclude you from responsibility for your debt even though you don't have to pay.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 153
Posted: 6/20/2011 7:38:07 AM

So I would save under those circumstances she is in fact choosing to become pregnant.

Yep, and by choosing to have an abortion she is un-choosing to have a baby...because, that is her right.

It's so funny....poster after poster goes into the single parents threads and bashes women for having unwanted babies....when it's so easy for a guy not to have an un-wanted baby and avoid all this stupid blame game shyte....don't be silly-protect your willy...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 156
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:26:43 AM
Ahhhh...someone who finally looked to see what was going on....It is truly amazing how many posters took one simple OPost...and never looked further....when the internet is right there in front of them....

Yeppers...Fultz was ordered to take down the billboard by 6/17...he hasn't...saying he'll take this as far as the supreme court...my guess is he'll take this to 30 days in the local jailhouse and then drop it.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 158
Posted: 6/20/2011 9:53:06 AM

There is also a very strong possibility there was no baby to begin with. Fact is she demanded that they got married right away after telling him about this "Baby" it's only AFTER he refused that she said she is going to abort the child. I don't think she would be the first woman to fake being pregnant to get a guy to the alter. So if we are going to start tossing crap against the wall, lets toss everything there shall we. keep the playing field as level as possible.

Yanno...if you're going to throw out "details"...perhaps you can site the alleged source...

Fact is she demanded

The only 'facts' are the billboard and the court order restraining Fultz...everything else is he said bullshyte
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 160
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:26:00 AM

Funny how you want my sources but just put anything you want without naming yours?

Just ask...

Fact is her wanting to marry the guy is not in dispute. The guy only became this horrible person AFTER refusing to marry her. And it was after said refusal that she made her decision about the unborn child.

The only fact is that Fultz told this story to his attorney Holmes who then told it to the press....it is not a fact.

New Mexico's Right to Life Committee initially endorsed the billboard, but has withdrawn its support

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110608/us_nm/us_abortion_billboard

This is a fact
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 162
Posted: 6/20/2011 10:39:33 AM
But that don't stop you and other's from quoting her and her friends as if what they say is gospel

Well, first of all...this is an incorrect statement...I've never quoted the woman or her friends. I have said she has the right to choice.

But if one person is screaming something and the other isn't disputing it, that would lead any reasonable person to conclude that the screamer is telling the truth.

I gotta tell ya...this opinion reeks of poor reasoning.

Edit:

do you plan on explaining how it reeks?.

Since you asked...he who yells loudest is telling the truth is an argument that lacks any sense of deductive reasoning.

BigBadNIrish
Msg: 165
Posted: 6/20/2011 11:38:42 AM
Let me explain so you can understand that she is not required to refudiate any claim Fultz makes in the press to the press...she would be well advised to save her arguments for the place that counts-court...

So, what you believe is what you believe...it works for you...but, forgive me if I wait for facts rather than take as fact the blathering of some fat fvck 30 something near-do-well student-Foltz who is pining over the loss of his 18 something yo ex.

Oh and BTW...since you've missed it...my origional opinion was that the fat fvck had every right-though poor taste-to have his billboard...until I read that he used his ex's name in the billboard

Edit:

VVV

Somehow that's not surprising....you'd have actually had to read the article...not just look at the pictures...
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 167
Posted: 6/20/2011 12:22:34 PM

So her wanting to marry him must be all in his imagination right?

Zactly!!!

Show me ANYWHERE this guy named his girlfriend on the billboard?.

Uh...is her name Nani...oh yea..Dufus's foundation is N.A.N.I.=National Association of Needed Information ...oh yea...he didn't use that acronym just because it somewhat resembled his ex's name...but the first court...the court that issued a protection order against Foltz for cyber stalking and the billboard naming the ex N.A.N.I....which he has changed to C.A.N.I....for "some" reason....thinks the guys a game player...and actually named his foundation N.A.N.I. jsut to humiliate his ex...can you imagine they thought that???..oops...that would be an example of deductive reasoning.

Not only have the courts and i reached the same conclusion thru deductive reasoning...so has:

Fultz may claim that the sign does not specifically attack his ex-girlfriend, but that argument would likely falter. His billboard has gone through a series of changes since it was first displayed in mid-May. Under his message, he’d originally place the name of his “organization”: the National Association of Needed Information. He’s since changed it to the “Coalition About Needed Information.” If this seems insignificant, it isn’t. The first acronym — N.A.N.I. — is also the first name of his ex-girlfriend, Nani Lawrence
http://legallyeasy.rocketlawyer.com/pro-life-billboard-ignites-controversy-in-new-mexico-92214
 matchlight
Msg: 170
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 3:55:04 PM
^^^^In defamation suits--i.e. for slander or libel--the defamatory statement must be "of or concerning" the plaintiff. If it doesn't name the plaintiff on the face of it, that doesn't mean the defendant's in the clear.

The plaintiff can introduce additional, extrinsic facts to prove that a reasonable listener, reader, or viewer would understand that the defendant's defamatory statement referred to the plaintiff. This pleading and proof is called "colloquium."

This is not technically a defamation suit. But there's every reason to believe a court would apply this same rule in a suit for the very closely related tort of invasion of privacy, where the defendant didn't identify the plaintiff by name.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 174
Posted: 6/21/2011 9:18:26 AM

Am I the only one who see the irony in this? She can go on the internet and write something about this guys medical history and see nothing wrong with doing it. But she is going to court ****ing about him putting up a billboard with some of her medical history on it. I guess it's only invasion of privacy if it's HER privacy that's being invaded

LOL...by that standard everyone in the sex threads, every thread on ED, every thread on infertility, every thread on a womans menopause, is guilty of the same thing the minute they mention that these things happened to someone they know.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 176
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:52:07 AM

The guy is pissed. I mean whatever point he was trying to make he already made. But he is just not letting go of this whole thing. Actually saying he is pissed at her very well could be the understatement of the year.

There are some reprints of Foltz's twitters....uhhhh...he doesn't like women very much...in particular one Nani....seems most all of them would be better off dead...with various forms of death...shot gunned, strangled, maimed....you know...the usual.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 178
Posted: 6/23/2011 3:26:01 AM
I have to wonder if he didnt tell her his doctor said he cant have kids to get her to think she didnt need to take precautions to purposely get her pregnant knowing they both are church goers and he could secure a child out of this. Pro lifers, like any other group can be maniplulative...just because someone is pro life doesnt mean they are always honest or dont play games to get what they want. Just a different angle to think on for me.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 181
Posted: 6/23/2011 10:53:43 AM

That argument is not logical based

Why start using logic in the discussion now...it hasn't been a factor before.

A guy would not just go around telling every woman he meet that he is sterile so he can get them pregnant.

I don't think that the suggestion was Fultz was telling every woman...just this one..N.A.N.I....oops, that's "his" foundations name I meant Nani.

The second reason is how the mind of most men work.

Well, I don't know about you, but most men don't fanaticize about killing women on their witter accounts...so, I'd guess that Fultz's doesn't think like every man.

But I do know she was playing games with him emotionally

If I may use your logic against you...you know no such thing...the only statement "supposedly" made by her has not been proven to be her statement...go back and re-read your web source....
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 184
Posted: 6/23/2011 3:57:00 PM

Unless there is ANOTHER Nani Lawrence who happens to be the same age as her. Who happens to have a boyfriend 15 years older then her. Who also happens to go to the same university as her and the billboard guy. A university with a very very small campus I might add.

Well, several days ago when I'd read that part off the link you supplied I deductively reasoned these were one and the same Nani...but, since we cannot conclude the the N.A.N.I. foundation is a ruse for using Nani on the billboard...then I must employ your logic against you and declare that it's bullshyte to say that the Nani Lawrence is the same Nani Lawrence of Fultz's billboard...for no other reason then I'm yelling louder then you....therefore, it is me who's telling the truth.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 186
Posted: 6/25/2011 3:49:55 PM

If you had said he made up a fake foundation solely to use her first name I would have agreed totally. Huge difference then actually naming her under the law.

Yanno...I'm probably like lots of judges..I don't like to be fvcked with...Foltz is a game player...Foltz ain't gonna bring this to federal court...he's gonna cave under state court pressure...spend a few days in the hoosgow...and call it a day...

I don't read twitter. Only twits go around following people on twitter.

We didn't look at the azzholes twitter account...we saw reprints in the news web-sites.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >