Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 60to70
Msg: 85
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry MattersPage 2 of 30    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
I like city intellectuals...they know how to play...they understand the beginning and the end and they often care very little for the existence of God. What a surprise when they indeed prove that God is invisible but present. Would they ever admit it? Nah. Are they full of hubris. Yep. But ..often they are wise and funny and reverent in a wide open and freeing manner. God is the last matter on their stern and hilarious minds. Deviant minds are a curve ball that highlights an ultimate mystery. Why would anybody hurt anybody else for self gratification??? Why serial killers? Why Hitler? Why the psychopaths that often infiltrate very high end positions in government and etc.??? ...and other Sundry Matters.
 60to70
Msg: 86
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry Matters
Posted: 7/5/2011 10:45:59 PM
Oh and don't forget:
no medical care
no dental care
build more jails
no jobs
no hope of a future beyond minimum wages
no more than one child
no retirement until you are oh...seventy
no more giving freely...
no consideration for anything but the lucky
and....whose fault is that?? God? Don't think so.
oh...and..how about your one hundred thousand dollar student loan and you can't get a job easily...and...etc. etc. etc.
and ..again...whose fault is that? Not God's. Even atheists are cruel and dumb. smile.
 Inicia
Msg: 87
Posted: 7/6/2011 12:29:03 AM
IMO the essence of life is in every living thing; surely that essence participates fully in the object it occupies...
 Inicia
Msg: 88
Posted: 7/6/2011 1:12:28 AM
we cannot prove god exists. Prove love exists???? its just a d*mn word to describe a belief in something.
 60to70
Msg: 89
Posted: 7/6/2011 8:23:29 PM
What a beautiful last paragraph in the last posting defining the healing and positive power of love. I valued and appreciated its depth and consciousness. Sundry matters indeed.
 60to70
Msg: 90
Posted: 7/6/2011 10:52:48 PM
Coma...did you ever forget the intellectual force and just feel the indifference and forgetfulness you have applied to the people in your life that should mean something to you. Have you ever just been seized by a moment of understanding of how much this person is valued and loved and necessary to your life. Has there ever been a moment of empathy where you forgot the mechanics and just felt the presence and illumination of something that is love and is not some creepy machination of your brain? It is hard to deny a moment of seeing and loving. It is imperative that you pay attention to these precious moments of clarity. It is the difference between the feast and the famine. So very much is gained in loving.
 ComplekCity
Msg: 92
Posted: 7/8/2011 1:50:04 PM
Hey Antaeus, could you describe your experience please ?

2findU
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 2:10:24 PM
Well, I don't believe in God at all.
 UnixGrand
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 4:43:01 PM

But that was until I had the misfortune of dying twice and experiencing the reality of it.

I can see why you considered this a misfortune. But when you can not do anything about the situation, it sure is an enlightenment for sure.

Come on, it's not as if any of you would like to meet and know Him if there was an opportunity to do so!

Can you name anyone who has met him, and lived to tell about it? People always say that when they pass on, they would come back and let their loved ones know. I think Houdini proved this to be incorrect.
 60to70
Msg: 99
Posted: 7/8/2011 8:36:01 PM
no moflow, therefore...no moblow. moblow may be ten minutes or ten hours long but you come down AND...
where the heck are the women on this forum? Probably exasperated by men and their delight in their rare and far reaching consciousness.
Love is getting over your dumbness and experiencing a flash of profound otherness in another. Exquisite and a measure of freedom worth more than a life lived barren.
God is like the most profound movement in a confused and stalemated earth. After the earth....there is even a greater and more profound God. Not many make it here. lol.
 60to70
Msg: 101
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:22:19 PM
Spiritualism and every pause you need was created by the first fool who met the first con man who met the first skeptic who was uncomfortable in the netherworld of their own gravity of earthliness, who met the most educated and who felt no release and who left the truth behind but could never escape even the most iron clad rule that said that you were indeed born fortunate but you will never die unquestioned because...you cannot ever take anything when you expire....nothing. It all evaporates and you....stand alone. Your spirit is what adds the value. And the spirit is what often does not matter because you cannot prove it exists. So, therefore...start up the merry go round and jump on. What you can't see or prove means nothing...or does it?
 aremeself
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:33:07 PM
a living can not be made on spreading philosophies, religion, even much of science, because..................... guess why?

you will be striving to tickling peoples ears.

you know, now you have an axe to grind.

you will hold back on the real medicine.

many more want to be popular and eating good, than want to spread a repugnant truth or two.

JP1111
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:49:39 PM
I very briefly added to that thread eons ago as following it to ME, was meerly a wast of time knowing FUL well that at the end of the discussion, it would STILL leave you with the same thing as you had since the very start.

It would because no one can show PROOF of God ever existing. Most people will argue for me to look at the Bible but ā€œIā€ don't consider it as proof of anything.
 60to70
Msg: 105
Posted: 7/8/2011 9:54:17 PM
It goes without saying that what spirit implies is a great amount of caring and doing. If that is what you missed in what I said then I am being too general and now I am being more specific. So....not wrong but too general. Then another So....I will be more specific. Ever been haunted by the disenfranchised person who everybody ignores because they duh! drink too much etc. and are such a loser! and they deserve what they get! and pick up your socks and forget about the fact that ...I am out of words. Be careful and do not be judgemental. There but for the grace of ......etc. etc. Animals elicit more kindness than human beings. Why?
What you do does NOT guarantee success . Actions often mask darkness.
 aremeself
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:07:21 PM
if god revealed himself to everyone tomorrow, how many would consider that for the rest of their lives?

I think not very many at all.
 60to70
Msg: 108
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:37:35 PM
Yep! Actions are measurable. But what is not measurable is the true intent.
Spinoza and I agree and I know when I am in the company of a being who embraces what is wisdom. I embrace what is wiser than what I am. And that would certainly be Spinoza.
But.....what is the silence that is despair?
 60to70
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/8/2011 10:53:41 PM
Alan....who ever said prayer? I said that there is no guarantee that your actions will equal peace in a satisfactory or even successful way. If I did not say peace, I will say it now. Prove to me that I am wrong.
Anyhoo...if I want to pray, I will do so freely and without guilt. But first...I will buy some shoes and clean that coffee cup and I will not start up the car and roar out of here and I will check up on my government policies and I will also check up on the population of jailed people in my country and I will certainly see if the children in my neighbourhood have a way to deal with their teeth because their parents are too poor and fug...when I am about 70 take me outta here because ...it ain't pretty and it ain't funny...BUT...I got lucky enough to be a more than physical, hungry observer and who the heck is bigger than their wants and silly desires??? Whatever. lol.
 60to70
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/9/2011 12:03:30 AM
Despair is not a scream of insecurity. Despair is often a mirror that reflects the tenor and definition of stronger egos setting an atmosphere of superiority and abruptness and denial of reflection. Spinoza would have to agree, wouldn't he?
Existence is in a grander sense the ultimate in a crucial climax. But existence is often nothing more than one day after another without relief. Please, explain how Spinoza would cure these unfortunates. Pick up a shovel and dig??? What is existential angst.??
Is there a god?
 aremeself
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 1:23:33 PM
is everyone going to keep their blinders on?

religion and materialism aren't the only systems.
they are both haywire, lets move on, shall we?

define god;
The creator of the rules of existance, which then means he is responsible for the existance of ALL things......... that God.

we do bad things, so yeah, in that way he is responsible for them too.
 60to70
Msg: 122
Posted: 7/10/2011 9:17:03 PM
I like that definition of how the church and dogma can also evolve. But...the problem is that in groups valuable and shocking truths are often ignored and denied and hung on for dear life. What really upsets me about organized religion and churches is the denial of individual hypocrisy and blatant ignorance and insensitivity. I REALLY have a hard time with organized religion. I DO not have a hard time with dynamic and conscious spiritualism that has no time for long lived hypocrisy. Neither would God. Does God exist? Yep. God was enjoying this early July day on the waters and in the sun and in the goodwill that supports no evil.
 60to70
Msg: 123
Posted: 7/10/2011 9:23:33 PM
Furthermore...do not use God for your ignorant, insensitive and indifferent and starved for intelligence ....attitudes and actions. lol.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 7:02:25 AM

Does God exist? Yep. God was enjoying this early July day on the waters and in the sun and in the goodwill that supports no evil.

Which 'god'? Yahweh? Allah? Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva? Pangu? Mu Gong? Baal? Zeus? Apollo? Ra? Osiris? Quetzalcoatl? Odin? Anu?

Nahh don't answer, I was just fooling with ya...
There are no gods.
 Quello79
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:26:47 AM

Which 'god'? Yahweh? Allah? Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva? Pangu? Mu Gong? Baal? Zeus? Apollo? Ra? Osiris? Quetzalcoatl? Odin? Anu?

There's only one God. All other gods are false. And when someone talks about God with a captial G, they are referring to the one true God of the Bible.
So we can safely eliminate all false gods when discussing the existence of God in this and other threads.
 Inicia
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/11/2011 11:28:40 AM
I was recently reading a book of wisdom... and from Buddha he gives some advice against "wasting precious time on ineluctably moot points..." (NOVAK 1994 The World's Wisdom :Sacred Texts of the World's Religions Harper Collins Publication:New York. 1st Edition)
struggling through this will not change anything.... however, as I believe Buddha lived and existed to find his own enlightenment we each must tire of struggling moot points on our own.
 Quello79
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 2:30:07 PM

And as there's no evidence for the god of the Bible or the Torah or the Koran, then there's no reason to think that the god of these books is any less false than the gods of other faiths.

Do you know this or do you think this?

You think this. In order for you to claim there to be no evidence means you'd have to know everything. No person on this planet knows everything. I could reveal masses of evidence, but it wouldn't be enough for you.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~Stephen Roberts

Wrong. Because I believe in God, I am a theist. Stephen Roberts couldn't be more wrong. And it is wrong for you to presume this applies to me when I already know why I dismiss false gods and why atheist dismiss God.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >