Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 activemelaney
Msg: 92
view profile
History
How long before you see the othersons TRUE side?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^ CTRL

True. Thus why this is a repeated experience for some in life. Hard to know if they seek out drama or aren't bright enough to avoid it.

The other person isn't an alien but human just like us. We develop social kills throughout life. When we meet the new partners of our siblings, friends, etc. is the immediate feeling - always 'what a great match?". No, it can be, but just as often is... "Hmmm...I wish them good luck but...." We can pick out a potential issue within 10 minutes of meeting a the new person, that our starry eyed friend hasn't picked up on after a half dozen dates.

Getting to know someone new is exciting and fun. My best feeling in the world is falling in love. We want to bond. Well adjusted adults recognize this natural high.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 93
How long before you see the othersons TRUE side?
Posted: 10/3/2014 7:20:02 AM
I'd rather focus on what I'm willing to accept rather then searching for issues. Slight difference in approach.

Compromising on good enough seems to be a more Mars specific trait:)

Notice how the thread was created by the Venus side of the world? Just saying...

Asked the guy grilling the steak where he got the steak? He responds, "Butcher on 12th street"

Asked the gal grilling the steak the same question. Her response, "Why? What's wrong with it?"
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/3/2014 7:44:06 AM
There's also how people are compatible with each other. For instance. I was in a very tumultuous relationship with a woman for about 4 years. We fought all the time. She wanted to change me into something that I was not. So, could I say that I AM an argumentative guy that is picking battles all the time? When I look at that relationship, maybe.

Then I was with a woman that never argued, mainly because she was abused as a child by her mom and step father. Yet she was very passive aggressive. The moment we had one disagreement, she split with me. Now move forward to my current relationship. She is a rather calm woman, does not try to change me and loves to please. We've had however a couple of family crisis where we simply pulled together and worked like a team. At one point she indicated how controlling the previous relationship must had been, since I was expecting her to act like a previous one and she did not. We've also seen both of our dark sides, our moody sides, or pis sed off side and our angry sides and it's amazing to see that instead of ending up in fights, we understand each other and allowed the other one to work through whatever it was.

So, I don't think it's so much finally allowing yourself to come out, but how the chemistry of togetherness works, and how you complement each other during ups and downs.
 gtomustang
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/3/2014 8:25:07 AM
four years? people get a diploma in that time :) hope you got a good education in return for that investment of time.

I don't think the choice is the deciding factor, so much as the length of time. We all make "wrong turns", what is a factor is how soon you turn around. either you wish to, or the "cost" isn't as high as the "return"
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 97
Posted: 10/3/2014 8:55:28 AM

I'd rather focus on what I'm willing to accept rather then searching for issues. Slight difference in approach.

Compromising on good enough seems to be a more Mars specific trait:)

I dunno. I have been labelled 'the Queen of Good Enough' before. And one thing that made my marriage 'work' for as long as it did was my ability to accept 'good enough' in many ways.

So I'm not sure it's ALWAYS a male vs female thing. I'm flexible about a lot of stuff in a relationship. And ... I've struggled a lot more with men who have done the:

"I love you, You're Perfect, Now Change!'

thing than me wanting to change them. I figure if there is something fundamental to both of us that we can't see eye to eye on, it doesn't make sense to pound that square peg in a round hole but instead find someone who IS compatible.

That being said, I also think that I've been burned by the guy who found me 'good enough' .. until someone else who was BETTER came along. I want to feel like the person I am involved with, sleep with, etc is a pretty good fit - and therefore I'm going to really be invested, try to make it work.

I was crazy about a man who (about 1.5 years in to our relationship) said to me ( we were talking about a nutty female friend of his landlord who kind of came on to him) "I'm not that selective about whose bed I get into, but even I wouldn't sleep with her..."

And wow. "Not that selective". That hurt, because I am selective -- he was incredibly special and special to me!

And, of course, in hindsight when I found out some of the things that were going on (I suspected but never had proof till he fessed up, 6 months after the fact, with the explanation that he just wanted me to know that I COULD trust my gut feelings after all, sigh) I guess he wasn't all that selective.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 98
Posted: 10/3/2014 9:53:06 AM
I dunno. I have been labelled 'the Queen of Good Enough' before.

I've been labeled "The King of Anything." And as soon as I got that label, Sara Bareilles would come up to me just to start arguments. She would start by exclaiming that I didn't know her. I mean, all I was trying to do was drink my coffee, then she got in my face telling me that she didn't need me.

And honestly I never disagreed, I didn't even say anything. But that didn't stop her from posing this sarcastic, and rhetorical question - "who died, and made you king of anything?"

I mean she was crazy, telling me I was lost, and that I had no direction. Then she said she was making maps I think, and that I was using her name or something. I tried to be civil, but she snarled at me, telling me I had the talking down, but not the listening. And I think that was a little hypocritical, because I didn't even get to finish a single sentence.

Later that afternoon she was arrested for indecent exposure. In addition to twerking, in a no twerking zone.... pfft... pop artists these days. Am I right?
 gtomustang
Msg: 99
Posted: 10/3/2014 1:24:29 PM
ever consider why she wanted your attention so much?
 the_summerwind
Msg: 100
Posted: 10/3/2014 5:01:19 PM

Ive not had this issue but I have also only had 3 serious relationships in my life. The first two ran their course rather than some great change in the guy.

Me too....imo , its said u have 3 great & wonderful loves in your life............ as they run their course...... as the first one in the early years in life.........remembering him or her......then you have the one...in your rearing the family years...20 years for me, then then your over 50 years of age... the one last person to take your breath away S/O years .......

imo....... Activemelaney...... glad u have made it there.... one more & hopefully.... the very last, of times !!!!! cheers
 bamagrl68
Msg: 101
Posted: 10/6/2014 1:31:07 PM
ClooneysTutor- I agree about focusing on what you are and aren't willing to accept. I'm not so sure about "good enough" or "compromising". How's that different from settling? I'm past the notion of star crossed lovers, fairy tales, prince charming, etc.
However, a relationship that's based on "good enough"?! I almost think I would rather be hated, at least there would be some passion in it.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/7/2014 9:19:41 PM
I think, in general, men are more forgiving then women. We'll tolerate more so we're not alone. Yes, this is a generalization. Check.

I was mocking women in general when I said that I'd rather focus on what I'm 'ok with' rather then 'finding things'.

Ok, she doesn't make as much as me nor is as educated, but she adores me and is easy to talk to.

You know, women are also concerned about what a man has as much as who he IS. If he ain't got money, he better be good at providing something else!

It's all in jest, but...I do think there's some truth to that generalization:)

Vannili
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2014 11:56:56 PM

How long before you see the other's TRUE side ?

When the reality kicks in, but some people are so desperate to have some one to be with, until they realize they are battered physically and emotionally that they can't take no longer..
 Worbug
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:26:56 PM
Post #84 Nice Post

Kinda of funny, the OP claims she hides nothing concerning her personality. Yet she felt the need to start a thread wondering how long before her sig other reveals his true side. Cannot give him the benefit of the doubt, yet she is only half heart invested as she stated in one of her post.

There are things that change peoples views of others, and it's not necessaryily the "True Side" comming out, sometimes the person you are with evolve from external effects.

As far as the OP original question "How long before you see the othersons (?) True Side"?

When you prove you are not worthy of any effort.

I honestly think if I knew the woman I am dating had a predetrmination that I was something I was not and felt the need to go on a dating site to get adivce from a bunch of other bitter women, I would probably just move on. She is not showing her "True SIde"!! This shows a lack of trust and I would always have to prove myself instead of just being in a caring relationship.

As far as marriage goes, completely overated in this day and age. The only people marriage is good for are the Lawyers!!

Kinda sitting here wondering what the post would be like if the OP's man was to start a post "How Long before the girls I am seeing gets obese" or "How long before the girl I am dating becomes a controlling B#$ch" because the women he dated before her were like that.
 Iam_RFSF2014
Msg: 105
Posted: 10/20/2014 12:43:06 PM

I honestly think if I knew the woman I am dating had a predetrmination that I was something I was not and felt the need to go on a dating site to get adivce from a bunch of other bitter women, I would probably just move on. She is not showing her "True SIde"!! This shows a lack of trust and I would always have to prove myself instead of just being in a caring relationship.

I've had the same reaction to this conversation - what is with all the 'waiting for the other shoe to drop'. Is that REALLY a good way to start?

I can see taking one's time in terms of making a big decision - marriage, living together, etc. Not because you are expecting the worst, but because it makes sense, but this thread seemed overly pessimistic.

I am just starting out with a guy who I'm becoming fonder and fonder towards. But this has been a bit of a stumbling block a bit for us. His last girlfriend was very 'volatile' (for lack of a nastier term) and things ended up pretty terribly for them/him. According to his telling, she didn't show this side for a good month+.

He's asked me multiple times if this is really who I am, when is he going to see the other side of me, etc. I'm not unsympathetic and I do get where he's coming from...... I've told him to just continue to get to know me (without jumping in with both feet too soon) Hopefully he'll see that the person he's gone out with so far really is the person I am (which isn't to say I'll never have a bad day, etc but I'm fairly conflict averse so all the fighting he did with her, he won't get with me, no way).

Less folks think I'm a total pushover - I've also told him that as much as I sympathize and hate that she was awful, I can't make up for that. He seems to be getting more comfortable with the concept that I might just be 'ok' (ha! teasing me a bit, of course I am) and this past weekend things definitely felt more like a moving forward vs a guarding against a repeat of the past.
 TerrieLynnC70
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2014 1:38:24 PM
I don't think you can set a time limit on this.............but you can't live your life wondering about all the what if's..................
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >