Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 31
Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hello fellow fishermen and fisherwomen...

Well in fact she was a real, live person! Though she is an American (born here and lived here her entire life), her parents are Vietnamese and thus English is arguably her second language. So mystery solved and a lesson learned by me. What I learned by talking with her for a couple of hours is that the Asian community and cultural ties are incredibly strong. So strong that achieving a firm grasp on the english language is really secondary to maintaining a strong cultural connection and identity. The fact that she was on a date with a "white boy" would not have sat well with her parents at all!
I found that I had to speak slowly at times, and explain certain english phrases/idioms such as "the pot calling the kettle black" - I don't know how the hell that ended up in conversation, but I guess that's what happens you're two vodka tonics deep! lol.

I still maintain however, that the whole thing SEEMED really fishy! It boggles the mind that someone who has an associates degree, was born and raised here, and works in a bank as a teller, pretty much doesn't understand english grammar. Not a judgement by any means, just an observation. It goes to show that you just never know. I went on this date with the full expectation of having a drink at the bar by myself, chuckling about the wild goose chase I'd been sent on by a couple of teenagers in Bangladesh!

I would also say, that given all the responses on this thread of people who HAVE experienced exploitive behavior on dating websites, we should all beware! Despite the fact that this was not one of those times... proceed with caution is a lesson to take away from all this.
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 32
Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:02:13 PM
You're alive. Thank sweet baby jesus christie brinkley. (I dunno, stuff like that just comes to me.)

Glad you didn't end up in a ditch, and actually learned something from it.

Stay safe.
 MauriceSendak
Msg: 33
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:07:19 PM
Btw, LOL! On all the comments questioning my bravery, integrity, honesty, ect. First of all, I really do apologize if the post was misleading in any way. I really was just curious as to what peoples experiences have been and thoughts on what I felt was a suspicious series of emails. Secondly, just because I have conditioned myself to go into burning buildings and see a lot of things that most people wouldn't want to see, doesn't mean that that conditioning is directly translatable to all other aspects of a persons life! Bravery can run hot and cold. It really comes down to repetition and serious study, just like anything else...

take care and good luck out there!
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 34
Posted: 6/14/2011 12:16:40 PM
Well in fact she was a real, live person! Though she is an American

Whew! NOT Natasha Hentsridge!! We were worried about you!

Now understand that "common interests and culture" enhance longevity of most all relationships,
if that is what the original goals of each are..
And be careful out there in those bars! Can be ALL types of women in there! S
 forumfishie
Msg: 35
Posted: 6/14/2011 1:05:04 PM
"Though she is an American (born here and lived here her entire life)"

Whattttt????
Are you serious?
She was born here
Lived here her WHOLE life
Therefore went to american schools her whole life
Spoke english her whole life
and you are telling me that

"her parents are Vietnamese and thus English is arguably her second language"

OMG!
Do you realize how UN-believable or Ignorant you sound now?
So anybody who has parents who came from another country but were born and raised here HAVE bad grammar and horrendous spelling??
She had never heard the pot calling the kettle black??
Really??

I do like and respect Firefighters and the job they do
But I'm doubting you are ONE

You sound more like a troll now

"I have conditioned myself to go into burning buildings and see a lot of things that most people wouldn't want to see, doesn't mean that that conditioning is directly translatable to all other aspects of a persons life! Bravery can run hot and cold."

No $hit!

You said this on your OP
"I've messaged a woman back and forth several times and now we're set to go out. She's ATTRACTIVE and seems nice.

So you could tell she was attractive but you couldn't tell she was VIETNAMESE??

So, you knew, she wasn't white, she must LOOK vietnamese, but you never thought that's WHY her grammar wasn't perfect??? Before you knew she was here from day ONE, when she was born, you KNEW she was Vietnamese but you just felt like
Starting a thread about suspicious, predatory e-mails??
You neglected to mention that minor detail??

When you knew all along she was Vietnamese
But now you come back saying
English is arguably her second language BECAUSE her parents ARE Vietnamese???

Seriously , you must know people in general have bad grammar and NOT because your parents are or not geniuses or were born in this country

"So mystery solved and a lesson learned by me. "
What was the lesson?
Is bad to tell lies?

And honesty must run hot and cold too, just like bravery, right??
Hang on to your beanie is going to be a bumpy ride
You must get away with a LOT of stuff just because you are cute
Good for you
 UglyFroggieCritter
Msg: 36
Posted: 6/14/2011 1:09:28 PM
Wow.

Actually he said her parents were Vietnamese, not Korean.

Where does this anger and bitterness arise from? It's quite unattractive.

Froggie.
 I-am-Rei
Msg: 37
Posted: 6/15/2011 4:08:25 AM
I could understand forumfishie's POV. I have a friend who was born here in the Philippines to both Filipino parents. She immigrated to the US at the age of 9 and we still talk even when she got married and I could say that the way she speaks is all Americanized with the diction and all, that just hearing her speak I would not recognize her from the kid she once was. She adapted to the English language like it's her first language. You do not need to speak slowly with her.

I have cousins born in the US to Filipino parents, and raised there. Though they do understand our native tongue, English is also their first language.

I was born and raised here but I understand "the pot calling the kettle black" the first time I read/heard that.

dreamsofu2
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 9:50:11 AM
Well?? Did you meet her yet? How was it? Lol, we are all waiting to hear all about it.
 DaneenRocks
Msg: 39
Posted: 6/15/2011 11:54:00 AM
Agreed. This sounds very fishy, so to speak. Nobody working in a bank, having to deal with the public, is going to speak or write that way. She sounds foreign, which would be fine, if she said she was foreign. But anyone who claims they've lived in the US for 30 years cannot claim to be foreign either. I smell a scam coming on.
 dreamsofu2
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2011 12:53:48 PM
Wow. I work in an industry where there are alot of Asians as well. If he gave her the opportunity I know that aside from loving to gamble, they are dedicated to their men. So much so that they stand while their husbands eat first.

I am good just having dinner on the table and tall glass of sweet ice tea ready when he comes home from work.
 Drew7896
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/18/2011 7:47:22 PM
Well man I had a girl message me that was a freaking 10 and in about 5 messages I was able to put together she was full of shit. I got her to admit that she was not a 10, even if you took out her piercings, she lost 70 pounds, and shaved her mustache should would not of even been in the freaking decimal system. So yeah bud, be careful
 Maggiec44
Msg: 43
Posted: 6/19/2011 3:25:09 PM
Don't waste your time! She is either playing games, she is not a she, or she is just a complete idiot or ignorant. Do you still want to meet with someone who is so retarded? Someone who can't express herself? Please be pickier! There are hundreds of girls out there that can speak properly. It does not matter if she is from here or from another country, but if she cannot write correctly, do you think she can speak?
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 44
Posted: 6/19/2011 3:38:29 PM
Good heavens, people, judging by some of the profiles I've seen, people who CAN actually write, spell and speak are rarer than hens' teeth. Most of us forum regulars are used to expressing ourselves, and we jump all over each other for typos and lousy writing. Maybe this gal is one of the majority of folks who is poor at writing and does none except for texting and emailing her friends, who most likely don't care that she can't spell nor use proper grammar because they can't either. Being Vietnamese has nothing to do with it.

As far as the associates' degree? She could have gone to community college. They have to accept anyone and everyone. She isn't the freaking bank president, she's a teller - last time I checked, writing skills weren't required for that job.

Finally, I do not think the OP is trolling; he seems sincere - and he's just as cute as he can be.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 45
Posted: 6/19/2011 3:39:56 PM
Oh, and I have had predatory emails (not on PoF, but on match dot com) - I can spot them a mile away.
 cheryl1229
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2011 2:53:04 PM
Google "romance scammers". There is a web site, where you can print a list of "signs that you may be talking to a scammer". Read it, print it, compare it, and think about it. If you are getting red flags, it is always better to be cautious. There are people out there, especially in foreign countries where there are not privacy laws, that can do very bad things to you, your computer, etc. POF has a reputation among the scam victims group (of a couple of thousand members, who were victims of scams in one way or another), of being the best at policing itself and taking down scammy profiles.

But one of the "sure signs" is really bad spelling & grammar, never using a capital "I" when talking about oneself, and not understanding slang terms correctly. I was on a chat with a scammer once, where I misspelled "I mean" and it came out "i mena", and they started asking for my mother, because they thought they were talking to someone named "Mena", who they assumed was my daughter. The actual person he was supposed to be would have discerned the difference.

Scammers make a full time living out of doing what they do. They are usually a group of 5-6 people, usually young men pretending to be everything else. There is a photo gallery of people whose pictures have been lifted and used in scam profiles, including celebrities and normal, unsuspecting people.

Check it for yourself, and protect yourself.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 47
Posted: 6/27/2011 5:06:16 PM
How hot is this girl that you are putting up with all this pesky nonsense?!!

I'm guessing she must be a "100".

And I totally believe that she has a degree from a community college. I've witnessed the English professors at mine bending over backwards pushing ESL students who did not have solid English language or writing skills, right through their classes, as though they're doing the poor things some big huge favor *sniff sniff* (all the while holding the native English speakers to an incredibly different, higher standard), or like they're certain they're earning big points with the PC police.

All part of the declining value of college degrees, I suppose.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Does this sound like fake/predatory emails???