Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Pandy
Msg: 6
Spelling, grammar and punctuation in profiles.Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
buckle up boys, I'm moving this one to the "picky azz details" forum.....ops.....I mean "off topic"

On topic: Just joking....it annoys me too , sometimes....but mostly only when it's a result of laziness....not the average everyday mistakes that we all make. We're not writing dissertations after all :)
 lost wee fish
Msg: 7
Spelling, grammar and punctuation in profiles.
Posted: 7/20/2005 10:51:37 AM
Pandy -your so hot when your funny!

OT: it just wont work, nice try though.
 WeekendHuntressKatelynn21
Msg: 8
Posted: 7/20/2005 11:00:40 AM
It's not the spelling that gets me..
unless the bad spelling is so bad
an elemetary student could do better.

It's the words themselves..
We all make spelling errors.. no one is perfect right?

just my 2 cents..

Katelynn
 astrosky
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 7/22/2005 10:20:09 AM
"could care less"

It's "couldn't care less". If you could care less, it means you care somewhat.

And I do care somewhat about spelling.
 Mrs.Bucket
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/17/2006 11:14:41 AM
i do enough papers for school that require thought and punctuation...i could care ;less about that crap especially on forums and i think its extrememly ridiculous petty and immature for people to be correcting everyone all the time...it's like GET A LIFE!!
 junipermoon
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 8/28/2006 8:11:12 AM
usage tells me a great deal about an individual's background.

i can't see myself spending time with someone who uses words like 'y'uns,' 'yous,' phrases like 'i seen' or 'he don't' or who can't differentiate between 'there,' 'their,' and 'they're.'

sorry...it's just a quirky thing with me.
 Mojo_LA
Msg: 35
 GeraldHoward
Msg: 48
Posted: 12/2/2006 10:52:21 AM
So yeah, If you can spell correctly then do it. You are showing yourself to people so If you never spell check and you make alot of mistakes normaly when you spell and you don't correct yourself any other time why do it now. I suck at writing and spelling but I normaly try to fix somethings.
O and I hate these posts by people that try to pick other people's work because there is ALWASYS someone that is smarter then them and will pick you work apart for mistakes that the normal person doesn't care about. If you like thinking you are smarter then others, keep your mouth shut so no one will show you haow stupid you are.
 smith2267
Msg: 49
Posted: 12/14/2006 1:41:04 AM
I don't correct spelling or grammar on posts--if I did, I would not have time for anything else--but I would think that people would want to know if their profile, or worse yet, their screen name contained an error.
Just like I would think someone would want to know if they had food on their face, or toilet paper trailing out of the back of their pants.
I guess I'm wrong, though--some girl just got pissed off at me for telling her that her sn contained an error.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/8/2007 1:47:33 AM
Of course it matters . I guess we can all make an occasional spelling error . Too many times I see people misspell very easy words . They spell prefer.... perfer or lose...loose. Yikes this drives me crazy . Oh that double negative or preposition at end of sentence . Do not kid yourself , grammar is important , especially on a profile , when one can take the time and get it correct.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 57
Posted: 9/6/2009 3:57:46 AM
1000 years ago most people didn't even speak "English"...1000 years from now, most people will be speaking/ writting ChiSpanglish.

and ya'll are getting all "WeeWee'd up" over a period or a comma
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2009 7:50:14 AM
Olny srmat poelpe can.

cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

if you can raed tihs psas it on !!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2009 8:42:58 AM
Just trying to infuse a little humor and perspective into the thread Ismene.

Personally, I am also pained by some the laziness of language of some folks. I also suffer from not using schpell czech, writing without finding my reading glasses, and the growing cultural tendency toward looser writing styles. When I was reading profiles, I tended to winnow out those who had writing skills issues. I am naturally drawn to people who can write well, but easily overlook small errors. It's all a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer slack writing styles, and some prefer not to be corrected on their writing errors. I find it nit-picky, that some must resort to correcting small errors in others writing, vs. addresssing the actual content of a post.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 9/6/2009 11:11:42 AM
OP, you might want to check your own spelling first.
 junipermoon
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 9/7/2009 8:54:34 AM
There should be a period after 'spelling' and a capital 'T' in 'there'.

this is incorrect. the word although acts as a subordinate conjunction, which by its very nature introduces a dependent phrase incapable of standing on its own. the word there gets called in to reflect back to and prop up the dependent phrase, which, left to its own devices, would topple over into the nothingness we recognize as the dreaded sentence fragment.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2009 2:19:48 PM
For those dealing with dyslexia, there is a support group, DAM ( Mothers Against Dyslexia).
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2009 4:34:25 PM
Ad Nauseum is both a local repetitive advertising agency, and, a museum of said repetitiveness...as in "See Rock City". I tend to refer to the accomplished American author Dave Barry for all things 'Merican languageish for clearificationish..

http://psy.otago.ac.nz/r_oshea/WFP/WFP2e/WFP_chapter2/wfp_chapter2.html

ie..
Published 1992, in the Miami Herald

DAVE BARRY

Once again it's time for the popular educational feature ``Ask Mister Language Person,'' brought to you this week by Ray's House of Fine Adverbs. Remember Ray's motto: ``Proudly Serving You, Eventually.''

Our first grammar question today comes from concerned reader Brian Cameron of Elora, Ontario, who writes: ``Just what does it mean when someone says, `But, by the same token'?''

A. In grammatical terminology, this is what is known as a ``constipating conjunction.'' It is used to separate two statements that would sound stupid if they were right next to each other.

EXAMPLES:

-- ``Unemployment will definitely decrease. But, by the same token, it could increase.''

-- ``In 27 years of marriage, Todd never noticed Marie's tentacle. But, by the same token, he was a fine tennis player.''

------

Q. In the song ``The Joker,'' what is the mystery word that Steve Miller sings in the following verse:

``Some people call me the space cowboy

Some people call me the gangster of love

Some people call me Maurice

'cause I speak of the (SOMETHING) of love.''

A. According to the Broward County Public Library, the word is ``pompatus.''

Q. What does ``pompatus'' mean?

A. Nothing. Steve made it up. That's why some people call him ``the space cowboy.''

------

Q. How come we say ``tuna fish''? I mean, tuna IS a kind of fish, right? We don't say ``tomato vegetable'' or ``milk dairy product'' or ``beef meat,'' do we? And how come we call it ``beef''? How come we don't say, ``I'll have a piece of cow, rare''? And how come we say ``rare''? And how come the waiter always says, ``DID you want some dessert,'' instead of, ``DO you want some dessert?'' Does he mean, ``DID you want some dessert, before you found those hairs in your lasagna?'' And how come everybody says ``sher-BERT,'' when the word is ``sher- BET''? And how come broadcast news reporters end their reports by saying, ``This is Edward M. Stuntgoat, reporting.'' What ELSE would we think he's doing? Hemorrhaging? And how come some people call Steve Miller ``Maurice''?

A. Those particular people call EVERYBODY ``Maurice.''

------

VICE PRESIDENT QUAYLE (reading from a cue card): You forgot the ``e'' in ``tomatoe.'' Alsoe ``Ontarioe.''

------

Q. Last year, when your son, Robby, was doing a fourth-grade homework assignment that required him to use the word ``combine'' in a sentence, what sentence did he write?

A. He wrote: ``Unfortunately, many people have died being shredded by a combine.''

Q. Are you making that up?

A. No.

Q. Are you concerned about it?

A. No. But, by the same token, yes.

------

Q. According to a March 18, 1992, New York Times article sent to you by alert reader Melanie Allen, what were Russian anarchists chanting at a Moscow street demonstration?

A. They were chanting: ``Eat Gaseous Worms.'' The Times states: ``Nobody figured out what this was supposed to mean, but the slogan stirred considerable emotion.''

Q. ``Gaseous Worms'' would be a good name for a rock band.

A. Yes. Another one would be ``Raymond Burr's Legs.''

------

Q. What do The Dalai Lama's friends call him in informal social settings?

A. They just call him by his first name.

Q. They call him ``The''?

A. Yes. They say, ``Hey, The! Don't hog all the Tater Tots!''

------

Q. According to alert reader Wes Munsil, what can the letters in ``H. ROSS PEROT'' be rearranged to spell?

A. ``SHORT POSER.'' Two other combinations, developed by top editors in the Style section of the world-famous Washington Post, are ``SPORT HORSE'' and ``POSH RESORT.''

Q. Did they work these out on company time?

A. Of course. They are journalists.

------

Q. Speaking of journalists, did an alert reader named Dennis Fazekas recently send you an article from the Tulare, Calif., Advance-Register concerning a prisoner who escaped from the Tulare courthouse?

A. Yes.

Q. And what did the headline say?

A. It said: COURT ESCAPEE STILL ON THE LAMB

------

TODAY'S TIP FOR NOVEL WRITERS: Remember that you can make big money if your novel is made into a movie, so in your writing, always be alert for opportunities to include scenes that will appeal to the motion-picture industry.

------

WRONG: ``Apprehensively, Hugo entered the room.''

RIGHT: ``Apprehensively, Hugo entered the room and found Julia Roberts in there naked.''

VICE PRESIDENT QUAYLE: You forgot the ``e'' in ``Hugoe.''

Copyright © 1992 The Miami Herald
 junipermoon
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 9/8/2009 5:21:35 PM
^^^ thank you!

i love dave barry (he pays me to say that).
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2009 5:59:12 PM
there's a POFer who's one of the sweetest, smartest, most insightful people to post here regularly. her observations are wise and expressed kindly. she also has high cheekbones, long light-colored hair, slender hips and a good job.

because of her mild dyslexia, she makes a lot of typos and and punctuation errors and her constructions are clunky. if she lived in my time zone, she'd have been one of the first women i'd emailed.

the techniques of written communication rank pretty low on what's really important in a partner.
 kari135
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2010 8:05:17 PM
Willen jullie je profiel in Nederlands schrijven? Just kidding, but I mean many people do not speak native English and I'm one of them.

It's easy enough to recognize those who speak English as a second (or third or fourth) language, and that is not a problem. The ones that irritate me are the home grown onee who are semi-literate at best who claim to have at least some college education, but still have trouble spelling their own names the same way twice in a row.

I know, picky, picky. But if I can proof read and fix typos before they become permanent, and I don't always bother to do so, anyone can. If they really can't spell or are dyslexic, there are plenty of spell and style checker programs available. Even the email program on my computer has a spell checker.
 Havcer
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/10/2010 9:38:58 PM

number of guys on this sight

Irony.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2010 1:54:46 AM
There, their, they're now folks. You're, your, yore...just getting a bit nit picky. Settle in for a quite evening and review the basic rules from Mr. Language Person.
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/dave-barry/story/1042922.html
 simplesol
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2010 7:39:07 PM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that has a problem with spelling and grammar. I can tell the intellect of the person by the email they write. And for some of them, it is a real TURN OFF to get a kindergarten type response with all the words misspelled and running together for sentences. There is nothing like sitting there trying to figure out what they are saying. It makes you think they dropped out of school in the 4th grade and would not be able to carry on an adult conversation. Just had to put my 2 cents in. Sorry guys if I offend you, but this is my opinion. I can understand some typos here and there, but every word??? Too extreme for me. :( I see that, and I think "under achiever" and "no thanks".
 kari135
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2010 8:42:09 PM
I saw a profile just today that had me shaking my head. Man claims to have a Master's, has maybe three lines about himself which includes "I am a educated man, like fine dinning, and good conservation."

I was not tempted to ask him just what good conservation meant to him.
 Soul Union
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/15/2012 12:00:41 AM
Halokitty ~

Your post made my day - brilliant.

Down Under, where I come from - or, rather, where I live - there are profiles here, especially from younger women, I have noticed, that would curdle your guts. It's not simply the construction of words or the spelling, or lack of it, or the in-yer-face photographs of them punching the air, or kicking a wall, or sticking their chin out to look tough and unwelcoming, or spitting at the camera, or any other combination of hostile-looking postures designed to turn the viewer right off, it's the general lack of interest in what they are saying. "go out wiv ma mates," they say. "dnt waist [sic] my time!!" shrieks another in her most engaging and welcoming style.

I have noticed this deadbeat, brain-dead style in the younger generation, to the point where I honestly cannot tolerate reading more than a line or so before brain death takes over and I need resuscitation. One profile really turned my stomach: "dont contact me if you have women friends." Well, that's that, then.

Sometimes I just cannot get my head around the modern world and its severities and extremities. Everything is now in yer face, right up close, to the point where, when a simple 'yes' is replaced by absolutely!!!!!!

Yes.

Peter
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >