Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nmarty1
Msg: 30
Inappropriate age difference?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Why don't you take a seat over there?
 Beachgirltoo
Msg: 31
Inappropriate age difference?
Posted: 7/27/2011 4:47:36 PM
I married a man who was exactly my age, but I never dated anyone my age before marriage or after. When I was 18 I dated a 24 year old, when I got divorced a while ago I went out with a 29 year old..quite some years younger than me, but he was mature. It definitely depends on the level of maturity and where your head is at .
 CumberlandIsTheBestLand
Msg: 32
Posted: 7/27/2011 6:18:01 PM
No age difference is inappropriate. If two people are genuinely in love, than they shouldn't fret about their ages.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 33
Posted: 7/28/2011 7:25:21 PM
^^^^^ HA! Mid forties arrives way faster than you think! You'll be singing a different tune then though! I wish I could be there to see you look yourself in the mirror and wonder why ... I won't be though...I'll be 63 and probably going out with my 40 year old GF!
 i-like-cat-treats
Msg: 34
Posted: 7/31/2011 12:57:09 PM
When you are an adult working your own job, paying your own bills, then what does it matter? Maturity does count for a lot too, there are men/women in their thirties who aren't necessarily that mature.

I'm 20 and my last boyfriend was 32. I am extremely happy with older men and find them very, very attractive! However.. it can be offputting to some when they realize what age you are, if that sort of thing is important to them. I say go for how you feel.. not numbers.
 legend1289
Msg: 35
Posted: 8/2/2011 11:12:57 AM
i personally like older men, to each its own, but i believe that age really isnt a big deal as long as that person makes you feel like the queen/ king that u are why should it matter? Are you really gonna walk away from somethhing that could be great for you because of the year u were born? THINK ABOUT IT...
 unclezeus
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/3/2011 7:48:04 PM

because he felt the age difference was too much. He is 32; she is 23.

Being fond of someone only means he he doesn't have to wrestle her to the floor to get some.
Your friend is making too much of a big deal out of it. 32/23 difference is fine for sex and making out, but not for a committed relationship.

Do you think he's right?

No. Its great for dating. Tell him to relax and have some fun.

Personally, I think they could make a good couple.

Well that would be stupid. She should not be committed to anyone at her age. Your friend would only be dating her, getting laid...etc , but not for commitment.

But I'm no expert, and I never dated someone much younger than me.

If you can attract them, do it. You'll have a good time.
But stop thinking of "Dating" as a "Couple commitment".... its only for sex.
 anna4
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/3/2011 9:40:56 PM
that isnt a bad age difference? :o
 PetulantPrincess
Msg: 39
Posted: 8/4/2011 12:41:58 PM
[ So, a bunch of us went camping. While in the camp, a friend of mine got cozy with a girl he met there. A few days later, I heard from someone that she was fond of him. I passed this information to him, expecting he'd ask her out. He thought about it for awhile but finally decided against it because he felt the age difference was too much. He is 32; she is 23.

Do you think he's right? Personally, I think they could make a good couple. But I'm no expert, and I never dated someone much younger than me.]

I think that an age difference of 10 or more years between two people is too much. I believe that there 4 things must be in place for 2 people to work. Those 4 things are emotional, intellectual, sexual, and spiritual compatibility. I don't believe that people need to be alike in these 4 areas to have a successful relationship, but they MUST be able to at least connect with each other in these 4 areas, or the relationship won't stand a chance. Now, with this being said. If a a 32yr old on a developmental level is where he/she should be for their age, then a 23 year old is not going to cut it for them in all 4 of these areas. I'm 34yrs old and the mere thought of a 24yr old boy is both laughable and insane to me. Good luck and happy fishing to all
 want to travel
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/4/2011 2:10:08 PM
really that is not a bad age difference , 9 years,my parent had 21 years between them, and they had a wonderful marriage
but I do not think I could do it, it is not my thing...
 1776or1984
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/6/2011 6:52:22 PM
For dating that much difference shouldn't be an issue, but there are practical limits when it comes to a relationship. When I was 40 I had a 20 year old come after me, turned into an 8 1/2 year relationship albeit a rocky one. I had dated younger women before but had sworn off on them for one closer to my age but sometimes life will throw you exactly what you push away. If you date too far out of your age range you will face some real issues:

Maturity- If you are twice their age, you have had twice the time to grow up. It might be like listening to a teenager at times.

Values- You are coming from a different generation. Expectations, values, standards, and experiences are going to be completely different on some things.

Judgement- You have made a lot more mistakes in your life that you have learned from and seen much more, you are going to be right a lot of the time while she is looking at things from a different perspective. That can be handy, you are going to be the walking encyclopdia for her. Problem is, it gets old for her.

Peer pressure- I had some resistance from one or two in my family, even some customers didn't like it when they found out that she wasn't my daughter. The women seemed to be the ones that didn't like it, maybe thought it would cause their man to start thinking.

Children- her clock is going to start ticking around 30 years old no matter what she says, she will likely want kids. Do you want to be putting children through college when you are in your 70's? Or maybe paying child support in your 50's or 60's?

And lastly, what happens when children grow up? They leave home...

Not saying it is wrong, not saying I won't do it again, just saying that a few wrinkles are looking a lot better the older I get.
 cookies1972
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/6/2011 7:48:07 PM
depends on the age and maturity. if you would've said 18 and 30 i would say that's creepy and why would a grown man want someone right out of high school.....
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/6/2011 8:56:07 PM
Unless after talking to her they had nothing in common, he should go for it because it might be good for him. There are times when it won't work, but you won't know that until after you have gone out with someone a few times.

Tell him to give it a shot..
 Traditional3
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/10/2011 5:29:32 PM
Why is it that none of the guys are saying how it is perfectly normal for older men and younger women to marry? Historically, logically, it makes perfect sense. And ofcourse, youth is prettier. Sorry older ladies, but youth is is what men want. Additionally, I want to breed and let's face it, the earlier you start up the factory, the more production you will yeild. Thoughts? ;)
 Traditional3
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/10/2011 5:36:18 PM
depends on the age and maturity. if you would've said 18 and 30 i would say that's creepy and why would a grown man want someone right out of high school.....

???????

The real question is why Wouldn't a grown man want someone right out of highschool? Yummy.
 howrya2day
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/14/2011 8:31:10 AM
this is how i look at it..... there are two age groups adults and non adults. Ive met a lot of child like people of all ages both male and female. so who is the mature one here>?
 larissan04
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/16/2011 3:53:35 PM
at this age...23 and 32...yes the age difference is a bit too much. if she was 33 and he was 42 it wouldn't be so bad. this young woman has just started her life as an adult. she doesn't know who she is yet or what she wants. most likely your friend is smart enough to realize this.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 49
Posted: 9/19/2011 3:28:31 PM
It's not that the age difference is inappropriate.

Its that at HER age right now, low 20's that reality is
she has no clue what she wants in a relationship except for TODAY.

Next week, month,year..who knows?

Girls want to have fun!!!
They change constantly esp their minds.

Her reasoning skills are also behind his and that doesn't have a thing to do with her intellect.
Its a fact that her brain has not developed fully yet..

If he is willing to take that chance and live for now..I say Go for it.
 Jerilyn
Msg: 50
Posted: 9/19/2011 6:09:24 PM
Sounds like he`s thinking with the right head..
 Dorkvader27
Msg: 51
Posted: 9/20/2011 10:43:42 AM
Yes and no. The older you get the less important age becomes. It depends on numerous factors a 23 year old woman is more then likely looking for someone to marry and have a family with. If he's a 32 year old male with a divorce under his belt and kids already he might not want those things. In my opinion where people run into problems with age differences over 6 year or so is maturity and being at different points in life.

He might not be interested in her and just using the age gap as a way out.
 Dorkvader27
Msg: 52
Posted: 9/20/2011 10:45:50 AM
"what if at 18 she was mature and likes older guys and likes what that 30 yo has to offer? "

How would you feel if a 30 year old man was fooling with your 18 year old daughter?

I can tell you this much if a 30 y/o man tried to date my 18 year old daughter he would be regreting it.
 Biffa_B
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 7:51:51 AM
My last girlfriend was 23 when I was 39.
Before anyone judges... i think the age is a number, it's how the person is that counts. We worked in the same company about 300 miles apart though. We met and there was just something there immediately. We went out for a drink (she asked) and hit it off immediately. Funnily enough we didnt discuss age straight away. She was very mature and we had some pretty stimulating converstations. When we talked ages, she said it was not relevant and her mother seemed pretty cool with it as well.

Personally I don't care if people think it was wrong, we were both very happy.
 ForRumOnly
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:38:55 AM
For me, it's only an issue or inappropriate if the two people involved think that it is. Otherwise, it's not MY business to care, unless perhaps one of them is my son or daughter. In that case, I may have an opinion or concern, but it's ultimately still THEIR decision.
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/29/2011 11:50:54 AM
If you are over the age of 23 and you are dating teenagers(of legal age) then that is an innapropriate age difference.
 jpwrnglrwmn_forumsonly
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/3/2011 9:37:20 PM
Hard to say, as it depends on the maturity of both individuals, and what both are looking for at that point in their lives. She's 23, probably either in school or just graduated college, maybe starting grad school. Even if they have quite a bit in common, it would still depend on various factors. It's maybe not so much an inappropriate age difference but an age difference at the inappropriate time in their lives.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >