Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 368
view profile
History
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry MattersPage 9 of 30    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)
I agree Krebby, but I was referring to a more overweaning sort of egotism than what you refer to. The built-in corrective mechanism of peer review only works when ALL the peers don't have the same overall prejudices firmly in place.

I know I might sound as though I'm supporting "fluff" thinking in this, but I assure you I am not at all. There are some areas where Science has made fundamental assumptive decisions so far in the deep past, that they aren't even aware that they ARE assumptive any more. Certain aspects of human uniqueness seem to be among those assumptions.

Science correctly obeys it's own rigorous testing on ideas, but there are some (albeit small) areas where the basic Scientific challenge that new ideas be proven with data or other tests, ignores the fact that what's currently written into the official record was NOT based on proof to begin with.

Anyway, I'll leave that be, because I do NOT want to encourage the creationist crowd to pretend I'm suggesting ANY support for their nonsense.
 _shakti_
Msg: 369
On the Existence of God and Other Sundry Matters
Posted: 10/1/2011 4:50:30 PM

History: On the 29th of June, Year of our Lord, 2011, a thread entitled "Does God Exist" reached capacity levels that made it difficult to post. This here thread is meant to be a continuation of that thar discussion. All new posters are invited to peruse the old thread to catch a history of previous posting in this discussion.
You didn't include a link..

Let's hope that this here thread makes significant progress which the old thread did not succeed in.
I'm curious.. what type of success were you hoping for?
 60to70
Msg: 371
Posted: 10/10/2011 10:57:23 PM
I am sorry that I said that animals such as dogs have no discernment. I was wrong...when I was a child, I had neighbours who neglected their dogs and finally one of the dogs who responded to my mother's caring nature got hit by a car and came and died in my mother's garden. Even animals know who truly appreciate their existence.
God is the last thing you would expect to exist.
Analytical thinking never allows one to surrender to a hug. Which is a pretty good way to get the engines of the mind flowing. And the heart. One step at a time.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 373
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2011 4:18:06 AM
Bravo, Kreb. I am myself one of the most logic-oriented people I know, AND I am hugely emotional as well. Like you, I think, my emotions don't exclude logic, any more than my logic excludes emotions.

There was an old, Original Star Trek episode a LONG while back, where they had Spock have to deal with trying to lead a small band of emotional humans dealing with hostile and apparently emotional aliens (who were never seen, so save the cost of special effects). They showed Spock as failing to recognize throughout the entire episode, that to BE logical, he had to INCLUDE the reality of emotion in his equations. I was sorry they failed to get THAT point across, but they came close enough for me to use the thing as an explanatory example.
 60to70
Msg: 375
Posted: 10/13/2011 11:44:54 PM
Krebby..you are more of poetic scientist than you are cerebral and lost in the fog of fact. Is there nothing more spectacular than the harvest moon?
Actually Spock in his very designed self reinforced the majesty and strength of feeling at its best.
Reading Vincent Bugliosi's "Divinity of Doubt" (The God Question) M0re stark fact as to why the concept of God and etc. is just plain silly. lol. I love a good debate.
 60to70
Msg: 377
Posted: 10/17/2011 11:35:16 PM
In fact knowing the facts of optical illusions is no barrier to experiencing the very fact of a harvest moon in an especially splendid illusion on the prairies. Hey, Krebby what you know and how you react are two separate realities. But, even knowing what you know..would you not just pause for a silent moment in the company of a harvest moon?
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 378
view profile
History
Posted: 10/18/2011 12:15:51 PM
I haven't heard that the Harvest Moon necessarily has anything to do with the way the moon can seem to be Super-Sized at times. Maybe just where I grew up.

Anyway, for myself, I have STOPPED thinking I see a giant moon, ever since I realized that it was an optical illusion. In my case, I realized further that I NEVER actually saw a Giant moon at all, rather I saw the moon when it was low enough on the horizon for me to see it right next to a much closer object. This resulted in what movie special effects people refer to as "forced perspective," which they used to use all the time (and still do occasionally) in order to film two people appearing to interact, with one of them being gigantic relative to the other.

Basically, if two items are both IN FOCUS, but one is much closer to you than the other, then you will deduce subconsciously that the two are side by side, and that the one closest to you is much larger than you would normally think it is, relative to the distant object.

Once I understood forced perspective, and looked for it in films, then I stopped mistaking the moon on the horizon as being larger than it usually seemed to be. Essentially, I was looking more closely, and seeing the SAME size moon I always did, but consciously realizing that I WAS seeing a close and a distant object, side by side.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 380
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 3:37:05 AM
Really. Well, if people still see it from space (I'd like to see some direct stories about this), then there's no explanation for why I DON'T see it any more, other than delusion on my part, or on theirs.

I liked it better, when I thought it was due to a lensing effect of the atmosphere.
 60to70
Msg: 382
Posted: 10/21/2011 8:51:03 PM
Thank you for the very hard and technical work re: full moons and their sizes. Now, I know why I see what I see but it doesn't matter...(intuitively we all know) There is nothing more paralyzingly beautiful than a whiz bang harvest moon in any sky at any angle, at any position, at any moment.
 60to70
Msg: 384
Posted: 10/27/2011 8:55:57 PM
After all is said and done...what is the difference between the God of the various religions Alan mentioned? Is this God thing a particular, specific personal sentiment towards women, justice, economics, politics, etc, etc. ??? My idea of God is more than the sum of all our words, deeds and possible permutations. I appreciate Zen Buddhism. The airy reach of detachment and surrender. But...with a very real connection to those you have loved with great difficulty and with an understanding that to detach is harder than losing a loved one. A never equals B. Ever.
 60to70
Msg: 385
Posted: 11/2/2011 8:59:57 PM
A never equals B. Ever. Because you do not package life in similar or different. You live and forget the easy excuse of secure categorization. Where one is better off is in a consciousness of unfolding and folding and unfolding...etc. With due respect to the work already done.
 lyingcheat
Msg: 390
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2011 6:20:12 AM

realising the value of such priceless imagery have made them available for free free
though clearer original prints are offered from au$500-$3000 at the top end which
most would think reasonable as 'one off ' made to order canvas from au$50k-$1.3mil
though the prints offered for free free are a little fuzzy, 75% of people who view them
get the picture
please be carefull with any fraudulant accusations

The only thing not fraudulent about your two posts on this page is that they appear to be authentic spam.
 60to70
Msg: 391
Posted: 11/20/2011 9:42:54 PM
Alan...I saw my dead sister's image in a cloud. Convince me otherwise. If there is nothing but Science then there is nothing to do but invent a way to sculpt reality into a form of spirituality. AND. If you do not, please do NOT brush your take on the matter with horribly bare and enigmatic words and phrases that amount to your skill with nothing other than pause and clearance of your lack of ...whatever. lol.
Here...
you died.
I flew.
to bury you.
up here
in a place
above
i saw
your spirit leave.
today.
I again, saw you
shaking a finger
at my lack
of meaning.
 60to70
Msg: 393
Posted: 11/25/2011 10:33:44 PM
The last time I visited Wally World
my already tired eyes
died! In the blaze of shopper's light.
I honestly stumbled in a daze
visited by a dizzy imbalance
what the hell was the aisle?
I saved 30 cents!!!!!
In a righteous indignation
I marched my dizzy self
out the friggen doors
and into the breath of fresh air
Swearing, swearing, swearing.
Never again.
I will never go back..for
at least...
another year.
(umble, mumble, umble)
them sodden summer sandals.
were cheap
lasted.
still going.

If I ever vote again.
it will certainly (be) after I make...
my own friggen sandals.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 394
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2011 3:52:21 PM
okay, so while I was gone, the Religion forum has been converted to the Creative Mumbling forum.
 60to70
Msg: 399
Posted: 12/30/2011 6:58:48 PM
God is so beyond most folks that talking, writing, analyzing never hit the mark. Not often.
Happy New Year to all the folks who think that God and Other Sundry Matters...matter. They do.
 60to70
Msg: 400
Posted: 12/30/2011 7:14:37 PM
Did anyone know that parking meters originated in Oklahoma back in the thirties ? And that Albert Einstein tried to construct a refrigerator that did not kill people with its inner workings? (improved) And that the walkie talkie was invented by somebody who did it out of necessity? And the grandest invention of all. ...the photocopier...the original workings HAVE never been altered...ever. Friggen fantastic what has been invented and benefitted mankind. Thanks to Discovery and its marathon of inventors today. And all of these inventions were before the 1940's ...Sorry I missed the rest.
also..the original electric guitar.
the genesis of the lie detector.
the beginning of sound in movies.
Marvelous.
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 401
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2012 3:28:34 PM
I really like the way Neil puts it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 402
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:49:10 AM
^^^
No idea what language that is, but he appears to be speaking in tongues. Your people are calling you to join them in the fight against reason.
http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-scranton/westboro-baptist-church-to-attend-reason-rally-with-special-message-for-atheists
 Inicia
Msg: 404
Posted: 3/17/2012 10:58:41 PM
here is an interesting thought I heard we create nothing but concepts.. everything material we make out of that which has already been created, and is in existence for use \we just make it from the conceptual recipe we create... Does this make sense to anyone?
the ingredients are all here and we just create a recipe to mix and match them...to make something from them....WE Create nothing but thoughts or concepts:ideas we garner from the tangible and evidential products of our universe.
 aremeself
Msg: 405
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 11:02:08 PM
yup, we just make stuff from stuff, atoms, I guess, that were 'created' at the begining.

I bet we don't even create a single unique thought, we just discover them.

and many are bulls--t!
 lagoda
Msg: 406
Posted: 4/20/2012 11:59:39 AM

I really like the way Neil puts it.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html

I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.

I could go on, but it only gets cornier.

I also like the background song, apropos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB0ordd2nOI Cinematic Orchestra, 'To Build a Home'
 aremeself
Msg: 407
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2012 11:46:56 PM
''I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.''

but what or whom to honor?

it would be nice to be conscious when we soar.
 lagoda
Msg: 408
Posted: 4/21/2012 10:27:04 AM
''I like it too. There is so much romance in the world, the universe. How one cannot be awed by it is amazing. I thought often, so what if there isn't a life afterward. It is an honor to know what I've been sharing in, beyond the connectivity to abiotic life. To know I'll decompose into a little brown pile of detritus and then blow away in the wind. I'll soar again.''

but what or whom to honor?

it would be nice to be conscious when we soar.

-------------------------------------------------------------
"but who or whom to honor?"

Did you watch the video? My post was a response to it. The keywords would be 'it is an honor to know'. I'm feeling the honor.

From what I know of some interpretations of the the Christian god, through the Bible NT, there was enough scripture to indicate that god did not want to be put into a box. That he was unfathomable and therefore, indefinable.

Combine that, and the methodological requirement that science has for the absence of a definition of god, for me then, there's an overwhelming reason not to have a what or whom to honor. There's enough glory in the natural to bask in. Perhaps this is what it's all about.

If someone wants to have a 'who' or a 'what', that's for them to define.
 lagoda
Msg: 409
Posted: 4/21/2012 1:03:49 PM
I think that Einstein has said something like this but I couldn't find the specific quote so I've paraphrased:

'If not for the annoying habit I've noticed, of chance to assert itself as something more than chance, I'd be content to merely bask in the overwhelming glory of the natural.'

So I guess generally, I could have a reason.
Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >