Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Fraud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ekw1234
Msg: 35
FraudPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
((((I would like to share my experienced. When I was new on internet dating I encounter a few con artist, one was a young good looking white guy who clained that he was 48 with one son. he work as a rich business man selling computers in Africa, he can get his IM in when I am doing some research or playing games. In his third IM he told me (demand) to send him $800.00 so he can come back to the states and be with me ,I did not even encourage this guy for any romantic notions, At that time I am new to computer and afraid that he will put virus on my computer, so I told him that my racket is not doing very well, and I am always checking in jail instead of a motel. He never bothered me... The monthly fee on that dating site is $39.00..

We have to use our own judgement and be cautious on people,there are some good and bad people out there..))))))))))

Why would you even be having a conversation with this person. I am sure you figure you are pretty clever for that, but, I don't understand why anyone would even entertain any of it. I will not reply, no excuses, nothing. Just block, spam and report. come on people!!
 kailania
Msg: 36
Fraud
Posted: 7/15/2011 5:48:12 PM
wow i never knew how lucky i am not to have enough money to lend to strangers.
NEVER lend money to these idiots.
who would ask for money on a dating sight? omgosh.
 Vannili
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 7/16/2011 6:19:30 AM
ekanyua, Have you heard the saying don't judge that person until you are in his shoes and you walk a mile with him ?

Perhaps, politeness is the reason why I intertained his IM or I did not know at that time that I have to click the X so that small square thing (IM ) will disappear. At that time, I was new on computer tech so ,I don't know what is block, spam,or who to report to. Scammers are super polite,courteous,very kind, RICH, and vulnerable, that is the hand they deal with, to get a person's attention, one brashy move with them they can even sue you in court, and their" lies "are so convincing...
Con Artist ?I know how to play their game with out being RUDE, if I happen to be "in ' with them.

You know what ? it takes a time to know what a person motives whether it is GOOD OR BAD......
 ekw1234
Msg: 38
Fraud
Posted: 7/17/2011 5:56:47 AM
Vanilli go ahead and be polite to people who are trying to take advantage of you. Do you really think they care about that? Seriously????
 Vannili
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 7/17/2011 10:59:23 AM
ekanyua,
SERIOUSLY, Thank you for asking, I am doing very well how I run my life, and dealing with challenging people, I won't be in business if I don't know how to manage people in all walks of life ..

My advice : don't underestimate the mentality of others, but keep your mentally sharp at all times... In other words BE SMART to be ahead of the game, use kind words and be on the side of THAT person to OUT SMART HIM/HER..

Have you heard the phrase -----" Keep your friends close,but keep your enemy closer."
P.S.
Take this as a complement, if I were a man I would think that you are very BEAUTIFUL woman and it stop there...
 Vannili
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 7/17/2011 12:43:55 PM
Forgive the typo error > word " mentally" > but keep your mentality sharp at all times.
 Emilyluv
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 10/7/2013 6:35:58 PM
Just experienced the same thing. Guy kept asking me for money and when I refused he said he would send me a cheque from his investment company and I would cash it and send it to him. This is a facebook fraud. He is not even the person in the picture. Lots of this going on in Ghana.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 42
Fraud
Posted: 10/8/2013 11:21:27 AM

How do you keep your self from fraud when on a dating online?

Not trying to sound too harsh, but.... Having some common sense and not having the mindset of a naive 18 year old? ;)
It makes it so hard for me to trust men.

I think you should stop trusting your "gut".

This person played mind games and took me for $500 and I just kept probing for as much info that I could find. He had a friend send me a money order because he was out of the country so he wanted me to cash it at my bank and send it to him western union.

Although he was a slime ball, you need to start blaming Yourself for that, sorry. He didn't pull a fast one on you. He pulled a slow one that most teenagers wouldn't bite on. He deserves consequences for sure, for going after the small percentage of fools who'd fall for such laughable "tricks"... but ya gotta grow up.

My only advice is don't smugly discredit those who have been scammed as being stupid. Once scammed, a person gets way smarter than someone who has never had the experience.

I disagree. You don't need to fall for a trap that had red flags growing out of every inch to learn/know that it's bad.

At the expense of redundancy and for those who make excuses for themselves for being scammed in the first place... I respectfully repeat: Stupid is as stupid does.

Even though it sounds harsh, it's true. When we do something really stupid, we need to say "I was stupid", not "Can I get some sympathy around here?" and milk the victim card.

Oh, I can see the next "scam" tactic. Playing off like you've been scammed, then having dopes feel sorry and send you money that makes up for the money ya lost to some guy overseas who you can't ever meet (but fell in "love" with) - lol.
 sexandthepof
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 10/9/2013 10:06:09 PM
The episode from Dr. Phil's show on September 11, 2013 named Love Scams: Courted by a Catfish is very interesting. I hope I would not be in trouble to put the link here:

http://drphil.com/shows/show/2057
 jlynn1955
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 10/10/2013 7:22:13 AM
How do I avoid it? I don't send or give anyone money. Not. ANYONE. All the dating sites stress that. I can usually tell fairly early that the person is scamming, it's never reached a point where someone asked me for money. But if it did, I'd say no, notify the site and block the guy. period. no exceptions
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 45
Fraud
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:54:32 AM
If it walks and talks like a scammer and smells like a rat, yepper it's a scammer! 99.999999 % of the time I can smell the stench a mile away!
 TALLTEXAN2012
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 10/13/2013 5:51:18 PM
Whew...glad I saw red flags as soon as he mentioned money!

I saw the Dr. Phil episode also...carbon copy of the scammer on POF that said all the right things.

ALWAYS trust your instinct ... I was hooked until he needed money.
 DawnLuvs2Run
Msg: 47
Fraud
Posted: 10/24/2013 4:44:16 PM
Being new to online dating I was and still am leary about what's real and what's not. So many profiles start to read the same over and over...lol. My fav are the ones that you look at the photo and go wait a minute....yup, it's some one eslses photo.

No scams so far but I pride myself in being a bit savy that way. I'm aware of most of the scams out there. You read about them, hear about them on the news and friends share the stories on FaceBook. I feel for those that get taken. I met someone years ago, fell in love and thought he did the same. It was only after we split that a friend of his confessed to me the guy had only hooked up with me cause he thought I had money...ha ha ha, joke was on him cause I didn't...lol.

As far as online dating goes, I do have a good friend who has been online for a while. We chat about the messages we each get, especially the ones that seem a little suspicious. I had someone who seemed really nice emailing me. His letters were nice. They talked about his background, his family, etc. However, with each detail red flags were going of. By the 3rd email he addressed it Dearest Dawn and signed it Yours Mike..... getting a little too serious when wh have yet to talk by voice or meet in person. According to his profile he lived in town but we had yet to talk about meeting. The final flag was on the 3rd email he included his phone number. The area code did not match where he claimed to live. I chatted with my friend, he suggested I reply in my normal tone but inquire about the phone number. If it was legit, I would get a reply and we could continue. If he was building to a scam, then I would not likely hear from him. Guess what, yup, he never replied to my last email.

If something sounds too good to be true especially so quickly it likely is. Be it money, sex or my heart, I ain't giving either away until I'm good and ready. I might buy the coffee but that's about it...lol.

Good luck in the pond everyone, just be careful who you let play with your "bait"...lol.
 justinkc1234
Msg: 48
Fraud
Posted: 12/12/2014 6:21:13 AM
well this one is for every one their is a web site called (419 fraud.bitten us.com) it shows the most recent scams they have and how to deal with these jerks. I took their advice and got the dummies real name and am going to spam it whare ever I can find a place to do so

Receivers Name : Maduka Peters

City: Lagos

State: Lagos

Zipcode: 23401
this guys a real prick pretending to be a 26 year old girl in south Africa hes got a great backround story and can bs for days before he asks for money
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 49
Fraud
Posted: 12/13/2014 11:30:45 AM

By doing this:

Dont ever take a money order from someone that you dont really
know.

Asked and answered in your own first post.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 50
Fraud
Posted: 12/13/2014 2:55:18 PM
You need to keep yourself educated on fraudulent intent with regard to everything you do online. There are people out there that will try and sell you a job through craigslist, all you have to do is pay for the application process and you're guaranteed a job.

Ok so I came across this little gem of a **stard. The guy was literally trying to con people by selling a job, through moneygram services. Apparently there is a 100 dollar fee for “application processing” lol.

I guess people can get creative, but there are so many reasons that type of hiring process would be straight up unlawful.
The point im trying to make is people get creative, so you aren’t always going to know. Common sense is your ally, when you’re not warned of malicious intent. The general rule – if its too good to be true. Yup.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 12/17/2014 11:20:56 PM
There is no answer to what I'm going to say.

We all live in local communities where we all want to be surrounded by honest, decent people, and by far and large, we are.

I just don't get how there are so many people in this world who have no scruples, and basically live to take advantage of others. And stealing or scamming doesn't bother them one iota.

It takes effort to try to scam someone. This world is a beautiful world, why not put any extra time or effort one might have, into something positive?

I don't get it.
 Dan198508
Msg: 52
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 6:40:59 AM

you could lose your money or get prison time.

How do you go to jail for getting scammed?!

I just don't get how there are so many people in this world who have no scruples, and basically live to take advantage of others. And stealing or scamming doesn't bother them one iota.

If someone is able to scam you, that someone needed the money much more than yourself. If she sent 500$ without a second thought, she probably had a home, food, bed, etc. the person scamming the 500$ may not have a place to sleep.

Once there was a big shop owner in a village. A robber came in to steal silk. In the dark the owner was standing with an ak-47 and the robber was caught. The store owner told him, you can take what you want and leave with both the silk and your life. The robber grabs a piece of silk and runs away.

Then, the manager argues, "boss, you had a loaded ak-47 and caught him, why let him get away?!"

The owner replies. He is a kid from my village, his parents died not long ago. He has nothing and I have everything. Where do you think my fortune comes from? It comes from them, the villagers. They all work for me.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 7:06:29 AM

If someone is able to scam you, that someone needed the money much more than yourself. If she sent 500$ without a second thought, she probably had a home, food, bed, etc. the person scamming the 500$ may not have a place to sleep.

Most criminals are not doing crime because they're hungry or destitute. They just don't have moral values which says they should treat others like they'd want themselves treated.
Inner city kids get caught up in gangs where they have to show they're 'macho' by hurting others. And where are the parents to teach them values?
It has nothing to do with "needing the money much more than yourself". Poor people get stolen from too.

Your store owner story with an ak-47 is a sweet story... but pretty out of tune with reality today.
 Dan198508
Msg: 54
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 8:14:04 AM

Inner city kids get caught up in gangs where they have to show they're 'macho' by hurting others. And where are the parents to teach them values

Thank you for your comment. I believe they are doing that because teachers in their school and parents taught them:

I teach that your self-respect should depend on an observer's measure of your worth.

And so, unless they impress their gang members, they get no self-respect. The purpose of that line is to make the student strive and struggle in order to meet expectations. The observable outcome is the gangs, it's kids shooting up their school because they were bullied and lost self-respect and so on.

So even behind the worst criminals, there is conditioning they have received that poisoned their minds. Many blame the mind, I blame the conditioning :)

I know it's easy for a parent to say "unless I think you're a good boy, you're not good. It's all about what others think of you. And when your shirt is dirty, they think you're a bad boy!"

It may work momentarly because the kid will stop getting his shirt dirty, but then he may shoot up his school or kill someone to impress his gang members because it's all about what others think of him you see? Hmm...so it's not worth taking that risk. It's better for parents to teach more compassionate approaches to life.
 BeckyHT
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:12:38 AM

I believe they are doing that because teachers in their school and parents taught them:

I think you surely grew up in a different place and different era than I.
Teachers taught them? Teachers would be fired in my area if they elicited bullying and gang action.

Parents are responsible. For raising their kids right to the best of their ability. A majority of kids get raised correctly, but unfortunately, there are many that aren't.
 Dan198508
Msg: 56
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 10:31:33 AM
^ Re-read my post.
 Boshed
Msg: 57
Fraud
Posted: 12/18/2014 11:00:07 AM
" How do you go to jail for getting scammed?! "

In some countries it's against the law to be ridiculously stupid.
 not_single_x
Msg: 58
Fraud
Posted: 12/30/2014 1:35:41 PM

kaylanicholas:
I got caught in one just recently. It makes it so hard for me to trust
men. For one thing that I learned dont trust until you actually
see the person.

Let's do dinner this week and I'll show you how to be safe. You'll have to pay because I'm short of cash but I'll reimburse you with a money order I happen to have right here in my back pocket.
 petula1908
Msg: 59
Fraud
Posted: 1/3/2015 11:30:19 PM
Greed can overcome any feelings of skepticism and my neighbour has just invested his life savings with an online commodities options company who promised 50-70% return. He spoke to some cyberspace guy in Eastern Europe who befriended him, showed an interest in his personal life etc. When he went to withdraw it plus his huge profits, guess what, he couldnt. The agent he was dealing with had to go home for his grandmother's funeral and just disappeared........oh yeah....

The scammers are very patient, will groom you and many others at the same time, for months, by being very plausible, polite and charming, say what you want to hear and present themselves as attractive desirable people. Anyone who falls for it is letting their egos, their loneliness or whatever, rule their actions. Head not heart is the way to go!! We are warned often enough and there is no excuse to be conned.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > Fraud