Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My age is not attractive?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 126
My age is not attractive? Page 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

absolutely no need at this stage of your life to hole back.
Yes.....Let's not HOLE back!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 127
My age is not attractive?
Posted: 7/10/2011 12:12:31 PM
as they say age is just a number. I have seen train wrecks at 30 !
You should have no problem, quit fishing in the shallow end of the pool.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 5:16:47 PM
Nice come back, Ping. But, you are very mistaken, I do not have anything drooping.
No, I am not a lone she-wolf, but I have found quite a few men over the years who want the perfect woman and they are not perfect. Yes, we are all special, to say that we are not is a little bit of a put down, isn't it?
Nope, no cute biker name. Don't believe in them. I did ride today, to a fundraiser for children who have been diagnosed with terminal illnesses, have you done anything like that lately? Then I went to a movie with my daughter and then rode home with my hair blowing in the wind and smiling all the way.
I don't hum the Easy Rider song, I prefer other music to that.
I also prefer the company of people who are genuine and not posers. Nor do I ride from bar to bar or drink and ride like a lot of people do, just in case your mind wandered to that room.
Ride on, Rock on and Peace.

ladyc4
Msg: 129
Posted: 7/10/2011 5:22:18 PM
While my profile is the absolute truth, I have on more than one occasion found myself dating/involved with a man I met in real life who was either younger than I thought- or older. I don't go around wearing Tshirts with my birthdate printed in large letters on them-and neither do any other people I know. All too often in a real-life setting, there are so many more things that are so much more important than how many calendars one has thrown away.
As for the OPs question, I think that once the business transaction is complete, she should drop some pretty large and clear hints that she would not reject the idea of social contact,were he so inclined.
Given the ages and the situation that this meeting occurred in, I'm not sure the directly head-on, "she asks him out" is the course I'd pursue. He MAY go along with it thinking to ensure some referrals should the OP have friends or family in need of his services, or he may interpret it as an exceptionally forward "cougar" woman looking for just a hook-up or FwB. But the " I certainly have enjoyed doing business with you...should you be interested in further contact of a social nature, you have my number..."
Damn I wish I would have seen this yesterday morning-I could have asked 2 people I KNOW(in fact they are related to me,LOL) who are long-time married and the parents of 3 lovely young people -because they met in very similar circumstances...yeah, my cement/concrete contractor brother actually MARRIED one of his customers-it was a "cement a driveway" job,as I recall. But I did't see this topic so I didn't know to ask.
However, if it's any help to the OP to know it DOES happen-there is a real-life example.
Cindy O
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2011 5:23:10 PM
Correct Megan,
I do not give them the time of day. I saw one Friday night and he was awful, he kept grabbing another woman and trying to keep her attention. He was not very gentlemanly and she wound up telling him to get lost.
I was with some of my guy friends and they were ready to go to her rescue if she needed them. She did not, but she was happy they offered.
I prefer down to earth men, but seem to attract the others too often.
One I met not long ago said he was divorced, then after we rode a couple of times on our bikes, it turned to separated, then on a ride with a bunch of others, it was I went back to here a couple of years ago, but there is nothing there but I can't divorce her. I told him that I am not that type of woman and that this was not going anywhere. I prefer to be alone than in that type of relationship.

Blitzstorm
Msg: 131
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:26:18 AM
Your kidding right ? If he isn't then he is nuts.
 home_osorio
Msg: 132
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:47:51 AM
hey my filipino auntie she 70 and she had a 60 year old bf of japanese descent here in chicago. they broke up because he works a M-F 7-7 job and she wants somebody who's retired who can give her attention 24/7 plus she not satisfied with him in bed. WOW.

