Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 81
What do they see when they look in the mirror?Page 4 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)

I just mentioned things about myself and posted some pictures and let the people that read my profile decide for themselves.

Yes...your profile reads very genuine.

I did the same...just enough for someone to get an idea as to my character, likes and dislikes. Most of my pictures are current.

And I agree...why don't they smile... that's the first thing that draws me in.

...mae
 Telegram_Sam
Msg: 82
What do they see when they look in the mirror?
Posted: 8/21/2011 11:25:51 PM
This is America. Apparently average is 50-100 lbs over the upper line in the HWP chart. While that is technically an accurate description it might be misleading to some people who confuse HWP with Average.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 83
Posted: 8/23/2011 9:05:05 PM

Because the reality is your all prostitutes ! You try and lure us with your looks to get our money !

Thankfully, not all men think the way you do, so you can't speak for all of them.

That's if we have it to give ..If we dont where ****ing useless aren't we ?

Not all men are useless---just the bitter, misogynistic ones.
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2011 10:16:27 PM
I found the remark the most ignorant I have read on here.
The only thing prostitutes ARE interested in IS Your Wallet.
 Kaliphornia
Msg: 85
Posted: 8/23/2011 10:30:20 PM

^^Pretty much.

If that was sarcasm, it was pretty funny. If it's NOT sarcasm....it's still pretty damn funny!
 browneyesboo
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/24/2011 7:44:40 AM

Doesnt really matter what shape we men are in does it ? ..

Its whats in our wallets !

If prostitution was legal where would you ladies be ?

Because the reality is your all prostitutes ! You try and lure us with your looks to get our money !

That's if we have it to give ..If we dont where ****ing useless aren't we ?

Yes, it's true. We've been found out. " If they could invent a vibrator that killed
spiders and danced the cha cha, we wouldn't need youse guys at all".

Harleyrider713
Msg: 87
Posted: 8/26/2011 11:23:53 AM
I was talking with my brother about self image yesterday. When I look in the mirror I see a fat guy, although I'm not. Growing up, I was told I was fat constantly, but looking at old pictures this wasn't so. But it's the mental image I have of myself. Now my brother who is very heavy, recently saw a picture of himself on his motorcycle and started to ask who's the fat guy on my bike. Then he realized he's the fat guy, but in his mind he's still skinny. Our self perception is skewered . javascript:smilie('')
 kari135
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2011 5:25:57 PM

Well .... looks like ... Braveheart ..... chickened out of PoF.

Actually, he didn't. He was run off by a gaggle of forumites. His message box was filled with some extremely nasty messages, and he just decided it wasn't worth the hassle being a member anymore.

I've been in contact with him off site for some time, and he's a nice, ordinary guy. But apparently his opinions of what's happened to him and his perceptions just didn't meet with general approval.

Unless you think being called a 'sexual predator' an okay thing to do to anyone who happens to disagree with the "I won't settle" and "I know what I want" contingent.
 KLChef4U
Msg: 89
Posted: 8/26/2011 6:33:53 PM
I spy with my eye the young self rightous young man of my youth in the mirror.
Its the pictures that bring back to reality. Im constantly trying to make the right choices (diet, excercise), I just cant crush a bag of fritos and a 2 liter coke with out having some serious impact on the 20 year old I see in the mirror.
 sushisue
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2011 8:57:04 AM
I looked at your profiles, you guys from Calgary, Alberta, and there isn't a thing wrong with either one of you in the looks department. I don't understand all the fuss about lost youth. All is lost when you are dead...then we move on to whatever is next and this life doesn't matter. I don't look like I did at 22 but some things are better...like I have the wisdom to pick my battles and appreciate people for what they are. If I spent my time bemoaning the fact I'm not in my 20' anymore I couldn't enjoy my 50's! I'm a teacher and spend a great deal of my time around young people. They remind me of the difficulties that young people have. No age is immune to difficulties, both physical and emotional. Shake off the blues and get out there and get involved in life and you forget your "age". I bet my two musical posters do just that and have a blast. Like me
 kitkatathome
Msg: 91
Posted: 9/6/2011 8:10:46 PM
When I glance in the mirror, through half open ,sleepy peepholes, my first thought is; Who is that old woman? And why is she wearing my housecoat? Oh yeah.....
 TalllNDark
Msg: 92
Posted: 9/9/2011 2:43:56 PM
By and large I think its the difference between our ideal vs. actual selves, how we like to think of ourselves and what we would like to be versus how we really are. Its a self awareness thing that I don't really think is limited to a certain age group.
 rosebuddnc56
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2011 1:38:12 PM
I see fat when I look in the mirror and I think once you have been heavy, its hard to see slimmer. My hair is silver now and I have wrinkles and I dont mind looking my age, I earned it after all. I really dont want to see myself as looking older than 56, but then no one does
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/26/2011 8:18:02 PM
I saw the profile of a man yesterday who is 6' 2" and 280 pounds. He said that he was a bit overweight but certainly not obese. I checked the charts and the obesity point for this height is 234 pounds; the severe obesity point is 310. From what I could see in his pictures, he looks obese--it certainly isn't muscle.

So, what does HE see when he looks in the mirror?
 pretzelman60
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/26/2011 11:56:20 PM
Most people put in their profiles what they see in the mirror. Their vanity gets in the way of their true appearance. Unfortunately, what others see is not the same thing that they see.

JMO
 DudeistPriest
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/27/2011 1:22:38 AM
I think I look my age if not older, but often get told I look younger, sometimes 10+ years younger. I don't see it. I know I feel thinner than I look, if that makes sense. I look in the mirror and think,"Do I really look like that? When did I start looking like Ernest Borgnine?"
 URXO2
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2011 10:34:31 AM
Got my drivers license renewed today when they took my picture and put it up on that big screen all I could do is think who is that old man it can’t be me!
 TraveliciousGuy
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:32:11 PM
I'm 55, and actually I see pretty much the same guy I saw 20 years ago.

20 years ago, I was 5' 8" tall, weighed 175 lbs., had a 34' waist, blue-green eyes, and a lot of gray hair (prematurely gray)

NOW...I'm 5' 8" tall, weigh 175 lbs., have a 34" waist, blue-green eyes, and a lot of gray/silver hair.

And I've been the same every year in between. Some things don't change so much.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:38:03 PM

And I've been the same every year in between. Some things don't change so much.

I look better than I did 20 years ago because I lost quite a bit of weight.

But as for changing or not changing . . . I met a guy who looked several years older than his pictures. He said that they were 3-4 years old but he didn't see any need to post new ones because he hadn't changed any. He looked the same weight, I think he didn't know his true height, but his face had deep wrinkles that were not on his face in the pictures. (I am pretty sure I wrote this on a much earlier post on this same thread.)

That was over four years ago, and he still has the same pictures on his profile. When he looks in the mirror, does he not see those deep grooves? New pictures are not only for weight gain or loss, but other aspects, as well.
 richv96
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/27/2011 10:26:09 PM
I have wondered the same thing. I am well aware of the fact that I don't see myself as old, or as old as my birthdate suggest. I am aware of the ever increasing wrinkles, gray hair and odd hairs growing wear they never did before. I pluck, I color, use skin cream...lol. The point to me is I don't try to converse with 20 to 30 yr olds, however I have plenty of e-mails from 60+ men. I had one asking " is 69 to old for you"? I answered," being my mother is 71 I think maybe a bit".
 rearguard*2
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 5:02:20 AM
Me, I look at my younger brother I find he looks really old and worn out, so I figure I must look even more old and worn out. That is when I know I am delusional when I dream of a sweet young 46 year old female companion.......
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 103
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:29:26 AM
...I attended my niece's wedding last month and of course there were lots of family and friends in attendance. Looking around, I couldn't help but notice how everyone had aged since I last saw them..... especially the cousins my age.....I seriously thought they looked older than me.

But then maybe they're thinking the exact same thing about me.

It's true...I've been peering at this old face and body in the mirror year after year and I only see the subtle changes, another wrinkle...a couple more greys hairs, a pound here and there. I lift the skin from my forehead and eyes....much better, much, much better.

Damn the laws of gravity.

...mae
 browneyesboo
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/28/2011 8:34:05 AM
I think I already posted on here, but I'm too lazy to go look.
I like what I see when I look in the mirror. Although I know
I'll always see a fat person even though I'm not.

It only matters to me what the person that loves me sees, and
I'm sure his mirror will be as delusional or reasonable as necessary.

People fault others for not seeing their fat or unattractiveness.
Nothing wrong with looking in the mirror and liking what you see,
no matter how others see you. If you meet someone who's mirror
is visually challenged...just pass them on by...or if it makes you feel
better, you can point out their flaws for them.

In the end we like what we like and we choose who we want.
 Orgulloso
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/28/2011 11:10:04 AM
Hmmm...interesting topic.

I guess the ladies would have to chime in after I post but what do I see?

A 50 year old that is aging gracefully. No delusions of grandeur.

G
 rearguard*2
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/28/2011 1:35:22 PM

Not really delusional since I have dated men from 47 to 54.. All the ones my age are looking for spring chickens..

Looking for, yes, I would imagine. Finding......? Mature women have a certain allure that appeals to younger men. However, I wonder what a Spring chicken would find appealing in a "mature+" man?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >