Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Playing with Madness
Msg: 60
***MMA, UFC, WEC, and REAL FIGHTING***Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
EPIC!

That's all that needs to be said!
 kenpoboy
Msg: 61
view profile
History
***MMA, UFC, WEC, and REAL FIGHTING***
Posted: 11/20/2011 2:25:16 PM
Madness, you said it all. Difficult to describe the action in that fight. Unbelievable heart showed by Shogun. My buddies and I were on the edge of our seats the whole time. The Wanderlei and Faber fights were excellent, too.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/22/2011 4:57:25 PM
MUSTBEKC- I like both the UFC and MMA. I used to watch boxing, but I admit it's boring in comparison.
I like the fact that in UFC and MMA, you can use leg kicks, knees, go to the mat, wrestle.
The best part to me is the use of martial arts.
I've seen fights that look more like a dance than a fight, boring.
I like it when they really go at each other and I highly prefer a stand up style fighter to a wrestler/submit type fighter.
 dwayne88
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2011 6:46:32 PM
GSP blew his acl out and will be on the shelf for 10 months.

Diaz will still fight on the same card, but it will be against Condit for the interm title.

.....................................................................................................
 dwayne88
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2011 8:04:54 AM
I don't see Overeem being able to stuff Brock's takedowns, unless he's improved his TD defence greatly.

His chin isn't exactly legendary either. Nor is his cardio.

If he can keep it standing for any length of time, and also have some good cardio for once, then he should be able to take Brock out, but I doubt it.
 Mikemiller2011
Msg: 66
Posted: 12/9/2011 10:20:52 AM
I think between now and March there is a UFC event going on every week.
 dwayne88
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2011 10:58:18 AM

I was surprised at how well Velasquez neutralised Brock's takedowns in their match (though I realise Cain has a wrestling background too) as Brock would seem to be much physically stronger. I was also surprised that Junior Dos Santos was able to neutralise Velasquez's wrestling in their bout.

Brock seemed to be in a hurry against Cain, and never really tried to properly control him. He just tried to get it over as fast as possible.

Cain beat him because he had better technique, which inabled him to exposed Brock's lack of standup, and cardio.

I don't know much about Overeem, but I suspect he'll just try to keep it as a stand-up fight and pick Brock apart from a distance and try to stuff his TD attempts.

That is what he'll most likely try to do. But don't sleep on Reem's subs.

He probably has the nastiest guillotine in the game.

Brock did very badly against Carwin and Velasquez, but I can't help thinking his illness was a significant factor in those fights. Hopefully, all the treatment and rest has enabled him to finally recover and regain his full strength.

I think both of those guys are just simply horrible matchups for him.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2011 10:28:23 PM
Wow, UFC 140 some incredible fights. Jon Jones is pretty much unbeatable at this point. Rashad and Phil Davis will get KO'd long before they could work any wrestling magic on him.

And Frank Mir, what a come back! Nog was absolutely tooling him on the feet. The lesson is this, kids: tap early if Mir gets a sub on you. Don't be a hero.

Zombie!
 1amTHATgirl
Msg: 69
Posted: 12/12/2011 10:21:11 AM
Great wrap up! I was one of the girls cringing during that fight. Even Dana said, you have to know when to tap and he was a fool for not tapping.

I'm glad that the Jones fight picked up speed quickly. It was looking to be some hit and miss fight in the start. Changed quite quickly.

I would love to watch a fight live! They occasionally come down to the Ft Lauderdale area, but only WEC. Which is great, but not UFC...
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 70
Posted: 12/12/2011 3:49:07 PM
That was an amazing card indeed! Nog has been around long enough to know when he should tap. Everyone knows that Mir will really crank that arm into bone breaking territory if it means he can end the fight. Plus he had to since he was rocked before he got that lock on.

Now the big question, will Lesnar win in a couple weeks? I'm thinking no.
 dwayne88
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2011 5:10:46 PM
Nog simply had too much pride. Tho he did tap. It just wasn't quick enough.

I think Reem is probably gonna get taken down and beat down against Brock.

I hope he doesn't, but his takedown D isn't amazing.

I just hope the Werdum fight was really because of his broken toe, and not simply because that is how he looks against top HW's.
 andwhomightyoube
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/27/2011 12:34:55 PM
Precisely, the fact is people try to make MMA to be a brutal no holds barred situation, which it isn't. It has gone through much transition in the past years and is a test of great merit and athletic technique. Whether the moves that are useful in MMA will wholly transfer into a real situation are sorta moot. The whole "if a boxer does this" that debate is stupid, if a boxer wears light gloves and breaks his hand, he could have did this, bla bla bla, if a "western style" boxer cross trains then steps into mma they aren't just a boxer anymore they're an mma fighter anyway, so all the "pro boxers"... why would they step into mma? they can make their money still.., gotta pay the bills and be in the spot light for as long as you can. But the whole aspect of saying if they step into this sport they'd dominate it because of their amazing athleticism and boxing ability. They as individuals might dominate it, I definitely do not see the fighting style of "western boxing" dominating the mma scene though...They need to understand how to defend against ground attacks and take downs, which now isn't boxing anymore and has now transcended into dun dun dun mma. The pro boxers are pro athletes, they have the capability to step into mma, but if they don't cross train at all, verse a fully cross trained individual, and have no idea how to fight vs a ground game 1v1...it just seems sorta a weird debate. "Real fighting" can't be staged in my opinion and there is no "real fighting" since every situation for a real fight to occur would generally be different. Different emotions at stake, the scenario that occurred, the level of force that a person intends to use. A self defense death match doesn't seem very impressive because when you break it down a real fight isn't about skill, it is about winning, regardless of how it happens, and that exact image is what so many in the sport have tried to erase. MMA isn't winning at all costs, its winning within the rules set up within the sport in order to provide both safety and intelligent application of ones technique/athleticism/skill/brute strength, etc. It is very interesting and has many scopes to it that have barely even been scratched. The fact is since MMA has come onto the scene the martial arts have gone from bullshit mysticism hype to reality of this is what works, this is what doesn't, etc. I am quite happy with the direction the MMA industry is going and am glad to be in a city that truly supports something so worth while.
 dwayne88
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:16:23 PM

but what would that say if he over powers and is quicker than a guy whos on stuff? Just a bad situation the athletic commission shouldnt allow to happen

Brock is bigger, stronger, and quicker than Reem. So if he does that, it shouldn't be very shocking.

..............................................................................................................
 kenpoboy
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 3:40:55 PM
What's funny is that Pride fan-boy Dwayne is picking Brock, and UFC fan-boy me is picking Overeem. LOL 2012 may be the end of the world! ;)
 dwayne88
Msg: 77
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2011 7:12:07 PM
Reem's takedown D ain't so good.

If he could improve that and his cardio, he would be the favorite to win, but he hasn't done that in his whole career, so I see no reason why he would start now.

Tho I would shit a brick if he caught him in a guillotine.
 dwayne88
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 8:27:56 PM
The show is still going on, so I don't wanna spoil it for everyone.

So don't look down..............................................

Jon Fitch got Ko'ed in 12 seconds by Johnny Hendricks.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2011 9:37:17 PM
Brock hasn't been the same since his illness. I just had a feeling tonight he was going to lose this fight. I'm glad to see him be smart about this and retire from the UFC after this fight. His body just can't take the same punishment like it used to after going through what he went through with that illness. You can tell his illness has taken a toll on his body, some of those body blows he took and i'm not even talking about the side kick to the stomach but typical knees he had trouble recovering from after he got hit in that region where he had surgery. It was time he, had a good run for someone with no mma background coming into the UFC. In the mean time he can still wrestle at Wrestlemaina still against the Undertaker. :)
 DartmouthRunner
Msg: 80
Posted: 12/31/2011 8:39:17 AM
It just feels like he was looking for an out anyway to go back to WWE. Dana didn't see this retirement coming at all, so he was thrown off by the announcement. Not to mention the fact that Lesnar skipped the post fight news conference. From the sounds of it, Brock was planning to leave after the following fight if he won it, to walk away as a champ.

I wanted to give the guy a chance, he has amazing physical ability for his size and with more training he would have been hard to beat in the UFC. But after the events from last night, it feels like it was an attempt to return to the WWE as a MMA champ or something like that.
 dwayne88
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 10:02:18 AM
Surgery or not, Brock was not gonna like those knees from him.

It was't anything shocking about him not taking thos knees well because Overeem has some of the best knee strikes in MMA.

That was Reem's 13th win via knee strikes in his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alistair_Overeem

Reem is gonna need to clinch with JDS quickly, and work knees and the takedowns.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 82
Posted: 12/31/2011 3:20:03 PM

...You can tell his illness has taken a toll on his body, some of those body blows he took and i'm not even talking about the side kick to the stomach but typical knees he had trouble recovering from after he got hit in that region where he had surgery..

You could see when he was hurt as all the blood rushed to the skin and he was flush.

You could see it in his chest and face.

That is when I knew he was done.

p.s. thanks for drooping in the first, you netted me a nice little pile of $.
 SteelCity1981
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 3:39:53 PM
Yeah he isn't the same anymore once he had that illness and going through those surgeries. it takes some times years to fully recover and some times you never fully recover after dealing with a lot of health problems. I just saw last night a Lesnar that wasn't the same guy that he was 2 years ago before all of those health problems. He may have felt like the best shape he was in but his body said otherwise last night.
 dwayne88
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 5:17:14 PM
I don't think that was fully his body.

He doesn't apparently like to get hit hard anywhere.

He isn't mentally a fighter by any stretch of the imagination.

SteelCity1981
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 6:45:29 PM
Well who does like to get hard anywhere lol

I don't know hge's taken some good decent size hits in the past and rebounded. i just think he has been out for soo long andgiven the fact the ilness took a toll on the body he was just never the same after that.
 dwayne88
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 12/31/2011 8:27:10 PM
What I mean is that he reacts badly to something that hurts him.

Once adversity hits, he's ready to give up unless the other guy gasses horribly.

Look how he panics when he gets rocked.

He totally loses his composure and it makes him look lost.

I do not believe for a second his surgery had and an effect on how he took those shots.

He couldn't take those shots because it was Overeem giving them to him.
 kenpoboy
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2012 7:34:10 AM
To be fair to Brock, it looks like Overeem broke his ribs with one of those knees, and that is very painful. The liver kick sealed the deal. Brock gets a lot of credit with me for getting in there with very high level competition as far as his MMA career. Is he the world-beater that some thought he was after UFC 100? No, but at the same time, he's not a can, either. All but one of his fights were against former or current champs, or high level contenders. A 5-3 record in that context ain't too shabby.

I do feel that the illness and surgeries did have an effect on Brock's athleticism, though. Wrestling is a sport that requires the utmost in core strength, and when you get your abs opened up - twice - that is going to effect your ability to be explosive. I think if Brock had been able to shoot on Overeem like he did on Heath Herring, it may have been a different story, but he was far too slow.

That said, I see Overeem beating JDS handily. JDS is an excellent boxer, but Overeem is a serious K-1 champ. I don't really see a path for JDS to win this, aside from landing a perfect KO shot.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >