Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men 40+ and Childless      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moraima
Msg: 251
view profile
History
Men 40+ and ChildlessPage 11 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
"perfectly acceptable to make nasty comment about people who do have children. Why is that? Just wondering."

Answered in my post #284 above.

Could also be the decades of having people making nasty comments that childless people have had to put up with.
My favorite being childless people are selfish.

Recently I had a women press me about why I never had children. I replied that I am allergic to them. She responded with "you make them sound like a disease". To which I laughed said nothing, but I though the conversation was funny as hell.
Here she thought she was going to shame me, and all she did was amuse me.
 newdejavu
Msg: 252
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/18/2014 7:34:37 AM
The OP seems long gone, but this thread has carried on. Lots of good answers. I never felt
the instinct to have children/procreate. When I was married (mid 20's to mid 30's); I basically
acquiesced to my then wife's wishes, and we tried to have children. We were unable to have
children. I have no regrets, but I know it was very hard for her.

Now in my early 50's, divorced for many years, and no desire to have children at this stage of life.
If I had childen, they would be grown. To each their own, if someone late 40's and over wants to start a family,
it is an option. I like children, but, young children would be a barrier to dating at my age.
Then again, I have no desire to date younger women for that very reason.

Bigger perspective, there are many children being brought up in foster care or worse; and it is
heartbreaking. I don't know what the solution is, or really what I can do, but I do think about this
as I age. I am curious about others' experiences with mentoring/volunteerism with
youth. It takes a village, and our young people need as many positive, trusting influences as possible, imo.
 imokurok77
Msg: 253
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/18/2014 8:20:27 AM

Bigger perspective, there are many children being brought up in foster care or worse; and it is
heartbreaking. I don't know what the solution is, or really what I can do, but I do think about this
as I age. I am curious about others' experiences with mentoring/volunteerism with
youth. It takes a village, and our young people need as many positive, trusting influences as possible, imo.

My ex-husband's current girlfriend (who is a WONDERFUL person) never had children - she was very career focused, traveled the world 'doing good' essentially. But when she hit 50, I think she felt like she wanted to try to make a difference in the life of ONE person.

She now has a foster son who is 19 years old (the foster care system doesn't always 'do' well by these young people who are often NOT ready to be independent) and she'll have him till he's 21 (and likely be involved with him for the rest of her life). There have been challenges - this young man was in and out of foster homes starting at age 11 or 12 and in a way, he seems much younger than his true age. It's been very heartwarming to hear about (I've met him once,my daughters have been around him multiple times).

There ARE ways to contribute to a young person's life.
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/20/2014 11:19:48 AM
I totally agree ^^^^

A childless person is not automatically selfish.

I come from a large family and have a lot of nieces and nephews (including a couple of greats).

Though I am totally lacking of maternal instinct and did not babysit my nieces and nephews, they know I love them.

Whether you decide to have no kids, one kid or many, biological or adopted, make sure you know within yourself why.
A person will make whatever choices, whether they were freely made or otherwise, they are ultimately responsible for those choices.

I never babysat bad kids.. I've only full-on yelled at kids to prevent them from danger. There were a couple instances where a little kid would run into the street. When I snapped out their name like I was giving drill, they turned around and hauled ass back to safety. I think it is because I seldom speak or raise my voice, that when I do, it is such a shock. I knew that I was lacking whatever ingredient that makes for a good and loving parent so I didn't have children. How can I judge any men who are in the same shoes as me? I can say that I do help make lives better to some extent. My taxes help the public, I donate to charities, I have volunteered and done heavy-lifting for others (whether they had kids or not). If a person becomes a parent by surprise, it is always my hope they do they best by this new life they created to become a loving, contributing member of society. From the sidelines, I know parenting is hard, but if the effort and emotional capacity is there, it can be very rewarding.

As a single, childless person, I am glad that I would no longer be regarded as a parasite or a drain on society because I did not marry or raise a family. I admire those who can raise a family or children or maintain a relationship. I always wonder when a person decides they want children, how do they picture their day-to-day life as this little person grows?
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 255
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/20/2014 3:48:02 PM

"Can you people who have kids explain why you feel a need to have kids and contribute to over-population and the problems associated with that?"

Ask those that have more than 2 children. As for myself I practiced zero population growth & have 2 kids.

The older I get, the more I can't understand why any women would put her body through child bearing.

For the Women who feel like this, I guess it's a good thing your Mothers didn't feel the same way.....
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 256
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/20/2014 3:53:18 PM
That is an odd statement, women are designed and built for child bearing.

I feel for those that wanted children but couldn't have them whether one or both had fertility issues or that they never had a partner during their child bearing years. And it's a choice we all make and neither choice is right or wrong, it's just OUR choice.
 moraima
Msg: 257
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/20/2014 7:22:49 PM
"For the Women who feel like this, I guess it's a good thing your Mothers didn't feel the same way...."

You say that like you think that it would be a problem for me. If I had never been born how could it be problem to me?

From the opening post "I run into alot of men in their 40s and beyond that never had children and it always makes me wonder"

People who don't have children for whatever reason are questioned through out their whole lives as to their choice. People who have children maybe questioned rarely as to why they choose to have children. I just don't understand why those who have children are uncomfortable with people who choose not to.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 258
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/21/2014 4:10:38 PM

People who don't have children for whatever reason are questioned through out their whole lives as to their choice. People who have children maybe questioned rarely as to why they choose to have children. I just don't understand why those who have children are uncomfortable with people who choose not to.

It's funny. Not the ha-ha kind of funny, the odd/interesting/unique or even bizarre kind of funny, to me, how this whole children thing plays out. Personally? I had one child. By choice. Never questioned that decision until about a year ago. Why hadn't I had more than one, was my question, but that's a question that's a whole 'nother topic. I do think more people than most would think, at times, think about their lives had they not had a child/ren. It's just not "supposed" to be something we/they think or talk about because that would seem un-maternal/paternal. IMO

~OT~ Somewhere back in the day when I actually posted here, I made no excuses for my preference for men who had no children. And then my only child died and as time passed and I began to try to live again, explaining that loss to a man who had never had a child/ren was like speaking Greek to a Chinese-only-speaking-person. So I tried the men with children and that had a slew of issues I already knew I didn't wish to deal with and so? That leaves only men who'd had one child that sadly died at some point, like myself. A conundrum for sure. What I've surmised? I do best with men with no children, who are emotionally sound. It wasn't that the men with no children I dated didn't get it, they didn't get emotional stuff, period. It wasn't their child/less status that was issue, it was just not a fit for me on any level really and I likely got stuck on the kid thing as a reason for x, y, or z. So, I went the whole other route and was with someone with step-kids, kids, surrogate kids, etc., etc., and quite frankly? I needed maps/charts and instructions on who was who/whose and which ones I needed to know or not know and which ones were pro-me or not and all this other jazz that simply did not mix with my small-minded attitude that I'm dating the man, not his family. Silly me! So there are those of us who have set preferences and those completely open. The only thing I know for a fact? If someone like me, tried/true 30 year preference, tries to be polar opposite of who they've always been? Someone's gonna have hurt feelings and it's not likely me. Stick with what you know, if you know. My new motto! (And yeah, I tried the normal man with 2.5 kids and that wasn't for me either. I'm not anti-child/ren, just not interested in the stuff that goes with "blending" me with a ready-made family. I'm simply not step-mother material.) JMO
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 259
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:05:57 PM
Never had a real desire to be a biological father. I can remember at 19 years of age, having a conversation with a 40-something coworker, who was trying to convince me that I would, "change my mind". I also think that the judicial system heavily favors women, and subconsciously, I never wanted to put myself in a position where a woman has that much leverage and control over me.

I can handle children in small doses, and ironically, I have much more patience for young children (under 6), than pre-teens and teens. I have little to no use for the pre-teens and teens that I have come into contact with.

I can relate to a mother because very often, I can empathize with a person, even if I am not in their specific situation. Much the same way I can relate to (some) childless females, even though I have never been a female; or to a dog lover, despite the fact that I have never owned a dog (as an adult).
 mongo3000
Msg: 260
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/23/2014 3:02:04 AM
I never wanted to have children.

Maybe I did when I was very young but my world view changed. The biosphere is experiencing a meltdown and humans are behaving like we have infinite resources to support infinite births. We act like for every child we conjure there will be adequate resources and careers available to them, and this is simply not the case. I didn't want to add to the destruction of the biosphere nor did I see the future as a place that would be kind to my children, so I chose to make the sacrifice for the greater good.

In addition I didn't find childhood that positive. My parents, who love me dearly, always seemed stressed, overworked, and worn out, so my experience as a child seemed to indicate that raising children was difficult and stressful and rife with conflict. It didn't appear to be the romantic "miracle" as our hormones make it out to be. (and now that pretty much all my friends now have kids that perspective has remained unchanged if not more defined)

I had a very romantic notion of childlessness, especially in a post feminist world. I thought imagine what an exciting life I could have with my true love. We could take the quarter million dollars that each child would cost us to raise and instead have an exciting life together full of travel, fun and the excitement of working as partners to make a good living and a rich rewarding life together. Nothing about creating miniature replicas of myself and spending 20 years socially molding this mini version of myself held any interest for me. I felt there were way more exciting things to do with my brief life on Earth.

I, of course, was delusional. I was ignorant to the power of female hormones. As I grew older almost every woman I knew ended up having children, even the ones who swore they would never do such a thing. Meanwhile I went and got a vasectomy (16 years ago).

Now most of the women of my generation had children way older than the previous generation so there are scads of middle aged divorced women with little children. It appears not only did many of them have a powerful drive to have children but most also found that after they had children they had no further use for their male partners.

Not to mention that any childless woman around forty is in the last chance to dance mode and simply sees a potential lover as a sperm donor. I have seen many men convinced (or deceived) by women of this age to have children with them only to be cast aside as only child support donors soon after the baby is born.

Now I'm surrounded by cranky middle aged women with small children geographically locked down in a specific zone with their ex husbands and ex boyfriends who all they do is complain about. Or they run away with the kids and force the children's fathers to continually follow them around just so they can be close to their children.

I can tell you that there is nothing endearing about a stressed out single mother who constantly complains about her ex and whose children (and usually her pet dog(s)) demand all her time.

I'm looking for a woman who is free to have an in depth romance, one where we can love and focus on each other and the enjoyment of our life together. Instead my only choice seems to be on the bottom of a single mother's priority list where I simply get to be her parenting assistant, picking the kids up from school, walking the dog and hearing about her frustrations with her ex husband. For me, there is nothing attractive or romantic about that. I didn't conduct myself so sexually responsibly and avoid having children just to adopt another person's family. What would be the point of staying childless then?

And let's face it, many children are not planned, and this seems rather irresponsible to someone who did plan NOT to have children. Also, how can I take a woman seriously who seemingly dives into the most important decisions of her life (marriage and children) and then leaves her husband when things don't work out the way she wants? 2 out of 3 divorces are instigated by women. What does that say about the whole marriage and children commitment in our society?

I dreamed of a different kind of romance. But it appears that it was just that, a dream. I took responsibility and made sure I didn't impregnate a woman accidentally and my reward ended up being complete solitude and loneliness.

16 years after my vasectomy I still can't find an attractive woman my age who decided to pass on the whole motherhood thing (and who didn't adopt dogs as surrogate children (crazy)).

If you want to feel what it's like to really be lonely and marginalized try being a guy like me who thought he would meet the love of his life and have a soul mate romance free of children.

I still have hope that she is out there, but that hope is seriously waning at this point.

I hope this sheds some light on your question Rozewater.
 Maleman999
Msg: 261
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/23/2014 11:49:30 AM

I can remember at 19 years of age, having a conversation with a 40-something coworker, who was trying to convince me that I would, "change my mind".

You're lucky if it only happened once. I, and I'm sure most other childfree people, have been told this countless times. for years. Why is it, when you express interest or non-interest in other things, you don't get the "you'll change you mind" BS? When people express a career aspiration, a favorite or non-favorite food, favorite color, favorite TV show, etc., you never hear people say "You will change your mind". The next time I hear a young person say they want to have kids someday, I'll do the "You'll change you mind" speech. I'm sure a lot of people would love to change their mind after having kids, but it's not socially acceptable to say that.
 BeachBikeHike
Msg: 262
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/24/2014 1:02:30 PM
I'm childless by choice, and I'm sick of being made to feel like I have to explain myself. I've been told "You'll be old and lonely," "No one will take care of you," "You'll have no one to love you."

Whatever! All those things could turn out to be TRUE for those of you who HAVE children. I'm just sayin'
 selyemcsiklo
Msg: 263
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 2:56:40 AM
I'm childless, WOMANLESS AND MANLESS (because I'm hetero) by choice, and I'm sick of NOT being made to feel like I have to explain myself. Nobody cares. Nobody told me "You'll be old and lonely," "No one will take care of you," "You'll have no one to love you."

Whatever! All those things could turn out to be TRUE for those of you who HAVE children. I'm just sayin'.

Then again, my cousin said, "A bachelor lives like a king, and dies like a pauper, and a family person (man or woman) lives like a pauper and dies like a king."

I've never died, so I can't say for sure, but I wonder if it makes it any easier to do it when you are surrounded by egotistic, greedy little btards, who can hardly wait for you to turn over the goods that you so meticulously collected over the years of your life.

Or even those who died, and could say for sure, have no bases of comparison. You can't die both ways; you can only die one death, so there is no real or consequential way to make the comparison by experiential methods, whether it makes any actual difference to die old and alone, or old and surrounded by your greedy little spawn, while your imminent widow/widower is getting felt up by your own single brother/sister by your bedside.
 forums1
Msg: 264
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:11:34 AM

I've never died, so I can't say for sure, but I wonder if it makes it any easier to do it when you are surrounded by egotistic, greedy little btards, who can hardly wait for you to turn over the goods that you so meticulously collected over the years of your life.

I watched a family do this at one point... 6 kids, one son who had moved in with the mom to take care of her as she was old/sickly and eventually (and dying of) cancer - the other 5 would show up when he had her at doctor appointments and literally steal furniture and mementos and stuff from the house (which he'd then have to try to explain away when she noticed), took her one day when he was out for a few hours and got her (while drugged up on painkillers) to sign away his right to medical decisions (which she'd assigned to him years before), tried to get her to write him out of her will, etc. Meanwhile they offered no real help as he was literally wiping the sh*t off her after 'accidents' in bed, etc. They were more concerned about 'getting theirs' than the fact their own mother was dying.
 cooldog65
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 5:46:42 AM
I have absolutely no interest in fathering or raising children.

Not now...Not ever. 

You're welcome. 
 selyemcsiklo
Msg: 266
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 4:05:36 PM
""""I watched a family do this at one point... 6 kids, one son who had moved in with the mom to take care of her as she was old/sickly and eventually (and dying of) cancer - the other 5 would show up when he had her at doctor appointments and literally steal furniture and mementos and stuff from the house (which he'd then have to try to explain away when she noticed), took her one day when he was out for a few hours and got her (while drugged up on painkillers) to sign away his right to medical decisions (which she'd assigned to him years before), tried to get her to write him out of her will, etc. Meanwhile they offered no real help as he was literally wiping the sh*t off her after 'accidents' in bed, etc. They were more concerned about 'getting theirs' than the fact their own mother was dying.""""

Thank you, thank you! This was much funnier than my post. Perhaps because your story is true to life.

I am going to die pennyless, as I already have achieved that state. It's great to be penniless. You can't take it with you, so what's the point (if you got nobody to leave it to).

I tell you, most people (men) have children because they don't want to see their stuff go to waste. The idiots don't realize that after they die, there is no way they would give two hoots where their money goes. Before they die, they worry about where the stuff goes, and after they die, the actual divviing up is totally inconsequential to the dead person.

Women have children, in my opinion, because women actually do enjoy children. Some guys can put up a good show of faking that, and there are still some other guys who enjoy, truly, having and raising children. But it's very rare for a woman to not enjoy her child.

But I digressed.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 7:41:09 PM
Mongo3000- I heard you man- our lives are somewhat different but kind of ended up in the same place.
I came out of a relationship close to 40 with no children involved. It could have been a blessing in disguise because it made splitting up less complicated. She was never really interested in having children and busied herself with going to school twice.
So at close to 40 and single again- I went out and met women, thinking maybe there was a chance of still having child. But what I ran into was similar to what you noticed. Most women at that age either had children and wanted no more, a few were childless and didn't want to have children and were using pets as substitutes. By about 45 I pretty much wrote off the idea of children. But I figured I still have a meaningful relationship with someone, perhaps see the world, go out and enjoy.
Now I find its down to basically women that aren't interested anymore, still occupied by their children's lives more than they need to be, grandchildren and their dogs. They seem to have little room left for men. But really, at least at the start the man is a new element to their lives and untested too. I can appreciate that I'm not their whole life and more than willing to start slow. If they've been solely mothers a lot of their lives, some find it hard to make their own lives once the kids are grown.
But then again, these women doing online dating are the few putting themselves out there a bit, trying to meet men. They maybe the best of the bunch. But as many of us know the medium has its own issues. Its best to get out in real life, live a bit and maybe come across the right person there.
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 8/31/2014 8:41:16 PM
Interesting stat from the internet- 47 % of men had fathered at least one child in 2006. See here for more information

http://www.webmd.com/men/news/20060601/how-many-men-become-fathers

The survey of men showed:
•Nearly half -- 47% -- reported fathering at least one biological or adopted child.
•Most dads became fathers in their 20s.
•About a quarter of dads have never been married.

Less than half of men of appropriate age, 15 to 44 said they had fathered at least one child. Its no wonder your running into a lot of them on here. Its not as odd as some might think. Truly in general women want kids more than men. I think there's an inherent biological reason for this but still here on the planet we keep having more than enough kids to keep the population growing.
 Strings6
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/10/2014 6:58:26 PM
Its never a good idea to use people as a means to an end...have kids and you won't be lonely ? tell that to the thousands of elderly people rotting away in Nursing homes after being all but abandoned by their kids....have kids and you will have somebody to take care of you ? tell that to the thousands of parents who have kids in their 30s living at home or who's lives are so dysfunctional that they need constant attention and/or financial support....having kids makes you grow up and learn the real meaning of love ? realy,do we have to go there....any casual glance at the headlines will reveal the flaw in that myth,have kids only if you and your spouse genuinely want children to nurture,care for and teach right from wrong and respect for other people.
Msg: 270
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/13/2014 7:28:12 PM
Ask the person! See if they will be honest with you!!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/13/2014 9:57:13 PM
I have one surviving son.
I am blessed to have that young man in my life.
It is because of him that I am the man that I am today. The sacrifices I made to my professional path in support of his mother would have been naught but fool's gold without him as the final result.
It was through my son that I saw a reflection of my father; and I became better.

While I wanted to have a full house of little knights (and knightesses??) it wasn't in the stars - son's mother and I lost a small hand full over the years . Turns out I had a congenital condition that damaged my seed to the point that my son's survival was nearly miraculous. Had condition corrected, now too old to want to have more children. [Oh, you got to love life.]

Anyway, the take-away for me is that if someone doesn't want children I tend to follow their lead - I assume they know their heart more than I. But at the same time if I were to meet a woman w/o child(ren) I would want to know her state of mind concerning that issue as I feel it most certainly would be material to our long term compatibility.

