Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why sex?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Why sex?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
There is a difference between asexual reproduction and hermaphroditism.

Asexual reproduction is simply one individual spitting into or giving birth to another without trading any genetic material from another. The offspring is essentially a clone of the original. There is no male and female . Almost all single cell organisms reproduce asexually and very few multi cellular organisms do this.

Hermaphroditism is still sexual reproduction except all the individuals are both male and female. Most snails are hermaphrodites and a few species of reptiles and fish can be hermaphrodites under the right conditions.

As I stated before, hermaphroditism as a form of sexual reproduction isn't very good at preserving genetic diversity. When all the individuals trade each others genes it tends to wash out all the diversity over the generations.

Genetic diversity is very important in a constantly changing environment. That's why no one disease can come along and completely wipe out everybody all at the same time.
 Hibernian1960
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/16/2011 11:22:13 PM
But is it merely a matter of biology? There seems to be a biological basis for homosexuality in other species as well as in humans, and it is indeed puzzling to speculate on what procreative value such a trait has.

The entire issue of monogamy is a related topic- certain species mate for life and display consistent fidelity, obviously humans are not any such example. Instead, we get a bewildering array of endogamous and exogamous groups, polygyny, polyandry, etc.

Humans seem better able to adapt their mating habits to changing circumstances, for example, so many Soviet males died in The Great Patriotic War that women shared the available men in order to bear children.
 60to70
Msg: 13
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 12:32:27 AM
Sex produces children at the right time of the month. Sex is why children are born. Sex is better and sweeter when a child is conceived. All of the rest of the suppositions and wondering is beside the point. smile.
Why sex? Why not? Let the sperm meet the egg...sometimes. Otherwise...it ain't that complicated. All of the extraneous details are just that...not central but easily brushed aside.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 11:16:37 AM

Why sex? Why not? Let the sperm meet the egg...sometimes. Otherwise...it ain't that complicated. All of the extraneous details are just that...not central but easily brushed aside.

Do people realize the breakdown in the DNA Ladder we are facing in this country? Most of people in America born in this country are having children with other people who are born Americans. This is causing a lot more instances of Diseases, Syndromes, and Genetic Anomalies in new born. We are becoming kissing cousins if you may. I think this is why the US government allows foreign people to flow into the States every decade. Then they put the stop on it.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 15
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 1:27:47 PM

Do people realize the breakdown in the DNA Ladder we are facing in this country? Most of people in America born in this country are having children with other people who are born Americans. This is causing a lot more instances of Diseases, Syndromes, and Genetic Anomalies in new born.

Wow!! Just...wow!! And do you have any sort of citation for this piece of sh...um..interesting hypothesis?

We are becoming kissing cousins if you may. I think this is why the US government allows foreign people to flow into the States every decade. Then they put the stop on it.

Okay, props for the support of immigration but...wow!
 UnixGrand
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 1:43:08 PM

Wow!! Just...wow!! And do you have any sort of citation for this piece of sh...um..interesting hypothesis?

Actuarial science. No good A++ Insurance company does business without a good Actuarial department.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 17
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 1:46:27 PM
Not what "citation" means. You know...real links or sources for this little hypothesis of yours. That, somehow, a population of over 300 million people isn't diverse enough and is leading to some sort of inbreeding problem?

And you're serious with this one? Really?
 UnixGrand
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 1:51:14 PM
And you're serious with this one? Really?

It's an unpublished source. Actuarial results would not be for the populations views. [The average person] It's for the Insurance company to maintain proper premiums vs. claims = profits. You would be amazed at what those 311,575,422 million that don't know.
 nipoleon
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/17/2011 2:49:58 PM
There is a real problem with inbreeding among zoo animals in captivity. The populations of some of these animals have dwindled to the point that it's getting difficult to maintain enough genetic diversity.
Tigers are a good example. A few years ago white tigers and lions were being touted in the media as rare and special cases. Actually, there's nothing rare about them at all and they are becoming more common . They are the result of too much inbreeding and zoos don't want them. They usually have hearing and vision problems too.

With a population as big as North America and considering how mobile and diverse we are, I really doubt genetic inbreeding should be much of a concern for us overall.
But then, if the insurance companies feel that way, I really don't know.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/18/2011 4:39:46 PM

It speeds up evolution, …obviously.

Now we are on to something.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 21
Why sex?
Posted: 6/21/2011 4:43:53 AM
two sexes are prevalent while true hermaphrodites are rare.

I would disagree with this. If hermaphrodism is rare, then why do so many women on POF tell me to go f ck myself?
 TinCanChalice
Msg: 22
Why sex?
Posted: 6/25/2011 7:33:49 AM
Two sexes increase the chances of a genetic drift. If there was asexual reproduction (like a cell or jelly fish) there would be a lesser chance of genetic mutation to make a species better.

Having to compete for a mate also drives evolution in that the weaker of the species would not be able to find a mate and pass on genes which would lessen the viability of the species.

Humanity is a bit different when you look at the equation. We are still driven by the biological need to procreate but at the same time there are social issues. Talent or intelligence alone would be a mark or a good gene to pass on but someone like Mick Jagger is as ugly as sin.... Money is the social issue which makes him have sex appeal.

To take the 'fluff factor' out of thing most of what people say is love is actually biological responses to pheromones and other more base reactions to our physiology. The taste of someone's kiss is a reaction to anti-bodies and comparability of immune systems.
 abelian
Msg: 23
Why sex?
Posted: 6/27/2011 6:06:52 PM
Can you think of a simpler way to ensure diversification of genetic material to facillitate long term survival of a species?

