Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Casper66
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Electronic CigarettesPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I hadn't heard about these e-cigarettes before the post, thats why I asked about the vapour released, it would be a good way to quit smoking but if it is only a substitute then it might be a good idea to say it in the profile so the person knows what you are actually smoking, not sure how much they look like the real thing to avoid confusing your date.
 viper1j
Msg: 31
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/20/2011 3:17:38 AM
The math ain't that hard..

You're on a date: If after the meal, he/she takes a smoke out and steps outside with a lighter, then it's a real cigarette. However:

If they simply take something out, stay in their seat and start puffing away in the restaurant, then it's an e-cigarette.

Having said that, and in response to a statement that was made earlier, I'm not sure that there's a " proper " or " improper " way to use them. I do have a friend that purchased one solely for the purpose of being able to smoke inside, while continuing to smoke his regular brand of cigarettes everywhere else.

I chose to stop smoking of my own accord, and electronics cigarettes simply the method that I chose instead of nicotine gum or patches. Not everyone makes the choice that I made.
 GrandmaBooBoo
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:56:40 AM

CAN YOU USE THESE THINGS AS A MEANS TO ACTUALLY QUIT SMOKING? Or are they just another form of smoking?
YES, TDH49, you can. I've acutally heard that some hospitals supply them to patients who smoke, who are not allowed or able to leave their rooms/beds.

PS. ROFL @ the "electronic Twinkies"!
 Molly Maude
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/20/2011 6:46:09 PM
congratulations to both viper and unix for getting UN-hooked! how ever you did it ... whatever worked!

never actually ate a Twinkie ... but if someone invented low calorie BISCUITS ... ehhh ... who am I kidding?? ... they'd probably be like the "fat free" Oreos and potato chips that caused anal leakage!

Island home
Msg: 34
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/20/2011 11:11:58 PM
I have recently been successful in switching from analog to electronic cigarettes. I have been wondering which smoking preference to indicate on my POF profile. Also wonder if it makes any difference to the non-smoking or smoking community if a person has made the switch.

Just change your profile to non smoker and tick the drug taking option

never actually ate a Twinkie ... but if someone invented low calorie BISCUITS ... ehhh ... who am I kidding?? ... they'd probably be like the "fat free" Oreos and potato chips that caused anal leakage!

Maybe POF needs another option to check if prospects have nicotine stains in their undies
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 37
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/21/2011 2:44:34 PM

Humm I have considered the drug taking option to be used for illegal drugs , not drugs such as nicotene or caffeine, etc.

Yes because remember kids as long as the government is able to make a buck from it, it is an ok drug but the rest are bad, mkay.

..For me, electronic cigarettes have been a wonderful alternative to regular cigarettes. Maybe they should be called "electronic nicotene delivery device" to calm the fears of the non-smokers and used-to-be-smokers..

Regular cigarettes will die off and the tobacco companies are already ahead of the game creating new and fun ways to get your drugs, 3rd world would counties excluded, they just go in and pay the government off to they can market directly to teens.

http://www.mydiscountcigarette.com/cigarettes-news/innovative-smokeless-products
 viper1j
Msg: 39
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 6/30/2011 8:25:41 PM

Either quit smoking or not. If you are smoking electronic cigarettes and the only difference is the smell and the smoke in the air, you are still a smoker, addicted to everything about smoking cigarettes. And, if you are going to be truly honest and warn off people who do not want to be around people who smoke, you will say in your profile you are a smoker.

All righty then.. As long as those that feel this way state they are active drug users, and they are addicted to caffeine, which , in it's natural form, is a dry white powder that has only TWO chemical distinctions between it and cocaine.

When those people declare on their profiles they're druggies, I'll declare myself a smoker.
 viper1j
Msg: 40
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 7/1/2011 5:10:11 AM

But congratulations to anyone who has managed to actually stop smoking with these things. Not sure of the long term effects, but it's much less damaging than inhaling smoke. I would suggest that people using them aren't technically smokers, but they are still using a drug. And if your vaping habit controls you as much as smoking used to, you're still a full-on nicotine addict.

Except that I've been on zero nicotine since December. So the only "habit" I have left that's smoking related, is vaping with that first cup of coffee in the morning, and after a REALLY big meal. (Thanksgiving pig out)
 veevee
Msg: 41
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 2/25/2012 11:30:58 PM
I've been a smoker for over 20 years.
The best I did quitting was about 2 weeks. I always missed the cig around or got jittery - let's not even talk about irritability.

Anyway, I got an ecig tonight from the gas station - it's disposable.
So far it seems sort of strong because I'm on ultra-lights and this is a "full flavor". The only choice was this or menthol. This one is really too strong for me, if I suck it more than a blip - it sort of chokes me.

The concept is neat though because I was reading about the different ones.
I'm trying to decide which one to use as a brand since this disposable I know is too strong - it's called 21st century from a speedway.

The best brand I think that I'm seeing so far is Blu and here's why.

I don't want the liquid drops because I have pets and if they were to ever get into it - death by nicotine poisoning - also if I dose myself I could be prone to use more - plus some sources claim that you can spill the stuff and overdose yourself because it will seep right into your skin. I don't really want to use gloves and a pipette to fill up my little ecig if I can buy it pre-filled. This company sells theirs prefilled.

- it's smaller than this big one i got
- it has a usb charger so i could charge it at the computer - very cool to not use another plug in the room
- the pack has a battery so you put the cigs in the box to charge while roaming
- instead of being a red tip they are blue
- instead of being white they are black
- both of those things let people know im not using a real cig and i think might cause less panic in non-smoking places?
- they have levels of nicotine so i can start lower like i want
- they even have a NO nicotine version - that sounds like the ultimate way to quit - get used to the ecig then dose yourself away from it keeping the physical habit by reducing the nicotine puffs and increasing the non nicotine puffs then totally removing the device all together once the chemical addiction is gone - if you can't drop the ritual of having and using the cigs - who cares, it's water vapor and you aren't taking in any nicotine

Does it sound like I found the right one to try or what?
Anyone have any experiences or suggestions that match what I like about these things?

They don't have glycol but according to the epa it's not an issue anyway.

General Toxicity Observations
Upon reviewing the available toxicity information, the Agency has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol. This conclusion is based on the results of toxicity testing of propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol in which dose levels near or above testing limits (as established in the OPPTS 870 series harmonized test guidelines) were employed in experimental animal studies and no significant toxicity observed.
Carcinogenicity Classification
A review of the available data has shown propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol to be negative for carcinogenicity in studies conducted up to the testing limit doses established by the Agency; therefore, no further carcinogenic analysis is required.

b. Determination of Safety to U.S. Population
As part of the FQPA tolerance reassessment process, EPA has concluded that there are no endpoints of concern for oral, dermal, or inhalation exposure to propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol. This conclusion is based on the results of toxicity testing of propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol in which dose levels near or above testing limits (as established in the OPPTS 870 series harmonized test guidelines) were employed in experimental animal studies and no significant toxicity observed. The Agency has determined that the established exemption from the requirement for a tolerance for propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol meets the safety standards under the FQPA amendments to section 408(b)(2)(D) of the FFDCA, and that there is a reasonable certainty no harm will result to the general population or any subgroup from the use of propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol. In reaching this conclusion, the Agency has considered all available information on the toxicity, use practices and exposure scenarios, and the environmental behavior of propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol.
Because no toxicological endpoints were identified for propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol, the Agency has determined that exposure to it does not result in human health effects of concern. Therefore, a quantitative risk assessment was not necessary for this pesticide.
c. Determination of Safety to Infants and Children
EPA has determined that the established exemption from a requirement for a tolerance for propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol, meet the safety standards under the FQPA amendments to section 408(b)(2)(C) of the FFDCA, that there is a reasonable certainty of no harm for infants and children. The safety determination for infants and children considers factors of the toxicity, use practices, and environmental behavior noted above for the general population, but also takes into account the possibility of increased dietary exposure due to the specific consumption patterns of infants and children, as well as the possibility of increased susceptibility to the toxic effects of propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol residues in this population subgroup.
In determining whether or not infants and children are particularly susceptible to toxic effects from propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol residues, the Agency considered the completeness of the database for developmental and reproductive effects, the nature of the effects observed, and other information. The FQPA Safety Factor has been removed (i.e., reduced to 1X) for propylene glycol and dipropylene glycol because there is no pre- or post-natal evidence for increased susceptibility following exposure.

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration/REDs/propylene_glycol_red.pdf
 Viper1E
Msg: 42
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 2/26/2012 4:39:42 AM

By molecular weight, cocaine and caffeine aren’t that much different,

Pretty much what i was talking about..