TK
[Unlucky in love. Still Blessed]
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 272
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/14/2014 9:35:10 AM
"I dreamed of a different kind of romance. But it appears that it was just that, a dream. I took responsibility and made sure I didn't impregnate a woman accidentally and my reward ended up being complete solitude and loneliness."

No matter what the topic on these forums there's always a man or two blaming women for his own loneliness and failures in life.

Those stupid, ignorant women, having kids at a later age, ruining it for single guys who want childless women. All that effort the guy put into not having kids, making sure he had money for other stuff like vacations and spoiling his lady, and what happens? Middle age women are having kids, they're ALL divorcing (it appears) and now are worn out and complain about it!

All of them!

How dare they make their own choices and leave me out of it! After all I sacrificed!

These forums are a real eye opener. It really has shown me, reading some of these posts, how much blame men put on women for not arranging their lives to completely cater to a man's desires and future plans, regardless of whether or not she is even a part of his life. Women apparently are expected to *anticipate* there is some stranger out there who is saving his time and money just for her, so she needs to shut off her instincts, not have kids, go find him and begin living her life as per his plans, not her own.

SCADS of women running around middle age with kids they complain about? Scads? Really? Where?

Anyway, point is, I suspect your eternal loneliness has little to do with women deciding to have "last minute kids." It's your crappy attitude about the whole thing. Turning yourself into a victim over it.

Barf.

I actually agree entirely with you about the 7 billion plus people on this planet, currently destroying precious resources, plant and animal life. It is no joke, and no, I am not inspired, and never was, to bring yet more humans into this world. I also spent my life crafting my career as a professional artist..I knew this was where I wanted my biggest investment to be.

Occasionally people would ask me about kids but it didnt happen that often..people could see what I was focused on, what I wanted in life. That was never an issue.

And hey. Guess what. I have enough money to pay a mortgage. I just bought a new car. And yes, yearly trips to Europe, home improvement, $100 Whole Foods orders, blah blah. I guess I'm exactly what you were looking for...the non complaining, non stressed out childless woman who saves her money for property investments, travel and good food.

And I would never go out with you. Your self centered, whining, pity party attitude that it's all about how women have not given you what you THINK you should have gotten from them because of how you chose to live your life is a total turn off.

You live your life because of YOU, not because you're expecting some big payback from a female (or I from a male). You made your choices, and you should be happy about them.

I cant imagine making solid choices for myself in life, without turning back, and then breaking down and crying that I dont have a man because I tried to make life easier for him by not having kids, having disposable income, blah blah insanity! Your life is your own, and are your choices. Whether you end up being "rewarded" for it, in your eyes, is all a matter of perspective. Your "reward" is a life lived AS YOU CHOOSE.

And guess what..women have a right to choose, too. And that may include having kids whenever they see fit.

Sorry.
 dallasdoer
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/24/2014 2:46:13 PM
Thank you forums1 for the graphic nature of humans, and to the others that put OP in her place. As for me, I was just darned lucky and yes, I was married for about 15 years [to a model who confessed (after we married) she lied about wanting kids]. Turns out she was like raising a brood of bad seeds [spoiled rotten only child]. Thank Heaven for moms and I generally do not wish to date those who have not suffered through all that [it makes them easier to deal with].
 dallasdoer
Msg: 274
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/24/2014 2:46:22 PM
Thank you forums1 for the graphic nature of humans, and to the others that put OP in her place. As for me, I was just darned lucky and yes, I was married for about 15 years [to a model who confessed (after we married) she lied about wanting kids]. Turns out she was like raising a brood of bad seeds [spoiled rotten only child]. Thank Heaven for moms and I generally do not wish to date those who have not suffered through all that [it makes them easier to deal with].
 dallasdoer
Msg: 275
view profile
History
Men 40+ and Childless
Posted: 9/24/2014 2:46:43 PM
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Men 40+ and Childless