This is counterintuitive since hermaphroditism would double the number of potential mates and thus help ensure both propagation and greater genetic diversity.

It's also more complex. Male and female sex organs arise from the same primative structures. Your scheme for diversification would require a great deal more complexity with dubious benefit.

Many plants have devised more than one way of reproduction as a survival mechanism and as we look at them we may be observing nature in transition from one method to another

In nature, what works, works. What doesn't work doesn't last long.
 aremeself
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 6/30/2011 9:08:45 PM
abelien;

In nature, what works, works. What doesn't work doesn't last long.

so how many times did life start and die. no one knows.
 abelian
Msg: 25
Why sex?
Posted: 7/1/2011 3:40:10 AM

Who cares? What worked is what you see around you. That's rather self-evident.
 aremeself
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 7/2/2011 10:05:02 PM
who cares?

well if you believe any of the math, life wouldn't have started even once.
so how many time did it start before it replicated? it's quite an act.
 arwen52
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 7/4/2011 7:15:11 PM
Well, it hasn't happened that way so apparently is isn't all that advantageous. There are some hermaphroditic species, most notably some snails and some fish.

Read The Sacred Depths of Nature by Ursula Goodenough. She explains evolution, including the evolution of sex, beautifully in lay terms.

You aren't going to find many answers here mainly because evolution cannot explain why life went from asexual reproduction to sexual reproduction.

Science describes what is. Hypotheses emerge as to explain *why* but those hypotheses evolve as new information is discovered. To ask "why" is to assume there was a *reason.* The more appropriate question would be "how?" The answer to "why" is - because that's what survived and was successful at reproducing. That which was not successful did not survive.

We have many fossils of species that came about and went extinct, including single celled organisms. Near as we can figure, the earth is about 4.6 billion years old. Scientists believe the first living organisms appeared about 3 billion years ago. Did life stop and start? Impossible to tell right now.
 abelian
Msg: 28
Why sex?
Posted: 7/5/2011 3:57:30 PM

well if you believe any of the math, life wouldn't have started even once.

Don't be silly. By all means, post the math if you actually understand what you claim is a mathematical argument.
 arwen52
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Why sex?
Posted: 8/20/2011 7:57:13 PM

Most species that have existed have gone extinct. We have been around something like 1/10th of the amount of time of the dinosaurs. Considering weapons of mass destruction and global warming, we may only last a fraction as long as they did.
 RandomScause
Msg: 30
Why sex?
Posted: 8/22/2011 9:13:08 PM
True hermaphroditism would NOT double the number of potential mates. Only in rare instances. In most cases, it would (double the potential mates -1), if the offspring are still to be diploids. (Diploid is a word that means "offspring of two parents, which carries the combination of the individual traits of both parents".)

In fact, the most effective way would be to reduce the potential mates to ONE, which is the self, and then one would not even have to get up from the tv chair and go to a bar to get drunk to get laid. You could do it without leaving the comfort of your own living room.

Another practical advantage of hermaphordism would be that nobody would need to defend against charges of "homophobism". I saw a post today on this site on a different forum (profile reviews) in which a chick vindicated herself, by saying "I am NOT a homophobe for not willing to date and have sex with GAY men!!!"

A third and huge advantage would be the ability to throw away sex examinations, for defintive sexual identification, when one wants to form a minion with ten males.
 RandomScause
Msg: 31
Why sex?
Posted: 8/22/2011 9:17:18 PM
well if you believe any of the math, life wouldn't have started even once. -----

That above is not true. It can be made true by adding another criterium:

"if you believe the christian credo, and disregard any of the math and earth sciences, then life wouldn't have started even once by way of what can be theorised purely scientifically. "

That's more like it.

Notice how I did not say "by chance" after "even once".

Coz I thought for a second, and came up with this:

I think that God's idea to create a universe and life happened to Him by chance.

How else was it going to happen to Him?

He needed someone to tell Him, or some outside stimuli could show Him what to do? No, that is impossible, it couldn't have happened that way before creation.

So...what MADE God to create the universe?

Was it conscious planning some time before creation, when He said to himself, "I will create a universe and life". If He did, then what prompted Him to say this?

Was he forever and for all eternity knowledgeable that at the time of Creation He will create a world? If He did that, why would He create the world when He did? What was His point of reference for timing creation? Obviously it happened once, the Creation, so how did He know when he would do this, if nothing existed before Creation, and no event or timeline could be drawn for him to plan a date in the future?

"I won't create it yet, I will create it in a week's time, or a month's time" -- except weeks and months, or any other way to calculate or measure time did not exist before creation.

Therefore I can't think of other reasons for creation and its timing but that a chance thought occurred to God that gave him the push to create the world.

Now, if this chance is not in the power of God, which it can't be, then WHAT GOVERNS CHANCE? I don't believe in chance, but if it was true that chance (reasonless events and reasonless timing of events) existed outside of quantum space, then what makes the outcome of Chance events happen, as opposed to all other possible outcomes? What is it that governs chance, and how did that thing exist outside of God before creation?

These are some questions I'd like to hear religious philosphers to answer, christian and otherwise.
 RandomScause
Msg: 32
Why sex?
Posted: 8/22/2011 9:19:52 PM
"The shuffling of genes which occurs between TWO parents, versus a single parent, provides for more diversity" ----

I don't see how that could be true. A single parent's offspring can mutate in the zygotic state just as easily and with no more effort, than the zygotes of the sex cells of diploid species.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Why sex?