Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Tats for over 45      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 EvilScooby
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Tats for over 45Page 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I have more than a few tattoos, I love them, I don't get them in places that would affect my job. I work in an executive position and most people don't even know I have them.
Keep them above the sleeve line and get them on my legs and shoulders.
And I still plan on getting more. I also think it s very attractive on women no matter what the age.

I think that you have to be responsible enough to know your limits concerning your career path and current career
 cookie22222
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 5:32:11 AM
There is constant discussion in my office regarding tattoos being COVERED...and dressing appropriately (with younger staff members). We try to explain to them that you are going into people's homes in a position of authority, and if you want them to respect that authority you have to look PROFESSIONAL. It's summer - every summer email after email goes out about appropriate office attire and that if you bend over to get a file no one should see that tramp stamp. One just went out from one of our attorneys about wearing hose to Court, no bare shoulders, ties for the men and NO visible tattoos - I mean really? I know that society as a whole has become more casual, younger people see it as normal and just don't know where to draw the line. I often wonder if that sort of idea of what is and isn't professional will change as their generation becomes the older and established generation.
 URXO2
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 6:51:43 AM
moraima quote:

Natural inks are made from plants. Made right here in Canada, and are regulated.
Holistic meds, plus simple things like vitamins in Canada, require the manufacturer to pay $50,000. per product to have it certified to meet Health Canada Standards. If they won't comply, they don't get to sell it here.

Canada has always been a more progressive Nation, we should adopt more of your
policies, unfortunately we have a major political party that based it's philosophy on
deregulation even if that means poisoning it's citizens in the name of profit.

Karma, a visible tattoo will limit any future promotion opportunities not to mention
the possible heath implications, it's also permanent they fade in a matter of years which means you'll need to inject more toxins to hold the color..
 browneyesboo
Msg: 29
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 8:11:17 AM

BTW, for better or worse, I notice these just "happen" to be a lot of the same folks who also appreciate the finer points of tattoo "culture". But maybe that's just a coincidence.

I think this is a stereotype indicative of the area in which you live or it's just an off
hand "humor" remark stemming from this thread or perhaps the harley thread.

Anyway, I have a tattoo. I'm an accountant. I don't shop at Walmart, I don't do
lostsa drinking, I don't smoke and I don't eat junk food. I do ride motorcycles
(but not harleys). There are actually a lot of intelligent people out there with tattoos. Having a tattoo doesn't always suggest personalities or lifestyles.

Maybe the folks you notice are more vocal about their disdain for people who put
them down for their choices, while people such as myself are more subdued and
subtle in their assessment of you, while you're making a judgement of them.

By the way, one of the biggest reasons for not getting a tattoo seems to be how we'll feel
or look at the end of our lives or when we hit old age. Personally, if I look back and I can honestly say my tattoo(s) were the biggest regret of my life, I'll be one happy
camper.
 mateo45
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 10:25:32 AM

I think this is a stereotype indicative of the area in which you live or it's just an off
hand "humor" remark stemming from this thread or perhaps the harley thread.

By the way, one of the biggest reasons for not getting a tattoo seems to be how we'll feel
or look at the end of our lives or when we hit old age. Personally, if I look back and I can honestly say my tattoo(s) were the biggest regret of my life, I'll be one happy
camper.

Aside from my own "preferences", it's still definitely a "cultural" thang. For example, WalMart.... lotsa folks with tats. Nordstrom's, etc.... not so much. How do you explain that?

And you're welcome to imagine your tats make you feel like a "goddess" in your own mind, whatever. But re: "when we hit old age", do you really think the, um, "sagging" parts of your aging flesh are gonna be "enhanced" by those equally sagging "black & blue" marks?

"Gramma, what are THOSE?!!"
 browneyesboo
Msg: 31
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 10:45:42 AM

And you're welcome to imagine your tats make you feel like a "goddess" in your own mind, whatever. But re: "when we hit old age", do you really think the, um, "sagging" parts of your aging flesh are gonna be "enhanced" by those equally sagging "black & blue" marks?

"Gramma, what are THOSE?!!"

See, I don't get this rational. Do people really show their "sagging parts" to their
grandchildren..in fact, do they show them to ANYONE besides their significant
other? Do old people really walk around with their bits hanging out? Do old people
really give a flying crap what someone else might think? WTF?

I see you have goddess in quotes...not sure who you're
quoting, I certainly never suggested I think I'm a goddess. But I do shop at
Nordstrom and I'm pretty sure I won't be walking around my grandkids naked,
but to each their own.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 32
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 11:05:44 AM
Have one. On my wrist. A one and a half inch morning glory. Got it at age 35. The colors are the same, the out lining has "smudged", but it doesn't *sag*. . . . I worked for a Big Eight accounting firm, and put on a wide ivorine bracelet to cover it during the interview. Three months later, my boss and her boss took me to lunch. I reached for something, and her boss went ACK!! Did you have that when I interviewed you? Yep. You gonna fire me? Na. You're too damned good!

Don't do Wal-Mart (boycotting since 2002), no longer have a Nordstrom's card. Mostly shop at Sally's with some eBay tossed in. Don't do any type of motorcycles, though most of my SO's have.

The same year I got my tatt, I looked into getting piercings all the way up and around the ear. Alas, I ran out of ear after three holes, and no one would do the cartilage. I've read War and Peace and the entire first volume of Proust's À la Recherche du temps perdu (in English). I've published poetry, and worked as a craftsperson as well as teacher and editor.

Perhaps we need not leap to too many conclusions about tatts or those who have them.

BTW, the year I got it, 1975, I was *astonished* at how many peeps came and told me about theirs. Had to laugh: theirs were hidden, but not in places *I'd* have wanted a tattooist playing. . . .
 mateo45
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 12:17:19 PM
Folks are welcome to have War & Peace tattooed on 'em, and I could care less. But when they put them "on display" (and you know the ones I'm talking about), they have no right to expect the rest of the world to share their particular taste in "art"! That's called "narcissism", which IMHO, is mostly what tats are all about anyway.
 URXO2
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 7:30:41 PM
I totally agree, it's a narcissistic look at me kind of thing, a total plastic claim to be the wild-thing, I'm not impressed by your foolishness..
 forumfishie
Msg: 35
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/22/2011 7:47:54 PM
"You do realize that they make invisible tattoos now that can only be seen with a black light?"

Get one of those OP
then you can be "different and unique" in secret
until somebody shines a black light on you
 soicat
Msg: 36
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 12:54:46 AM
Here's another thing about tattoos that's been bothering me for years: I don't think that women realize how beautiful they are.

A tattoo on a woman is like a felt-pen marker on a marble statue, it's a defacement, not an adornment. There are exceptions that can look OK I suppose, but I wish that women realized that they are perfect just as they are, and a bit of crude artwork does nothing to augment their beauty.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 37
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 4:18:01 AM
A tattoo on a woman is like a felt-pen marker on a marble statue, it's a defacement, not an adornment. There are exceptions that can look OK I suppose, but I wish that women realized that they are perfect just as they are, and a bit of crude artwork does nothing to augment their beauty

Much as it pains me to disagree with this lovely thought, I think some here are missing the point.
Tattoos are individual. They are an ancient way of expressing feelings, thoughts, ideas or just interesting decorations.
They're not for me - I don't like the pain factor and I'm not all that keen on them - but I don't think a tattoed person thinks a tattoo makes them look more beautiful. I think they think it makes them look more interesting.
They are telling a story about themselves.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 4:18:37 AM
The rejection of tats by business leaders is NOT just a matter of their own prejudice. It comes form the same concern that ALL "professional appearance" stipulations come from: the measurable prejudices of the CUSTOMER BASE.

It required the force of actively prosecuted law, to get the public to accept a number of social changes, in my lifetime alone. While I do welcome any changes that decrease prejudices of most any kind, I don't fault the heads of businesses for placing the continuing financial health of their business above the advancement of social issues.
 motown cowgirl
Msg: 39
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 4:36:57 AM
i don't begrudge anybody their tattoos, but there's pretty much a direct correlation between how others will perceive you and what kind of tattoos you have, how many you have, and where they are located. that's just the way it goes. and if you don't like that, there's something seriously wrong with your social skills. and that's not savvy.

if your goal is to be perceived as a "professional" , and i assume by "professional" you don't mean professional biker, circus freak, meth chemist, or felon, then please don't have skulls and "born to kill" in gothic script tattooed across your neck and then complain about how people fail to take you seriously at board meetings.

when the day arrives that it's considered acceptable for teachers, clergy, business people, the Supreme Court, and POTUS to walk around looking like semi-literate trailer trash, i'll know this country has truly and permanently gone past the point of no return.
 ronosaurus
Msg: 40
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 5:20:00 AM
Msg:3 from *army mom* lends a whole new meaning to the expression "tit for tat".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 7:27:23 AM
I think if a person wants one, he or she should get one. The debate over whether or not they are "professional" reminds me very much of the debate, several years ago, as to whether or not black women could wear their hair in braids and be considered "professional."

Discrimination based on appearance is still discrimination, and very distasteful, in my opinion.
 mateo45
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 7:49:10 AM

I don't think a tattoed person thinks a tattoo makes them look more beautiful. I think they think it makes them look more interesting.
They are telling a story about themselves.

Totally agreed. But do you want "listen to" everybody's "story" who insists on "telling" you about it?

