Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Second Coming of the Great Recession?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 12
Second Coming of the Great Recession?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

What I advocate, is self-education, that starts with TRYING to teach yourself to think independently.

Definitely. This is what I've been doing for 30 years and it has worked for me. I follow my own financial canons and it has served me well. A lot if people I see do not simply manage their funds nor do they practice economizing to
Prepare for the lean times like this.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Second Coming of the Great Recession?
Posted: 6/18/2011 4:45:39 PM

It's going to rake each American, working and saving and supporing family and being more idealistic to stay afloat and come up with ideas to make it through IMO.

Maybe they don't want people to live as long as we are living today. Maybe keeping a person alive longer was a mistake, because the cost entailed is way over the top. Sounds a lot like "Logan's Run". They wanted only people 39 years old, and below to survive. Anyone older was considered spam.
 shakeitupbaby2012
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/18/2011 5:36:50 PM
That's a rather macabre viewpoint OP.

Just my point. When one starts thinking in terms of 'they' rather than 'i' and 'we'.
It's going to take individualistic effort as well as a concerted effort.
I'm as much to blame as anyone. I/we should have, and still should , push the heck
out of Congress et al to cut spending and balance the budget, and to cause them to
impale big govt as they keep clabbering about.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 8:04:01 PM
Among many things that make this all so tricky from my point of view, is that once the decision is made to start cutting government spending and following a budget (even if one completely ignores the obfuscations of it all by the politicians), is the TIMING and SEQUENCE of the cuts.

In my own life, I know that I can't simply cut a flat percentage out of my own budget when times are hard. That ignores that there are somethings that are more important than others, and some things that actually require INCREASED spending on in tough times. The current powerful people who are advocating the toughest cutting, haven't given any indication that I can see, that they understand this, and that worries me. All the politicians who are advocating more cuts, are protecting those things that they benefit from, or that their supporters do. For example, I was just reading elsewhere here that this guy Ryan who has garnered lots of attention for demanding more draconian budget cuts, especially in programs for the common folks, nevertheless still supports tax breaks for oil companies. He benefits directly from them.

Another thing I would REALLY like to know for sure (if possible), is who is right about the various government bailouts and so forth that have been in recent events. I've heard a number of reports to the effect that almost all of the free loans to private institutions have already been paid back. If that IS the case, why are we still hearing all this talk about how horrible it's been for the budget that they were made to begin with? I understand someone having a philosophical problem with not letting large private corporations fail in a "natural" fashion, though I have problems with THAT as well, since a number of the ones that were in danger, were NOT in danger because they screwed up within their own areas of expertise, but rather were put into jeopardy by the games being played in the derivatives/investments markets. The damage that would have resulted would have fallen more on the peasantry than on the people who caused the demise. It rather strikes me as wanting to let our ENTIRE house fall down, because we messed up and allowed the garage roof to leak for too long. At the same time, I don't care for the notion that a corporate entity or wealthy individual can hold the rest of us hostage, simply because they are BIG AND FINANCIALLY CARELESS.
 Tah,
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/18/2011 10:07:54 PM
Maybe they don't want people to live as long as we are living today. Maybe keeping a person alive longer was a mistake, because the cost entailed is way over the top. Sounds a lot like "Logan's Run". They wanted only people 39 years old, and below to survive. Anyone older was considered spam

Its interesting that just this week several billion has been donated to african charties so they can adminster vaccines for several ailments that effect the death rates. Interesting again that Great britian donated .7 % of GDP to this cause yet the unemployment levels are high and recently alot of uni fees rose to apoint most can't afford with any quality of life while studying (unless mummy and daddy are rich)

The reasoning behind this is they want to turn these african comunities yet to be a consumer driven economy into one, the more kids survive the more ipods and shit they might sell, the more fighting there may be which wil require more arms and so on.....most other places are all progressioned out, except Africa.

Yet the worlds population has already passed tipping point,
 UnixGrand
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2011 11:48:55 PM

Yet the worlds population has already passed tipping point,

It just passed 7 Billion. Where will they keep these people? How will they clothe them? How will they feed them? There seems to be no change in the African continent since the 1980's.
 Casper66
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 2:31:16 AM
FrankNStein, very true it isn't a new thing that politicians and big business help each other out and the oil and car companies working together to bury inventions or buy the patent rights to technology that would interfere in their control of the market. I remember hearing how one the first electric cars was scraped due to pressure from oil companies years ago. Lobbists and political contributions give big business and wealthy individuals access to law and policy makers that the average citizen doesn't have, but it is still the average citizen who pays the majority of the taxes to the point that the middle class has been exterminated and we are now left with the rich and working poor. Just who do they think is going to be left to buy anything with all the jobs going to places that have cheap labour, poor safety/health in order to increase profit margins for these corporations.
 Tah,
Msg: 19
Posted: 6/20/2011 4:16:09 AM

It just passed 7 Billion.
scary.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 20
Posted: 6/20/2011 4:56:58 AM
We are still in a Great Depression so a recession wouldn't have much impact. You can't go by the propaganda that is printed every week on the net and in papers. For example, housing statistics are taken three different ways and every week someone posts a rosy outlook while another post is talking double dip. You can't believe any of this BS. Until interest rates rise and jobs come back it ain't over until it's over and the FEDs know it.
 ohenryx
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 1:15:47 PM

However, that is not the root cause of the current economic malaise gripping most of the world. For the US, it was a series of stupid moves on the part of politicians who thought that by stroke of a pen they could legislate housing for all, by forcing mortgages to be given to anybody, whether they actually qualified or not.

Say what? What alternate universe are you dealing with? No politicians, Democrat or Republican, legislated or attempted to legislate "housing for all". The bad mortgages were generated by greedy mortgage brokers. No one was forced to give out mortgages, they gave mortgages to people who were not qualified because as long as housing prices went up they could not lose. But if housing prices were to ever go down......
 UnixGrand
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 1:27:38 PM
Now for those of you who will say well that is what the US has been doing for the 10 years plus, so why is it not working and why are we now back to levels of income disparity like we saw during the times before the great depression?

And here I thought that after Sept. 2008, they were ready to give the money to the people. We almost had the upstream flow, until they gave the T.A.R.P. to big business, and $787 billion to government projects. See if they gave it to the citizens, people would have spent money. Which in turn would have helped the economy. There's only 311 million in the U.S. If everyone was given a million, it still would have been less then giving it to WallStreet.
 matchlight
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 3:21:28 PM
The problem is that people earned that money to begin with. How else does the government get it, without just creating inflation by increasing the supply of money? It's really just redistributing wealth, not creating it. One obvious way to put more money in people's hands is to let them keep more of what they earn.

A temporary moratorium on income tax and on federal environmental regulations, along with opening up oil and coal production, would do a lot to fire up the national economy. So would having a president who is not a Marxist, and as such openly hostile to capitalism and profit. Mr. Obama is, at heart, the most un-American president this country has ever had.
 matchlight
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 6/20/2011 5:55:07 PM
^^^^I'll think about offering examples when you back up the silly things you've asserted here. It's clear to me you don't know even the ABC's of economics.

I'm sure you know more about "talking points" than I do. If I ever saw one, I didn't recognize it as such. I offered my opinion, based on what I know of Mr. Obama's past associations and statements, and on his actions as president.

Do you not think that you would be creating a bigger problem that a future generation may have to clean up?

Maybe. But the benefit to us now might be far greater than any harm it caused. As someone who's studied and written about federal environmental laws and regulations, I'm convinced we have far too much of it. We could easily relax or eliminate many rules without damaging much of anything. And they are an enormous burden on this economy. But the tens of thousands of employees in the EPA and other administrative agencies involved have to keep up the scare to justify their existence.

Your concern about future generations is misplaced. Nothing is hurting them more than the this administration's economic policies. Obama will be long gone when they have to pay for his pipe dreams with a lower standard of living and oppressive taxes. There's no other way to pay for all these proposals.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 1:13:38 PM
You know I'm not a Democrat. But a lot of people are wishing this President fails. If he fails, then we all fail. It doesn't matter what affiliation you are. My country, and the way my country is portrayed in the world is important to me. So everyone can take sides, left, right, center, Democrats, Republicans, conservative, liberals.... Only our children suffer in the end. We all need to be on OUR side, and support what needs to be done as well as help to mold this great country.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2011 1:51:02 PM

I agree with others that the GOP's main objective is to make things as bad as they possible can, only to make Obama look worse.

I agree as well. Also, both Bush Sr., and Bush Jr. destroyed this country. Like I said I am not a Democrat, but I agree that Clinton brought us to a surplus... And W. killed it. Not to put any Republicans down for my comments.... I thought Richard Milhaus Nixon was a great President. His foreign policy was his best suit. So he got caught. They are all up to something. JFK was a great president, as well as Ronald Reagan, Yes I know he was an actor.... but he took a down and out country from a peanut farmer, and turned it around.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Second Coming of the Great Recession?