Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  > When to give out your phone number?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mateo45
Msg: 42
view profile
History
When to give out your phone number?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
It just sucks when other men stalk and annoy the shit out of women when they get the number, this never helps other respectful un-clingy men because those females are now paranoid, and usually every woman generalize unless you really prove her wrong.

I hear 'ya, and the crazies on either side of the fence do make it tougher on everybody (and I've run into 'em too)! But IMHO, having "good judgment" is also a pretty important quality when I meet someone, whether that means they trust their intuition, experience, self-confidence, the universe, whatever. So whenever I hear folks do some version of "hey, it's dangerous out there and you can't be too careful!", I don't doubt their experience. But I'm also hearing someone whose judgment sounds maybe kinda shakey to begin with, and whose timid, "over-insured" approach to life probably ain't gonna be in sync with mine anyway!
 bunny017
Msg: 43
When to give out your phone number?
Posted: 12/5/2011 7:34:59 AM
I like to go slow. If they don't want to go at my pace and msg on here till I feel comfortable moving it to text, then that's fine, they can move on. If our emails are super long and I'm excited to get one from them, that'll help move it along. If were sending one or two lines back and forth, not so much. It all depends.
I don't know if it is because I think I may be younger than most on this thread, but I would never meet someone without first being comfortable talking to them on the phone. I can tell a lot about how our chemistry would be by their voice. But before it even gets there... I just want to text. It moves to text when I am too impatient to wait for an email. If that goes well, we can talk, if that goes well, we can meet.
And I've had the crazies. Right after giving my number, he called, too soon for me but I answered. A ten minute convo told me I wasn't interested but.... He called and text so much that I had to block his number. Another got to the point of a date, after which I told him it wasn't going to work out, and again had to block a number. It's unfortunate when they refuse to take no for an answer, cuz yeah it does make it harder for you non crazy men. I am a lot more weary now.
As for the whole, well you meet someone at the grocery store, you give them your number, so why wait so long on here thing. Even though on here, we do have all this info available, it doesn't replace actual in-person chemistry. I'm trying to reach that level of sureness first. I've never met someone in person who I gave my number to that I had to block..
 CptJohnSheridan
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/5/2011 9:50:06 AM
I'm pretty easy with giving out my number, but respect those who are more guarded.
 fra59e
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/10/2011 6:18:20 PM
Friends exchange phone numbers. The days are gone when women were prey and men were hunters and the woman's phone number was a prize to be won. A modern woman is just as likely to call a man as the man is likely to call the woman. People respect each other more when they behave as equals.

Another point is that there are still some creeps out there who want to conceal from you they fact that they are married or living with someone and these don't want your call to be answered by the other person in their home.
 kailania
Msg: 46
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:15:36 PM
sometimes I give out my number but I usually call the man first and I hide my number by using star 67. then if our conversation went well I will give him my number. Most men understand this.
 nvdLATINA
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/11/2011 6:50:59 PM
For me is when the subject line reached its maximum capacity of RE: Obviously, the feeling is mutual and its time to exchange numbers.
 atlongcontrast
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/1/2012 11:12:21 AM
I usually give mine out after 10-15 messages.

I did try a little something different once. I didn't mention anything about giving away my number or switching our conversation to texts/calls, and the guy ended up giving me his number.

I don't usually find myself having to worry about someone spamming my phone with text messages or calls. Most usually stop talking to me after a week or after the first meeting, HAHA!
Show ALL Forums  > California  > When to give out your phone number?