Anyway, I got an ecig tonight from the gas station - it's disposable.
So far it seems sort of strong because I'm on ultra-lights and this is a "full flavor". The only choice was this or menthol. This one is really too strong for me, if I suck it more than a blip - it sort of chokes me.

PUT IT DOWN AND WAIT A WHILE!

If you google " e-cigarettes side effects" (with the quotes) You will find that you're suffering a nicotine overdose. I had the same issue. e-smokes don't go out. You hold them longer than you would a regular cigarette. If you hold them, you puff.

Several websites suggested swapping the atomizers between one full, and one zero nicotine.I chose to just watch the clock. 10 puffs and then I don't pick it up for at least one hour.

Perfect Electronic Cigarettes. Google is your friend. Buy a rechargeable, and do your own refills..

You get the equivalents of 32 cartons of cigarettes for $7.89
 veevee
Msg: 43
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 2/26/2012 9:20:07 AM
Thanks for the info on the possible OD - this was only 2 hits so I pulled back but I think that makes sense that you could hold it forever and not remember to stop.

Geez that is so cheap - this will certainly be a cheaper habit even if I'm buying dud 0 nicotine versions too at the start.

Carton I bought last night - 58 bucks and we are cheaper than most.
 MsMicki
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 2/26/2012 6:27:52 PM
I've been on my e-cig since New Years....
and I am lowering the nicotine every couple weeks....
won't be long and I'll be at zero........WOOT!

I agree the "cheaper" version from the gas station was way too strong for me.....and you cannot lower the nicotine other than full flavor, light and ultralight.
Spend the money and buy the American made that you can lower the nicotine levels with.
Around here, there are "Green Smoke" stores that sell them.

btw........my b/f is a non-smoker and he says there isn't any kind of cigerette related taste or smell to me anymore.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 5/28/2012 2:17:12 PM
how do you know which brand to start with? online, I found three companies claiming to have "American made" e-liquids ... ranging in price for starter kits from $20 (plus shipping) to $55 (plus shipping) ... one company put quote marks around "American" made so I'm guessing it wasn't REALLY American made ...

I didn't notice any advertisement that made a comment about raising and lowering the nicotine levels ... do tobacco stores carry the e-cigarettes ??? maybe if I saw them in person, I could ask the sales clerk ...

I have a friend who has smoked as much as 3 packs of cigarettes daily since he was 13 ... he's on oxygen now ... uses steroid inhalers ... but still smokes regular cigarettes, altho he HAS gone to filters! his birthday is coming up in June ... wonder how thrilled he'd be to have a starter kit as a present!

edit: do you need to have a prescription for the nicotine ???
 brijk2
Msg: 46
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 5/29/2012 12:51:55 AM
its not so much what your smoking

more so the fact that you need to smoke
 Aries_328
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 5/29/2012 7:35:06 PM

CAN YOU USE THESE THINGS AS A MEANS TO ACTUALLY QUIT SMOKING? Or are they just another form of smoking?

Yes you can. I have.

When smoking for real I had wanted to stop for a long time and worked down to half a pack. I could go an entire weekend without smoking if forced to. I found the e-cigs and tried them and they sucked. This was a while ago. The kit was over $100.00 and the one that I got was from a company that I had figured out just has real bad quality control. It was totally frustrating.

Instead of taking 5 to 10 minutes to go outside or find some way to have a smoke I would sneak in a little hit. I then found that I felt like a futuristic crack addict sucking on an electronic drug.

So, what I did was... I got the strongest oil. I looked up and found out that it was an entire little community of people 'vaping' and read the tips on how to make them work better. For mine I found that plugging one of the air holes made it work properly. Then from there its just a constant effort to keep the damn thing charged.

Because I was able to get it strong enough to be meaningful and have that feeling in the back of my throat, called a 'throat hit', I was able to move over to only e-cigs. Instead of taking that 5-10 min break it was just a quick few and especially my most difficult time was on a 45 minute commute it started to pretty quickly resolve the stress.

There is no smell. No after taste. No nastiness. After you do it for a while and go ahead and try a real one it tastes exactly like it did the first time you ever tried to smoke. It tastes like crap. You taste the ash. Then you notice you get nothing extra out of a real one so you’re good with the electronic one.

Eventually... maintaining the thing is just a pain and you use it less and less and keep it as a crutch. by that time you realize it no longer really matters. If you feel the stress it is available and there is no guilt taste, no guilt smell, no bad smelling clothes, hair, and hands. It was just a little crutch.

You hang out with people that smoke. You can try one and again it tastes like crap. So, if you brought your own your good but there is no danger of going back but you really don't want the real one. It's kind of nasty.

Eventually... who cares how long it takes. You forget to bring it with you or the battery is drained and you just don't charge it for a while because you didn't feel like dealing with it.

So yes... I can help you quit.
 SammieKae
Msg: 49
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 8/30/2012 10:38:16 PM
Has anyone caught the ads floating around this site for a disposable e-cig brand called "Clover"?

I clicked one briefly the other night and was super stoked as this has become my go to brand for the last few months at my local 711 here in Boston, and the deals they were showing here looked so much better.

Haven't seen it since hmmm.... If anyone comes across the ad can you please post the link here? I found their regular site, but they obviously have some special deal thing that you can only find by clicking through on the ads they put up here. Much appreciated!

Cheers!
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 50
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 8/31/2012 2:19:14 AM
I list myself as a smoke occasionally.

I use the Blu brand ones. Battery life sucks but has the cool charging pack thing. The blu colored tip also helps avoid people thinking it is a real cig
 Quasimodo11543
Msg: 51
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 8/31/2012 7:13:04 AM
There's a big difference between inhaling a burning plant and water vapor with nicotine in it.

It MAY not be the healthiest thing to do but, it IS healthier than inhaling a burning plant.

Sometimes I think peoples minds are so narrow, they could slide them through an ATM machine.

Oh, and I don't view someone who smokes an E cigarette, as a smoker. Just a nicotine addict.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 52
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 8/31/2012 11:35:29 AM
I had a couple of dates with a guy who used one of these. His emitted steam which I found kind of annoying -- especially in restaurants or out in public because it looks like a real cig and people were always staring. And I later found out he'd been using it for like a year. Isn't the purpose of those things to wean yourself off the oral fixation in a month or so? He had that thing going non-stop most of the time.
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 53
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/4/2012 4:57:07 AM
^.. that is from the UK and from yahoo...LMAO

You believe everything you read on the internet?
 Dreamer_in_SC
Msg: 54
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/5/2012 2:44:39 AM

The article is on uk yahoo, but the article is based on a study done at the University of Athens.
Research at the University of Athens has found that ‘smoking’ a vapour inhaler for 10 minutes increases the amount of airway resistance in the lungs.

You miss understood.

I could go to yahho (which is why most post there) and say the University of whatever did a study and found that posting on the forums gives you carpel tunnel and even if it is NOT true or a legit study it stays there because most of those types of posts are done where treaties between countries regarding conflicts between citizens would need to be followed just to get a false post removed.

Simply put.. If you attempt to give something some credibility by SAYING a legitimate university did a study it does not mean any such study was actually done. The fact you would consider it as having validity just because of a name used is exactly why the internet is filled to the brim with false statements and since no real slander to the universities is committed they remain intact since it is too costly to dispute things like that across country boarders.

Unless you are reading it from the university itself contained on a medium that they themselves are in sole control of you have to automatically reject any such claims because they are just BS and some persons propaganda posted in an attempt to send out fake information.

It really is that simple... anything important for findings get released by the schools THEMSELVES and are available at the terminal located in the campus libraries in their entirety with all their supporting documentation included as well as contact information of all faculty involved.

So Again I say. Do not believe everything you read on the internet or even these forums most times. The vast majority of it is just a bunch of BS
 chameleonf
Msg: 55
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:01:43 AM
I'm new to this and decided to pull up this old thread. In the three plus years since the last post, what successes or otherwise have any of you had using E-cigs or reusable vapes?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 56
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/16/2015 4:26:15 PM
The first major study of e-cigs was published in the Lancet a couple of weeks ago. They concluded that vaping is 98% safer than smoking. So even if you never give up the e-cigs, they're still safer than just about anything else you can do.
 funchesf
Msg: 57
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/16/2015 9:39:07 PM

Also wonder if it makes any difference to the non-smoking or smoking community if a person has made the switch.

probably best to ask the teens that's hooked on those products

what's the motto of Organized Religion and the Tobacco companies?

"Get them while they're young and you'll have them for life"
 474lakebreeze
Msg: 58
Electronic Cigarettes
Posted: 9/18/2015 9:18:48 AM
I'm on my third week with no cigarettes and I'm using an e- cig with middle level nicotine. It's been great so far as it keeps the nicotine level steady and it handles my hand/mouth issues as well. I'm going next week to get another container with no nicotine and will alternate. My thing is to get off nicotine altogether. So far, I'm more than happy with it all.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >