Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 christ on a crutch
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Spelling, grammar and punctuation in profiles.Page 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
there's a POFer who's one of the sweetest, smartest, most insightful people to post here regularly. her observations are wise and expressed kindly. she also has high cheekbones, long light-colored hair, slender hips and a good job.

because of her mild dyslexia, she makes a lot of typos and and punctuation errors and her constructions are clunky. if she lived in my time zone, she'd have been one of the first women i'd emailed.

the techniques of written communication rank pretty low on what's really important in a partner.
 kari135
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Spelling, grammar and punctuation in profiles.
Posted: 1/9/2010 8:05:17 PM
Willen jullie je profiel in Nederlands schrijven? Just kidding, but I mean many people do not speak native English and I'm one of them.

It's easy enough to recognize those who speak English as a second (or third or fourth) language, and that is not a problem. The ones that irritate me are the home grown onee who are semi-literate at best who claim to have at least some college education, but still have trouble spelling their own names the same way twice in a row.

I know, picky, picky. But if I can proof read and fix typos before they become permanent, and I don't always bother to do so, anyone can. If they really can't spell or are dyslexic, there are plenty of spell and style checker programs available. Even the email program on my computer has a spell checker.
 Havcer
Msg: 100
Posted: 1/10/2010 9:38:58 PM

number of guys on this sight

Irony.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 1/11/2010 1:54:46 AM
There, their, they're now folks. You're, your, yore...just getting a bit nit picky. Settle in for a quite evening and review the basic rules from Mr. Language Person.
http://www.miamiherald.com/living/columnists/dave-barry/story/1042922.html
 simplesol
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2010 7:39:07 PM

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that has a problem with spelling and grammar. I can tell the intellect of the person by the email they write. And for some of them, it is a real TURN OFF to get a kindergarten type response with all the words misspelled and running together for sentences. There is nothing like sitting there trying to figure out what they are saying. It makes you think they dropped out of school in the 4th grade and would not be able to carry on an adult conversation. Just had to put my 2 cents in. Sorry guys if I offend you, but this is my opinion. I can understand some typos here and there, but every word??? Too extreme for me. :( I see that, and I think "under achiever" and "no thanks".
 kari135
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2010 8:42:09 PM
I saw a profile just today that had me shaking my head. Man claims to have a Master's, has maybe three lines about himself which includes "I am a educated man, like fine dinning, and good conservation."

I was not tempted to ask him just what good conservation meant to him.
 abelian
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/27/2010 9:04:26 AM

And to be on-topic: no person is perfect with grammer, punctuation, and spelling; not even authors of best-selling novels. That's why they have editors.

I got a lot of free editing of my profile by offering a bubble bath to any woman who could find an error in spelling or grammar. They chickened out on the bubble bath, but did send corrections. A couple of women found some really subtle grammatical errors.
 Soul Union
Msg: 117
Posted: 7/15/2012 12:00:41 AM
Halokitty ~

Your post made my day - brilliant.

Down Under, where I come from - or, rather, where I live - there are profiles here, especially from younger women, I have noticed, that would curdle your guts. It's not simply the construction of words or the spelling, or lack of it, or the in-yer-face photographs of them punching the air, or kicking a wall, or sticking their chin out to look tough and unwelcoming, or spitting at the camera, or any other combination of hostile-looking postures designed to turn the viewer right off, it's the general lack of interest in what they are saying. "go out wiv ma mates," they say. "dnt waist [sic] my time!!" shrieks another in her most engaging and welcoming style.

I have noticed this deadbeat, brain-dead style in the younger generation, to the point where I honestly cannot tolerate reading more than a line or so before brain death takes over and I need resuscitation. One profile really turned my stomach: "dont contact me if you have women friends." Well, that's that, then.

Sometimes I just cannot get my head around the modern world and its severities and extremities. Everything is now in yer face, right up close, to the point where, when a simple 'yes' is replaced by absolutely!!!!!!

Yes.

Peter
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >