Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > NY becomes 6th state to legalize gay marriage      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 176
view profile
History
NY becomes 6th state to legalize gay marriagePage 8 of 13    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13)

Because there is no proof that Homosexuality is not a "Chosen" lifestyle,if we allow Gays to marry, then you open the door to any others being allowed to marry, regardless of age, familial relationship, number of spouses, etc..because they have "Chosen" that lifestyle.....Give me a good reason why they should be allowed to marry?

Do you also require a good reason why people of different races should be allowed to marry? Different religions? Different hair colors? Those are far more clearly "choices" than homosexuality is.

As has often been noted, if sexual preference were simply a choice, why in the world would anyone choose to be subjected to all the ridicule, prejudice, and discrimination that comes along with it?

I, like others, have seen no rational argument presented why gays should not be allowed to marry. There are ample rational reasons why age and familial relationships should be factors, and one simple rational reason why the number of spouses should be limited is that marriage provides certain legal privileges, and it makes sense to limit that to one partner. Personally I could care less if three or more consenting adults want to act as if they were all in the same marriage, but I would support one two of them being able to claim spousal privileges from a legal perspective.

As I noted earlier, the simple solution to me is for the government to just get out of the marrying business altogether. Let any two adults be able to go through a legal process to become civil union partners able to enjoy all legal privileges currently enjoyed by spouses. Let faiths perform marriages to whomever they choose to, and couples seeking marriage rather than just civil unions can find a faith whose values are consistent with their own.

It's not the government's business who marries who, so long as both are consenting adults. All you folks supporting smaller government should like this approach.
 matchlight
Msg: 177
view profile
History
NY becomes 6th state to legalize gay marriage
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:46:05 AM
Gingrich is poised to arrest "activist judges"

First I'd heard of it. Do you have a source for that? I'm familiar with his proposals for reining in the judiciary, and arrest hasn't been one of them. Did he just add it, or are you imagining things again?

nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws . . . Equal protection seems to be a gray area for homophobes and others.

It seems to be complete terra incognita to you. By the way, what makes you think same-sex marriage would come to the Supreme Court as an equal protection issue? Lawrence v. Texas, which seems to be the most likely precedent for any same-sex marriage decision, was decided on due process grounds--not equal protection.

Ron Paul, Santorum and other reactionaries agree or guide the matchlights of this nation.

There is only one of me for you to contend with. And your ouija board is misguiding you again. I don't like much about Ron Paul; and although I agree with Rick Santorum on most issues, I didn't get any of my ideas from him.

Scalia, Thomas and Kennedy lead the activist judges catagory

I have no idea what principle of constitutional interpretation, if any, guides Justice Kennedy. I also have no idea why anyone would describe Justices Scalia and Thomas as "activist judges."

proposes to negate the Supreme Court on gay marriage.

I haven't heard just what Santorum has proposed to do if the Court ever holds that all states have to legalize same-sex marriage. A president could refuse to enforce a Supreme Court decision, as Lincoln did with Dred Scott. There are several ways the majority in this country that opposes same-sex marriage could bring pressure on the Court through their representatives in Congress. I hope it would use one or more of them.

There is no doubt that the far right is the most anti-constitutionalist party to emerge in this nation since it's conception.

Oh, no doubt at all--that goes without saying. I'd like to see toilet paper with a different clause imprinted on each sheet, so that we could all express just what we think of that outdated, absurd Constitution. We far-righters have no time for all those weak, degenerate, democratic sentiments.

Edit below:

I agree with about 90% of Gingrich's proposals for dealing with overreaching courts. The one I don't agree with, for several reasons, is his idea of making judges appear before Congress and explain their decisions. Whether the idea of arresting them is part of that, I don't know. Not sure what the big deal is.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 178
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:51:03 AM
Evidently, the all knowing Match is unaware of how Google works.
3 seconds of typing yields....

"Presidential candidate and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich suggested today that he would have the Capitol Police or U.S. Marshals arrest activist judges, citing an incident in which a sitting federal judge ordered students not use the word “benediction” in their high school graduation."

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADRA_enUS353US353&q=gingrich+would+arrest+supreme+court+judges
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 179
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:53:59 AM
..I don't like much about Ron Paul; and although I agree with Rick Santorum on most issues, I didn't get any of my ideas from him.

Agreeing with Santorum sounds kind of frothy if you ask me.
 Viper1E
Msg: 180
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:49:51 AM
Because all people should be afforded the same rights regardless what genetic traits they are born with.

WHAT???

Trying to ride the G (genetic) train again???

Oh that's right, you want to leave all the other genetics at the platform.

Some "love" is just a little more equal than others..
 matchlight
Msg: 181
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:38:23 PM
Do you also require a good reason why people of different races should be allowed to marry? Different religions?

Of course not. The 14th Amendment was meant to prevent states from discriminating against blacks. That's why Loving v. Virginia wasn't such a hard case. And since when is a person's race more a matter of choice than his sexual preference?

All First Amendment rights are fundamental.The substantive component of the 14th Amendment due process guarantee means that a state law or action which deprives people of a fundamental right will be reviewed under the Court's "strict scrutiny" standard.

Under strict scrutiny, a state marriage law which discriminated by religion would therefore be invalid unless the government could prove it was necessary to achieve a compelling or overriding government purpose. Good luck.

There are ample rational reasons why a . . . familial relationships should be factors

Like what? Degree of consanguinity isn't relevant to the health of offspring if one or both partners agree to be permanently sterilized. Some state laws already allow marriage partners to be more closely related where that's true. The only remaining objection to adult incest, then, would be moral revulsion.

I don't buy the argument that polygamy could still be banned if same-sex marriage were allowed, either. Neither does Judge Bork, and he has explained in detail why a state polygamy law could never survive an equal protection challenge under those conditions.

Are you arguing that moral opposition alone is not a rational basis for outlawing same-sex marriages? If upholding public morality is no longer a legitimate government purpose, I can't see any basis for laws against adultery, bigamy, adult incest, public nudity, prostitution, obscenity, or bestiality, either.

The Court noted in Bowers v. Hardwick, its first "gay" case in 1986, that "the law is constantly based on notions of morality, and if all laws representing essentially moral choices are to be invalidated under the Due Process Clause, the courts will be very busy indeed." But the Court no longer seems to believe that.

The argument that is you let gays marry others will be able to marry with regards to age, family, etc.. is just hyperbole.

You don't say. On another thread, you showed us the extent of your expertise about the persecution of Muslim college professors after 9/11. Are you also just as expert in U.S. constitutional law, sir? Would you like to rebut Justice Scalia on this point? Maybe you'd grace us with a disquisition--even just a pithy constitutional analysis would be fine--on just why he's wrong to suggest that's exactly what that would do.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 182
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:49:16 PM

Are you arguing that moral opposition alone is not a rational basis for outlawing same-sex marriages?

Yep.

If upholding public morality is no longer a legitimate government purpose, I can't see any basis for laws against adultery, bigamy, adult incest, public nudity, prostitution, obscenity, or bestiality, either.

Sounds good to me as it looks like the majority are ok with it, so I guess that means you are as well, unless you are for adultery, bigamy, adult incest, public nudity, prostitution, obscenity, or bestiality and want to go against the majority.

Gay Marriage Opponents Now in Minority
April 20, 2011, 11:18 am
By NATE SILVER

A poll from CNN this week is the latest to show a majority of Americans in favor of same-sex marriage, with 51 percent saying that marriages between gay and lesbian couples “should be recognized by the law as valid” and 47 percent opposed.

This is the fourth credible poll in the past eight months to show an outright majority of Americans in favor of gay marriage. That represents quite a lot of progress for supporters of same-sex marriage. Prior to last year, there had been just one survey — a Washington Post poll conducted in April 2009 — to show support for gay marriage as the plurality position, and none had shown it with a majority.

As we noted last August, support for gay marriage seems to have been increasing at an accelerated pace over the past couple of years. Below is an update to the graph from last year’s article, which charts the trend from all available public polls on same-sex marriage going back to 1988...

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/04/20/us/politics/fvethirtyeight-0420-ssm2011/fvethirtyeight-0420-ssm2011-blog480.png

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/20/gay-marriage-opponents-now-in-minority/
 mungojoe
Msg: 183
Posted: 1/3/2012 2:59:32 PM

Because there is no proof that Homosexuality is not a "Chosen" lifestyle

A complete failure of logic and intellect... Ever hear of "Russel's teapot"...? or "argument from ignorance"...?

Clearly your chosen perspective is based more on a desire to maintain your own ignorance than any desire to see truth or reality...

Seriously... If you want to deny others their liberty shouldn't you at least have a good reason... one that goes at least a little beyond "just because"...?
 matchlight
Msg: 184
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 4:44:31 PM

Clearly your chosen perspective is based more on a desire to maintain your own ignorance than any desire to see truth or reality...

And who made you the font and source of all wisdom, pray tell? I suggest *your* chosen perspective shows very little desire to see reality. You clearly are ignorant of the legal issues involved, and ultimately this is a question of what states may or may not do by law.
 mungojoe
Msg: 185
Posted: 1/3/2012 5:14:58 PM
And who made you the font and source of all wisdom, pray tell?

I don't recall claiming to be the "font and source" of ALL wisdom... but I do know that trying to support a claim by using an "argument from ignorance" logical fallacy shows the OPPOSITE of "wisdom"...

I also know that NOT being a delusional "counter-jihadi" Islamophobe or anti-intellectual, illogical homophobe gives me a HUGE 'leg up' on wisdom over those who are...

You clearly are ignorant of the legal issues involved...

Not in the least... Although, I'm not sure how you can even begin to logically, or intellectually, claim such a thing from what you quoted seeing as it made NO mention of the "legal issues"... Are you the reincarnation of The Amazing Kreskin...?

and ultimately this is a question of what states may or may not do by law.

No... ULTIMATELY, it is a question of what one considers 'liberty' to mean...
 Double Cabin
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 5:27:03 PM
Comparing the private activities of two consenting adults with beastiality,incest, or pedophilia is without question one of the most ignorant reaches someone can make.

Fortunately more and more every day what two consenting adults do in our Contistutional Republic is not subject to someone's institutionalized "morality" Keep making inane comparissons, keep trying to deny rights to people that are doing nothing to effect you in any way beyond your own fragile sensibilities, when the day comes there's always North Korea if you're feeling nostalgic. When it comes to consenting adults freedom will not take a backseat in this country for anyone's personal predjudices however widely held they might be. The genuinely deceitful attemtps at misdirection like yours Matchlight loose their effectiveness with each passing hour as this country evolves into the acceptance of its creed of inclusion, not exclusion. The Consitution is for everyone that is not hurting others, trying to allow for selective application is ultimately, and entirely, un-American. If gays hurt your feelings or make you insecure by simply being gay too frargin' bad.

"Think! It's Very Patriotic."

"Let Freedom Ring."
 matchlight
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 6:35:42 PM

That sounds noble, but ULTIMATELY it doesn't cut any ice. Imagine someone arguing that to the Supreme Court. And this is obviously a legal question--Can states be forced to change their marriage laws, and if so, on what grounds?

In the U.S., "liberty" doesn't include everything someone wants to do, and never has. There is not and never will be never be any fundamental right to homosexual marriage. And only fundamental rights get enhanced protection as "liberty interests" in 14th Amendment substantive due process analysis. But since you're not in the least ignorant of the legal issues involved, I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.

I also know that NOT being a delusional "counter-jihadi" Islamophobe or anti-intellectual, illogical homophobe gives me a HUGE 'leg up' on wisdom over those who are...

You presume a lot. I think it's clear *you* are the one who is delusional on those matters, but that is off topic. I have my own opinion of leftists' intellectual and logical powers--and of yours in particular. Using words like "homophobe" and "Islamophobe" is a dead giveaway. So is your penchant for falling back on snide personal comments instead of making your case.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 188
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:04:51 PM
In what interest is it for states to ban equal legal rights for LGBT individuals? How does gay marriage affect heterosexual marriage in any negative way? Leave religion and other superstitions out of it. Substitute black, hispanic, or women, or apartheid and Jim Crow laws for any sentence you use to try to make a case against Supreme Court rulings on states laws.

The match hero Santorum joins the chorus of the anti-constitution far right to go further in banning birth control and sodomy..presumably blow jobs as well.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/rick-santorum-birth-control-sodomy_n_1181291.html

Increasingly the rhetoric from the far right calls everything "anti-american" which is actually closer to anti-Christian Taliban.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 7:48:27 PM

I don't buy the argument that polygamy could still be banned if same-sex marriage were allowed, either. Neither does Judge Bork, and he has explained in detail why a state polygamy law could never survive an equal protection challenge under those conditions.

Are you arguing that moral opposition alone is not a rational basis for outlawing same-sex marriages? If upholding public morality is no longer a legitimate government purpose, I can't see any basis for laws against adultery, bigamy, adult incest, public nudity, prostitution, obscenity, or bestiality, either.

I realize we're just simple folk up here in Canada, but we've managed to allow gay marriage and uphold polygamy laws. Aaaaand we haven't sunk to whatever ring of hell we're doomed to either. There's hope for ya'll.
 mungojoe
Msg: 190
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:06:51 PM

That sounds noble, but ULTIMATELY it doesn't cut any ice...

Oh, I see... and here I was thinking that 'noble' principles were what of questions of liberty were all about... Silly me... Perhaps you can point out for us the 'ignoble' principles that do guide questions of liberty... I await your cogent reply...

... And this is obviously a legal question--Can states be forced to change their marriage laws, and if so, on what grounds?

Ummm... No... to summarize it, the question is more along the lines of - Are homosexuals persons as equally deserving of liberty as other persons...

Go back and reread the OP... There is not one mention of "Do homosexuals have a Constitutional right to marry?"... If you can find that question (or even the word "Constitution") in the OP then you can count on an immediate apology from me...

Of course I'm not surprised in the least... That need for a concrete 'cognitive anchor' to understand and order the world around one is also a prime element of latency-age ego-development... although, in an adult it potentially represents arrested ego-development...
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2012 10:08:28 PM
The 14th Amendment was meant to prevent states from discriminating against blacks. That's why Loving v. Virginia wasn't such a hard case. And since when is a person's race more a matter of choice than his sexual preference?

You're being disingenuous.

The issue is not what race one person is, any more than the issue at hand here is what gender ONE of the married partners is. It's whether one could or should be denied the right to marry someone of a different race, different religion, or same sex.

In all cases we're talking about consenting adults choosing to marry a life partner of their choice. If we can't support legislating against mixed race or mixed religion marriages, where it is clearly a choice whether to marry someone of another race or religion, how can it be illegal to marry someone of the same gender when there is strong evidence that attraction to the same gender is NOT a choice?

Degree of consanguinity isn't relevant to the health of offspring if one or both partners agree to be permanently sterilized.

On this we can agree. The only rational argument, which is what I was referring to, in opposition to siblings marrying is the risks associated with them having children.

I don't buy the argument that polygamy could still be banned if same-sex marriage were allowed, either.

If you're still responding to me, I only argued that only one spouse should enjoy the legal entitlements of a spouse. I could care less how many consenting adults choose to live together in whatever arrangement they're all comfortable with.

Are you arguing that moral opposition alone is not a rational basis for outlawing same-sex marriages? If upholding public morality is no longer a legitimate government purpose, I can't see any basis for laws against adultery, bigamy, adult incest, public nudity, prostitution, obscenity, or bestiality, either

That wasn't my specific argument. I was responding to an allegation that homosexuality was a choice, and thus a legitimate reasons to deny homosexual couples the right to marry.

But since you took us that way, merely claiming moral opposition does not justify one individual's interpretation of morality. Plenty of people have in the past declared moral opposition to various races, religions, or genders, and that doesn't make them right or their thought processes moral.

I would assert that's it's immoral to discriminate against any person or couple based on any actions they take that do not negatively impact others. I don't buy the argument that because someone NOT married to either one is negatively impacted by a gay married couple , any more than I would support anyone's moral outrage to an interracial or cross religion marriage.
 unYOUsual
Msg: 192
Posted: 1/4/2012 4:49:51 AM

Seriously... If you want to deny others their liberty shouldn't you at least have a good reason... one that goes at least a little beyond "just because"...?
I agree that's why I completed my sentence....lol Now show me definitive proof that Homosexuality is not a chosen lifestyle, like multiple peer reviewed studies and what not, you know, Scientific evidence....

Clearly your chosen perspective is based more on your Liberal ideology than any desire to see the truth....
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/4/2012 5:35:37 AM

Scientific evidence

How about some that proves that homosexuality is enviromental?
 Viper1E
Msg: 194
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:02:50 AM
Comparing the private activities of two consenting adults with incest, or pedophilia is without question one of the most ignorant reaches someone can make.

Not when homosexuals claim it's all about the genetics. "I can't help myself, I was BORN this way!"

Guess what? EVERYBODY was born "some way". If you're going to open the door based on genetics, then you forfeit your right to whine about who walks through it.

If the brother and sister are "consenting adults" , who are you to say their "love" isn't as "equal" as yours? And if Chester the Molester wants to travel, to Yemen or Saudi Arabia, to marry his 10 year old foreign "child bride", where I might add, it's perfectly legal to do so in that culture, who are you to declare his "love" is less "equal" than yours?

You want the door open for you, just so you can slam it in the face of others. Hypocrite much? Kind of reminds me of how the Italians used to slam the Jews in New York, after they got slammed by the Irish in the late 20s-early 30s.

Just doing a little "Pay it forward" huh?
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:09:38 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14146-gay-brains-structured-like-those-of-the-opposite-sex.html
Using the logic that people can think their way out of homosexuality, it would seem that the other 1500 mammalian species that exhibit such behavior also must do so out of choice, not genetics or other influences.
http://www.news-medical.net/news/2006/10/23/20718.aspx

And by the same token, Youunusual, show us definitive proof that conservatism is not a chosen lifestyle and NOT the result of an enlarged amygdala, that conservatism tendencies for racism and homophobia are NOT exclusive of conservatism amygdala size issues.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/08/brain-scans-lean-left-right/
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/8228192/Political-views-hard-wired-into-your-brain.html
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 196
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:40:05 AM

I agree that's why I completed my sentence....lol Now show me definitive proof that Homosexuality is not a chosen lifestyle, like multiple peer reviewed studies and what not, you know, Scientific evidence....

You have been show many links to studies, but it is clear that the understanding of the biology needed is way above your head as you have not been able to refute any of it.

Here are some more: Feel free to refute any of their claims or show us where their methodology is flawed

"Potential for homosexual response is prevalent and genetic," Santtila P et. al.; Department of Psychology, Abo Akademi University.

"Genetic investigations provide strong evidence for a heritable component to male and female sexual orientation," Rahman Q et. al.; School of Psychology, University of East London.

"Genetic research using family and twin methodologies has produced consistent evidence that genes influence sexual orientation," Mustanski BS et. al.; Department of Psychology, Indiana University.

"The survival of a human predisposition for homosexuality can be explained by sexual orientation being a polygenetic trait that is influenced by a number of genes," Miller EM.; University of New Orleans.

"Human sexual orientation has a heritable component," Pillard RC et. al.; Department of Psychiatry, Boston University School of Medicine

Not when homosexuals claim it's all about the genetics. "I can't help myself, I was BORN this way!"

Guess what? EVERYBODY was born "some way". If you're going to open the door based on genetics, then you forfeit your right to whine about who walks through it.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Genetics, Everyone comes out different, You Can't Explain That.

If the brother and sister are "consenting adults" , who are you to say their "love" isn't as "equal" as yours? And if Chester the Molester wants to travel, to Yemen or Saudi Arabia, to marry his 10 year old foreign "child bride", where I might add, it's perfectly legal to do so in that culture, who are you to declare his "love" is less "equal" than yours?

..and how is allowing gay people to marry going to make that ok?
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:41:33 AM

Being born a certain way doesn't preclude someone from rational judgment or lawful limits. Your argument is based on a society full of really stupid people. Like gee, gay people are okay so therefore pedaphiles raping incapable ten year olds must also be okay. I seriously doubt you're that stupid and haven't the ability to distinguish between adults and minors, direct family members and not, one spouse and the abuse of several. But if so, then we must eliminate rights for several other people in our society.
 Viper1E
Msg: 198
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:00:20 AM
Being born a certain way doesn't preclude someone from rational judgment or lawful limits.

Ok.. It's cool and very progressive that you have no problem with brothers and sisters boinking, as long as both are consenting.

Your argument is based on a society full of really stupid people.

Actually, it's based on some of the favorite homosexual catch phrases and absolutes. Things like "All love is equal", and "Love is love" Just gotta love how quickly they reverse themselves when someone throws something they don't like in to the mix.

Like gee, gay people are okay so therefore pedaphiles raping incapable ten year olds must also be okay.

1. They're MARRIED, so it's not rape.

2. It's their culture, maybe you need a diversity sensitivity class.

I say let em' all in or leave em' out. I'll be playing golf either way, (as long as the sun is shining)..

But at least I'm "all inclusive" and "fair".

vvvvvvvvvvvvv

At the end of the day, Gay marriage causes.....no problem whatsoever.

And neither do any of the other behaviors under discussion.. How does that old song go? "Ain't nobody's business but my own.. "
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 199
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:10:54 AM
Exactly. The anti gay bigots can't oppose homsexuality with facts, only with religion and their personal reasons, and states and countries who have crawled from the stone age haven't spontaniously combusted.

At the end of the day, Gay marriage causes.....no problem whatsoever.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 200
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:13:39 AM
"enlarged amygdala"

Wasn't she a character in those odious Star Wars prequel? Did she gain weight or somethin?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > NY becomes 6th state to legalize gay marriage