now she has a 69 year old polish bf while she still 70
 Vannili
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 8:57:58 AM
LOL! Filipinos are younger than their age, Dr. Bellos looks 27 when she is already in her advance age of 57 , Gina Pareno, Charo Santos, Vilma Santos, Sharon Cuneta, these are the few women that I can mention here (,othere wise there is not enough space to fill up the names) among those beautiful young looking Filipinos in the Phippines.. They look young because they have something in common they have a kind and loving heart....
Vannili
 Carol2004
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 12:34:55 PM
Wow, you are 50 years old and have found a man in his 40's who is attracted to you? I say go for it! Wait till the work is finished of course. You don't want any confusion there. Ask him out for drinks or something just to find out more about him. I am in my 50's and quite frankly all I have encounter from men lately is that they are looking for that hot 20 or 30 year old. It is rare to find a man who is more interested in the person and not the body at our age. Of course, you have said you are in great shape so maybe he thinks you are younger, Have fun with it and enjoy.
 Carol2004
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 7/11/2011 12:46:49 PM
I totally agree with you Kat. It is difficult to watch a man make a fool out of himself drooling over a younger woman. It happens alot! Once in a while I will meet a realistic man who is looking for a mature woman who can have an intelligent conversation about topics that they are both familiar with. So many times the guys that hook up with a much younger woman spend a lot of time giving a history lesson instead of have a mutual conversation. But as I have been told from the man's point of view, "If the sex is good, who cares".
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 136
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 5:09:21 PM
Carol, the guy was in his 60's and she was too, but not interested in a wrestling match in front of the bar, on the dance floor or next to the tables....he just did not get it. Finally I sent one of my male friends over to "rescue" her.
She was just too polite to tell him to stop and go away.
I don't care what age they are, grabbing is a big fat NO!
He wound up alone at the end of the evening, we were walked to our cars by my male friends to make sure graba$$ would not do anything in the lot.
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 137
view profile
History
Posted: 7/12/2011 5:12:34 PM
BTW, Carol, I do agree, if the sex is good, who cares?
I have met a few much younger than 5 years difference (my preferred age gap) and they were very good. Our schedules did not mesh well, they are workaholics and my schedule is not very predictable. So, ce la vie, they and I moved on.
 SWSpice
Msg: 138
Posted: 7/12/2011 8:12:44 PM
Well thanks for the responses everyone, I have yet to read them all but will. And yes, I still haven't deleted my profile and posted a new one yet. I should do that tonight. When I opened this account about 7 years ago I thought I should "appear" to be younger. Now, today, I don't care anymore, not even to the point of making a new account.

But the outcome was this: nice looking guy, with kids 25 & 19, divorced & active, told me he doesn't want anymore kids. Like me couldn't wait until he was "free" again, i.e. hoping last kid would get a job & move out. He finished the work project perfectly. I had family staying with me that week and didn't feel like I could flirt with him while everyone was looking on.

He came to my office for me to pay him the final bill. My boss was standing a couple of feet away so I told him "thank you" and that was that. He teased me a couple of times about having a boyfriend but honestly I didn't feel like I could respond with other people standing around and listening in. Blah, such is life.
 ladyc4
Msg: 139
Posted: 7/12/2011 10:11:44 PM

I think it's kinda sad women need to meet men this way, a repair man or contractor that comes to your house. Women should be out doing things, being active and social and meeting people that way.

Hey, you don't always get to pick how you meet someone. As I stated in a previous post, my brother met his wife when he cemented the driveway of the house she lived in(don't remember whether she owned the house-but I think it was one she was renting and it was her landlord who was actually "the customer").
It ain't about "needing to meet men this way"...it's just something that can and does happen.
I really don't think most healthy single women are sitting in their houses hoping something breaks so they can "meet a man"...Most women I know are out doing a lot of things, being very active, very social and "meeting people" just fine.But sometimes it just does happen that one meets an interesting person with romantic potential in a business or service interaction. I fail to see anything indicating that the OP has no other way to meet men, or that there is anything sad about the situation.
Cindy O
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 9:11:11 AM

When I opened this account about 7 years ago I thought I should "appear" to be younger. Now, today, I don't care anymore, not even to the point of making a new account.

you don't owe this bunch any explanations.

He came to my office for me to pay him the final bill.

damn woman...HOW much more OBVIOUS does he have to be??? He could have had you MAIL him the balance of the bill. He made the trip in person for a reason!
(He was probably cursing the "timing" also, with the boss and family around)

Now, I'm SURE his bill included a telephone number and an email address..USE it..
 Jersey125
Msg: 141
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:28:06 AM
I totally agree with you Kat. It is difficult to watch a man make a fool out of himself drooling over a younger woman. It happens alot! Once in a while I will meet a realistic man who is looking for a mature woman who can have an intelligent conversation about topics that they are both familiar with. So many times the guys that hook up with a much younger woman spend a lot of time giving a history lesson instead of have a mutual conversation. But as I have been told from the man's point of view, "If the sex is good, who cares".

Nice assumptions about women younger than yourself. I was recently reading a business article that featured entreprenuers under 30 and half of them were women. So i guess these women are capable of running business but not capable of having an intelligent, mature coversation with an older man.

Your right but she can't expect honesty from others online if she's not willing to be honest about her age online.
 mr.nike
Msg: 142
Posted: 7/13/2011 12:01:36 PM
First never mix bizz with plasure.When we hire someone they will yes us to death.That doesnt mean its so in real life,when he is not working for you.The age is not the problem.What if he turns out to be a nut.He knows were you live hun.
 Ms Cheevious
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 12:27:32 PM

Your right but she can't expect honesty from others online if she's not willing to be honest about her age online.

True, but I'm betting the OP has considered the possibility that not everyone on this site has been honest in their profile. Like, maybe....wrong age, outdated pics, marital status, stating body size as "average", when clearly it is NOT............yanno, nitnoid-y stuff like that...
 ladyc4
Msg: 144
Posted: 7/13/2011 1:19:30 PM

Don't take it personally; it was not meant as a personal comment on your family's experiences.

It hadn't even occurred to me to take it that way!

What I meant is that the OP should not just be sitting around her house thinking how she can get a date with the guy who has come to fix or install something in her house.

Why do YOU think this is what the OP is doing? She asked for OPINIONS on something she was weighing over in her mind. Her biggest concern seemed to be that she might be misperceiving/ misreading the situation-and that pursuit of the situation might end up with the thing wrecking on the unavoidable rock of her being a few years older than he.
Frankly,-my personal opinion-if she's in her 50s and he's in his 40s- that is hardly some huge gap that will require the man to take history lessons to overcome.

She should also be out doing things, meeting people, being social, etc., and not getting all hung up on some craftsman who comes to her house.

How do You KNOW she isn't?

It is very likely he gets hit on all the time by women he meets that way because a lot of women don't go out, don't meet a lot of men, and when one drops into their little domestic world, they go all aflutter.

Again, why do you presume that this is what is happening? and what is this"some craftsman" thing? Something wrong with craftsmen? Are they unacceptable dating material,generally speaking?

Has nothing to do with how your friends or relatives happened to meet their spouses. Don't take it personally; it was not meant as a personal comment on your family's experiences.

the fact that you THINK I would take your comment "personally" and think it was about my family's experiences, says way more about you than it does about me.

But by all means- lets hear just exactly what constitutes "doing things, meeting people, being social" in your estimation.
And please, elaborate on what in the OPs' comments cause you to believe that she is indeed one of "a lot of women don't go out, don't meet a lot of men, and when one drops into their little domestic world, they go all aflutter."
Here's a little observation from my own experiences... Lots of people-including men- over 45, are not single. They do not confine married men or make them wear a scarlet letter "M" when they leave their houses.
No matter where people over 45 go to "do things, meet people and be social"-chances are-except in scenarios that are specifically designated as "singles only"-a lot of the people they meet are going to be married or in committed relationships.
Entering any social setting (that is not clearly restricted to singles only!) with a presumption that every male that doesn't have a wife growing out of his hip is SINGLE and AVAILABLE- is a good way to set oneself up for disappointment-or worse.

Now, perhaps all the women YOU know are isolated in their homes and "go all aflutter" when a male craftsman or tradesperson is present...but that has not been my general experience or observation. But I will concede that it may be yours.

Opportunities to interact with men in settings that are not strictly "social", IMO, is one way to expand one's opportunities to meet people in a setting conducive to learning a lot about them. An interesting prospect should not be rejected because you didn't meet him in the course of a designated "social activity".
Getting back to the OP and the OT
Is there any way you can be in touch with this guy-even if you call or email him just to again express appreciation for your positive experience with his service and perhaps express regret that circumstances didn't lend themselves to a longer exchange of social pleasantries at the conclusion of your business interaction.
( this strategy is called "No guts no glory LITE", LOL)
Cindy O
 Here_In_Florida
Msg: 145
Posted: 7/13/2011 1:23:32 PM

I just turned 50

And you put in your profile that you're 45? Hmmmm
 jaqi
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 1:37:04 PM
I'm 54 and my age seems to be very attractive to a whole bunch of guys ranging all ages!

Oh and btw OP no matter what I do the age automatically changes up with each birthday so not sure how your's is any different!
 Greatcatch12345
Msg: 147
Posted: 7/13/2011 1:54:33 PM
heck..if you gave up the cigs..i'd go 4 it!! seriously though...smoking is a deal-breaker for me..maybe for him too??
 ladyc4
Msg: 148
Posted: 7/13/2011 3:06:38 PM

And your nasty attempts to make a personal attack on me are pathetic.

Hmmm- interesting...you are regarding my challenge to support your presumptions, assumptions, and condescension as a "nasty attempt at a personal attack"??? When you were the one accusing ME of taking something you said as an "attack" on my family. Why did you presume that I would take it that way?
Trust me, were I to bother with a personal attack, it wouldn't be an "attempt".
If I "attacked" ANYTHING, it was your presumptions regarding the way the OP lives her life.

My observation about the OP was conjecture based on reason

And I asked you to support that conjecture...with something more than some vague generalizations.

why is someone getting so worked up about a tradesman?

Here in most of North America, people of character do not regard tradesmen with condescension or contempt. If it was not your intent to come across like that-my bad. But the general tone of your post seemed to convey condescension.
Actually, my comment about the women you know was not a request for you to inform the thread about them,simply a conversational device to reinforce my primary question. Which was- what IN THE OPs' POST(s) caused you to presume that she leads such a proscribed existence that she cannot help but "get worked up about a tradesman".

Doesn't she meet eligible men anywhere else?
Why would you make such a presumption? There are always "eligible" men to be met, if you mean men with a pulse and no wife.
My own personal experiences have shown me that one of the best ways to meet acceptable eligible men is in the course of living one's life and going about ones' business-not a frenetic round of " getting out, meeting people and being social" with the specific goal of "meeting eligible men".

Just a general question. Not an attack on her or anyone else.
Didn't say it was. Asked for you to elaborate on what in her posts made you think that she didn't get out much and was "all aflutter" over a "tradesman".
Which you still haven't done.
Sorry, but in my world, meeting people(including eligible men) is something that happens as a part of day-to-day life. Granted, there may be situations where dating someone( a co-worker, business associate, or someone providing certain professional services(or receiving them) may not be the wisest course of action. But,other than those considerations, to rule out someone based solely on the fact that they were NOT met in the course of a purely social "getting out and meeting people" is pretty ridiculous, IMO.
Still would like to know what it was in the OPs posts that made you jump to the conclusions you did.
Cindy O
 KAT4EVR
Msg: 149
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2011 3:12:05 PM
I agree with the post, if he was kidding around at the office about a boyfriend , he was kind of asking if you are available. Of course, you needed to be professional, but after hours, I hope you do contact him and say that you could not respond to his comments, because of your professionalism but now you can.....no, I do not have a boyfriend, thanks for helping to lighten up my day, it was hectic when you came in, hey, would you like to get some coffee sometime?
The last part if he does not ask you out for coffee.
Go for it, the worst he can say is, I was just kidding , I am in a relationship, or yes, I hoped I would get a smile out of you, but since your boss was there I didn't want to embarrass you, hey, do you want to go for coffee some day soon?
You have nothing to lose and his phone number has to be on the invoice. Let us know how it works out for you. WE will be waiting in the wings.
 cashleys
Msg: 150
Posted: 7/13/2011 11:02:09 PM
The World has changed---Men do appreciate older women. I have dated men as young as 29. Depends on their life experience. Some are mature and some are not.

Go for it. It is a lot of fun, they haven't become jaded and I can tell you at 40 there is not much difference from my age of 58.

There are CEO's running companies at 25 fought in our wars and have been through much life experiences.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My age is not attractive?