And yeah, I know you don't "have" to notice it, but like boom boxes and noisy people on cellphones, there's a lot of folks these days who work real hard to make sure you do!
 gypsyfyre
Msg: 43
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/23/2011 8:50:31 PM
Tats are like jewllery , I know a doctor with tats and I know a professor with a beautiful colored mohawk , yay freedom of expression
 Pingshooter
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/24/2011 3:52:00 AM
One just went out from one of our attorneys about wearing hose to Court, no bare shoulders, ties for the men and NO visible tattoos - I mean really? I know that society as a whole has become more casual, younger people see it as normal and just don't know where to draw the line. I often wonder if that sort of idea of what is and isn't professional will change as their generation becomes the older and established generation.

Cookie..as the age of the Judges change, so will the acceptance of tattoos/piercings/hair color/dress code during court. I have seen that happen in my career, more then once.

Very strict sense of decorum, then relaxed, now back to conservative, and seems to have swung to being more strict again. I'll wager it will continue to sway back and forth. And, let's not forget that the memo utterer is also one who is in a position to dictate what they want their members of service to appear as, regardless of overall standards. The golden rule is still alive as we have humans involved.

The new Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps just commented during a meet and greet at the Beufort SC Air Station, that the "no more then three" tattoos policy for the Corps is not something he intends to deal with, as he has other pressing matters in the Corps.

Tatts, of which I have five, two visable, also are becoming restrictive in police work. Some agencies have put out that if they are visible, you won't get hired. Some agencies have limited policy, some have a very restrictive policy.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring?
 Spider_MacGyver
Msg: 45
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/24/2011 3:53:12 AM
re: acceptance of tats for professionals, soon: I think mostly no. (If you're top in your field you can mostly get by with virtually any quirk but the rest of us will fare better sticking with the uniform.)

re: thinking hmmmm: I've got two. I love them. Safely hidden, to be private and practical (or is it chicken-hearted:)

re: being seen as normal. I'm curious to see if it becomes accepted over time, like ear piercing. Since it's a fad now, for some it's less rebellious and more comformist.

Why people do it, and how they feel about it, can be highly individual, but I'm not surprised at the polarized judgements.
 cookie22222
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/24/2011 5:48:49 AM
Hey Ping - that's a very good point about the ages of the Judges, etc. Although our "main" judge at this point was just elected two years ago - she's probably my age or maybe a little younger. I think for her it's been more about respect, because not only was it about being covered up, it was also about behavior (no pulling little bags of chips out, chewing gum, reading newspapers - YES I'm serious).

Again it's all about your viewpoint and what is the norm - I mean, it wasn't all THAT long ago that I wouldn't have been seen as properly dressed to leave the house without a hat and gloves!

I don't know, I just don't understand getting something that you can't cover if you WANT to...people change and so do trends!
 Pingshooter
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/24/2011 10:32:49 AM
There is one traffic judge..we use to cringe if a cell phone went off in his courtroom..he would go ballistic..I really mean..ballistic. That kinda set the mood for the rest of the day in court.

Nerve wracking to say the least..

Eh, tattoos are personal. I do have to wonder about some of the younger men wanting to get into public service and getting 'sleeved up'. Which is the serious trend here with three local military bases within an hours drive. That's a lot of money to spend, and it does prevent many of them from going into public service..at this time anyway.
 Giggles10000
Msg: 48
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/25/2011 7:07:53 PM
Wow, ever notice how judgmental some people over 45 are...and they wonder why they are alone!

The world is not the same place it was when we were growing up, casual fridays...women in management, the only constant is change and one thing that has changed is the view most people have toward tattoos. I have had this argument with my kids about it and I asked them what are you going to do when you have an important interview ...and their answer was "unless it is an old person like you...they will probably have a tat also.

Having a tattoo is not a right or wrong decision..it is simply a personal one. Judging others for expressing themselves the way they want to is what is wrong.
 Welsh474
Msg: 49
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/25/2011 10:30:52 PM
I interviewed two young women today for a position in our law office. If they had visible tattoos they wouldn't have been considered. My son has a couple of tattoos that are easily covered by his short sleeved shirts. I don't hate tattoos, they just aren't the norm in some professions.

There is another thread started about a gal who was kind of icked out by the fact her new beau had a tattoo of his ex wife on his back, this bothered here. I can see small tasteful tattoos but to put your wife or girlfriend on your body and having them end up as an ex is just poor judgment. Or names too for that matter. And I don't care what someone says, they start to look like crap on wrinkled skin.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Tats for over 45
Posted: 6/26/2011 4:08:58 AM
sigh..Holly..you need to post a disclaimer, when posting links like that...

I really like my coffee in the mornings..somehow..it tastes different, yucky now..I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Tats for over 45